Most American muscle cars came with automatic transmissions with the gear selection on the steering column, but the real racers used manual transmissions. A "Hurst Shifter" was an aftermarket addition to allow sequential shifting which nearly all serious racers used. So when I see a Mustang with a sequential gearbox, I think of Hurst.

Ok, I understand you now ;). I thought about a shift lever on the gearbox, but with the gearboxes of 3rd Gen it is almost impossible. It doesn't have a slider or a linear movement like the older versions(LR Defender for exemple) to add a shift lever easily.

Ok, I understand you now ;). I thought about a shift lever on the gearbox, but with the gearboxes of 3rd Gen it is almost impossible. It doesn't have a slider or a linear movement like the older versions(LR Defender for exemple) to add a shift lever easily.

I understand, thanks for the explanation. Having built the Defender, I am interested to see how the transmission building style has changed with the "Gen 3" sequential gearbox.

I will explain the differences between generations as soon as I have some free time. Now I am very busy again... I have to finish a new HUGE moc to present it this weekend in a event in Madrid.

I love how this moc doesn't have so many panels. The lines are captured so well!!!!

This is an outstanding supercar! Very well done...again :sweet:

I was fortunate to see the Shelby GT500 IRL on Lego Fanweekend in Skærbæk. I am still amazed how well this is designed. It looks spot on and all the standard functions Sheepo puts into his cars.

Thanks again for the very nice conversation and a "first look" at the car with a complete demo of all the functions.

I saw that you were interested in my 12x12 truck chassis, but at that time I was talking to someone else and couldn't give you a demo.

The monster truck is done and after I have a video I will post it on EB.

im more impressed by the body rather than the usual amazing mechanical stuff you add!

amazing work! well done!

Oh damn ... this is a absolute must-build! Unfortunately I don't have the necessary electric components. But it should be possible to make a "manual" version ...

Any news from Defender Review?

I am still waiting...

I saw that you were interested in my 12x12 truck chassis, but at that time I was talking to someone else and couldn't give you a demo.

The monster truck is done and after I have a video I will post it on EB.

Yes, it seemed very cool and funny, I'm looking forward to seeing the video ;)

But it should be possible to make a "manual" version ...

Yes, I will release both versions: RC, like it is showed in the video and other completely manual.

Yes, I will release both versions: RC, like it is showed in the video and other completely manual.

That's great! Otherwise I would have tried myself :wink:

I can say nothing except "epic". Maybe, because I have always loved American cars and Lego and now I can see both elements in one)

Thank you very much for your wonderful MOC, Sheepo!

Love it. Flawless and amazing. I especially like the aggressive hood's shape.

Edited by Sariel

First of all: Great car, very nice funcionality and design! :thumbup:

Sheepo: I wrote about the top speed also by the Defender, there was no response, and I had to ask the same about this car: How do you measure the top speed? 3 kph with this car? It's VERY hard to belive. It has a gearbox with many gears, differential, 3 kg weight (!) and only two L motors. L motor has 1,8 W power, in this car 3,6 --> without any gearing (efficiency matters) maybe It's possible to reach the 3kph. But with such drivetrain... Once I made a 2,2 kg semi-trailer: with the most efficient drivetrain (simpliest gearbox possible, overall 4 gear combination) and with two XLmotors, was able to go 1,1 km/h. Of course with good batteries. (Ok, with V2 receivers maybe 1,4.)

I hope you understand why I don't belive this top speed. If your car were 1 kg, then ok, but it's 3. That's why I asked about the measurement method, because your top speed isn't fit to reality. Was there a slope (gravitational help) during the measurement?

Edited by Mbmc

I will explain the differences between generations as soon as I have some free time. Now I am very busy again... I have to finish a new HUGE moc to present it this weekend in a event in Madrid.

Hi Sheepo, what event in Madrid?

Cheers

Jaime

I forgot something: you have increased rotation in the 5th gear (1:1,666), even with that and with maximum rpm of the L motor (390, it goes down much during the drive) and maximum (100%) efficiency you can reach 2,39 km/h with that rear wheel. If I see well the 28:20 and 24:8 reductions after the gearbox.

With numbers: (390/60)/(1,4*3) = 1,54 rotation per second --> 0,0816*3,141592 = 0,256 meter per wheel rotation --> 1,54*0,256 (*3,6) = 2,39 km/h

So the 3 km/h is phisically impossible. (Or you have extra gearing up somewhere)

But as I wrote, it's a great car, I'm just curious about your speed measurement.

Thanks Paul ;)

[...]

I hope you understand why I don't belive this top speed. If your car were 1 kg, then ok, but it's 3. That's why I asked about the measurement method, because your top speed isn't fit to reality. Was there a slope (gravitational help) during the measurement?

Can I have measure the speed wrong and the actual top speed is 2.5kph? Maybe, but does it changes something?...

In any case in your caculations you have forgotten a gearing up between the drive motors and the geabox.

Hi Sheepo, what event in Madrid?

This event: TrenBrick

http://www.alebricks.com/2013/09/10/trenbrick/

It is a event in the Train Museum in Madrid.

"Does it change something": in such big cars top speed is a very informative data, it matters a lot how much is the value. The faster car is better, if we see only the performance. :classic: If you can go even 2,5 kph with this two motors and two gearing up combination, you have specially overboosted L motors. (I'm an engineer, I see this moc also with "engineer eyes" :classic: ) Where did you write the gearing up between the gearbox and drive motors?

The "top speed and similars" are important because of the challenge to build a vehicle which is complex/big AND fast. This is the real challange IMHO with Lego motors. Speed is one of the biggest problems I see in this forum, with bigger, heavier cars (more than 2 kg) it's very hard to reach significant speed.

Of course, in a slope down you can reach easily even 5 kph with a big car, so in a special viewpoint the top speed you wrote can be true. But again: I like this car. :classic:

Others?

I understand perfectly your point of view :thumbup: .

Usually higher speed is better, and you are right with that. But for me that is not important, for me is enough if the car can moves well using all gearbox speeds. Because as you now with big cars is impossible get a good speed :cry_sad: :cry_sad:.

I know I use the 100% of the PF motors power, but I never have had problems with that, all my PF motors and IR receivers works like the first day. I burned a IR receiver 3 years ago, but that happened because I connected 2 RC motors to the same output and running at 100% :laugh: :laugh:

Just for some extra information, the gear ratio in fifth gear is 1:0.66 (1.67*1.67*0.33*0.71). Taking 300rpm under load of the L-motor-> 300*0.66*81.6*0.0001885(unit conversion constant)=3.04kph.

My 3,5 years old son say "Ford Mustang" from the first look! It means: You have made an excellent job with body! Even kid can recognize it!

Wish to see your Shelby witn Grohl's Eleanor (when he will finish it) together:)

Edited by rm8

holy cow- how will I be able to efficiently source parts for this beast! can't wait for the instructions! Great work, I am amazed

Awesome Mustang Sheepo! I can't wait for the instructions. Thanks for offering non-PF instructions too.