XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

So I'm slowly trying to pick up models of the last vehicles I am missing from my Star Wars collection, Republic Cruiser, Turbo Tank, Grievous' starship, Venerator, and Tantive IV.

three questions. One, with the reels tv show and rogue one in the works is the Tantive IV worth it's 200-250 price tag if a new one might be around the corner?

Second. Which turbo tank is better?

Third. Is the venerator even worth it? It looks kind of chunky to me

I really liked the last Tantive IV, but I ripped it apart a long time ago. With some mods, it could be a perfect model. I'd wait for a bit to see if a new one comes out, but don't get your hopes up either way. As for the turbo tank, I have both, and like both. The 2005 version has an amazing charm to it, and unlike the later version, has tilted plates. The later one is very nice and smooth, with some cool features, but just looks like a box to me. I'd go for the second one, as in the long run it's probably better. I didn't like the venator at all. It was super chunky, had weird angles, and the bottom broke apart the same night I built it. So it just kinda got scrapped quickly. You could probably design a better one using the original in LDD. I'd try, but I'm lazy :tongue:

Noting that Lego lacks a lot of Star Wars locations, my mind started day dreaming. I quickly was drawn to Corusant, for several reasons; urban landscape, and a seeming under representation in MOC's. I imagined a large spaceport big enough to "land" minifig size sets such as Rebel's ghost,the different iterations of the Millennium Falcon, or a MOC of the Star Tours Starcspeeder. The port would include customs and passenger areas; and a small imperial police station. I also imagined a large S.H.I.P modular tower, with shops, offices, and apartments. Underneath all this would be a vibrant undercity with a swoop garage, star wars sports bar, and bazaars and beggers all around.

Everything has to be durable and highly detailed, unlike Will Ferrell, I want something a kid could play with.

My problem is I realize all of this is overly ambitious for a young college student, and that I will probably have no chance to even start building until years down the road. What would be the best way to do this project? Any tips on massive models on a small budget? Am I in over my head, or is this doable?

Noting that Lego lacks a lot of Star Wars locations, my mind started day dreaming. I quickly was drawn to Corusant, for several reasons; urban landscape, and a seeming under representation in MOC's. I imagined a large spaceport big enough to "land" minifig size sets such as Rebel's ghost,the different iterations of the Millennium Falcon, or a MOC of the Star Tours Starcspeeder. The port would include customs and passenger areas; and a small imperial police station. I also imagined a large S.H.I.P modular tower, with shops, offices, and apartments. Underneath all this would be a vibrant undercity with a swoop garage, star wars sports bar, and bazaars and beggers all around.

Everything has to be durable and highly detailed, unlike Will Ferrell, I want something a kid could play with.

My problem is I realize all of this is overly ambitious for a young college student, and that I will probably have no chance to even start building until years down the road. What would be the best way to do this project? Any tips on massive models on a small budget? Am I in over my head, or is this doable?

I know exactly how you feel. I am a young college student working on a huge Podrace project. Coruscant is quite a beast to tackle, so you'll be putting some effort/time/money into it.

Honestly, one of the biggest things that has helped me with these huge projects is working at a lego store. Most of my MOC purchases come from Bricklink, but the tons and tons of filler peices that I need for under the mountains and the stadium come from the PAB wall. Having an employee discount is extremely beneficial for that. So if you're looking for work and there's a lego store nearby, that may be something to look into.

One of the biggest parts of taking on MOCs like these is understanding that they will take lots of TIME. Don't go out and buy tons of baseplates to cover the area you want to build on then go from there. Figure out how youcan separate your MOC into sections, and tackle one at a time. You still get the fulfillment of building and completing small projects, you aren't spending mass amounts of money at once, and over time, they'll build up to create something HUGE.

Finally, check craigslist and such for huge Lego hauls. This is sometimes a cheaper way to get bulk brick.

Happy building!

Depending on how you'll want to achieve this, there are a few ways you can easily save on parts early on. As said by jhalego, you can separate your MOC into 32x32 sections to get a quicker enjoyment out of them. Not only that, but as I was saying prior, you can save on parts by using DUPLO bricks. Check out this video by Jangbricks, while it may be obvious it does have a few nice parts in it, such as showing a few example of how he uses DUPLO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdZ2pSnde0

Also, as a tip, don't bother spending a lot of money on tiles. If you plan to use any, they can easily be added in later.

If a LEGO store is in your area, PaB cups can help you gather up loads of 2x4 bricks and other miscellaneous parts. This tutorial video by Your Creative Friends shows you how to get 169 2x4 bricks in a large PaB cup,

This is MUCH cheaper than buying the parts of PaB online and can be cheaper than Bricklink (don't know the price of 2x4 on bricklink, but I'd assume anyone who has a decent stock of them is a fairly high price when compared to PaB cups).

Edited by Jacob_9821

That PAB cup method does look very cheap! I think a lot of basic bricks would be needed as a center core to build the modular towers around, since modulars don't hold together well at those heights.

Duplo and arches can definitely fill hidden volumes.

It's a good idea to build in LDD. You can make pretty big things without owning a single brick, then buy the parts later.

I've spent a lot on sets in the last 3 years since getting back into Lego but more and more I see that to get a lot of basic bricks, plates, slopes and tiles for MOCs it's often best to avoid set buying and just go straight to BrickLink or Pick a Brick walls (none here in Australia though). You might pay more per part and have shipping costs but with sets you just have so many extra parts you will likely never use, like lots of wheels and tires.

How do I go about getting a replacement for a misprinted minifigure from a currently available star wars set? Do you need proof of purchase, because that won't be a problem.

How do I go about getting a replacement for a misprinted minifigure from a currently available star wars set? Do you need proof of purchase, because that won't be a problem.

Just call Lego customer service. They usually just send em out if you ask.

Another way to acquire amounts of in-production parts is to join a RLUG (Recognized LEGO User Group) that participates in LUGBULK. You should do an analysis to determine which part is better to get through Bricklink, PaB, LUGBULK, etc. based on cost, shipping, quantity needed, etc. to maximize your available budget. Some things are better through Bricklink, sometimes they are not based on quantity and multiple shipping charges.

You can break down a large complex project into more manageable sub-projects. If you ever plan to display your build at AFOL conventions and events, you should take into account of making it modular and easily transportable. Nothing like realizing it is too big to get through the doorway after finishing. :classic: Planning and more planning...

I just picked up a Switcheasy Apple Watch charger block (http://www.switcheasy.com/blocks.php) that I want to incorporate into a set. The block is 6x6. The two ideas I've come up with so far is trying to incorporate it into the Wampa Cave set (8089) or doing some sort of custom build and have Jek-14 holding the power cord for the charger in his left hand so it looks like he's charging the watch. If you have any ideas, please let me know, I'm curious to know how else this brick could be incorporated into other sets.

post-143211-0-86402700-1441111625_thumb.jpg

Hi Pez Shipley, and welcome to Eurobricks!

For future reference there's a general SW Q&A thread pinned to the top of the forum. I'll merge this thread with it in a bit :classic:

And, regarding your question, hopefully someone else will have some ideas!

Hi xboxtravis7992

For future reference there's a general SW Q&A thread pinned to the top of the forum. I'll merge this thread with it in a bit :classic:

Are you willing to make that commitment to make your dream MOC come true?

Started mine back in April 2005 with this

TheedHangarPrototype-a00.jpg

and finally got to finish it in March 2012 like this

6968323455_e78ece5804_c.jpg

Got a family/job like everybody else and this hobby can take a lot out of you.

Good luck and remain true to yourself with your dream MOC!

AC

Hi and congratulations for what you want to do.

I agree with much of what has been previously said. Don´t let the budget constrain your dreams, just go slowly and keep in mind what you want to build. Use software to preview what you want and have an accurate list of parts you want. For my last project, I relied on BL and PAB, taking advantage of discounts and combined shipping. LUGBULK is also a good idea, but depends on your commitment with a Lego Users Group.

And don´t forget a notebook, pencil and eraser. You will have to draw many sketches or write down never ending lists of parts (during the building time of the base (many years) I had to write a lot...)

Luck and enjoy!

First step is admitting you sir are upon a big project right now, and that it should be treated as such, by willingly putting the time and the effort or your creation will suffer your lack of commitment.

I can also share techniques I use : use big blocky bricks to filling big parts of your MOC, try to save money when you can by placing quite huge orders containing everything you need for one specific area of your MOC, and starting building from that point. LDD / Drawing before building are great tools too allowing you to visualize your thoughts before lending a hand

I hope you will hold on to your idea :)

Are you willing to make that commitment to make your dream MOC come true?

Started mine back in April 2005 with this

TheedHangarPrototype-a00.jpg

and finally got to finish it in March 2012 like this

6968323455_e78ece5804_c.jpg

Got a family/job like everybody else and this hobby can take a lot out of you.

Good luck and remain true to yourself with your dream MOC!

AC

I have Lego the original saga flashbacks. Your MOC looks excatly the same as the same hangar in the game!

Hi guys, sorry if this is a daft question but does anyone know if there are plans to bring out Force Awakens battle packs? It looks like the only way to get First Order Stormtroopers at the moment is through the transporter, which is just a little bit out of my budget for army building :P

Hi guys, sorry if this is a daft question but does anyone know if there are plans to bring out Force Awakens battle packs? It looks like the only way to get First Order Stormtroopers at the moment is through the transporter, which is just a little bit out of my budget for army building :P

There will be 2 TFA battle packs one FO and the other resistance.

Since it is a mini figure, you need the instruction manual's serial number so they can give you another one. It's easy, just takes time

There will be 2 TFA battle packs one FO and the other resistance.

Thanks Chief, that's good to know. Any idea on the release date?

Edited by knightyknight

Thanks Chris, that's good to know. Any idea on the release date?

January of next year but some people are saying this December.

Has anyone started working on new (or updated) x-wing MOCs with the new x-wing canopy? I'm currently separated from my collection and stores that sell Lego... But I'm planning on modifying my Psiaki x-wing to use the new canopy piece. I would also like to start working on a Episode VII x-wing model based mike's original x-wing.

Side note: Does anyone have an LDD model of Mike Psiaki's x-wing model? I've tried to complete the model in LDD but have run into a few roadblocks with some of the illegal connections and various connections that LDD just struggles with.