Features

-openable doors

-tiltable cab

-ackerman steering geometry

-inline-4 engine

-pneumatic lifting rear axle

-pneumatic tipping bed

dsc_0262.jpg

It measures in at roughly 550 pieces in LDD, sans the pneumatic stuff.

I could get it below 500 by removing the engine and it's driveline and attachment, if 550 is too many pieces :classic:

I haven't decided on the two remaining models, but have a couple of ideas that are more original than a simple truck

Very nice!

Thanks for posting your WIP :thumbup:

That's a good start. Trim the piece count down and you will be well on your way.

Thanks for sharing.

H :thumbup:

One possible second model, though I haven't decided yet

Absolutely not finished yet :sweet:

dsc_0263.jpg

Edited by D3K

Nice MOC! Are you going to make a front loader to go with it?

dsc_0265.jpg

Conveyor-belt of some sort?

Some sort :laugh:

That truck is awesome! Is the second model a hover craft?

Thanks, and no, it's not.. but that would've been cool! :classic:

That loader looks great. You've got a real talent for designing, D3K. Did you use LDD beforehand? And what are the approximate part counts?

Edited by jantjeuh

Thanks!

In both these cases I built the model in bricks first, just to get the desired size, shape and functions, then in LDD just to get a part count:-)

The loader is heavily redesigned from the initial model, especially mechanically.

If the model turns out to have too many pieces, I use LDD to try and find alternate solutions.. Every small part counts! I'll tell you some of the tricks I've used when the contest is over;-)

The truck is roughly 550 pieces, while the loader us just over 450 (but not finished yet)

Thanks!

In both these cases I built the model in bricks first, just to get the desired size, shape and functions, then in LDD just to get a part count:-)

The loader is heavily redesigned from the initial model, especially mechanically.

If the model turns out to have too many pieces, I use LDD to try and find alternate solutions.. Every small part counts! I'll tell you some of the tricks I've used when the contest is over;-)

The truck is roughly 550 pieces, while the loader us just over 450 (but not finished yet)

Sorry to disappoint, it's not RC...:-(

I'm going for models with playability in the sense that you can sit on the floor and drive them around fast and easily, and easily use the desired functions:-) will show how it all works in a video when it's all 100%

Sorry to disappoint, it's not RC...:-(

I'm going for models with playability in the sense that you can sit on the floor and drive them around fast and easily, and easily use the desired functions:-) will show how it all works in a video when it's all 100%

Oh ok. But it still has power functions so that's still good!

Truck, Loader and Conveyor-Thingy

Here is my finished entry, so that people can quickly find it to have a look when the voting begins!

This post is pretty much a direct copy from the entry topic.

1024x576.jpg

The idea is for the loader to be able to continue digging, filling up the conveyor thingy, while the truck drives off with it's load. Then, when it comes back, one can just switch on the conveyor, and it will fill the truck, all the while the loader keeps digging and loading.

1024x576.jpg

The basic idea of the models are:

-a high factor of playability

-utilizing the different types of mechanical solutions available in the LEGO Technic system.

First, the conveyor:

1024x576.jpg

The motor you can see drives the main diagonal conveyor, geared down 1:24 for a smooth ride for the bricks. On the other side is a similar setup, but with a further 8:24 reduction to make the rubber tracks in the "trough" move at a slower speed, as to not overload the main conveyor. Misc techniques have been used to minimize the amount of pieces, like using long axles instead of multiple friction pins, etc etc. Solutions you would probably never see in an official set, but they serve their purpose here.

Next is the truck:

1024x576.jpg

As you might notice, I reduced the height of the tipping bed compared to the pictures in my WIP topic, to reduce the part count. This had the added side effect of making the truck better looking IMO. The truck utilizes two separate pneumatic circuits, one old style, and one new style, intending to show two ways of accomplishing the same thing.

It features:

-Openable doors

-Tilting cabin

-Ackerman steering geometry, HOG steering

-Lifting rear axle (small pneumatic cylinder)

-Dumping bed (long, old style pneumatic actuator), with hatch

-Inline-4 engine driven by differential from the 2nd axle

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

Lastly, is the loader:

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

Again, with playability in mind, there is no HOG steering. You push it around, hand placed on the rear. This also lets you operate the electric digging functions with the same hand, by manipulating the two exhaust pipes on the back, using two fingers.

1024x576.jpg

It features:

-lifting boom from one L-motor placed vertically in the drivers cabin, and two LA's

-tipping shovel from one M-motor placed in the front, and one LA

-easily removable battery box (pulls out from the back)

Awesome entry man! I wonder where you got those old pneumatics... :laugh:

Thanks! yesh, one has to wonder! :wink:

Please don't bump a two month old topic, just to say it's awesome!