Sign in to follow this  
rocketandroll

MOC 'Executor' at studio scale

Hi folks

So, this is something I've been toying with for a good four or five years now on and off....

I have always though the Executor Super Star Destroyer (I don't buy into the Star drednought nonsense) is one of the coolest ship designs from the Star wars universe....

I always wanted to build a Imperial fleet in the same scale, Executor plus three or four attending Star Destroyers... all on flying stands.... and BIG.

I am still not quite convinced it's big enough but.... the scale of the original studio model (approx 1/4000th scale) at just over 9ft long seemed a good size for the Executor herself. This just conveniently happens to match the scale of the Mid-Scale Star destroyer that LEGO released a few years back.

So, I know people have made some big models of the Executor but i haven't yet seen a LEGO version that large (I'd like to get some ideas off it if someone HAS done one that scale!)

I am still considering making it larger still, perhaps 12ft long, but will have to see how finances go :-)

So... I'm keen to see what people's thoughts are on core construction of something THAT long? The idea is to build it around a welded steel base which will support it in two bolt-together sections (I need to take this to and from shows in a van) however i don't want to rely too much on that providing the structure as I still want this to be a LEGO model first and foremost.

One thought is (as I have a pretty vast amount of grey brick) to build the core structure that shows through in the ventral cityscape, aft engine area and the underside hangar area all in brick, all in a studs-up orientation, reinforced internally with some technic beam for longitudinal strength. If all that is in one piece then at the 9ft scale the brick-built section ends up about 6ft - 7ft long and 3ft or so wide at it's widest point... which isn't an insanely large brick structure (especially if split in two with a steel frame through the middle). The triangular outer 'wing' structure of the ship would then all be two-layers of plate on top, two underneath with technich beam 'honeycome' between them and would attach in huge panels over the brick structure.

It needs some experimenting but... does this sound vaguely plausible to anyone who has done very large stuff before?

I've had a very quick stab at recreating the greebling style of the original model, which is lots of horizontal flat sheet detail stacked in layers to make the cityscape... here's a small section i built... about 1/75th or so of the top area alone.... but I do have a LOT of light bley :-)

post-92625-0-63939200-1381929339_thumb.jpg

Thanks all!

Ben

This would be quite an undertaking. Best of luck! If you go through with it are you going to design it on LDD first or just start buying pieces and giving it a go?

The Executor is my all-time favorite Star Wars ship, so I love seeing these MOCs. Post lots of pics of your progress!

9 feet long you'd need to work on weight distribution. Early UCS Star Destroyer (10030) had problem with front end sagging down and bending 1x16 technic bricks and that one is tiny compared to 9 feet monster you want to make. Worse case, you might need a metal rod through the middle and build LEGO around it as scaffold to assemble the ship while the rod holds the shape and weight.

Hi Ben

Although this one is 'only' 2 metres long it might be of some help (link). I remember seeing one advertised on Ebay about 12 months ago that was 6ft+ and looked very stable. If you do a Google search for 'Lego 6 feet Executor' you should find some images of it, I think that this is one of them.

Good luck with the build, and please post updates on your progress :classic: