DrJB

Sets better destined as 'Spare Parts'

There are many criteria by which to decide if a given set is worth displaying, or better be 'recycled'. Such criteria can be aesthetics, number of motorized functions, or ultimately number of unique/interesting parts. This thread is about which of those sets you feel are best dismantled/recycled. I'll start with 5 ....

1. Backhoe with linear actuators 8069 - Cannot compare to the 8455 .... hence to the spare parts bin.

2. Mobile Crane 8053 - it's only a set of parts, especially if you have 8421

3. Jet Plane 9394 - The many red panels could be put to better use

4. Race Truck 8041 ... nothing dramatic about the design ... plus, black panels are very useful

5. Pick-Up Tow Truck 9395 ... many nice parts and little playability.

Any others you can think of?

Edited by DrJB

9398 - itisn't afwul (for me) but since there is 41999, 9398 could be user for spare parts, there 2 L motors, Servo and few other interesting parts

42000 - is good looking, some mocs prooved there are great possibilities for C-models. I'm considering having 2nd one just for parts

Every single models I bought got into the spare parts bin pretty quickly.

The more motors and special parts, the sooner it is bought and thrown into the said bin.

I'm a collector and builder, not an exhibitioner. So all my sets get build (eventually) and dismantled pretty soon.

Same here, I only have the 8109 on display for a couple of days while I'm building the Enzo, the rest of my models have all been dismantled.

I'm a collector and builder, not an exhibitioner. So all my sets get build (eventually) and dismantled pretty soon.

You missed out the 'not a' before builder. :snicker:

The mini backhoe is good for spare parts,if you need small panels then the pull back sets are good.

You missed out the 'not a' before builder. :snicker:

Recently that indeed seems to be the case. That's because you guys keep me very busy :laugh:

Recently that indeed seems to be the case. That's because you guys keep me very busy :laugh:

I don't keep you busy.... :look:

I display all of my sets for a while, then put them in the parts bin. I'm primarily a builder rather than a collector.

I should start another 'sister' thread to this one ... entitled: Technic Sets to be displayed only and never 'messed with' again ...

No matter how good the set is I destroy it pretty quickly and sort the pieces out, then just look at them for a few days, the rest of the story could only be described as brilliance and amazingness

No matter how good the set is I destroy it pretty quickly and sort the pieces out, then just look at them for a few days, the rest of the story could only be described as brilliance and amazingness

My son (who's into Technic/Mindstorms now) has a 'bad' tendency that .... if he wants a given/specific part .... he would tear down the whole set just to borrow that part. Of course then if the set is into pieces, it goes into a big box for 'to be fully disassembled / spare parts' ... I've told him some sets are a no-no such as the 8043/8110/8421/... On the bright side, it might be more fun to rebuild some of the old sets (8466 ...) on some cold/snowy christmas holiday...

Edited by DrJB

My son (who's into Technic/Mindstorms now) has a 'bad' tendency that .... if he wants a given/specific part .... he would tear down the whole set just to borrow that part. Of course then if the set is into pieces, it goes into a big box for 'to be fully disassembled / spare parts' ... I've told him some sets are a no-no such as the 8043/8110/8421/... On the bright side, it might be more fun to rebuild some of the old sets (8466 ...) on some cold/snowy christmas holiday...

It sounds like your boy is in it purely for the stimulation of building and not admiring, good on him I am the same too. Though I like the idea of builing the older sets and leaving them built, because they have parts that I do not need so there is no conflict of interest. Good way to have the cake and eat it too.

i have around 40 flagship models and none is build. i only buy for parts. for the moment i have 4 times 9398 and only 1 is build with xl motors for my truck trial course on our next event.the moc's i build and satisfy me stay build. but thats for showing on events . even 8421/8275/8285/8258/8043/8297/9398/8265/... are spare parts with me. and i have several copies of each. i do keep instructions, boxes and sticker sheets nicely stored away. and i never sell a piece i only buy extra pieces .

Has there been 40 different flagships? .... or that includes multiple copies of some?

He wrote that this includes multiple copies of some sets.

You're right ... I read quickly the first time and must've missed it.

8070 is a good one

I think 8070 is equally good, either displayed or as spares.

This summer I bought a 9395 for only € 28,- just for the part, I needed the black panels.

This summer I bought a 9395 for only € 28,- just for the part, I needed the black panels.

Those panels came in handy while building Madoka's SUVs

8070 is a good one

I turned my 8070 in the parts too. Reused some of it for a Techball robot.

I tried displaying 8070 but found it not display space worthy enough when the 8110 came along. :classic:

All sets are always disassembled. I don't have a great deal of parts, so the more available to MOC's the better :wink:

I'm ashamed to say I didn't even build 9394 cause I thought it was butt-ugly :laugh: Lots of red panels though, so a good parts pack.