Sign in to follow this  
LegoFjotten

[SoNE Free Build] RZ-2x Experimental Interceptor

Similar to the RZ-1 Interceptor (or "A-Wing" as it was commonly called) the RZ-2x is a small but highly capable interceptor.

10364557563_1db22a3d0f_c.jpg

The RZ-2x is equipped with three modified J-77 Event Horizon engines, making it (at this time) the fastest interceptor in the known galaxy. Unlike the RZ-1, it is Astromech compatible, with the Astromech handling weapon systems, shields, sensors and flight assist. With flight assist activated the Astromech will smooth out the pilot's movement making it easier to maintain control of the craft. This has proven to be a double edged sword though, if the Astromech is lost, the way the ship handles will change drastically for the worse.

10364373654_32642cceee_c.jpg

10364374446_bb48206f3a_c.jpg

Like the RZ-1, armament consists of a set of Borstel RG-9 laser cannons, and 2 Dymek HM-6 Concussion Missile Launchers. It is also equipped with the same senors and countermeasures as the RZ-1.

10364564053_bf0a4d51a3_c.jpg

A very small number of prototype units have been produced so far, and there is a high chance it will never make it into full production due to the high costs of production and maintenance (production costs are twice as high as the RZ-1).

10364362195_af512c5e91_c.jpg

C&C welcome!

I want this to be judged.

Nice use of the electrical engines :). It must make it quite heavy - unless of course they keep falling off :)

So... for the fligh assist you just put the astromech inside the engine? :grin:

Naah... it's just the angle of the photos that makes it look that way! :laugh::look:

It looks like a cross between the RZ-1 and the N-1 :thumbup:. I like the front of the engines, they look like Rebellion tec.

A very nice looking ship. It’s clean, smooth, and I really like the color combo with the inclusion of the silver pieces. The stand is also well done and fits with the ship appropriately. Something that bothers me is the lack of any intakes on the front of the side engines and that Astromech that looks like it’s seated inside the middle engine. I would suggest repositioning him or eliminating him all together and adding something that resembles an intake on the side engines.

What a cool ship! I love the dark red and chrome color combination. The old gray somehow doesn't feel right here. Makes a color too much in this scheme, not like in castle MOCs. My favorite is the front view! As other's already said, astromechs position is a bit odd. Maybe putting the rear engine back for 2 studs would give just enough space to position it like in System sets ...

Thanks for the comments guys! I gotta admit the placement of the Astromech is a bit of a goof-up on my part, didn't think that through at all...

I've actually made a small change moving the droid in front of the engine, just need to decide if I should do more changes before I reshoot. Maybe I'll try moving the engine back a bit too, to see if that works better, now the droid is a bit squeezed between the windshield and engine.

As for the old gray, yeah, I'm not loving it either, but that's the color I have that part in. I tried a few other variations without the engines but none felt right. I wish it was possible for everyone to cyberswoosh it though, the extra weight added by the engines is awesome - it just feels right. :laugh:

Now this is a ship I would like to see in the Sequel Trilogy! It's very familiar to the "normal" A-wing, but the design looks more advanced and somewhat reminds me of a Coruscant air speeder. You've struck the perfect balance between conservation and innovation. Well done!

The astromech does'nt bother me. But maybe you could use that other engine part with a square cut out (I'm sorry, I'm not capable now to describe it more accurately. It's the piece that's used in the UCS Imperial Shuttle ...). I wonder what a spaceship would look like when it had a sidepod (like a sidecar on a motorbike) for the astromech... Just cruising along with your best mechanical friend :grin:

The color scheme works really well with this ship. It's chrome, and a lot of it, but it still seems OT-esque. Plus, the model definitely looks plausible as an A-wing predecessor. :thumbup: I think the area behind the engine struts ends a bit abruptly, though; maybe some greebling or something there so it doesn't become empty so quickly?

Very nice ship and great use of those motors! The old gray did unexpectedly not bother me at all :classic:

Wonderful model! It is really an improvement to the standard a-wing. I like the placement of the cannons and the chrome fits nicely on the fighter. Does it come in different colors?