ER0L

MOCs: 100% Lego Lighting

Hi all,

lighting will probably be an important feature of our future city. Due to the lack of working street lights it was crucial to find a solution here first. Now this is what I've come up with - a street light made of 100% Lego, using Power Functions LEDs.

10165692486_9817d50ca7.jpg

Detail:

10165630495_f84285a7cd.jpg

The lamp post can be integrated very well into our SNOT pavement (see this post) so that the power supply is invisible.

This is what it looks like when used:

10087863385_0eb592ea1b.jpg

10229724783_a8a83306c7.jpg

The contrast between a 9 Volt lighting within buildings and PF LEDs on the streets works quite nicely, I think.

It's only a first step, we'll see how this will turn out.

C&C welcome as usual, thanks for looking.

Edited by ER0L

Very nice lamp post design. My prefered lamp posts are the white ones, found in modular buildings series, however, yours is functional which makes it more special. Am I right seeing tires around the post?

This is great. Lighting is something that I would like to see more of in Lego. It's difficult to fit the existing Lego light bulbs and cables into minifigure-scale models, but you managed to do it well.

I have been thinking of an idea that I plan to post on Lego Cuusoo in the future; An interior lighting system using optical fibers to easily go through models and save space.

Lovely light!

Very, very clever, considered that you have kept it 100% pure Lego, although I doubt it is very economical that way (LEDs cost next to nothing in electronic shops, and fine isolated copper-wire is almost invisible and can be hidden very well. (Soldering skills needed... :wink: ) -That way you could also go for warm-white or even yellowish light, instead of the modern cold-white Lego leds... (I´m especially thinking about that lovely "gangster-style" photo you have posted here...)

BTW: I think it is about time that Er0l got a "MOC Expert" icon added to his status. Where do one nominated people for that¿?

Edited by Hoexbroe

Nice work - as someone with absolutely no skill in soldering or wiring up lights, this is great. And using 100% lego just makes it even better. Is this design allowed to be 'borrowed' and used in my own creations?

Very nice lamp post design. My prefered lamp posts are the white ones, found in modular buildings series, however, yours is functional which makes it more special. Am I right seeing tires around the post?

Thank you! You're right, those are tires. I like the white lamp posts, too, however, I feel that they are much too small to serve as a real street light, working or not. They rather look like the lanterns you can see in a park or garden.

This is great. Lighting is something that I would like to see more of in Lego. It's difficult to fit the existing Lego light bulbs and cables into minifigure-scale models, but you managed to do it well.

I have been thinking of an idea that I plan to post on Lego Cuusoo in the future; An interior lighting system using optical fibers to easily go through models and save space.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, optical fibres are also an interesting subject. There are so many nice techniques that are almost forgotten nowadays, there's still much to explore.

Lovely light!

Very, very clever, considered that you have kept it 100% pure Lego, although I doubt it is very economical that way (LEDs cost next to nothing in electronic shops, and fine isolated copper-wire is almost invisible and can be hidden very well. (Soldering skills needed... :wink: ) -That way you could also go for warm-white or even yellowish light, instead of the modern cold-white Lego leds... (I´m especially thinking about that lovely "gangster-style" photo you have posted here...)

Many thanks! You're completely right, there would be many fantastic possibilities using third party parts, but it's our idea to keep the whole thing pure Lego. As said, there are so many things at hand we often forget when looking at all those nice new sets. But we are allowed to combine old and new parts and techniques the way we like, so the possibilities are nearly unlimited.

BTW: I think it is about time that Er0l got a "MOC Expert" icon added to his status. Where do one nominated people for that¿?

:thumbup::wink:

Nice work - as someone with absolutely no skill in soldering or wiring up lights, this is great. And using 100% lego just makes it even better. Is this design allowed to be 'borrowed' and used in my own creations?

Thank you! Of course you may use it, but you have to plan things carefully since you can't combine such a design with the usual baseplates.

very nice!!! it looks just like it could have been an original set

Thank you very much! In an original set they'd hopefully find a way to lead the wire *through* the lamp post. :wink:

Like others, I do really like the idea of a 100 lego lamp posts. But, this way is really expensive. I choose to go with leds because of price and the fact that I used baseplates (but in a specific way)... By the way, I think your post may be included in layouts with standard baseplate after a tiny moidifcation of the post base!

Your posts are well designed! Congrats!

Really nice design!

I have tinkered with the idea of street lights some time myself. But I have used non-LEGO lights elements. I think those PF LED's give of too much blue light and does not look very realistic. But the design of the lamp-post itself is very good.

Has anyone tried to change the led inside the LEGO PF-LED with ones with warm white light LED?

Like others, I do really like the idea of a 100 lego lamp posts. But, this way is really expensive. I choose to go with leds because of price and the fact that I used baseplates (but in a specific way)...

Your posts are well designed! Congrats!

Thank you! Sure it's quite expensive, but regarding the costs of a proper city layout in general I think it's okay - you don't need thousands of them.

By the way, I think your post may be included in layouts with standard baseplate after a tiny moidifcation of the post base!

How could that be accomplished? Think of the 2x2 brick that's included. But if you have an idea I am very curious about that.

Really nice design!

I have tinkered with the idea of street lights some time myself. But I have used non-LEGO lights elements. I think those PF LED's give of too much blue light and does not look very realistic. But the design of the lamp-post itself is very good.

Has anyone tried to change the led inside the LEGO PF-LED with ones with warm white light LED?

Thank you! As said, we didn't even think of third party parts. Regarding the light colour: There are several types of street lights in different countries. In France they rather have a yellow or orange light colour for their street lights whereas in Germany it does have a blue touch like this.

I :wub: the idea and design 'ER0L'.....gets the tiger thinking about street lighting too.....handy that I'm an electronic technician isn't it eh ? :grin:

Brick On 'ER0L' ! :grin:

Impressed will you be sharing design/instructions as this is what all cities need!

I think it looks really nice. And very interesting it's made of 100% LEGO. My only comment would be, I think the arms are too long for the height of the street light. But I guess it has something to do with the cables and how they are arranged?

How tall is it? 15 bricks?

I :wub: the idea and design 'ER0L'.....gets the tiger thinking about street lighting too.....handy that I'm an electronic technician isn't it eh ? :grin:

Brick On 'ER0L' ! :grin:

Thanks a lot LT! Yeah, that would be very nice for your town layouts, too. Quite handy to have such a profession when dealing with stuff like this, for sure.

Impressed will you be sharing design/instructions as this is what all cities need!

Sorry, no instructions, this isn't quite an LDD design, I guess. But it's more or less what you see. What I can do is shoot a photo of the inside of the stand - that's probably the most crucial part.

I think it looks really nice. And very interesting it's made of 100% LEGO. My only comment would be, I think the arms are too long for the height of the street light. But I guess it has something to do with the cables and how they are arranged?

How tall is it? 15 bricks?

Thank you! I completely agree concerning the proportions, but you need enough room for the arch of the wire. The second version combined with the house has shorter arms, but this one seems a bit low. Maybe the ideal solution lies in between. The short version measures 16 studs, the tall one 20.

That's a good looking solution!

Thank you!

That would be ace cheers.

I'll post something on Flickr within the next few days, keep watching.

Love this design. It looks fantastic!

Glad you like it Kristel!

Thanks a lot all for commenting and viewing!

This is really a nice design. What I like especially are the power cords looking as ornaments, very clever detail.

This is really a nice design. What I like especially are the power cords looking as ornaments, very clever detail.

Many thanks Kivi. Maybe PF wire is underestimated as an aesthetic element ... :wink:

Looks great. I never had any intention to light up my city, but this is inspiring. I wouldn't even know how to get started, so I will probably not go this route, but thanks for sharing. It looks great!

Looks great. I never had any intention to light up my city, but this is inspiring. I wouldn't even know how to get started, so I will probably not go this route, but thanks for sharing. It looks great!

Thank you! I'm sure there are quite a few possibilities. As said I think we (myself included) tend to forget that there are already a lot of interesting parts and techniques we may use for such purposes.

Wonderful design! :excited: :excited: :excited:

Glad you like it.

Again, many thanks all!