Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Petraea University - Grand lecture theatre and debating hall

This was my original idea for the Petraea University community build... last year. Yeah, i know, please don't laugh! :facepalm: Anyway, i got it done finally, and now the university has a focal point for meetings, debates, lectures, examinations and demonstrations of all kinds! :classic:

On the occasion of the opening of the main lecture theatre on the Petraea campus, Kaliphlin's leader Dextrus Flagg is presented with an honarary degree for his services to the guild. Many of Kaliphlins' nobles and notables are on hand to witness the event!

theatre1editbeb_141013.jpg

theatre16editbeb_141013.jpg

Although it is permissable for students and visitors to carry weaponry in many areas of the university, the main lecture theatre represents the heart of peaceful conduct and the pursuit of knowledge on campus, and weapons are forbidden here. The only exception are the wardens of the theatre, who are armed with the ceremonial "spears of insight". (Thier role in keeping the peace is moot, as most university staff are high level practicioners of the arcane, and could do more damage with a wave of thier little finger than the wardens could with a whole host of spears!)

theatre9editbeb_141013.jpg

Dextrus Flagg is presented with his honarary degree by Chancellor Naseefa Khalifa, who is also Dean of the Law faculty.

theatre2editbeb_141013.jpg

Herr Liebniz and Doktor Frankenstein have reserved themselves a handy vantage point in the gallery to watch the proceedings. "Goodness!" Herr Liebniz exclaims, "It seems that everyone is in town this weekend! The only noble face i can't see is.... Da Maximus, yes. Must have important matters of state to attend to. But there is Moonlord Kha on the other balcony, who is his companion i wonder? And Ageven Derain, Gex Marmota, Rasputin Jones too. Erudhalion Sansael now too, long time since i've seen him in the capital! And who's that coming down the stairs? Can't quite make them out.."

theatre4editweb_141013.jpg

"Oof! (puff, puff).... Am i late?" Abu Ali cries. I found this remarkable scroll in the library and i just lost track of the time...

"Shh!" remonstrates Rasputin sharply as he taps the leg of his dress armour impatiently. "They are just about to begin, quickly, find a seat dear sir."

Abu Ali gratfully leans back against the nearest pillar. He looks across the theatre, noting the familiar faces of Paulos, Wahil Musca, Amelia Phantomhive, Gideon and Masa of Kaliphlin. "But who is that beautiful young woman in the millitary coat?" he wonders. He winks at her, but Captain Hardiel's daughter is made of sterner stuff, and his overtures fall on stony ground. "Ah well," he consoles himself, "She must be preoccupied with more important matters than a foolish old man like me. Young Lord Drakon isn't having any better luck i see!"

theatre5editbeb_141013.jpg

Lord Sansael and Lord Parsel's bodygaurds, denied entrance into the theatre, decide to while away the time by playing cards. Who has the better hand i wonder?

theatre12editbeb_141013.jpg

Ah, it's a students life for me! Better not spill wine on that library book though, i hear the fines can be quite substantial..

theatre6editweb_141013.jpg

A pic of the back of the dome, for those who are interested! :classic:

theatre14editbeb_141013.jpg

And a last pic, just cause i like this view. Thanks for looking peeps, any feedback or criticism would be much appreciated! :classic:

theatre10editbeb_141013.jpg

ps. It was my intention to include as many Kaliphlin members as i could in my moc ... if i have left anyone out i sincerely apologise! I either didn't have the minifig parts to make a recognisable sigfig for you (sorry Da Maximus) or, well, i just forgot. Apols again if so!

That is an amazing structure, the exposed beams are well done. Great work Gabe!

It's fantastic to see another Kaliphlin build from you, Gabe. This has all that I've come to expect of your MOCs, a wonderful colorscheme, just the right amount of different textures and decorations, and difficult angles/shapes pulled off beautifully :thumbup: The dome is magnificent, I don't recall seeing a dome with an interior and exterior built out of LEGO before. The two towers have a really neat shape and your use of those large 'wing' plates in the design is fantastic :wub: The floor pattern is incredible and the curtains by the entrance are a great touch. Always fun seeing multiple sig figs in a build and there are plenty of them here :laugh:

just an amazing build!!! Really nice work! Look at all that details!

Wow, this is incredible, the inside of the dome is just amazing, it definitely has a university feel to it. I especially love the colors of everything and the two white towers.

Wow, I am stunned! So big, yet incredibly detailed! I am really liking your floor design, it looks well done! Your domed roof is just, wow! So many fantastic details in this, well done!

Truly magnificent, Gabe!

The amount of work that has been put into this is really something, all those different details that comes together so perfectly are not coincidences.

Absolutely extraordinary! :sweet::thumbup:

Wow! Gabe, this is awesome! Love the dome! The floor is perfect! Love how you included so many members! Great work! :wub:

That is quite impressive! The varied display of colors is just too good.

Edit: I just realized there is a CMF bat on the ceiling :laugh:

Edited by Nightstalker

Great work, Gabe, the dome is spectacular and all the colors blend well IMO :thumbup:

Nice to see a lot of sigfigs too :classic:

Even the Nestlands were represented. Thanks Gabe.

As the guardsman to Aturl Prndrn, Sdair Zuuree was a little upset about the no weapons rule. But the Petraea University's selection of teas in the lounges is extensive.

One of the most amazing MOCs I've ever seen.

Colours are great, you done really good job with mosaic and minifigs are also very good. And all those small details (like pictures under roof) are brilliant. But defenetly, my favourite part is dome.

Great work Gabe :thumbup: :thumbup: I really like the architecture :wink:

Absolutely gorgeous. So much color and the scale of the build is even more impressive. Fantastic job/

P.S. Congrats for getting TBB'd.

Spectacular, truly one of the greatest buildings in Pretrea as well as the world. So much to like here, great colors, monumental architecture, the figs! (BTW that is Paulos' fig, not Petera -- Petera is under siege in Eastgate right now, by the missing DaMaximus. So it makes sense that they both are not there.)

Wonderful to finally see the final version! This really raises the bar of what we expect of structures on the campus of Kaliphlin's (Historica's?) center of learning :classic:

I love the level of detail you've put into the build despite its epic scale, especially that both the inside and the outside of the dome looks believable! I also like the effort you've put into recreating so many sigfigs, it gives at least me a much stronger sense of connection to this build when I see my fig in there :classic:

Feels petty to pick out something negative, but one thing which I think would have looked better is if the stairs and ledges on the sides would have been tiled or studless in some other way. It would have matched the incredible central floor better in my opinion.

Congratulations to the blogging, well deserved!

Wonderful MOC Gabe, represents Petreae University really well. The dome looks amazing as does the floor. And thanks for including Drakon in the MOC !

A beautiful and original moc, so vibrant and full of great details. One of the best mocs I've seen for a while!

Whenever i see your mocs i want to build kali, (and go to do so, getting stopped by me tiny collection)

btu in all seriousness, this is incredible, the dome is perfect, the interior is superb, the towers are beautiful and the use of colour complements everything so perfectly. legendary MOC man

Impressive, a truly spectacular moc that oozes with color, design and shapes that give a real plus to Kaliphlin.

This is the build from you I like the most. :classic:

Thanks so much everyone for all of your kind words about my build. I know i hadn't built anything for GoH in a while so i wanted to contribute something a little special to make up for that - and i'm feeling very excited about starting afresh in book II! Thanks again for welcoming me back into the fold after my absence. :blush:

<snip> I don't recall seeing a dome with an interior and exterior built out of LEGO before. The two towers have a really neat shape and your use of those large 'wing' plates in the design is fantastic <snip>

Yeah, the main technical brief i set myself for this project was to build a dome with both an interior and an exterior, so i was really pleased that it came together in the end. :classic: The two white fluted towers used a technique for i saw for making a space pod (can't recall by who atm, i'll have to hunt back through my Flickr favs to find it again so i can credit them) - the towers are the most fragile parts of the build and also the sections i feel need the most revision.

That is quite impressive! The varied display of colors is just too good.

Edit: I just realized there is a CMF bat on the ceiling :laugh:

Haha, good eyes! But i'm surprised no-one recognised Xena and Gabrielle in the front row... :wink:

Even the Nestlands were represented. Thanks Gabe.

As the guardsman to Aturl Prndrn, Sdair Zuuree was a little upset about the no weapons rule. But the Petraea University's selection of teas in the lounges is extensive.

No worries! I'd like to include more of the Nestlands folk in my mocs in the future. :classic:

Spectacular, truly one of the greatest buildings in Pretrea as well as the world. So much to like here, great colors, monumental architecture, the figs! (BTW that is Paulos' fig, not Petera -- Petera is under siege in Eastgate right now, by the missing DaMaximus. So it makes sense that they both are not there.)

Ah right, thanks for the correction, my apologies for the mistake! :look: I will amend the name in my sigfig list.

Wonderful to finally see the final version! This really raises the bar of what we expect of structures on the campus of Kaliphlin's (Historica's?) center of learning :classic:

I love the level of detail you've put into the build despite its epic scale, especially that both the inside and the outside of the dome looks believable! I also like the effort you've put into recreating so many sigfigs, it gives at least me a much stronger sense of connection to this build when I see my fig in there :classic:

Feels petty to pick out something negative, but one thing which I think would have looked better is if the stairs and ledges on the sides would have been tiled or studless in some other way. It would have matched the incredible central floor better in my opinion.

Congratulations to the blogging, well deserved!

Thanks Gideon, especially for the criticism - it's not petty at all, i'm always interested to hear what works and what doesn't for other ppl. :thumbup: I had originally planned to "scumble" (sort of what i would call dressing the surface) the stonework on the stairs and dias at the back, but it didn't end up looking right texturally and also it made everything a tic too high as well, so i decided to leave it in the end. I do know what you mean though, it doesn't bother me too much on the stairs, but the dias at the back is really noticable. :sceptic: (There's always this point where you think, is it worth it to dig down the correct level just to fix a cosmetic issue? I know i face this often and in this case i prob got a bit lazy! :grin: )

Whenever i see your mocs i want to build kali, (and go to do so, getting stopped by me tiny collection)

btu in all seriousness, this is incredible, the dome is perfect, the interior is superb, the towers are beautiful and the use of colour complements everything so perfectly. legendary MOC man

Thanks Legonardo! Yeah Kaliphlin builds really do involve a lot of fun and colour - it's what makes the guild so enticing i think. :wink: Still, Nocty looks like a heap of fun as well... as much (if not more) scope and variation to play with!

This looks like its filled with lots of different building techniques, its full of detail to, keep it up.