Sign in to follow this  
Bob De Quatre

SoNE Contest Episode II: Escaping from the wreckage

shadowsofeurobricks_titlecard.png

10159126546_6db6e83653_o.png

9427955207_7ca7492b46_o.png

10159452633_a9e74d337c_o.png

photo-thumb-11254.png?_r=1373570178

"Sir, our troops on Tatooine are closing to the Black Sun's hideout, but recons indicate that a rebel force is very close to us. Are we allowed to engage them."

av-erdbeereis.png

"This mission is of absolute importance! Do not let the rebels reach the Black Sun!"

av-navyofficer.png

"Sir we have lost contact with the troops. There is a huge sandstorm closing in on their position, it must be causing interference with our communication systems."

blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png

10159451463_fc09a15a2d_o.png

av-stash2sixx.png

"Our sensors indicate no living creatures are in the area. The sandstorm must have completely destroyed our Assault team and the Imperial forces."

av-rebeltrooper_yellow.png

"Sir the Avenger is leaving orbit! They must also consider that no one could have survived the storm!"

av-stash2sixx.png

"We can't let them escape! Track their destination and prepare to jump in hyperspace."

Meanwhile, in the sand-filled air, the surviving Rebels and Imperials start to realize that they’re left alone, lost in the desert among the remaining debris of their ships and ground transports. This wreckage might be their only hope to get away from the deadly desert...

9825528914_c15de7e759_z.jpg

av-stormtrooper.png

"Hey look! I've found some droids!"

av-tie_pilot.png

*Wave his hand* "These aren't the parts we're looking for..."

The Pile-o-bricks:

• The pile-o-bricks define what parts you can use and in which quantity. For this contest, the pile of bricks is composed of the following sets:
    • 75003 - A-wing starfighter
    • 9492 - TIE fighter
    • 9496 - Desert skiff

[*]The part list of the chosen sets can be found here [link] or [link].

[*]You cannot use the minifigs and their accessories included in the sets.

[*]You cannot use any extra parts included in the sets, only the parts used in the main build.

[*]In addition to these sets, you are allowed to use a maximum of 20 other bricks of your choice. The list of these additional bricks should be mentioned in your entry post.

[*]You can use a flat baseplate if needed. This doesn't count in the 20 additional bricks.

[*]You can use your sigfig, and any other member sigfig with no restrictions. However, any accessories that isn't part of the Pile-o-Bricks , and any other minifig count toward the 20 additional bricks. (A complete minifig with legs, torso, hands, head and hat/hair count as 1 additionnal brick)

[*]You are only allowed to use your sigifg "for free". Any other minifig pieces count against the twenty piece limit. Any minifig pieces separated from the minifig count as one piece. Minifig pieces can only be grouped to count as one piece when attached to other pieces from the same section of the minifig the way TLG divides them up. Any accessories can't be grouped with the minifig pieces. (So a hand by itself is one piece. A hand and an arm attached together are one piece. The whole torso assembly is one piece, the whole leg assembly is one piece, the head is one piece. Just the torso and the head together are two pieces. Just the torso and just the hips together are two pieces. A torso and a backpack together are two pieces. A hand, an arm, and a gun together are two pieces. A head and a helmet together are two pieces. A Stormtrooper with a blaster is five pieces: legs, torsos, head, helmet, blaster.)

[*]The use of decals included in the chosen sets is allowed but not mandatory.

The Prizes:

• From the Core Rules:
    • Your faction will receive points based on two factors:
      • Builders: Two points for each builder.

[*]These two totals are added to each other, and the faction with the higher total is the winner.

[*]All the players on the winning team will receive this tag gallery_11254_206_866.png to commemorate their victory. You can only have one of these tags or one of the Community Build tags at a time, but a log will be kept of all the tags you've earned in your profile in the Characters topic.

[*]The player who receives the most total individual points, regardless of team, is guaranteed a spot among the next set of the blog'sShowcased MOCs. (This member must still be able to provide a picture big enough and of suitable quality to be used in the Showcased banner.)

[*]You will receive XP equal to the number of points you are awarded from the judges.

[*]Other prizes to be determined.

The Rules:

• All rules in the Core Rules topic apply.
  • The Empire's goal and the Alliance's goal is to escape the debris field by any mean. All players should depict in their entry their character helping to fulfill that goal.
  • Remember to make your entry appropriate to your rank and goal. From the Core Rules:
    • Your build will be scored in two stages, to make it easier on the judges by lessening the number of builds that must be scored in greater detail:
      • In the first stage, the judges will award a score from 1-10, with a '1' being "Minifig on a Plate", a '5' being "Your Average MOC" and a '10' being "Flawless Concept and Execution".
      • In the second stage, the top five builds of each faction (so ten in total) from the first stage will be scored based on basic predetermined criteria: up to 10 points for the concept and appropriateness to the objective, up to 25 points for your execution of the build, and up to 5 points for your presentation of the entry.
      • For builders who make it to the second stage, their second stage total is added to their first stage points, and that total is divided by two. You can earn a maximum of 25 points in each episode.

[*]The amount of points you earn is also the amount of XP your character earns.

[*]The Episode will run from 14 October to 11 November, 2013. As long as it's still November 11th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.

[*]Entries posted after the deadline will be disqualified from the episode and will not be eligible to receive XP.

[*]This episode/contest is open to all players of Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka, even if they joined EB or signed up for the game after the episode has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win XP or prizes; the EB admins and moderators, who are not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP; and the episode host, who is not eligible to win prizes but may earn XP.

[*]One entry per member.

[*]All entries must be new creations, not posted anywhere else prior to being entered in the episode. You may be asked by a staff member to change your entry if it is too similar to an earlier creation.

[*]All entries must be built from real LEGO or with Lego Digital Designer. No clone brands, no third-party custom parts. If LDD is used, a link to the LXF file should be either mentionned in the entry or PMed to the episode host.

[*]You are allowed to use one customized/modified minifigure, your Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka sig-fig. Everything else must be purist.

[*]All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto's Junkyard subforum, the title prefixed by, "[soNE Ep. II]". (For example, "[soNE Ep. II] A nice Ugly".)

[*]Post pictures no larger than 1000x720, as specified in the EB Member Guidelines.

[*]You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited.

[*]All entries are considered WIPs (Works In Progress) until the deadline passes. Until the deadline has passed, you are allowed to change and improve your MOC.

LDD specific rules:

• Remember that it is a mixed contest, with both real bricks and LDD entries. Each one has it's advantages, but try to be fair with the other contestants.
  • Your entry must be buildable with real bricks. No floating bricks and such are allowed.
  • POV-Ray renders are allowed.
  • You must provide the LXF file of your entry, either with a link in your entry post or directly by PM to one of the contest hosts if you don't want it to be public.

Using custom palettes in LDD:

LDD allow you to use a custom brick palette, limiting the bricks available for building.

• Download the custom palette LXF file [link] or [link]
  • Go to the folder where LDD is installed (for example "C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer" )
  • Create a folder named ""UserPalettes"
  • Copy the custom palette LXF file to that folder
  • Launch LDD, start a new build
  • Click on the "Filter bricks by boxes" icon on the bottom left and select "SONE_EP2_sets". The brick palettes should now display only the selection of bricks and show the number of bricks you could use.

Edited by Bob De Quatre

Awesome. Stretching a small amount of pieces is what I do best in MOCing. :tongue:

What's the ruling on minifigs? I know none from the sets, and I'm assuming our sigfigs can be used, but are any others?

Awesome. Stretching a small amount of pieces is what I do best in MOCing. :tongue:

What's the ruling on minifigs? I know none from the sets, and I'm assuming our sigfigs can be used, but are any others?

I knew I should have mentionned that :sadnew:

You can use your sigfig, and any other member sigfig with no restrictions. However, any accessories that isn't part of the Pile-o-Bricks , and any other minifig count toward the 20 additional bricks. (A complete minifig with legs, torso, hands, head and hat/hair count as 1 additionnal brick)

Rules updated :classic:

Edited by Bob De Quatre

This is an interesting concept for an episode - it's quite a challenging task using only the restricted pile of bricks. Especially if someone does not posess all the sets. Therefor allowng the LDD entries seems logical though I'm quite against it for competitions ... Also one question about the LDD entries. Do they need to present possible builds or are we allowed to use some impossible touches like floating bricks and such? And are LDD entries allowed to be rendered with povray? Anyway I still think I'll stick to real bricks, just need to buy that TIE fighter which I wanted to anyway - what a great excuse I have now :grin:

This is an interesting concept for an episode - it's quite a challenging task using only the restricted pile of bricks. Especially if someone does not posess all the sets. Therefor allowng the LDD entries seems logical though I'm quite against it for competitions ... Also one question about the LDD entries. Do they need to present possible builds or are we allowed to use some impossible touches like floating bricks and such? And are LDD entries allowed to be rendered with povray? Anyway I still think I'll stick to real bricks, just need to buy that TIE fighter which I wanted to anyway - what a great excuse I have now :grin:

That's a good question... I'll update the rules to make clear some points about using LDD. Thanks MstrOfPppts.

Another LDD related question: Is this a direction change in SoNE so future episodes will per default also allow LDD, or is it related to the fact that this episode is limited to a set of parts that not everybody may own?

I actually missed the whole LDD thing on my first quick skim of the rules, gotta learn to pay more attention... :blush:

I guess it's just here for the restrictions. It'd be unfair to demand from users to buy certain sets or making it impossible for them to participate in an episode. But there might still be similar episodes in the future I guess. Maybe It'd be interesting to see a LDD only episode?

I guess it's just here for the restrictions. It'd be unfair to demand from users to buy certain sets or making it impossible for them to participate in an episode. But there might still be similar episodes in the future I guess. Maybe It'd be interesting to see a LDD only episode?

That's it exactly.

A LDD only episode is a possibility... But I'm not sure it's a good idea, even tough I'm a LDD builder myself.

So assuming most of the players use default avatars - we're allowed to use a lot of ordinary Stormtroopers / pilots / rebels? And is this topic going to be pinned and appropriately tagged?

Also a minor aesthetic correction - to go with original SW numbering and also with previous episode - the entry topics should be prefixed with [soNE Ep. II] instead of [soNE Ep. 2]. :laugh:

Enough talk, now lets go back to building the drawing board ...

So assuming most of the players use default avatars - we're allowed to use a lot of ordinary Stormtroopers / pilots / rebels? And is this topic going to be pinned and appropriately tagged?

Also a minor aesthetic correction - to go with original SW numbering and also with previous episode - the entry topics should be prefixed with [soNE Ep. II] instead of [soNE Ep. 2]. :laugh:

Enough talk, now lets go back to building the drawing board ...

You're right. I corrected the entries prefix, but someone have to change the thread title... and pin the thread, and tag it :classic:

You can use any standard stormtrooper, TIE Pilot, rebel trooper or pilot... even if you're in the opposite faction. You can also use sigfig of other members, rebels or imperials. And those minifig don't count in the 20 additionnal bricks.

gallery_11254_206_866.png "As the power of the Rebel Alliance grow in the sector, a nearby Jawa tribe has offered you some equipements to help you in your next task."

Rebel players can now use the bricks of the 9675 - Sebulba's Podracer & Tatooine set.

The updated part list can be found here [link].

The update LDD custom palette can be found here [link].

Good thing I own all of those sets!

I hope I will be in time for this episode. If not, I will just make a diorama with a tie fighter shooting a skiff in the sarlac, while sebulba's racer will get blown up by an a-wing :grin:

Now this got me in for sure! I will subscribe immedeately. Not only am I allowed to build with LDD, it's a very interesting challenge as well. Thanks staff!

I have two questions however.

1) is it allowed to build in any scale?

2) is there a way somebody could share a good and easy method to apply often-used decals like that from the stromtroopers?

I'm looking forward to my first contest! I bet there are a lot of people that are going to participate on this one... More people, more joy!

gallery_11254_206_866.png "As the power of the Rebel Alliance grow in the sector, a nearby Jawa tribe has offered you some equipements to help you in your next task."

Disgusting creatures. :hmpf_bad:

I have no acces to your links :cry_sad: , If I check out the parts list and search on my physical bricks, is that allowed? I mean, can I use the same bricks with a slight color change?

Edited by Nom Carver

1) is it allowed to build in any scale?

Your sig-fig is a minifig, so at least that portion of the build would need to be minifig-scale. There're ways to incorporate other scales, though, like holograms or forced-perpsective.

Can we use any color of the pieces listed?Also, can we make a base to put the build on with pieces that aren't on the list?

Edited by Bkrosell

Ha. I have 2 of those sets. I even have TIE pilots. I could enter this time!

One thing that doesn't seem to be explicitly stated in the rules: is it ONE EACH of the allowed sets or any number, so long as only those parts (in whatever quantity) + the 20 extras are used? The former is my guess.

One thing that doesn't seem to be explicitly stated in the rules: is it ONE EACH of the allowed sets or any number, so long as only those parts (in whatever quantity) + the 20 extras are used? The former is my guess.

One of each set.

^?? That doesn't make sense to me. Are we only aloud to use those pieces?

No, the Rebellion as a reward for winning Episode I can use those pieces in addition to the normally-allowed pieces.

Can we use any color of the pieces listed?Also, can we make a base to put the build on with pieces that aren't on the list?

I have no acces to your links :cry_sad: , If I check out the parts list and search on my physical bricks, is that allowed? I mean, can I use the same bricks with a slight color change?

You must use the exact same bricks with the exact same color. If you use a different color, it will count as one of the 20 additional bricks.

And I'll add new link to download the files, sorry for the inconvenience.

You can only use ONE of each set. The files provided show the quantity of each bricks you can use.

Edited by Bob De Quatre