Sign in to follow this  
henrysunset

30 projects in 30 days - Lego Architecture Studio 30-day challenge

I wanted to share a project that I'm doing which I think will be interesting to the members of this community. I've recently purchased the Lego Architecture Studio set, and I created a personal challenge to build 30 models with the bricks from this set in 30 days. Each day, I create a new building challenge to try and build, and I've already completed 9 models so I'm almost 1/3 of the way done! I hope that others will take the challenge, either by doing the same 30 challenges I've done, or expanding the idea with new challenges to try.

Learn more about the project: http://tomalphin.com...-challenge.html

Please take a look and let me know what you think! I'm especially interested to hear if others have taken on similar personal challenges, or if you have idea of other challenges I should try...

Sincerely,

---tom

Gallery of a few of the projects I've built so far:

IMG_3535-600x395.jpg

Lego Challenge #8: Make a model of a piece of furniture

IMG_0719-600x400.jpg

Lego Challenge #5: Build a model based on an architectural style

IMG_0682-600x400.jpg

Lego Challenge #2: Build a microscale home, then a bigger model with more details.

IMG_3666-600x400.jpg

Lego Challenge #9: Fire Lookout Tower

Edited by henrysunset

Very nice models... love that desk!! :sweet:

Have you been tempted to add any of your own white bricks to the contents, in case you run short of a particular part, or want to make something larger... or is this challenge just within the framework of the parts in the existing set?

I believe that the origins of the LEGO Architecture Studio Set had its origins in something that the TLG folks did in Oslo Norway about 5 years ago. They had over a million white LEGO elements and allowed folks in a public square build with the parts supplied by TLG... the results were displayed there... and there were some very stunning creations built very quickly. I tried to find a link to these photos, but could not find it. I was amazed because of the speed in which these creations were built... just by passersby of this display area. I guess when you reduce LEGO to just 1 color... it speeds up the time for building, and provides a result that is pure architecture, without the hassle of color choice or digging for more of a particular color, which all contribute to a slower build.

One of the most interesting monochromatic white models was from the 1985 Centre Pompidou LEGO Exhibit in Paris... by a group of European architects... this model used over 40,000 LEGO elements....

10412139184_bcbc500d6b_b_d.jpg

This model has Classic, Neo-Classic and Post Modern architectural details all wrapped into one model.

This image is from my 3000 page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.

Gary Istok

Edited by LEGO Historian

Have you been tempted to add any of your own white bricks to the contents, in case you run short of a particular part, or want to make something larger... or is this challenge just within the framework of the parts in the existing set?

I have definitely considered doing this, and I've already augmented the set with a few additional specialty pieces from bricklink, mostly hinges and 1x2 technic pieces to allow for angled structures. I am taking notes along the way, and will be buying many more bricks and accent pieces (especially 1x1 2/3 slopers and various studless plates) to enhance my building options in the future. I am planning a post near the end of the project to call out specific bricks that I think the set should have included. That said, it is an impressively versatile set as-is, and I commend Lego for the selection they included.

Keep reading, and feel free to subscribe to the blog to get the (nearly) daily updates.

---tom