XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

Hey Thorin,

No inside knowledge here, but since all four of the sets you mentioned have just been released (as in since January 1, 2020) I would say that any stocking issues at Lego are due to the pandemic, not to early retirement.  Most Lego sets appear to have a roughly 2 year lifespan when it comes to being sold, unless there is a big issue with them sitting on shelves and not selling (the MBS Betrayal at Bespin counts here).  Also, as far as the anecdotal evidence we have goes, all three helmet sets were big sellers, with Lego Shop online going out of stock with each of them in the first day of the May the Fourth promotion.

So, take that for what you will.

Cheers

Edit - Beaten to the punch by JDubbs

Edited by Omand
Timeliness

LEGO Shop at Home US has removed its back-in-stock notification feature for big-ticket items like the Millennium Falcon and the Star Destroyer.  Does this mean that they are getting close to normal stock levels, or further away??  :sadnew:

1 hour ago, Krisproductions said:

Is it worth starting to collect all the Lego Star Wars minifigures at this point in time?

If you mean a specific subset, like ones from the clone wars show or older ones with the yellow tones, than I can't really give you much advice there, but in general, I'd say it depends. There are a few pretty expensive figures, and there's some that are outrageously expensive and probably not worth it (Malgus, Revan, Rebels Ahsoka), but if you enjoy collecting them, go for it! If you really enjoy collecting them, it'll be worth it to you.

1 hour ago, Krisproductions said:

Is it worth starting to collect all the Lego Star Wars minifigures at this point in time?

Unless you already have some, HELL NO! :laugh:

According to Brickset, there's about 1200 Star Wars figures to date, with a million more on the way!

Now some of these are slight variants (CW Clone with grey or black rangefinder), but even still, that's a lot to collect. I'd say stick to a subtheme, or at least the core characters from each film.

I for instance recently did a couple of wanted lists just to ID some key figures from the OT and PT.

Example:

A NEW HOPE Shortlist:

Luke Skywalker - Farmboy, Pilot. 2016-current Farmboy is fairly easy to acquire (recent Landspeeder/Obi-Wan's Hut), while the 2019 Snowspeeder Luke has an X-Wing Uniform + standard pilot helmet.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - I prefer the 2014 figure, it's the best version to date imo.

R2-D2 - Kinda goes for the whole saga, so you just need one. Lavander dot is the most current.

C-3PO - See above. Most recent version from around 2014-current is pretty boss.

Han Solo - Death Star/Mos Eisley Cantina version. Until they release one with dual-molded boots, this figure'll do.

Princess Leia - Tantive IV version (2019). She has the dress, so she's the best version so far.

Chewbacca - 2014-current version is quite plentiful, and the current best version of Chewie. (can't get any better honestly)

Grand Moff Tarkin - 2016 Death Star version. Might be a tad expensive, but it's the most current Tarkin we have.

Darth Vader - Now, not many people notice this, but ANH Vader is slightly different from his ESB and ROTJ suits. Most notable are the "Suspenders", fabric that visibly overlaps his chest armor. Rebels Vader is the most ANH-accurate Vader, but if you really don't care (like most), then the Vader found in the Final Duel, Death Star, and Bespin sets will do.

I hope that's helpful at least. Given time, you can introduce Bounty Hunters, 1001 Imperial Occupations, Random pilots and troopers, droids, and so on. But start with the most current/accurate/personally preferred versions of the main cast first.

4 hours ago, Krisproductions said:

I've been collecting Ep 4-9 figs for the past few years (more seriously for the last year), minus some really minor variants, plus Rogue 1 and Solo, plus a handful from the other SW subthemes, and I have 642 unique figures right now. I just grabbed a Chrome Gold C-3PO and a Cloud City Boba Fett to complete my "fantasyland" wishlist, so I'm feeling rather poor, but very satisfied right now... :cry_happy:

I have a very understanding wife... :grin:

Hey guys, has anyone been noticing a run on figures lately? Figures that were easily available or relatively cheap just a few months ago have either completely disappeared from US sellers on Bricklink or hiked in price by 30-50%. Any way this is Covid related? Or is everyone just buying up whatever stock was left of these figs?

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

Hey guys, has anyone been noticing a run on figures lately? Figures that were easily available or relatively cheap just a few months ago have either completely disappeared from US sellers on Bricklink or hiked in price by 30-50%. Any way this is Covid related? Or is everyone just buying up whatever stock was left of these figs?

I would guess it's both sellers being greedy (taking advantage of Covid-19), and people buying out figures on Bricklink. I mean, tons of sets and figures have skyrocketed in price since around March, and it's not really stopping. I mean look at Lego's website. So much stuff is constantly on backorder or "Temporarily out of stock" with no restock in sight. Covid's exacerbated the supply and demand, and some Bricklink sellers (not all though) amp up the prices to make more off said demand.

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I would guess it's both sellers being greedy (taking advantage of Covid-19), and people buying out figures on Bricklink. I mean, tons of sets and figures have skyrocketed in price since around March, and it's not really stopping. I mean look at Lego's website. So much stuff is constantly on backorder or "Temporarily out of stock" with no restock in sight. Covid's exacerbated the supply and demand, and some Bricklink sellers (not all though) amp up the prices to make more off said demand.

I wouldn't say sellers being greedy. As a seller on bricklink, I usually put my items at a slightly lower price than the next cheapest for it's condition/quantity, and it seems to be the same for lots of other sellers. What then happens is people buy the cheapest ones first, and when demand increases on the site the price goes up because people are buying all the cheaper ones, and those who had been previously selling it cheaper might move the price up to reflect the new value. If a seller jacks up the price too high, people usually will just buy a cheaper one or wait until a seller posts one for less to sell it faster. The problem arises when demand, and the rate of the figure selling, increases so much that the price starts steadily moving up, which is how we get rebels ahsoka selling for more than the pelta-class she came in.

4 hours ago, 2maxwell said:

In addition to the above, if it's a clone wars set, it's probably due to season 7 increasing popularity of the show. I know Rex and Ahsoka just skyrocketed in price. 

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I wouldn't say sellers being greedy. As a seller on bricklink, I usually put my items at a slightly lower price than the next cheapest for it's condition/quantity, and it seems to be the same for lots of other sellers. What then happens is people buy the cheapest ones first, and when demand increases on the site the price goes up because people are buying all the cheaper ones, and those who had been previously selling it cheaper might move the price up to reflect the new value. If a seller jacks up the price too high, people usually will just buy a cheaper one or wait until a seller posts one for less to sell it faster. The problem arises when demand, and the rate of the figure selling, increases so much that the price starts steadily moving up, which is how we get rebels ahsoka selling for more than the pelta-class she came in.

While I don't doubt that, I have to contend that there are wild prices just because. Honestly, there's no real reason Rebels Ahsoka should be priced at $150+, she'd sell just as well (if not better) for $40. People price things where they think they'll sell. A low ball is great for the buyer, and sometimes will gain the seller patronage, but in the last 3 months or so, and I'm specifically referring to the "Covid Tax" if you will, prices have gone up, not just on Lego but other collectibles sold on secondary markets. I know there are those who strive to give the buyer a good deal, and I understand rarity (Rebels Ahsoka keeps coming up), hell, I just bought Velma from Scooby-Doo for way more than I'd like to admit, but greed is a factor for those astronomical prices. If it wasn't, most of the figures that have skyrocketed in price would be at least 10-40% cheaper than they are now.

Of course, cheap listings go quick, which is why some of us are stuck looking at a clone trooper for $50.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

In addition to the above, if it's a clone wars set, it's probably due to season 7 increasing popularity of the show. I know Rex and Ahsoka just skyrocketed in price. 

Theyre def clone war era figs, but not ones I'd expect to be completely run off the market. I was looking at phase 1 clone troopers for example, the new more realistic style, and there are none left for sale in NA where there used to be tons. Someone just put up 4 for twice their normal worth yesterday, and while I was debating buying them, someone bought all of them lol. I get that people might be building mocs, but this kind of hording is really frustrating. I don't want to have to pay absurd amounts or wait months to ship them from Europe. But in the end I only want 2-3 more so I may have to just bite the bullet. Really frustrated with myself for not buying them back when I first got a few in Feb.

1 hour ago, 2maxwell said:

Theyre def clone war era figs, but not ones I'd expect to be completely run off the market. I was looking at phase 1 clone troopers for example, the new more realistic style, and there are none left for sale in NA where there used to be tons. Someone just put up 4 for twice their normal worth yesterday, and while I was debating buying them, someone bought all of them lol. I get that people might be building mocs, but this kind of hording is really frustrating. I don't want to have to pay absurd amounts or wait months to ship them from Europe. But in the end I only want 2-3 more so I may have to just bite the bullet. Really frustrated with myself for not buying them back when I first got a few in Feb.

Yeah, I don't understand why army builders are getting ridiculous to find. I feel your pain because I too am debating getting a few extra Phase I troopers, and this kind of restricts your options.

About fig prices going up I too noticed the trend lately, especially if CW-related.

58 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Yeah, I don't understand why army builders are getting ridiculous to find. I feel your pain because I too am debating getting a few extra Phase I troopers, and this kind of restricts your options.

I also wanted to buy some more plain clones, but yeah, even here on the other side of the Atlantic I've seen crazy numbers next to the currency signs. Same with the (already expensive) clone pilots, now going for more than a microfighter, meaning my poor gunship remains pilot-less.

51 minutes ago, Per_SW said:

About fig prices going up I too noticed the trend lately, especially if CW-related.

I also wanted to buy some more plain clones, but yeah, even here on the other side of the Atlantic I've seen crazy numbers next to the currency signs. Same with the (already expensive) clone pilots, now going for more than a microfighter, meaning my poor gunship remains pilot-less.

Wow I just checked out clone pilots and they're so expensive now. They're $20 in NA now. Back in february I got one for $6. I should have thought to get more but I didn't need extras at the time.

2 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

It's almost exclusivly clones, and I think I know why. Tons of people want these massive clone armies, but look at the sets. besides the 212th battle pack, we only had: 1 501 in the $20 at-rt, 1 501 in the $50 headhunter, 2 212 in the $60 MHC, and 2 shock troopers in the police gunship. Since people have been trying to army build them like they came in battle packs, when on average it's about $30 of set per trooper, the price skyrockets. 

I don't like it either, my clone arms consists of 1 501st, 3 p1 shinies, a 212th airbourne, and a few kashyyk, with a few purist customs. Luckily that 501st set comes out soon.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's almost exclusivly clones, and I think I know why. Tons of people want these massive clone armies, but look at the sets. besides the 212th battle pack, we only had: 1 501 in the $20 at-rt, 1 501 in the $50 headhunter, 2 212 in the $60 MHC, and 2 shock troopers in the police gunship. Since people have been trying to army build them like they came in battle packs, when on average it's about $30 of set per trooper, the price skyrockets. 

I don't like it either, my clone arms consists of 1 501st, 3 p1 shinies, a 212th airbourne, and a few kashyyk, with a few purist customs. Luckily that 501st set comes out soon.

I was fortunate enough to get 3 of the AT-RTs and Utapau Troopers around release (and the BARC with Sidecar), but as a huge 212th fan, I was looking for a few extra 212th members. I've bought 3 from two different sellers, and it set me back around $60 :wacko:. So, I'm kind of hoping Lego fixes this by reintroducing more clones into the ecosystem. I'm pretty sure that 501st set is going to sell like the Mandalorian Battle Pack, if not better, people calmed down on the Mando pack, they might not with the 501st set.

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I was fortunate enough to get 3 of the AT-RTs and Utapau Troopers around release (and the BARC with Sidecar), but as a huge 212th fan, I was looking for a few extra 212th members. I've bought 3 from two different sellers, and it set me back around $60 :wacko:. So, I'm kind of hoping Lego fixes this by reintroducing more clones into the ecosystem. I'm pretty sure that 501st set is going to sell like the Mandalorian Battle Pack, if not better, people calmed down on the Mando pack, they might not with the 501st set.

I distinctly remember purchasing two utapau troopers packs at a target in 2014, but somehow despite having literally all of my legos organized I can only find one of the airbourne and a 212th trooper helmet with the print on the back of the helmet instead of the front.

I'm wondering about that 501st set. Afols are going to go crazy for it, which will probably be enough to make it sell pretty well, ( I mean, I'm planning to get a total of 5, and keep two sealed.), but at $30 I can't see children purchasing too many copies.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Just another public service announcement for those in the US: the LEGO Shop website has all three helmets, D-0, and the $160 Millennium Falcon back in stock.  The four D2Cs currently available:

-Tantive IV
-Death Star
-Imperial Star Destroyer
-Millennium Falcon

are sure to follow soon.  :classic:

Edited by RogueTwo

A few months back I got a Resistance Bomber that is the Finch Dallow version. 

How do I maximise its selling value? 

Remove the figure? Keep all inside the box?

43 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

A few months back I got a Resistance Bomber that is the Finch Dallow version. 

How do I maximise its selling value? 

Remove the figure? Keep all inside the box?

Keep. It. Sealed. Wait a few years, a set with a figure that doesn't appear in all versions of the set is going to be super expensive. If we don't get another bomber for a long while, that price will just keep climbing. You're sitting on a gold mine, man!

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Keep. It. Sealed. Wait a few years, a set with a figure that doesn't appear in all versions of the set is going to be super expensive. If we don't get another bomber for a long while, that price will just keep climbing. You're sitting on a gold mine, man!

Got it for £130 from America. 

Not sure if I just open it for the collection! But yes you’re right it’s going to be very valuable! 

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If we don't get another bomber for a long while,

Hopefully never :laugh:, but yes if you are looking at it as an investment @ArrowBricks, then this is the way.

I'm not entirely sure how the demand for it will rise though, given the design of the craft (or more accurately, how it's portrayed in-universe) has been lambasted. I personally like the design itself, but knowing it's capabilities ruins it for me. But, as far as someone collecting all the Resistance Pilots, for instance, then it'll likely keep value.

I've been looking at getting a republic gunship, but they're pretty dang expensive. I have yet to look through to see which pieces I have in my collection already, but currently it's $100 plus 4 orders of shipping without the figures or sticker sheet and using a different print for the bubble turrets. 

Does anyone have the gunship, and do you think it would look good without the stickers?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I've been looking at getting a republic gunship, but they're pretty dang expensive. I have yet to look through to see which pieces I have in my collection already, but currently it's $100 plus 4 orders of shipping without the figures or sticker sheet and using a different print for the bubble turrets. 

Does anyone have the gunship, and do you think it would look good without the stickers?

I think the only stickers you would miss are the large ones on the wings. But I'm also not sure the ball turrets would look that great without their prints... those go a long way to selling the dome pieces as the turrets. I guess it would depend what print they had instead.