Larsen

MOC Millenium Falcon

Hello

I'm rather new to this forum, I've been lurking for some time tho.

I've always considered the Falcon to be one of the coolest designs around. I've also been telling myself if I ever got around to wanting to build it, I'd do it from scratch and in styrene, maybe on a wooden base, like the studio scale. I've certainly been telling myself that doing it in LEGO is stupid, it's hard to get the dimensions right and it'll cost you:-)

Until my 5 year old came to me one day and said: "Dad I'd really like a LEGO MF!"

I said: "The current set isn't really that cool, and the proportions are way off, plus it's really expensive!"

I probably shouldn't have said that, cuz he looked at me and I could tell he was putting two and two together. Then he said: "Dad, why don't we just build our own Falcon then... and it's gotta have guns dad, on top and on the bottom?"

I thought what the hell, and we started putting some pieces together, it quickly became apparent tho, that we did not have the needed parts, not if it was to be anywhere close to looking like the Falcon.

I did some research and found some good references including the base drawing of the MF off of studioscale.com. So this may go a bit slow, cuz I'm doing this with my 5 year old, but it's for him , and that's the way it is.

Anyway, this is our attempt at the Millenium Falcon, she's gonna be something around 65-70cm. About 0,78 percent of the studio scale. As of now, we've managed to build the forward mandibles which are pretty close to sticking to the proportions. The angle looking from the top, is slightly off, but acceptable.

The cockpit is a real PITA, and obviously too big, but that is a trade off so it'll fit two minifigs. This is the 4th or 5th time we've rebuild these sections alone and I think we're pretty close to what we can accept.

We hope to get some good suggestions along the way, and a lot of fun out of this thread.

Brian and son

post-90987-0-96629900-1381766877_thumb.jpg

It looks like a great start- is there going to be an interior and if so I'd love to see proper engine detailing that Lego never gave. Isn't there meant to be a place to store goods in the block between the forward mandibles????

Good Luck, and may the force be with you Brian and Son!!!

Thank you...

I'm not sure yet. I have been attempting to do the internal structure, but what I found was that it was rather impossible before I had an idea about where I needed support for the different things, like the mandibles, cockpit and the two "tunnels" that run from the center of the ship. So I started building those things first, before long we can begin to attempt to build the internal structure again... At first I didn't wanna bother, but thinking about I'm pretty sure that my son would rather enjoy having the the option of stuffing some minifigs inside, so I guess some sort of interior is an option.

BTW... what is it with the uploader, how come I can only upload 100K of images, do I have to bother with external links then?

Edited by Larsen

Thank you...

I'm not sure yet. I have been attempting to do the internal structure, but what I found was that it was rather impossible before I had an idea about where I needed support for the different things, like the mandibles, cockpit and the two "tunnels" that run from the center of the ship. So I started building those things first, before long we can begin to attempt to build the internal structure again... At first I didn't wanna bother, but thinking about I'm pretty sure that my son would rather enjoy having the the option of stuffing some minifigs inside, so I guess some sort of interior is an option.

BTW... what is it with the uploader, how come I can only upload 100K of images, do I have to bother with external links then?

It is advised to any member to upload and host pictures on an other site, and then deeplink them in your posts.

For example, you could use Flickr of Brickshelf.

Nice work by the way, but It looks not yet very sturdy, so I would work a bit on that too, because I think your son would like to swoosh it around. :wink:

Totally stoked to see your progress. I really enjoy when a MOC is so true to its subject matter that you forget that it's Lego. Here, I immediately see the Falcon for the first time in Mos Eisley and hear Luke's off hand remark, "What a piece of junk." Boy was he wrong - underneath I can see the history and attention to detail of a living ship being built and maintained by it's captain and copilot - in this case, you and your son!

Keep it up - I think this will be awesome when you are done - can't wait to see what you do with the interior!

(Side note - I'd never read the wookiepedia entry on the millenium falcon - fascinating stuff: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon)

It looks fantastic so far! Great angles as well, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Your moc is coming along nicely and i like how you made the cockpit big enough for two minifigures. I cant wait to see the finished ship.

Thank you kermit.

Been struggling with the plating, but I think I got it sorted. The square gap that forms at the joint will bee filled with greebles anyway, so no worries. I was rather surprised to see how big the central circular dish had to be, I was going on what I remembered, so I basically guessed at the size, when I did the math tho I was way off.

img_0436.jpg

Same goes for that fuselage section where the docking rings will attach. I have the proportions right, but I'd calculated that it'd be ok to use a 45 degree angle, knowing that it wouldn't be correct, but passable... But sadly I was wrong again. This makes it rather wide, no the proportions between it and the centralspine don't hold up. PLUS I can't seam to confirm weather these have a slight tilt down towards the edges or if they're straight.

img_0437.jpg

Anyway now the proportions are right, only now the central spine running down between the mandibles, isn't big enough. I just can't seam to confirm the right size of this thing... Plus it looks like it's actually getting broader towards the centercirclegunmountthingy, Blast it...

img_0439.jpg

AND I'm starting to run out of bricks as I try out new methods. Not sure the wife will approve of another order from LEGO.

Please disregard the other colors than grey, I really have to try different designs out before I go negotiate with the misses for more parts.

I want a LEGO making machine for Christmas:-(

Hi Brian, and welcome to Eurobricks!

This is starting to look really promising. I particularly like the scale you've chosen; larger than the current system set but not quite as imposing as the UCS version. You should be able to add a nice amount of detail without it turning into a money pit!

Apologies if you're already aware of it, but have you tried Bricklink as a source of parts? Obviously you'll need to shop around, but if you can find a decent supplier (or two!) they will be considerably cheaper than Pick a Brick for the majority of parts. I can highly recommend byggeklodsen who are in Denmark; I've used them several times and they're service is superb.

Anyway, good luck with the build, I'm looking forward to more updates :classic:

Hi Lobot.

Thanx for the comments, those where my exact thoughts on the size as well. I don't mean to be pompous or anything, but I do feel that LEGO could have done a better job on UCS Falcon, especially considering size and proportions. Take a simple thing as the size and especially the height of the landing gear... it's way off. Han has to bend down a little to get off the loading ramp. I haven't for instance seen one set yet that really gives the boarding ramp the love it really deserves, for me the ramp is a major part of the design and should be treated accordingly. Again not to flame the UCS, I know everyone consider it the, well Ultimate:-) and I do think it's very very cool.

Sorry, nough ranting from me.

Yeah I've tried different sources, incl bricklink. My biggest problem is that in using Bricklink I - living in Denmark - can't buy from the US, well I could, but it'd be very expensive to import. I have been using a supplier named Brugteklodser.dk it's really good, but the prices are about the same as new bricks, so I figured I'd rather have new ones. I haven't tried Byggeklodsen yet tho.

I'm somewhat confused tho, not having used Bricklink for anything other than complete sets, how does it work ordering different bricks from different sellers, I mean it must all cost a lot in shipping?

If your orders are reasonably sized (not too small) shipping costs are not bad at all.

Byggeklodsen is the shop I've used the most and I can highly recommended it. The bricks are new too.

I'm somewhat confused tho, not having used Bricklink for anything other than complete sets, how does it work ordering different bricks from different sellers, I mean it must all cost a lot in shipping?

Most stores will offer set price 'bands' depending on the weight (i.e. 250g, 500g etc). Once you've got a rough order in your Cart go to the checkout, and at the bottom of the order screen it will give you the approximate weight of the parts.....you can then add or remove parts as required. Provided that you take account of the potential packaging weight (box or padded envelope) you should be able to 'optimise' the total parts against any postage costs. Some stores have a minimum order size and/or a maximum number of lots (part types) but it should be clear on the 'Splash' page.

I've used Bricklink lots in the last couple of years and it's great fun (I've built a 10179 and 10143 from scratch :wink:); all of the sellers I've used have been great. Personally I only buy new parts, but that's just me. There's also an option to create a 'wanted' parts list but unless your ordering a lot I wouldn't bother!!

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Robin :classic: