For the annual Swedish LUG "Swebrick" exhibition, we were a few medieval/fantasy builders who got together and made a medieval community build for the first time for our LUG. It was based on modules with different content, for example I built a castle with surrounding water as my module.

The build is based on a depth of 4 standard 32x32 baseplates, with arbitrary width of each module. The baseplates are raised 1 brick + 1 plate at the interface between modules and slope upwards on the last baseplate at the back, with no height guidelines within the modules. At the front baseplate, a 8-wide road is centered.

The story behind the build was:

"The small kingdom of Castonia is in a party spirit, as the annual tournament week is at its peak. All over the country there is a lot of movement, as travelers from the neighboring provinces also arrive to take part in the festivities. During these days there is a lot happening everywhere, not only on the tournament field but also in the town and villages around the mighty castle".

Builders (Swebrick nicknames, some of us the same here on EB): Insurrection (forest 2x4), Carl_T (forest 2x4), Gideon (castle 3x4), Anders67 (joust 3x4), Odidoma (crossroads 2x4), Skafte (monastery 3x4), dalle (town 3x4 + mill 1x2), sweMezza (river 1x2 + landscape 1x4).

10447062246_8479a6f84b_z.jpg

10447106556_a0c967cbb8_z.jpg

Forests by Insurrection and Carl_T

10447177613_b75cd22d00_z.jpg

My castle (I will feature this in GoH as well sometime in the future, so there will be more pictures)

10447100124_9a6fc40f18_z.jpg

Joust by Anders67, Crossroads by Odidoma

10447121386_7459568448_z.jpg

Monastery by Skafte

10447221473_ae68f079ef_z.jpg

Town and mill by dalle, river and landscape right of town by sweMezza

10447169365_89b4e04ce8_z.jpg

More pictures on flickr

Edited by Gideon

Curse you all and the outrageous amount of bricks you have!

No, but seriously, this is a sweet layout. Is that Sir Gideon I see along the top of the castle?

I really like the different parts and I hope to extend my part in the build if we get the chance to show it again in public.

This is an amazing layout. Fantastic collaborative effort!

I really like the different parts and I hope to extend my part in the build if we get the chance to show it again in public.

Shall I count that in already in the application for the next exhibition...? 3x4? 4x4? :classic:

Is that Sir Gideon I see along the top of the castle?

It is, and I included de Gothia's sigfig there as well as he was rumored to show up undercover as a visitor (which turned out to be true we now know :classic:)

excellent job, excellent layout sir Gideon!

Thanks! But my part was as I stated above the castle (and some of the conceptual work for the "rules", which still left each builder with a lot of freedom between the interfaces of each module), so the other guys should have the credit they are due as well :classic:

I really enjoy seeing Castle Collabs and this one is very impressive :wub: The layout works nicely and there are lots of great details :thumbup:

wow, this is amazing! So many fantastic details, well done guys! I am really digging the layout, and everything looks great! Your castle looks amazing, Gideon, I can't wait to see more pictures of it! Well done guys!

Holy wow!!! Amazing build by all involved! Your castle is fantastic and I love the little bridge out the front of it. And the landscaping is great throughout and that town :wub: so many buildings close together and yet it doesn't look too crowded, amazing! And I love the cave too :classic:

Great work by all and happy building :laugh:

Truly wonderful! The few pictures here doesn't do the build justice since there are so many great details all over. I'm still a little ashamed that I never got around to build any modules for this layout, but I'll do my best to contribute to the next display.

This is beautiful and inspiring. It has many details I'd love to incorporate into my own castle layout. I have one built, but I wasn't happy with some portions, so I may take a closer look at this and see if there are any changes I can make.

But the entire layout is impressive and detailed. I love what I am seeing.

Thank you all for the encouragement! Hopefully this will also be displayed at Lego World in Copenhagen in February (fingers crossed that it gets accepted), so if anyone is going there you might have a second chance to seeing it :classic:

Truly wonderful! The few pictures here doesn't do the build justice since there are so many great details all over. I'm still a little ashamed that I never got around to build any modules for this layout, but I'll do my best to contribute to the next display.

Looking forward to your contribution! Any ideas for a module yet?

Maybe a castle for the fall 2014 incarnation of this so I can get my light bluish gray parts back into circulation...? :wink:

Awesome project Gideon, everything looks so nice and tasteful, quite a thing to admire. I just wish I knew some people living nearby I could cooperate with!