Lipko

[TRIPLE] Wind-up insectoids WIP

Wind-up Insectoid toys using the new pull-back motors.

The initial idea is to make the three life-cycles of a butterfly: larvae, cocoon and the butterfly. All models would work and use a wind-up mechanism with the new pull-back motors.

Since the cocoon wouldn't be an interesting model (I guess the butterfly could get out of the cocoon), I thought that it would be more interesting to build a separate legged walking insect as the second model. Would that be a valid entry? The relation between the 3 insects would be the fact that they are insects and they use the same principle for their motion.

Anyway, the fist prototype of third model is done: a flying insect.

Features flapping wings. I still haven't decided yet, if it's going to be a butterfly, or a dragonfly with 2 pairs of wings.

p1380256_.jpg

p1380258_.jpg

p1380262_.jpg

The wind-up mechanism works by turning an ratcheting axle (see last image, behind the eye of the insect) then pulling the axle outwards a bit.

Looks great so far :)

Still pondering on my build, all good ideas seem to be taken.. :/

Now this is something origiinal! I love it, can't wait to see the rest! :thumbup: :thumbup:

This competition is great, as builders (me at least) have to work outside of their comfort zone, and really think outside the box! Not just the limited parts available, but the fact you need three models, that need to work together! And on top of that, come up with something original! :classic:

Great to see some non-vehicles! I wish I could think of a way to make your cocoon idea work, to get a proper triple connection. I believe that what happens inside a butterfly cocoon is just a fluid, the caterpillar just 'dissolves' into a slush and then the slush reforms as a butterfly. Guess you could just fill a shell (made of panels) with a load of loose parts :wink:

Yep, I think Crazy Ted did a great job with this contest.

:blush: .. thanks :sweet:

And Lipko is doing a great job as a contestant. Very nice! Can't wait to see the other models.

Wow ... great model ... I'd leave it with a single pair of wings and call it a Mosquito. Looking forward to see what else you come up with.

i love it!!! finally something original in technic! Lego should publish something similar instead of the usual car and truck :)

i must find some idea for this compo :)

Unless you royally screw up I think my entry stands no chance :P

Excellent work and great concept.

Never thought about using pull-backs.

Unless you royally screw up I think my entry stands no chance :P

Excellent work and great concept.

Never thought about using pull-backs.

There's always a 2nd and 3rd place :laugh:

Thank you for your comments!

Don't praise the idea in advance, the execution will decide how an entry will do.

Anyway, I'm thinking about adding a second pair of wings, because the two pairs would nicely balance the load on the motor. At the moment, the wing-flapping motion dies way before the full motion range of the motor is used, because it can't lift the wings.

The other thing is that the model is only 180 pieces at the moment, so there's plenty of place for adding stuff.

We'll see, I could balance the wings with rubber bands too.

The hardest will be to make the slithering worm look cool. The working prototype is already done, and based on this little fellow:

tta1541_wally_worm_wind_up__78519.jpg

It will be hard to make it look a killer-horror-terminator-insectoid....

Edited by Lipko

I'm very curious how you will create the necessary contours for the 'worm'. Probably lots of soft axles and ribbed hoses (me gusta)?

After two weeks of struggling, I still couldn't make the walking insect work. The pullback motor is just not powerful enough to propel the insect by its legs, it immediately stalls if the model has to be lifted just a tiny bit. Since the most important aspect of the concept is the wind-up operation (all the versions I tried worked with a single M motor), I will try to use wheels for propelling the insect.

Anyway, added a second pair of wings to the first model and a posable head.

p1380308_.jpg

p1380309_.jpg

p1380310_.jpg

p1380313_.jpg

p1380319_.jpg

It does look good. I'm not sure about the head and eyes but keep working on it.

H