XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

On 12/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, BlueberryWaffles said:

For those who have been collecting for a long time, how likely are you to buy remakes of a set you already own? After building most of my collection around DC/Marvel for years, I'm starting to drift toward Star Wars. Don't know if I should just wait for some sets to get remade or jump on the aftermarket prices for sets that retired a few years ago. Thankfully, next year looks like a good place to "start" with the new X-wing and TIE fighter.

I was racking my brain and now that I'm thinking of it...I don't really know how many remakes I own?  I think I own three versions of the Cantina, and that might actually be it.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.  Anything pre-2007 or so tends to definitely not be the best version available of a set (and I think just about everything from that era except for a few small Phantom Menace sets and some Attack of the Clone stuff has been remade), so if you're looking for the best, most accurate model, definitely go towards the newer end of things.  I love sets from that era, but it's more from a nostalgia perspective.  Like, I've got the original Slave I and absolutely love that thing, but it doesn't come close to any modern incarnation of that ship.

I would also say with some ships, certain variations are a bit more rare.  For example, the OT Falcon, Luke's X-Wing, Anakin's yellow starfighter, those kinds of sets are pretty regularly cycled releases, whereas the Solo Falcon, a variation on the X-Wing color or it being Obi-Wan's starfighter would be a bit less likely to see a re-release in the near future.  I would categorize Luke's X-Wing, Anakin's starfighter, Boba Fett's Slave I, an OT Star Destroyer, OT TIE Fighter, OT Falcon, Luke's Landspeeder, and OT Snowspeeder as very "safe" re-releases, in that you can very easily just wait a year or two and pretty much all of those will be released in some capacity.

In terms of the designs, though, we're starting to get to a point where they've pretty much perfected the models.  Since they're based on real things, they can only be so accurate, and with most of the ships that see continuous releases, they really aren't getting that much better looking.  So it's somewhat unlikely that many items are going to see a really sharp increase in their design quality, since they're already pretty close to being ideal, at least given limitations of the medium and all that.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, macaron35 said:

I did watch the whole season but honestly didn't pay attention to this, it's not such a big deal 

it's not like the most important detail of the season and judging the set, I would definitely not build or keep the hut and the weapon. Instead I would add up Cobb Vanth to go along with mando's bike

I mean, the ballista are pretty integral to one of the scenes and are featured somewhat prominently, the hut isn't shown much but it's a common tusken thing. As people have said in the other thread when this set first came out, lego most likely either didn't know of vanth or didn't want to risk a leak spoiling his involvement. Or worse,

Spoiler

someone getting hold of the parts or a blurry image of the set and thinking it's boba, then accidently spoiling boba for his appearance later in the season.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, Kit Figsto said:

I was racking my brain and now that I'm thinking of it...I don't really know how many remakes I own?  I think I own three versions of the Cantina, and that might actually be it.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.  Anything pre-2007 or so tends to definitely not be the best version available of a set (and I think just about everything from that era except for a few small Phantom Menace sets and some Attack of the Clone stuff has been remade), so if you're looking for the best, most accurate model, definitely go towards the newer end of things.  I love sets from that era, but it's more from a nostalgia perspective.  Like, I've got the original Slave I and absolutely love that thing, but it doesn't come close to any modern incarnation of that ship.

I would also say with some ships, certain variations are a bit more rare.  For example, the OT Falcon, Luke's X-Wing, Anakin's yellow starfighter, those kinds of sets are pretty regularly cycled releases, whereas the Solo Falcon, a variation on the X-Wing color or it being Obi-Wan's starfighter would be a bit less likely to see a re-release in the near future.  I would categorize Luke's X-Wing, Anakin's starfighter, Boba Fett's Slave I, an OT Star Destroyer, OT TIE Fighter, OT Falcon, Luke's Landspeeder, and OT Snowspeeder as very "safe" re-releases, in that you can very easily just wait a year or two and pretty much all of those will be released in some capacity.

In terms of the designs, though, we're starting to get to a point where they've pretty much perfected the models.  Since they're based on real things, they can only be so accurate, and with most of the ships that see continuous releases, they really aren't getting that much better looking.  So it's somewhat unlikely that many items are going to see a really sharp increase in their design quality, since they're already pretty close to being ideal, at least given limitations of the medium and all that.

Completely agree, with one nitpick: The OT star destroyer isn't very common, we've had 2 system scale sets of it since the start of the theme, the last one six years ago.

On a somewhat related note: 

I'm going to buy a set for myself this january along with the mando set, but I'm stuck between the slave one and AT-AT. Here are the pros/cons I've come up with:
AT-AT: Pros: well-made model with great detailing and interior space. Cons: more expensive.

Slave One: Pros: cheaper, and I can sell the figures (besides zuckuss, I don't have him yet) to get even more of the cost back. Cons: interior isn't great, likely to be remade soon with the book of boba fett.

Right now I'm leaning towards slave one given that if I sell the figures (sans zuckuss) I basically get it for $80 and it's retiring soon, but I wanted to know what you guys think, as I'm still on the fence somewhat.

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

On a somewhat related note: 

I'm going to buy a set for myself this january along with the mando set, but I'm stuck between the slave one and AT-AT. Here are the pros/cons I've come up with:
AT-AT: Pros: well-made model with great detailing and interior space. Cons: more expensive.

Slave One: Pros: cheaper, and I can sell the figures (besides zuckuss, I don't have him yet) to get even more of the cost back. Cons: interior isn't great, likely to be remade soon with the book of boba fett.

Right now I'm leaning towards slave one given that if I sell the figures (sans zuckuss) I basically get it for $80 and it's retiring soon, but I wanted to know what you guys think, as I'm still on the fence somewhat.

Owning both I'd say go for the Slave One, it's a wonderful model, the only way to complete the EP V Bounty Hunter Lineup and as you said it's gonna retire pretty soon, if not already.
Then you can put the money you spared/earned from selling the figures towards a fund for the AT-AT, which is also a great set but is -hopefully- gonna stick a bit longer on the shelves.
And yes, the Slave I is a prime candidate for a remake in the next couple of years, but it would be a shame to miss the 20th one if the supposed remake follows the scaled down approach the next wave has.

Is the 20th Slave 1 completely gone? I'm trying to find it and haven't had luck anywhere, even my local Lego store. Kicking myself for not grabbing it a few months ago, because wasn't the last non-UCS one back in 2010? I hope it wouldn't be that long of a wait again.

Speaking of retiring SW sets, is it usually around a year? Two years? Debating how soon I should pick up sets like Obi-Wan's hut.

46 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Is the 20th Slave 1 completely gone? I'm trying to find it and haven't had luck anywhere, even my local Lego store. Kicking myself for not grabbing it a few months ago, because wasn't the last non-UCS one back in 2010? 

It seems to be - Even Amazon only has it (priced exorbitantly) from third-party sellers. ?
If you want it, I would recommend looking on Bricklink, as the prices seem to be better there. 

49 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

wasn't the last non-UCS one back in 2010? I hope it wouldn't be that long of a wait again.

Considering the last scene of Chapter 16 (2x08) of The Mandalorian, I would not be surprised if we get a new Slave I sometime in 2022 (probably 2HY). 

54 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Speaking of retiring SW sets, is it usually around a year? Two years? Debating how soon I should pick up sets like Obi-Wan's hut.

Brickset lists the duration of sets' availability, and, from what I have seen, the standard run seems to be ~6-12 months. As such, I would recommend getting 75270 as soon as possible (since it has been out for a year, now). 

Echoing others I'd say go for the Slave 1. Even if it's likely we'll see a remake in a few years time I doubt it'll be an Ep V version. Alternatively you could just buy Zuckuss and then wait and see what is released later, although looking at Bricklink prices that fig alone is about a third or more of the cost of a new set...

On 12/28/2020 at 4:08 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Having both sets, I'd say go for the Slave I. It's a lovely build & beautifully designed.

The AT-AT is very nice, but the Slave I is definitely my favourite of the two.

On a side note, I'm really quite surprised by the price of Zuckuss on Bricklink!

Does anyone know what the score is with Razor Crest set in the UK? Is it just temporarily out of stock or has it been discontinued?

15 hours ago, legolandia said:

Does anyone know what the score is with Razor Crest set in the UK? Is it just temporarily out of stock or has it been discontinued?

Honestly I don't know, not officially discontinued, but it's a scary thought that I guess it could be possible they might not make anymore. Given how they're still struggling to cope with orders and demand, they may just call it a day on those that have had a production run and were released a fair while ago, because otherwise there will just be a massive backlog of sets due to the constant new releases which will also create new demand issues. Theoretically it could take a year before they could get round to doing another production run of 'out of stock' sets if things don't change.

Edited by Fuppylodders

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Honestly I don't know, not officially discontinued, but it's a scary thought that I guess it could be possible they might not make anymore. Given how they're still struggling to cope with orders and demand, they may just call it a day on those that have had a production run and were released a fair while ago, because otherwise there will just be a massive backlog of sets due to the constant new releases which will also create new demand issues. Theoretically it could take a year before they could get round to doing another production run of 'out of stock' sets if things don't change.

Based on the 'clearance sale' that Argos had (I say 'clearance', as far as I could tell pretty much every set had been cleared anyway...), most of the Winter 2020 wave - Resistance A-wing, Obi-Wan's hut, etc. - seems to be up for retirement which makes sense. Grievous' Starfighter was also in there though, and that's only been out for six months (it was half-price so I definitely would've picked it up if it was in stock as well). I hope the Crest isn't retiring so soon, I'd love to pick up a copy.

I've bought pretty much everything from last year and the only ones I haven't yet are the Boba Fett helmet and the Razor Crest. I do hope Lego don't discontinue them so soon. It would be a shame.

As for Argos, I am not quite sure what possessed them to sell the Lego Sw stock at such massive discounts. Perhaps they were trying to clear stock prior to shutting down quite a few of their stores? But considering that stock has disappeared pretty much everywhere int he UK I think there is some sort of "production not being able to keep up with demand" issue.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, Sarah_H7744 said:

Having both sets, I'd say go for the Slave I. It's a lovely build & beautifully designed.

The AT-AT is very nice, but the Slave I is definitely my favourite of the two.

On a side note, I'm really quite surprised by the price of Zuckuss on Bricklink!

Thanks! I'll be getting the slave one as soon as it restocks online.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, Per_SW said:

Owning both I'd say go for the Slave One, it's a wonderful model, the only way to complete the EP V Bounty Hunter Lineup and as you said it's gonna retire pretty soon, if not already.
Then you can put the money you spared/earned from selling the figures towards a fund for the AT-AT, which is also a great set but is -hopefully- gonna stick a bit longer on the shelves.
And yes, the Slave I is a prime candidate for a remake in the next couple of years, but it would be a shame to miss the 20th one if the supposed remake follows the scaled down approach the next wave has.

Thanks! Good point about the new scaling down, I'll be sure to pick this one up as soon as it's available again.

Anyone have an idea to when the cantina will be back in stock or how I can order one? Edit: Just found out it’s being sold at Walmart, bestbuy, and Barnes and nobles now.

Edited by ChiefPie

On 12/29/2020 at 5:32 AM, BlueberryWaffles said:

Is the 20th Slave 1 completely gone? I'm trying to find it and haven't had luck anywhere, even my local Lego store. Kicking myself for not grabbing it a few months ago, because wasn't the last non-UCS one back in 2010? I hope it wouldn't be that long of a wait again.

I can't find a Slave 1 on the (electronic) shelf outside aftermarket. The 20th anniversary sets were really flash in the pan: not sure I've ever seen such a short release window.

I don't know whereabouts you are but Argos has clearance up to 50% off on a lot of 2020 sets right now including Obi-wan's hut, KOR transport, Mustafar duel and so on. Either way I'd pick up a hut ASAP, it's a great little set.

To the wider audience I have a question. I'd like to post a review, and some MOCs (from flickr). Do I do that here? Am I allowed? I seem to have the option to do so (I see a button) but do I need to go through some obscure ceremony involving burning a megablock at the stake?

I am sure there is an etiquette involved in these things. Perhaps someone can clarify for me or point me to an exisitng thread which answers the question. Cheers.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:42 PM, Fuppylodders said:

Now the world knows that SPOILER ALERT! the dam' thing bites the dust in season 2, and since Trouble on Tatooine features the characters with the more useful version of the Mando Man, I would suspect the demand for RC might drop off a cliff?

I don't know of another ship so prominent in- or out-of-universe that has such a sharply defined end of life. They even resurrected the Tantive IV! Starfighters don't really count as there are multiple identical craft.

33 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I can't find a Slave 1 on the (electronic) shelf outside aftermarket. The 20th anniversary sets were really flash in the pan: not sure I've ever seen such a short release window.

Now the world knows that SPOILER ALERT! the dam' thing bites the dust in season 2, and since Trouble on Tatooine features the characters with the more useful version of the Mando Man, I would suspect the demand for RC might drop off a cliff?

I don't know of another ship so prominent in- or out-of-universe that has such a sharply defined end of life. They even resurrected the Tantive IV! Starfighters don't really count as there are multiple identical craft.

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere either.

Anakin's eta-2 and obi-wan's red eta-2 both crash in the hanger bay of an enemy ship, and black one explodes, though those are mass-produced fighters just with a different color scheme. The death star explodes, though I don't know if that's a "ship". The only RC sized ship with a lego set that's been destroyed is the Twilight, which is destroyed on mandalore, though to be fair the Razor Crest, Twilight, and Falcon are more or less the only major freighter ships with lego sets.

47 minutes ago, Redroe said:

To the wider audience I have a question. I'd like to post a review, and some MOCs (from flickr). Do I do that here? Am I allowed? I seem to have the option to do so (I see a button) but do I need to go through some obscure ceremony involving burning a megablock at the stake?

I am sure there is an etiquette involved in these things. Perhaps someone can clarify for me or point me to an exisitng thread which answers the question. Cheers.

MOCs is pretty straightforward, just start a thread and link the Flickr images. Not sure about reviews though, I'll let someone wiser than I answer that one...

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere either.

Anakin's eta-2 and obi-wan's red eta-2 both crash in the hanger bay of an enemy ship, and black one explodes, though those are mass-produced fighters just with a different color scheme. The death star explodes, though I don't know if that's a "ship". The only RC sized ship with a lego set that's been destroyed is the Twilight, which is destroyed on mandalore, though to be fair the Razor Crest, Twilight, and Falcon are more or less the only major freighter ships with lego sets.

The Eta-2s were my first thought as well. Poe's Black One gets blown up in TLJ but that's a similar instance of a personalised variant rather than a one-of-a-kind ship, even though that's still the ship I associate with Poe. And of course there's the legendary Quadjumper :laugh:

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

I don't suppose the Executor counts? 

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The Eta-2s were my first thought as well. Poe's Black One gets blown up in TLJ

I thought of the ETA-2s as I was writing! But we don't actually see them destroyed, we just infer it... and I'd forgotten Black One (I would like to forget all of TLJ to be honest) but you are right. That would be the closest in universe destruction of a ship to the RC.

Don't get me going on Quadjumpers. I'll be here all night. When I die, I want to come back as a quadjumper.

1 hour ago, AIex said:

I don't suppose the Executor counts? 

It does actually. But it feels different somehow. It's seen from the Rebels POV as a victory, not from Mando's POV as a devastating loss (albeit we get a glimpse of Imperial panic on the bridge). Imagine if the Falcon had blown up in RotJ? 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, I can't find it anywhere either

Some european sellers have it at close to RRP. Generally cheaper than UK.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

I thought of the ETA-2s as I was writing! But we don't actually see them destroyed, we just infer it... and I'd forgotten Black One (I would like to forget all of TLJ to be honest) but you are right. That would be the closest in universe destruction of a ship to the RC.

Don't get me going on Quadjumpers. I'll be here all night. When I die, I want to come back as a quadjumper.

It does actually. But it feels different somehow. It's seen from the Rebels POV as a victory, not from Mando's POV as a devastating loss (albeit we get a glimpse of Imperial panic on the bridge). Imagine if the Falcon had blown up in RotJ? 

Some european sellers have it at close to RRP. Generally cheaper than UK.

Eh, they don't look so good in the hanger bay, but I guess it's nothing compared to the nothing-survived-but-the-spear-and-the-ball-thingie. I still think the twilight is the closest to the RC, a ship that while not technically one of a kind is an actual model (Like the RC, which is just the name of the razor crest model of ship), that is a main ship for the main cast and destroyed on screen.

45 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

How much does the AT-OT make up of the piece count for the 2009 ucs set? 

If no one is able to inform you of this, best way would be to download the LDD file of it off this sites LDD section, then just highlight the walker and see how many pieces it says is selected. I can't do it right now because am in bed and not near my laptop 

Good day, if you guys had the choice between any of the LEGO X-Wing and Tie fighter models or the ones from Brickvault which would you go for and why? Been looking at both and am unsure which route to go.

Thanks

Edited by Onecrazy95civic

46 minutes ago, Onecrazy95civic said:

Good day, if you guys had the choice between any of the LEGO X-Wing and Tie fighter models or the ones from Brickvault which would you go for and why? Been looking at both and am unsure which route to go.

Thanks

given the choice, I'd pick brickvault's models any day of the week. That said, there are a lot of factors to consider. With the brickvault models you pay for the instructions before you even start buying parts, all of which has to be done manually through bricklink and will inevitably take time. You also spend a lot more money as those models are made up of quite a lot more parts than Lego's sets, and some of which are no longer in production. If money and time are not of the essence, I would definitely go with brickvault's models, but lego's sets are definitely a more inexpensive and convenient route.

6 minutes ago, AIex said:

given the choice, I'd pick brickvault's models any day of the week. That said, there are a lot of factors to consider. With the brickvault models you pay for the instructions before you even start buying parts, all of which has to be done manually through bricklink and will inevitably take time. You also spend a lot more money as those models are made up of quite a lot more parts than Lego's sets, and some of which are no longer in production. If money and time are not of the essence, I would definitely go with brickvault's models, but lego's sets are definitely a more inexpensive and convenient route.

Thanks for the reply and input. I'm looking at the Imperial Shuttle from LEGO and it resale at crazy price and when compare to Brickvault Imperial Shuttle model wow what a difference and way nicer and detail. Having said that if I'm going to spend 1000$ on a LEGO Imperial Shuttle might as well maybe spend a bit more if not the same and get Brickvault model. Yes it will take time to getter the parts...lol... Any experience with them?

13 hours ago, Onecrazy95civic said:

Thanks for the reply and input. I'm looking at the Imperial Shuttle from LEGO and it resale at crazy price and when compare to Brickvault Imperial Shuttle model wow what a difference and way nicer and detail. Having said that if I'm going to spend 1000$ on a LEGO Imperial Shuttle might as well maybe spend a bit more if not the same and get Brickvault model. Yes it will take time to getter the parts...lol... Any experience with them?

I've spent the past ~10 months building RichBoyJhae's AT-AT, the instructions for which are sold on brickvault's webstore. It's cost me several hundred dollars and a lot of time to get all of the pieces, and I'm buying them used for the most part. I would suggest getting as many parts as possible through the Bricks and Pieces shop on Lego's website, though they won't have everything you need it is often more affordable than bricklink, especially shipping, and also means all the parts you order through there are brand new. That said, you'll inevitably have to order some of your parts through bricklink, these custom models from what I've seen usually take advantage of parts that are no longer produced or in circulation.