For some time I've been missing flashing PF lights. Yes, you can achieve flashing PF lights with motors, but there has to be a better way, also to allow more dynamic flashing options. A suggestion for this is shown below. It's also on Cuusoo - support and share if you like it.

Flash element allows you to create flashing PF lights by setting the duration of the light/flash and delay (time between light/flash) plus an A and B version for more exciting flash combinations for your creations.

pf-light-flash-element-cuusoo-1-x.jpg

pf-light-flash-element-cuusoo-2-x.jpg

pf-light-flash-element-cuusoo-3-x.jpg

pf-light-flash-element-cuusoo-4-x.jpg

pf-light-flash-element-cuusoo-5-x.jpg

Flash element must always be on top of connections to other elements to avoid interfering with their power supply (flash will only affect elements added to the top of the flash element). If you need more flash elements on the same battery box: simply add an extension wire and then the flash element.

The unit will always flash, no matter the direction of the current. Old 9V bulbs would change state from flashing to fixed if current was reversed. PF flash element will always flash.

thumb640x360.jpg

Link: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/51260

From the cuusoo site:

Flash element will allow you to create flashing PF lights by setting the duration of the light/flash and delay (time between light/flash)

Flash element must always be on top of connections to other elements to avoid interfering with their power supply (flash will only affect elements added to the top of the flash element). If you need more flash elements on the same battery box: simply add an extension wire and then the flash element.

The unit will always flash, no matter the direction of the current. Old 9V bulbs would change state from flashing to fixed if current was reversed. PF flash element will always flash.

I like the idea very much!

Supported. I hope it gets 10000 votes and appear in one of 2015-2016 sets. I think that even though it might not get enough votes it may still inspire TLG.

How much value can this add to LEGO products ? Absolutely close to nothing.

Erland

Part Design

Edited by Front

Erland

Part Design

The main target of Lego products are still kids. Kids love blinking lights - I can see this being applied both in models such as fire brigade truck and construction vehicles. And for AFOLs - it would do good in wide variety of MOCs.

This topic has been started by author few time ago.

This is an inetresting idea, would love to have such small item with nice functionality. Although I think it won't be possible to make it reliable in that tiny format.

I think it would be cool to have, but I have no clue as to how they'll fit the electronics into such a small space! :wacko:

Wow, the perfect part for my 42009 and excavators....... i´ll hope they are able to produce this...... :sweet:

The part is very small but with smd tech it´s possible to do.

OK, no i´ll be goining to pray for this genious and useful parts .... :wink:

Edited by Ralf

Erland

Part Design

Well, how much did this part add?

4771.gif?0

Isn't it the same thing? Lights up and start blinking if you reverse the voltage.

Well, how much did this part add?

4771.gif?0

Isn't it the same thing? Lights up and start blinking if you reverse the voltage.

Can you configure the light and blinking timings here?

Can you configure the light and blinking timings here?

Not quite :-) flip it - no flash - flip it again, it flashes! I added one of these to my 9398 on the drive motors circuit - somehow the batteries drained much much quicker

Erland

Part Design

Personally I think you are jumping to conclusions a bit here. In my opinion it would add something to Lego products....namely, blinking lights!

Wouldn't this make a nice addition on some of the construction models?

This topic has been started by author few time ago.

I have merged the topics, thanks.

Erland

Part Design

Rather odd comment, you being an AFOL and parts designer? :wacko: Flashig lights have been a stable of electrical LEGO from the 80's 12V trains up to the long 9V era

PF elements are rather big and I'd reckon if TLG made such a part it would be somewhat bigger to make it easier to to turn the dial

Still a rocking part, imo :thumbup:

I think these parts never come to the market........ :sceptic:

So i have to do my own creation with flashing LED and resistors, these parts are very small and easy to handle.

In combination with the servo motor a good solution to flash left and right, also two flashing LED on top as warning lights.

But the downside of this solution.......... it is not an original Lego part, but whatever....... :laugh:

P.S. Now i am building one prototype to connect it to the original accu box. (power consumption only 10 mAh for one LED (60 mAh / 6 pcs.), so if i use Sanyo Eneloops 2000 mAh they can flash roughly 70 h)

Edited by Ralf

Nice idea, but I think it's a bit too complicated. I suggest to get rid of the variant: apart from startup time, they're equivalent. Next, I would simplify it to only 4 possibilities, instead of 9x9. This would also make it usable for children.Good luck!

I really like this idea. Have you done research into the costs needed to build custom molds to make this yourself? My suggestion would be to not wait for Cuusoo (as others have said, it is very unlikely TLG would make this part), but rather to post your own Kickstarter campaign for it, and message to the community directly. Rather than just vote for something that may or may not ever come to life, I'd much rather pledge my support today by contributing funds that would allow you to make and sell it now. Just a thought.

Also, have you modeled out the internals, to make sure everything would fit (dials, IC, etc.)? Hopefully so, because your form factor is 100% spot on!

--Rob

Not quite :-) flip it - no flash - flip it again, it flashes! I added one of these to my 9398 on the drive motors circuit - somehow the batteries drained much much quicker

That's because the lights use incandescent light bulbs, not LEDs, and incandescent bulbs draw much more current than LEDs.