XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

9 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Are actual battle packs (mando and sith) retiring at the end of this year?

Looking at the shelf life of the 2018/19 ones, almost all of them with the exception of the Jedi and Clones one lasted just about a year (that one for some reason went April 2018-August 2019, when the other one that was April 2018 only lasted until December 2018, maybe it was a lack of sales?).  I'd say the best thing is the plan that they retire and if they don't, then great.  It would make sense for them to keep them, at least until summer, if this wave is smaller, but who knows?

On a similar note, does anyone know if the UCS Falcon is retiring at the end of this year?  I know last year there were rumors it would be done, but it still seems too new to retire, I figured it'd be more of a "flagship" set like the UCS Death Star that hangs around for 5+ years.

Do you guys think they've peaked with the remakes? I've been eyeing some retired sets on Bricklink, but I'm afraid of jumping the gun and finding out afterward that they're coming out with a new version that looks way better.

For instance, the Y-Wing from Rogue One, or some of the 2015 Phantom Menace sets.

What we know about Disney's current approach to Star Wars is that they are taking it slower. And we know that different series are meant to culminate in a huge event, just like the Marvel movies did.

Several films and series from different time periods are currently in the making.

We know about the animated "Bad Batch" series, which is set immediately after the end of the clone wars. The Bad Batch is still fighting for the empire. SInce we know that at some point the empire gets rid of its clone armies, it may be safely assumed that this is at least one of the themes of the series. So we'll probably see sets related to this series, which will probably be more clone-centered.

We know about the Cassian "Andor" series, which is of course set before "Rogue One".

We know about the "Obi Wan" series, which is set before "A New Hope".

We know about the "Ahsoka" and "Cara Dune" series, which both are set in the same timeline as "The Mandalorian".

We know about the "Rogue Squadron" movie, which is set in an unknown timeline, but features "X-Wings" of some kind and is released in December 2023.

We know about the animated "Star Wars: A Droid Story" movie, which is currently developed for Disney+.

And we don't know what films or other projects Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson are currently working at.

Given the timelines of these series and films we know about and given that there is still more to come, I think it's save to say that we'll keep seeing remakes of iconic vehicles or places. I'm not sure how long it may take to get a remake of a desired vehicle, though.

So if you think that a set is great and that you really, really want it and that you can afford it, you should probably buy it. Otherwise, skip it :)

Edited by Brickadeer

7 hours ago, Brickadeer said:

What we know about Disney's current approach to Star Wars is that they are taking it slower. And we know that different series are meant to culminate in a huge event, just like the Marvel movies did.

Several films and series from different time periods are currently in the making.

We know about the animated "Bad Batch" series, which is set immediately after the end of the clone wars. The Bad Batch is still fighting for the empire. SInce we know that at some point the empire gets rid of its clone armies, it may be safely assumed that this is at least one of the themes of the series. So we'll probably see sets related to this series, which will probably be more clone-centered.

We know about the Cassian "Andor" series, which is of course set before "Rogue One".

We know about the "Obi Wan" series, which is set before "A New Hope".

We know about the "Ahsoka" and "Cara Dune" series, which both are set in the same timeline as "The Mandalorian".

We know about the "Rogue Squadron" movie, which is set in an unknown timeline, but features "X-Wings" of some kind and is released in December 2023.

We know about the animated "Star Wars: A Droid Story" movie, which is currently developed for Disney+.

And we don't know what films or other projects Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson are currently working at.

Given the timelines of these series and films we know about and given that there is still more to come, I think it's save to say that we'll keep seeing remakes of iconic vehicles or places. I'm not sure how long it may take to get a remake of a desired vehicle, though.

So if you think that a set is great and that you really, really want it and that you can afford it, you should probably buy it. Otherwise, skip it :)

Woah, that is A LOT of new material. I suppose we may get a new OT Y-Wing when the Andor series rolls around, so I might hold off on that. None of these are in the prequel era it seems, so I'm not sure what the chances are of getting a new Sith Infiltrator or Naboo Starfighter.

How much more do you think they can improve upon sets they've already made? (I'm thinking of that new Imperial Shuttle that doesn't really look as nice as the Tydirium they did a few years ago).

4 hours ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

Woah, that is A LOT of new material. I suppose we may get a new OT Y-Wing when the Andor series rolls around, so I might hold off on that. None of these are in the prequel era it seems, so I'm not sure what the chances are of getting a new Sith Infiltrator or Naboo Starfighter.

Bad batch is basically clone wars season 8, so prequel era, it's technically after revenge of the sith, but it's RIGHT after, so they're still using clone armor and vehicles.

Does anyone know what armor the ITT/trexlar marauder drivers have in the mandalorian? In rebels it's the combat drivers, but they also pilot the speeder bikes instead of scout troopers. So then I was thinking it's a new design or maybe just regular stormtrooper, but they do have

Spoiler

a new tank trooper in chapter 15

, so... 

The helmet looks a lot like the tank drivers from Rogue One. The armor looks more like Admiral Veers' in "Empire strikes back".

8lfepml7.jpg

Edited by Brickadeer

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Does anyone know what armor the ITT/trexlar marauder drivers have in the mandalorian? In rebels it's the combat drivers, but they also pilot the speeder bikes instead of scout troopers. So then I was thinking it's a new design or maybe just regular stormtrooper, but they do have

Reveal hidden contents

a new tank trooper in chapter 15

, so... 

My headcanon says the helmets used in Rebels were just early general-purpose ones, with different trooper variants being developed later. Given we've seen two different ground vehicles piloted by the same style of helmet as @Brickadeer pointed out, I'd like to think the drivers would be a similar 'ground vehicle' pilot trooper as the ones that drive the tanks and Juggernauts.

Alternatively maybe something like the AT-ST pilots with the open-face helmets?

10 hours ago, Brickadeer said:

The helmet looks a lot like the tank drivers from Rogue One. The armor looks more like Admiral Veers' in "Empire strikes back".

So you think it's the Mandalorian tank drivers in the ITTs, then?

7 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

My headcanon says the helmets used in Rebels were just early general-purpose ones, with different trooper variants being developed later. Given we've seen two different ground vehicles piloted by the same style of helmet as @Brickadeer pointed out, I'd like to think the drivers would be a similar 'ground vehicle' pilot trooper as the ones that drive the tanks and Juggernauts.

Alternatively maybe something like the AT-ST pilots with the open-face helmets?

That's a good point. Tank trooper-style drivers man the juggernauts, AT-ACTs, and TX-225s, so mainly wheeled vehicles, whereas the majority of the walkers are driven by a variety of different designs.

My takeaway here is that in a year or two we'll probably see a new trooper slightly differentiated from the tx-225 driver called the ITT driver or something, but for now I'll use tx-225 driver helmets with veers armor on my MOC.

speaking of this episode, most ships are flying... any idea why this one has wheels ?

is it too heavy to fly ?

I am simply surprised to see a truck in SW

5 hours ago, macaron35 said:

speaking of this episode, most ships are flying... any idea why this one has wheels ?

is it too heavy to fly ?

They called it a Juggernaut, so I would assume it's a descendant of the Clone Turbo Tank, the technical name for which I believe is a Juggernaut T5. It may be similar to the AT-ACTs in that they're just cargo versions of existing vehicles.

Spoiler

As for other in-universe reasons, the weight could have something to do with it, or maybe the volatility of Rhydonium means it can't withstand the Gs that a flying vehicle would pull? :shrug_confused:

Alternatively it could be a nod to the Mad Max films, that was definitely the vibe I got from that whole chase.

9 hours ago, macaron35 said:

is it too heavy to fly ?

It's based on a clone wars vehicle, also called the juggernaut. While all @TeddytheSpoon's reasons are logical, I'd like to add a few more.

-It's a secret base, so routine flights of cargo ships a short distance across the planet would pick up some attention. In terms of ground vehicles, there's a definite upper size limit to repulsorlift vehicles in canon, I don't think we've seen anything larger or heavier than a landspeeder.

-Rhydonium provides some complications for transport, especially when you consider the pirate attacks. Even without the threat of being attacked, getting rhydonium up into a slow-moving AT-ACT or AT-AT is probably not worth the time, effort, and potential for explosions. Hence, a wheeled vehicle that's faster, not as difficult to load, and armored against pirate attacks. (though they may want to invest in, like, a padlock if they want to stop pirate attacks, seeing as all they had to do to get to the rhydonium was flip up a panel).

17 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

In terms of ground vehicles, there's a definite upper size limit to repulsorlift vehicles in canon, I don't think we've seen anything larger or heavier than a landspeeder.

I do agree with both you and @TeddytheSpoon that the Juggernaut was both a reference to Mad Max and in-universe more stable to transport something as volatile as Rhydonium, but remember that MTTs are still canon and clearly repursorlift, although not imperial :D

1 hour ago, Per_SW said:

I do agree with both you and @TeddytheSpoon that the Juggernaut was both a reference to Mad Max and in-universe more stable to transport something as volatile as Rhydonium, but remember that MTTs are still canon and clearly repursorlift, although not imperial :D

Maybe a repulsorlift has magnetic fields or something that would destabilise the rhydonium? Headcanoning minor plot holes like this is one my favourite things about Star Wars :laugh:

For those who have been collecting for a long time, how likely are you to buy remakes of a set you already own? After building most of my collection around DC/Marvel for years, I'm starting to drift toward Star Wars. Don't know if I should just wait for some sets to get remade or jump on the aftermarket prices for sets that retired a few years ago. Thankfully, next year looks like a good place to "start" with the new X-wing and TIE fighter.

54 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

For those who have been collecting for a long time, how likely are you to buy remakes of a set you already own? After building most of my collection around DC/Marvel for years, I'm starting to drift toward Star Wars. Don't know if I should just wait for some sets to get remade or jump on the aftermarket prices for sets that retired a few years ago. Thankfully, next year looks like a good place to "start" with the new X-wing and TIE fighter.

For me it depends largely on how big an upgrade the set is. I have the 2012 X-wing but will probably pick up the new one, partly as it's cheap but mostly as I really like some of the design changes. On the other hand, I also have the 2015 Tyderium shuttle, and although we haven't seen proper pics of the new one yet (somehow, isn't that supposed to be coming out in January?!), I probably won't get it since I think the 2015 looks better.

For sets I don't have it depends more on the price. I think the 2007 MTT is pretty much perfect for a minifig scale set based on that ship, but given its astronomical value I'd happily settle for the 2014 one as I don't think it looks too bad despite its flaws. The other thing is that most Star Wars sets seem to at least hold their value, if not see it increase, so unless it's a set that's unlikely to get re-made or that you're absolutely desperate to have in your collection, I'd wait for a remake as most of them seem to cycle round eventually.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Per_SW said:

I'd forgotten about those, although in addition to not being imperial they're A: droid transports, not volatile cargo transports, and B: just really shouldn't be repulsorlifts, maybe the fact that only droids are inside them means that it has some wacky radiation stuff going on.

5 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

It depends on a few factors for me at least:

Difference in-universe: If the set is, say, an rz-2 a-wing instead of an rz-1, or a vanguard squadron x-wing instead of a blue squadron one, I'll be more likely to buy it if I already had the previous, slightly different model.

Updates to model: This is the main factor, if there are major updates to the design, such as the 2018 x-wing versus the 2012 x-wing, or if it's a different style of build 2021 x-wing versus the 2018 x-wing, than again it's something I'd be more likely to get.

Figures: This is one lego definitely uses to draw people in, if a remake has new or interesting figures it'll be more likely to sell to people who have the previous model. While with larger sets many people are better off using bricklink, with smaller sets I'll pick one up for the figures even if I already have the build (and then scrap or sell the build)

Resale value of the original: This one isn't applicable to many people, but if the set being remade has a resale value close too or even more than the retail cost of the remake, it's not a bad idea to sell the original and pick up the new one.

On 12/16/2020 at 4:45 PM, BlueberryWaffles said:

Depends on how much of an upgrade it is, and if its something that can be a squadron of, or if its pretty much a unique vehicle. 

X-wing, if its a reasonable price, with decent figures, I might get the update. The new ones? 

They're great for kids and first time collectors, but there are better previous versions that I do have, so I've no need to get them. 

Personally, unless it's a Y/X/A wing, standard tie fighter, millennium falcon, snowspeeder, land speeder, or some other classic ship, then I'd jump on whatever version you like and get it. Those previous mentioned ones will always get remakes until the licence is cancelled. Anything else, I'd be looking at previous versions. 

Example, 7662 MTT, I believe is the best version. I bought it a fair while after it had its production ended, but before the latest version. I wouldn't bother with the latest version as I feel the 7662 exceeds it in all manners. 

It's one of life's lucky dips to be honest. Just get what you like, and if they release an update you feel is better, great! Sell previous and use that to assist getting the updated version. 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:45 AM, BlueberryWaffles said:

If you do not really need to be the collector that has every single version of LEGO Star Wars sets like the X-Wing or TIE Fighter, I would wait. Some of the sets that have been discontinued usually go up in prices quite a bit. Of course, there may be some special minifigure in some of the older sets but you can also buy those separately in the aftermarket. Every few years, LEGO usually remake popular LEGO sets especially on the X-Wing. 

do you think I should get the upcoming 75299 set just to get Mando in this beskar armor and the child (or wait to see arrive on bricklink with the risk of indecent prices) and build his speeder from B&P or from a MOC ?

because, I will have no use for the ridiculous tusken hut and weapon that Lego decided to stage out of the blue

so this means 30 euros for Mando, the child, the bike and extra tan parts

31 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

do you think I should get the upcoming 75299 set just to get Mando in this beskar armor and the child (or wait to see arrive on bricklink with the risk of indecent prices) and build his speeder from B&P or from a MOC ?

because, I will have no use for the ridiculous tusken hut and weapon that Lego decided to stage out of the blue

so this means 30 euros for Mando, the child, the bike and extra tan parts

If you want the speeder too, it'll most likely be cheaper to buy the set itself. 

Though I'm not sure where "out of the blue" comes from, they're both in the show in that episode.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

15 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

honestly I never paid attention and never saw an tusken hut or this weapon before

Did you... erm... uhh... watch the first episode of Mando Season 2?

I did watch the whole season but honestly didn't pay attention to this, it's not such a big deal 

it's not like the most important detail of the season and judging the set, I would definitely not build or keep the hut and the weapon. Instead I would add up Cobb Vanth to go along with mando's bike

Edited by macaron35