XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

Me, I'm a vehicles guy, not a playset guy, so either one could speak to me, but I'd get the Slave 1 and MOD the bottom with more greebles, etc.

I'm a sucker for droids too, so I'd also Bricklink some of the droid minifigs from the Sandcrawler, but I'm just not that excited by the "big brown box"-ishness of it...

For me, one of them is a "wow" and the other is a "meh" - display-wise I think Slave 1 wins out. :wub:

I was sort of thinking the same thing. If I am going to display the set as part of a scene/diorama, I think most casual people would think of the Sandcrawler as just a big brown box. And that's the thing, the Sandcrawler is not objectively "pretty". I think the set is very good looking; however, that's probably due to my bias. Objectively speaking, I think the Slave 1 does look better. I am leaning towards the Slave 1, thanks guys.

Id have to go with the majority. The Sandcrawler is nice, and the scene would include more, but as for displaying, you want to just display the model to show it off, not have it as 'part' of a larger scene which detracts from thr model itself, in the case of the sandcrawler, might not be all bad as it isnt a highly detailed model, just big, exciting, and playful. The slave 1 could easily get away with a simplistic landing pad with lights which would bring attention to the model in the right way, and deservedly so, as it really is a lovely model. Ive not got it yet, but seen it up close and personal many times, and cant wait to get it. The sandcrawler is still boxed :tongue:

Id go for the Slave I, because im a spaceship guy, and the sandcrawler just doesnt appeal to me (both as a set and a SW vehicle)

If you go for the Slave I cloud city scene, id suggest looking into enhancing the Slave I model a bit, perhaps see if you can build a decent looking interior and have one of the side panels flip open to reveal Boba's bunk and weapon locker or something

I own both, and in my opinion Slave I is prettier on display, and the cooler set all in all, but the Sandcrawler was a much more involved build. I like them both, but if you can only get one, get Slave I.

The Slave 1 is a gorgeous display piece, particularly on its stand. Both are iconic but I guess it depends which vehicle speaks to you more. The majority will likely say Slave 1. If playability is not a factor in your buying decision then I think the decision becomes more clear.

Hi Something_Awesome

I much prefer the Slave 1. I really enjoyed building it and there's just something about it. Whilst the Sandcrawler is very well designed, it's basically a brown box on tracks! For future reference, there's a general Q&A thread pinned to the top of the forum which is ideal for this sort of question. I'll merge this thread with it in a bit :classic:

the problem of the sandcrawler, in my opinion, is in his scale: it's half of its "real" size.

i mean, in the movie the figures were about half the tracks height, in the set they're almost the same..if you want make a small diorama is way better with the Slave (which is quite proportioned).

At least, this is the problem i've found when i've tried to make a diorama with the snowspeeder and the AT-AT (i know, they're not UCS, but the size issue with the ATAT is quite the same)

my two cents

I think both are excellent sets, they both bring different yet good qualities to the table.

Of the two, I only own the Slave 1, but I thoroughly enjoy the set. The scale is perfect for what can be achieved with Lego and the colors are uncommon or unique. I think the build is great and it really feels like the ultimate version of this vehicle. The only downside is the minifigure selection and it could benefited from at least one more bounty hunter to be included (two would have been amazing). Might have been a good chance to bring in Zuckuss or 4LOM.

I've passed on the Sandcrawler and will probably never pick it up. It looks nice, but as a playset, I don't have much use for it. The minifigures also aren't really enough of a selling point - I have Luke and the two droids, I can make an Owen (and some of the other droids) easy enough, and the Jawas are just four copies of an army-builder. Just not really feeling it and the price is rough.

Has anyone noticed that some of the TFA sets look like they belong in the old republic instead? I'm specifically talking about Rey's speeder, the First Order Snowspeeder, the First Order Transporter, and Kylo Ren's shuttle. Also on a side note, a lot of the Hasbro figures look like they are inspired frome either the old republic or the original Mcquarrie designs. I just want to know what you guys think.

From memory they did draw heavy inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's original trilogy designs for The Force Awakes. If you have a look at concepts of the X-Wing, it looks very similar to Poe's new X-wing with the split engines.

Edited by sk_bricks

From memory they did draw heavy inspiration from Ralph McQuarrie's original trilogy designs for The Force Awakes. If you have a look at concepts of the X-Wing, it looks very similar to Poe's new X-wing with the split engines.

Just looked it up and you're right. But are they taking more inspiration for TOR too?

Just looked it up and you're right. But are they taking more inspiration for TOR too?

Only coincidental, in that TOR also looked at SW concept art & the films as inspiration. You'll see lots of similarities in Rebels and TFA as well, because of the shared McQuarrie influence (maybe not reflected much in the Lego sets themselves, but in the two projects for sure).

If Rey builds herself a double-bladed lightsaber for Episode VIII (considering she favors a quarterstaff in TFA, based on her toys & promo artwork/photos), then maybe you could say TOR (or KOTOR) was an influence, like the Shan ladies, brunettes themselves with a preference for double-bladed sabers :laugh:

Hi Kman860, as sk_bricks mentioned they do seem to be heavily influenced from Ralph McQuarrie's original artwork, which is obviously not a bad approach to take if you want to retain the classic 'heritage' of it! For future reference there's a general Q&A thread pinned to the top of the forum; I'll merge this thread with it in a bit :classic:

Hi Kman860, as sk_bricks mentioned they do seem to be heavily influenced from Ralph McQuarrie's original artwork, which is obviously not a bad approach to take if you want to retain the classic 'heritage' of it! For future reference there's a general Q&A thread pinned to the top of the forum; I'll merge this thread with it in a bit :classic:

I do like the "classic" look too, I think it's pretty cool concepts from ~40 years ago are being used today

I think with near 40 years of Star Wars expanded universe to draw from some stuff will look similar. I definitely see McQuarrie in many of the vehicles and the First Order troopers. I also see a lot of Revan in Kylo.

It makes sense to take from what works.

I think with near 40 years of Star Wars expanded universe to draw from some stuff will look similar. I definitely see McQuarrie in many of the vehicles and the First Order troopers. I also see a lot of Revan in Kylo.

It makes sense to take from what works.

Personally I think they made the legends storyline to pick and choose what parts they liked so they coud reuse them.

22089001011_77388c2c41_b.jpg

Driving me mad.

Can anyone identify the torso and legs on this figure? Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me totally but the top of the head and eyes are far more detailed than the existing Mon Calamari figures we have had. Could this possibly be a new figure that has been leaked?

Hmmmmm... Looks like it could be a new minifig! Where did you find the pic? Definitely a change in printing for the Mon Cal head. And the torso looks new too.

That's Nahdar Vebb from the 8095 General Grievous' Starfighter set. part of the Clone Wars animated TV show.

I don't think so...sw226.jpg?4Totally different.

Ackbar is probably going to be popping up in Rebels Season 2... Seems far more likely than him being in TFA, where he'd be 30 years older. Don't know how the Mon Calamari age or how long they live, but that fig looks younger, not older.

Ackbar is probably going to be popping up in Rebels Season 2... Seems far more likely than him being in TFA, where he'd be 30 years older. Don't know how the Mon Calamari age or how long they live, but that fig looks younger, not older.

Highlight following for SPOILERS...

Ackbar is confirmed to be in TFA