Sign in to follow this  
Darth Dino

10221 SSD Super Star Destroyer on sale - worth it, investment?

Hi

this topic should not be a a "which set should i buy?". I have seen the 10221 not only for today heavily discounted at Amazon. Actual Amazon.fr is seling it for 299€ instead of 419€ MRSP, Italy and Dpain did the same in the past few months/weeks. I wonder if this a EOL sign or what?

Do you think this is the time for colectors and maybe resellers? I like the idea using (unpacking, playing with) the set but still being able (after years) to sell it for the initial price.

I have read the review here (a funny one) that pointed up only two (but major) disadvantages. The flat bottom and the price. Hey, i can live with that bottom, i would display it this way that you se the top. What are you thinking about the price? Anyone herre that have this just to resell it?

Dino

Hi

no, i am in Germany. Ss far as i know it has been never that discounted in DE, but often in FR, ES and IT. But i do not care, i spent just 5-6 € shipping on that. No big deal spending that few €uros on a 300€ item.

So within the EU i can get those sets where they are discounted ;)

Dino

I actually own 2. They briefly went on sale here in the U.S. earlier this year for $299 and I couldn't pass it up. I have one built and on my desk (it's a large desk) and I think it looks amazing. I appreciate and understand the critiques on the model. I'm just a guy who loves Star Wars and loves building LEGO. I also love coming to this forum and seeing all the amazing work people do. That said, I don't make my own MOCs and every LEGO Star Wars UCS I own, despite flaws that people point out, I think is fantastic. I love my UCS B-Wing, I love my UCS Jedi Star Fighter and I love my UCS TIE Interceptor! They were a blast to build, visitors and friends are constantly blown away by UCS collection since they aren't in the LEGO hobby. If you think you're anything like me I think you'll really enjoy having this model on display for many years to come, it is quite the conversation piece. Unless you are friends with any of the die hard LEGO fans on this site, all your friends and family that see it are going to be blown away and won't ever think to mention the flat bottom :)

Also, I don't collect mini figures, they can be sold off for a good amount of money on eBay, I made about $80 just selling the mini figures :) All of my UCS Imperial Shuttle and SSD mini figs were sold via eBay to support my future UCS purchases :) They paid for my B-Wing when it went on sale for $100 here in the states :)

Regarding an "investment" it will be interesting to see how this set appreciates after it's retired. Most people on the forums seem to think it won't go up that much. If you hold on to it long enough though, surely you can sell it for a little profit - I don't see LEGO ever doing this set again :)

Lastly - if you keep it long term and ever want to take on a new project, you can MOD it like many have done here :)

I had a hard time saying no to this model but the fact is I simply can't find the space for it... all of my Star Wars displays are neatly arranged with the Death Star 10188 in the middle and I can't imagine where I could possibly put it!

It might be worth it just to get Bossk.... (sigh). Worst case scenario, though, is realizing 5-10 years down the road that it's a must have. I wonder... how much will it be then?