The Obsidian Spike is the home to Lord Raavage and the Black Spire.

Sitting atop a rocky ledge in the swamp lands, the Spike only has one above ground entrance, though it is said miles of tunnels sit below the surface where worker Drow bring supplies, news and captives to Raavages home.

10451840144_ace6b8703b_b.jpg

10451840464_2518850d2d_m.jpg 10451858765_81faa7e13d_m.jpg10451854666_e2286c0932_m.jpg10452023043_7b3a004a1d_m.jpg

This build is actually fairly detailed, but all the black makes it very hard to photograph. I think I learned a few tricks along the way and finally got a few good pictures in the end! I updated the photo on the frontpage and in the challenge 1 thread to reflect the superior shots here.

And some fun details to check out of the build!

10451860685_7e70c87250_c.jpg

10451859985_959ef4988c_m.jpg 10451860925_67540de4ea_m.jpg 10452025273_7d6aeccecd_m.jpg

10452020373_786d5dda9c_m.jpg10451856995_6636f348c5_m.jpg 10451838814_d1112deb20_m.jpg

Anything else I missed might be viewable on this set in my flickr account.

It looks like Gollum went to the wrong set. :laugh:

Impressive work! The vulture is very clever.

A couple things really stood out to me after I had looked through the pictures on Flickr: You really captured the feel of a spike, everything seems very pointy :thumbup: I really like how you used grill bricks, they're not easy to make look good in a Castle creation, but here they work nicely; your rockwork looks very natural; the path that winds up the hill to the fortress is a great detail too. Overall a very impressive build and one that sets the tone nicely for all the Black Spire builds to come :classic:

Wow, that is one huge tower! I really like how you captured the feel of Nocturnus in this moc, the feel of darkness and death. :D The dark green bog adds a lot, and the chains are a lovely addition! You did a fantastic job taking photos of the black color, I could see every little detail! Well done, and I can't wait for the challenge to begin!

I forgot to comment this moc on the challenge thread but man this Obsidian Spire Spike rocks, it is gonna be hard to fight against these foes indeed.

My favorite part is the middle tower section.

Nice one Z, very big, but well detailed. I feel the spikes at the end are a little too crazy, btu thats my only nitpic, keep it up, go black spire!

Edited by ZCerberus
LD is trying to steal my power again.

just now, after looking at this pictures for the third time I recognized the vulture, very nice and creative use of pieces!

This is a great moc and refreshing to see. I really appreciate the great details you have achieved using a colorscheme that's hard to photo. I can imagine this thing looks even better in real life.

This is the sort of moc I really enjoy seeing, it's not made out of huge part intensive techniques yet still looks wonderfully detailed. I guess I'm just really getting sick of my own style lol

DC- Yes, it is hard to work largely in a single color that is admittedly hard to photograph. I learned that a combination of build techniques and photography tricks can make even black manageable.

Photo/ build tip- The big keys for me were to try to get depth in each wall section so there was something to pick-up while looking at the build from a distance and then learning the key to photographing black is reflections. Not only is black dark but it is highly reflective which makes the flash and glare your enemies. The reflective nature of the black also gives you an opportunity to increase your picture quality though. I surrounded the MOC in white poster board at all kinds of crazy angles and when the white reflected in the black walls, the details became more visible. I had a hard time getting the top section to reflect correctly because it is at angle compared to the rest of the build, but the pictures turned out pretty well.

LD (shame on you for trying to sneak in my real name again!)- I did go a bit spike crazy here and there with the white but it was all in an attempt to make it both more evil looking and to get some contrasting colors in with the black to make stuff like the angled walls to pop.

Excellent as always ZC. The black looks great, and I like all the spikes!

It looks twisted and evil, and just right for the setting. Good job!

I am impressed by how well you've managed to photograph the black bricks, but reading how patient you were in getting it right I'm even more impressed :classic:

Did i put in your real name? Mybad, im sure i called you zcerry though...

Great build Z, and thank you for getting the ball rolling here. Just a quick question: Is the pie and the pumpkin head a jab at DC for not joining Nocty? I may be just reaching, but the pumpkin is something I always relate to DC and then the pie for what the guild has to offer(old inside joke).

*EDIT* and by a jab, I meant a friendly one of course!

Edited by Kayne

Nope, any rivalry with me and DC would always be friendly of course, but it is actually a reference to the enchanted pumpkin pies we have in Nocturnus. Don't eat one or you'll end up like our friend in the photo.

Wow Z! Beautiful work! Love the size, angles, wall details, it's all perfect! I love how detailed your MOCs are! Incredible figs too! Nice ground detailing. Love the vulture too. Hey, if no one else is going to eat that pie, can I have it? That skeleton's obviously an Avalonian or Kaliphinite. Mitgardians love enchanted pies! Makes your beard grow! :laugh:

Lol I never twigged the pumpkin pie reference but now I do remember Z trying to lure me over to Nocty with te promise of Pie ! Although like Z says, it wasn't a hint! Although if it was it would have been a clever one!

We have non-deadly pumpkin pies as well, though if you eat one of those, would you be a cannibal?