maydayartist

English warship "Revenge" from 1577 in minifigscale 1:50

How did you get the flat side planks "bent" ... ? At least they look like they were bent :)

Any chance of bigger highres pictures to see more details? Are you on FlickR?

Amazing ship, very inspiring...!!

How did you get the flat side planks "bent" ... ? At least they look like they were bent :)

Any chance of bigger highres pictures to see more details? Are you on FlickR?

Amazing ship, very inspiring...!!

The planks are easily bent only by the pliability of the plates.

Only tiles and plates 1 x 4. You can take 1x2 too for a smaller bent but it will not look like a plank.

Phil

This is absolutely gorgeous! Very good work indeed.

One small question - was that coat of arms used because of your avatar?

One small question - was that coat of arms used because of your avatar?

No the other way around. The avatar is used because of this coat of arms.

It is the coat of arms of Elisabeth 1. in a light changed version by myself.

Very similar to the version on the drawing I used for my replica.

No the other way around. The avatar is used because of this coat of arms.

It is the coat of arms of Elisabeth 1. in a light changed version by myself.

Very similar to the version on the drawing I used for my replica.

Hm, are you sure? This is the only coat of arms I can find for the time period. The escutcheon you used wasn't until 1837. Nevertheless, that isn't Lego and it is still a fantastic build!

Hm, are you sure? This is the only coat of arms I can find for the time period. The escutcheon you used wasn't until 1837. Nevertheless, that isn't Lego and it is still a fantastic build!

Yep the same I found, but the drawings show another version.

So I take the dragon from yours and put it in the later coat of arms.

Maybe it is historical wrong, but I like it and every other wooden ship builder took the same.

heckspiegel.jpg

Here is a wooden version of an austrien modelship builder build with the same drawings.

I use his photos to retrace his rigging. (Sorry for bigger picture but it is only linked)

wpaca27144_0f.jpg

Jawdropping work Maydayartist, this has to be just about the last word in realistic Lego ships, i certainly can't think of one finer! :wub: Thanks for posting all the WIP pics too - it looks incredibly complex in there. I'll certainly be coming back to pore over all the beautiful deatils.

wow,

*scrolls back up to view at the pictures again*

wow

great work,

Bart

This is art in LEGO bricks...absolutely stunning. Nine months doing this is all worth it, the details look like intricate beadwork. I'm out of words...and so are the troves fans you gained from all over world. My salute to you sir!

Mayday, this is so great, best Lego ship I've ever seen! I really like the amount of realism you put into your mocs, I think this is skill few could possibly match!

Well, what should I say? You've shown me some pictures while "Revenge" was still in progress, and even then it was already completely mind blowing, built rather as a ship model made with Lego bricks than a MOC. Now even though you finished it relatively fast, the rigging and sails absolutely live up to the superior standard you've set with the hull. They are really much alike those seen on high-quality ship models.

This ship is a huge milestone not only as it is the first ambitious minifigure scale ship ever finished, but also the first ever Lego ship model.

I have myself often thought of a technique using tiles to resemble the curved hull planks, but after some experimenting thought it to be impossible. Now you have proven that it is, even though it didn't allow for an interior; but I believe that is a small price to pay for such a marvelous outcome. Well done! :wub::thumbup:

This is trulu amazing, it is the best ship i've ever seen, i love the hull it seems so lifelike, the details are also amazing, what i said, this is awesome!

When Captain Green Hair posted the first ship using his famous tumblehome technique several years ago I thought this was as good as it could get. Yet, on some occasions people managed to raise that bar. This is one of those rare occasions. You really raised the bar quite a bit and I think it'll be some time before someone manage to raise it again. This ship is gorgeous and amazing all round. Great lines, great techniques and wonderful details being the icing on the cake. You have created a masterpiece!

.... You have created a masterpiece!

Thank you very much.

I have done another picture edited by photoshop.

It shows the backside because it is my alltime favourite view.

Only the coat of arms is still missing on this picture pirate_sceptic.gif

The original is an oil painting with a ship on the waves.

Now my revenge rides on this waves pirate_satisfied.gif

This is a small version.

In my brickshelf is another bigger one.

1small.jpg

Edited by maydayartist

Well there is not much to say that hasnt been said already. When I first looked at your post I thought I was looking at a wooden ship model that you used for inspiration. After realizing that it was lego I was in shock. This is a remarkable achievement in the lego world. Like people above have said, You raised the bar to the top on this one. I am still scratching my head while studying the wip photos, and I havent quite figured out the technique. I hope some of the other great builders will catch on to it, and it will spread like wild fire. The full rigging is great, the details are perfect. Truely the best ship moc ever built. Well done.

-B

What an amazing build! I never use to be much of a fan of ships similar to this, but you've sold me! Everything about this ship is truly magnificent! wub_drool.gif

On a another note however: Just how many studs did you use to make the water? default_blink.gif

...: Just how many studs did you use to make the water? default_blink.gif

about 15000 over all pirate_wink.gif

13000 trans light blue

1500 trans clear

500 white