Sign in to follow this  
Werlu Ulcur

Green × Blue

I was really surprised to see that on BL currently a new sealed Emerald Night is more expensive then the Maersk train :wacko:. I know how spectacular the EN is, but being a recent model I would think that the Maersk would always be more expensive. But for once I'm glad I made the right decision and got the EN first, even though the Maersk was a must buy for me ever since I started this train business :sweet:.

EDIT: I originally wrote it the other way around. Fixed it now - sorry!

Edited by Werlu Ulcur

Interesting. I suspect there are a couple of reasons why. Just off the top of my head - 1) With the announcement of the Maersk Triple-E ship, they are no longer producing the "Maersk blue," so that has probably driven the price up of the original blue parts. 2) The Maersk train, I believe, was in retail for a shorter time period than the Emerald Night (can anyone confirm?) 3) Fewer units of the Maersk train were probably produced, due to it being a licensed product and therefore royalties being paid to Maersk 4) As lovely as the Emerald Night was, and even though it will be a sought-after collectible for a long time, the fact that it only came with 1 coach probably will kill its future resale value a bit. In order to get a proper train, you had to buy at least 3 units, so that means there are lots of partial Emerald Night sets and pieces (dark green, train wheels, etc.) out there. That probably has driven down the prices on what had been rare parts.

Edited by ritzcrackerman

Oh boy... :wacko:

I had a brain fart and wrote it the wrong way. Right now the Emerald Night is more expensive then the Maersk. Sorry, for the snafu, my bad :thumbdown:.

What ritzcrackerman wrote is how I see it too, so why is the EN more expensive?

I actually don't see the confusion... EN is older, longer retired and, frankly, a better (more complex and interesting) set.

But that's really all there is to it - in the line of "advanced/AFOL" trains, EN was released and retired before Maersk.

Not to mention that if you want an AFOL-oriented steam locomotive there is only the Emerald Night, whereas there are multiple options if you're after a diesel of some sort (Maersk, BNSF, Santa Fe)

EN is older, longer retired and, frankly, a better (more complex and interesting) set.

Really? You sure? I was certain that the EN was released after the Maresk :sceptic:.

If the EN is really older, and being a much more complex/AFOL-oriented set, that would explain the prices. But some months ago, when I bought my EN, the EN was definitively cheaper.