XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

On 12/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, BacktoBricks said:

So if you click on the Retiring Soon section of the UK S@H site, then both the UCS Snowspeeder and UCS Slave 1 are listed. But whilst the Snowspeeder's page says 'Hard to find'  and 'Retiring Soon', the Slave 1's only says 'Hard to find'. Does this mean it is retiring soon?

It might make sense if Lego is planning on releasing a system scale Slave 1 in 2019 as well as having the mini one in CC. Just a heads up in case anybody does still want this as it *could* be going soon.

"Hard to Find" is used for large D2C sets that were originally LEGO Shop exclusives (typically the first 3 months of availability) and are now available at select big-box retailers like ToysRUs, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. It is not an indication that sets are retiring soon, as these sets are usually available for 2+ years. That said, the Slave I has outlasted several UCS sets that were introduced after it; as such it likely won't last more than another year.

In the US, the Snowspeeder is the only set I've seen get the Retiring Soon label in the last year. The US website used to apply it to older sets in their last 2-3 months of availability but it's now become the exception to the rule. (Your mileage may vary; the UK shop may still be applying it semi-regularly.) I assume the Snowspeeder got the Retiring Soon label either because they wanted to warn buyers that it is retiring early so as not to be caught off guard (since most UCS sets are sold for 2 or more years, and this one is retiring after 18 months) or because its sales were so bad that they needed the label to help push stock out the door.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

"Hard to Find" is used for large D2C sets that were originally LEGO Shop exclusives (typically the first 3 months of availability) and are now available at select big-box retailers like ToysRUs, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. It is not an indication that sets are retiring soon, as these sets are usually available for 2+ years. That said, the Slave I has outlasted several UCS sets that were introduced after it; as such it likely won't last more than another year.

In the US, the Snowspeeder is the only set I've seen get the Retiring Soon label in the last year. The US website used to apply it to older sets in their last 2-3 months of availability but it's now become the exception to the rule. (Your mileage may vary; the UK shop may still be applying it semi-regularly.) I assume the Snowspeeder got the Retiring Soon label either because they wanted to warn buyers that it is retiring early so as not to be caught off guard (since most UCS sets are sold for 2 or more years, and this one is retiring after 18 months) or because its sales were so bad that they needed the label to help push stock out the door.

Apologies, I know what the Hard to Find label means. Where I live it means 'buy from Lego online' or not at all lol. What I meant is, is that the Slave 1 hasn't been tagged with the Retiring Soon label, but it has been listed under the Retiring Soon page on the UK S@H. So there is a contradiction of sorts, but a very real possibility it seems that Lego has marked it for retirement. If this is the case, and it is not clearly marked as such, then it could go OOS quietly and those who still want it may miss out.

7 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Photos of the bag the VIP card holder comes in are lurking around the internet. Apparently it's resealable and the image is a piece of card, not printed onto the bag like a normal polybag. Call me nitpicky but putting the stand in a bag is just one final "screw you" to the black VIP members. Every exclusive for a convention, LUG or whatever comes in a special box. As for the yellow hands on the figure, at first I thought that we would be encouraged to swap out the head for our own, but now I doubt even that. I know LEGO normally has all their sets designed at least 6 months in advance and usually puts actual effort into them, but I really want to chalk this one up to sheer laziness. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we found out this one was designed two weeks ago. I can only imagine LEGO HQ the day they came up with this.

"Hey, December is a week away and those fools who fell for the black card bait are getting restless. Any ideas as to what we could give them?"
"Lando in Han's clothes?"
"We don't have time to get approval from Disney for that. What can you make with the bricks on your desk?"
"I don't know, maybe a card holder?"
"I want it on my desk in an hour, you've got sets that people will actually pay for to design. Have a graphic designer slap that picture from the card onto a torso and we'll call it a morning."
"What about the packaging?"
"Send the intern to the supermarket and have him get a couple packs of ziplock bags, it's too late to get a box made up."

I thought you were being a bit precious but having seen the image that is literally the cheapest looking polybag I’ve seen. It’s at odds with the super premium look/feel of the actual set. 

Does anyone know the dimensions for the UCS Slave 1 when on the display stand? I can't find it anywhere, only the dimensions when it's in landing position. 

17 minutes ago, Bourne4red said:

First post, be kind.

Is there a non-UCS Hammerhead Corvette set? ie. in scale with Tantive IV (10198)?

Thanks!

No

7 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

Does anyone know the dimensions for the UCS Slave 1 when on the display stand? I can't find it anywhere, only the dimensions when it's in landing position. 

I think this link will give you a good approximation of the dimensions: Slave I display case

On 12/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, Kevii23 said:

It may sound odd as I don't have a tape measure or ruler near me but it's around 58 studs high. I have a 56 x 28 stud baseplate and its just a bit taller than the 56 studs when I put it next to it.

20 hours ago, Kelso said:

Hi, does anyone know if the ships from set 75150 are minifig accurate?

8 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Yes, they are.

sabine flew an a-wing in a dogfight against vader and tarkin?

44 minutes ago, Tidy said:

sabine flew an a-wing in a dogfight against vader and tarkin?

No, but Sabine Wren indeed flew an A-Wing (Rebels S02E13) and it even is coloured correctly. Vader is using a TIE Advanced in the same show (not episode). The box design may show them in a dogfight, but then one could ask why the Box shows Kylo Ren in the upper right corner. I think it's a great set. The TIE/x1 is the best LEGO ever made (even better than the 2006 UCS regarding overall shaping and proportions) and the A-Wing (which itself is not a very common model) is nicely done (better than the newer 75175 including Lando???). The firing mechanism is cool, only the cannons which are very "tilty" are suboptimal. Aaand you get Vader with a 2pcs helmet and the other sets Tarkin appears in are two Death Stars and a Star Destroyer and this one is the only Rebels version. I bought it last week without any regrets so far. @Kelso if you still can get it for the original price or less, buy it.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

I think he's referring to the scaling rather than the specifics of the ships and their relevance to the theme isn't he?

54 minutes ago, Robianco said:

I think he's referring to the scaling rather than the specifics of the ships and their relevance to the theme isn't he?

Then it's a no, both miss a few studs in size. For best accuracy according scale (1:45 isn't it?), buy jerac's instructions at brickvault. 

I think the problem with scaling is that things change scale all the time. Look at the size of the pilots inside the Snowspeeders on the studio models compared to what they're supposed to be. The interior of the Falcon is a different size to the exterior (at least until the sequels) as they didn't actually have a full size model built to work with. For me, they look close enough that they'll do as Minifigure scale. A couple of studs difference doesn't bother me at all when it comes to scaling. It's when things are completely different when I make decisions about buying them. 

Vader's Advanced from that set looks great along with the TIE from the Solo sets, especially when they're flanking him. Same as the X-Wing from the last wave works perfectly with those.

Just now, Robianco said:

I think the problem with scaling is that things change scale all the time. Look at the size of the pilots inside the Snowspeeders on the studio models compared to what they're supposed to be. The interior of the Falcon is a different size to the exterior (at least until the sequels) as they didn't actually have a full size model built to work with. For me, they look close enough that they'll do as Minifigure scale. A couple of studs difference doesn't bother me at all when it comes to scaling. It's when things are completely different when I make decisions about buying them. 

Vader's Advanced from that set looks great along with the TIE from the Solo sets, especially when they're flanking him. Same as the X-Wing from the last wave works perfectly with those.

Full ack!

does someone have the estimated price of the entire SW minifigs collection ?

3 hours ago, G59 said:

wow almost 19,000€... is that reliable ? ? 

It depends if someone is willing to pay that price really. You will always pay a premium for an entire collection because the seller is also factoring in time and effort along with the accumulated cost for buying each figure (cost of figure, delivery charges, buying complete sets, storage). I can imagine it took a loooong time to build that collection and I would find it hard to sell for a "reasonable" price.

Brickset is listing about 1000 figures and the seller is listing at £17,000 so thats £17 per figure. When i look to buy a cheap common figure i tend to assign a £4-£5 in my head without even looking at the prices but rarer figures can command a lot more. The chrome C-3P0, old cloud city figs, NY Yoda can reach into the hundreds of pounds for a good quality version and there is a large number of figs that sit in the middle ground between the two extremes so the price soon adds up.

To anyone wanting to collect Star wars minfigs I would suggest a couple of things. Firstly, choose a sub category of films you enjoy and collect for that. It could be original trilogy, clone army, new trilogy or prequels as it offers a smaller number to aim for and you will have more fun collecting figs you actually like. I'm old and enjoy the original trilogy :classic:. Secondly, do not buy huge lots such as the one in the post above as you want to enjoy your hobby as it grows. The desire for a fig, planning, organising, building your own figures, the hunt, the announcement of a new figure by lego....... the list goes on. I've been slowly collecting figures for over10 years since coming out my dark ages and my collection is very much MY collection as each figure has it's own story. I couldn't imagine being as happy if I blew a lot of money on another persons collection and it turned up at my door a few days later.

4 hours ago, That Orange Thing said:

It depends if someone is willing to pay that price really. You will always pay a premium for an entire collection because the seller is also factoring in time and effort along with the accumulated cost for buying each figure (cost of figure, delivery charges, buying complete sets, storage). I can imagine it took a loooong time to build that collection and I would find it hard to sell for a "reasonable" price.

Brickset is listing about 1000 figures and the seller is listing at £17,000 so thats £17 per figure. When i look to buy a cheap common figure i tend to assign a £4-£5 in my head without even looking at the prices but rarer figures can command a lot more. The chrome C-3P0, old cloud city figs, NY Yoda can reach into the hundreds of pounds for a good quality version and there is a large number of figs that sit in the middle ground between the two extremes so the price soon adds up.

To anyone wanting to collect Star wars minfigs I would suggest a couple of things. Firstly, choose a sub category of films you enjoy and collect for that. It could be original trilogy, clone army, new trilogy or prequels as it offers a smaller number to aim for and you will have more fun collecting figs you actually like. I'm old and enjoy the original trilogy :classic:. Secondly, do not buy huge lots such as the one in the post above as you want to enjoy your hobby as it grows. The desire for a fig, planning, organising, building your own figures, the hunt, the announcement of a new figure by lego....... the list goes on. I've been slowly collecting figures for over10 years since coming out my dark ages and my collection is very much MY collection as each figure has it's own story. I couldn't imagine being as happy if I blew a lot of money on another persons collection and it turned up at my door a few days later.

thank you so much for the good advice !

15 hours ago, G59 said:

wow almost 19,000€... is that reliable ? ? 

If you do think about it, it includeds all the promotional figs like chrome vader, chrome c 3po, but it will stilll be hard to tell, especially since you cannot compare it to others. I am sure that the price would include the time the seller put in to collect all the mfs from 1999 all the way to 2018.

How likely is it that the Resistance X-Wing Fighter 75149 will get a new set in the next few years? Or maybe even a UCS? I'm trying to decide whether or not I should buy this set or wait a bit for a newer/better looking version since i'm not in a rush.

Edit: I have another question actually, how likely is it that we'll see another U-Wing set? If we won't then I want to buy it since I saw the mod for it.

Edited by Kelso