XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

15 hours ago, Jockos said:

How UCS supports behave? I'm thinking about putting the Slave I on its stand, but iirc, I read here some time ago that it tends to bend..

I remember an old thread about the Slave I itself drooping over time, but not the stand. I think that is what @Hold0511 was referring to. I have the Slave I, TIE Fighter and newer X-Wing, Y-Wing and Snowspeeder UCS sets, all displayed on their stands. I have not noticed any bending at all, all stands are very solid and the bricks that make up the stands have no visible deformation. The X-Wing has some stability issues but that's caused by the ship itself being back heavy, the stand is completely fine (I was playing around with swapping the ships on their stands, the X-Wing stand can hold both the Y Wing and Snowspeeder without tipping over). The worst stand that I've come across is by far the one that comes with BB-8 from last year, can't move it without breaking something. 

I'd be more worried about the stickers on the newer sets than anything else. I've noticed the stickers on my Snowspeeder have already started to peel. Any other 75144 owners noticed the same thing? 

1 hour ago, Jockos said:

Thank you, I will search for it! But I'm also interested in other supports, such as X-, Y-wing and Snowspeeder, where the stand can be tilted. Will it damage the pin or any part if it's in "flight" mode and/or fully vertical?

Not so far on my mine - I've not built my UCS Slave I, but the other UCS sets on stands (X-Wing (2nd one), Y-wing (old and new), Snowspeeder (old and new), Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptor are all fine - the oldest ones have been on the stand for 9/10 years now and all fine.  I periodically give them a dust down and move them around to avoid any sun bleaching and the stands all seem as good as new.  

53 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I remember an old thread about the Slave I itself drooping over time, but not the stand. I think that is what @Hold0511 was referring to. I have the Slave I, TIE Fighter and newer X-Wing, Y-Wing and Snowspeeder UCS sets, all displayed on their stands. I have not noticed any bending at all, all stands are very solid and the bricks that make up the stands have no visible deformation. The X-Wing has some stability issues but that's caused by the ship itself being back heavy, the stand is completely fine (I was playing around with swapping the ships on their stands, the X-Wing stand can hold both the Y Wing and Snowspeeder without tipping over). The worst stand that I've come across is by far the one that comes with BB-8 from last year, can't move it without breaking something. 

I'd be more worried about the stickers on the newer sets than anything else. I've noticed the stickers on my Snowspeeder have already started to peel. Any other 75144 owners noticed the same thing? 

39 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

Not so far on my mine - I've not built my UCS Slave I, but the other UCS sets on stands (X-Wing (2nd one), Y-wing (old and new), Snowspeeder (old and new), Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptor are all fine - the oldest ones have been on the stand for 9/10 years now and all fine.  I periodically give them a dust down and move them around to avoid any sun bleaching and the stands all seem as good as new.  

Thanks guys! :) After seeing the new CC pics, I've been thinking about putting together a CC diorama with the MF, Slave I and the new set.

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The Slave I drooping problem was not with the stand or the bricks that make up the stand. The drooping problem was with the Slave I model itself, which eventually comes apart near where the cockpit glass meets the body of the ship. It takes a while, but it does seem to happen pretty consistently if your Slave I is displayed in flight orientation. (It happened to mine, despite never being touched for the last year or so. It was built properly, so not user error.)

And yes, the BB-8 stand falls apart with a light breeze.

Dare I ask... will we ever see Star Wars walkers with proper articulation? My Rogue One AT-ST looks great... but that's just it. It looks great. The head turning feature is cool as ever. Considering that AT-STs have about 4-5 points of articulation in the legs, I'm really bummed that a set from 2007 has more articulation than one from 2016. And this goes for more sets than just the AT-ST, the small walkers in battle packs (like the Imperial pack from 2017) have been incredibly lacking. The legs for them often have either one point of articulation (AT-ST, AT-DP). That, or they have more, but their orientation prevents them from bending forward much further than a standard upright position. They also only bend on one axis, so even if they have a decent number of joints, they can't properly plant their feet on slightly uneven terrain. No ankle or hip articulation also mean you can't shift their balance, a key issue when posing other figures. The ball-joints from both larger Constraction figures and the smaller Mixel joints would be amazing on those sets, at least for the "hips" and ankles on it. I understand that the 5 points an AT-ST has would be a bit ridiculous and not feasible for a LEGO set for children, but for me at least 3 points is a minimum I'd like to see on most figures or mechs. Oh well, what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, JoeyB said:

Dare I ask... will we ever see Star Wars walkers with proper articulation? My Rogue One AT-ST looks great... but that's just it. It looks great. The head turning feature is cool as ever. Considering that AT-STs have about 4-5 points of articulation in the legs, I'm really bummed that a set from 2007 has more articulation than one from 2016. And this goes for more sets than just the AT-ST, the small walkers in battle packs (like the Imperial pack from 2017) have been incredibly lacking. The legs for them often have either one point of articulation (AT-ST, AT-DP). That, or they have more, but their orientation prevents them from bending forward much further than a standard upright position. They also only bend on one axis, so even if they have a decent number of joints, they can't properly plant their feet on slightly uneven terrain. No ankle or hip articulation also mean you can't shift their balance, a key issue when posing other figures. The ball-joints from both larger Constraction figures and the smaller Mixel joints would be amazing on those sets, at least for the "hips" and ankles on it. I understand that the 5 points an AT-ST has would be a bit ridiculous and not feasible for a LEGO set for children, but for me at least 3 points is a minimum I'd like to see on most figures or mechs. Oh well, what are your thoughts?

I'd say the designers will have to think that it would be hard to play with if the legs flop around too much, they need to think about children as well as adults. 

Anyone not getting catalogs anymore? I'm on the East Coast of Canada and the last Lego Shop at Home catalog I got was January with the Diner on the front.

Summer 2018 catalog didn't come so I requested a catalog in late June via the website. 2 weeks later, the January 2018 one came again, with the Diner on the front. So my question is: Has anyone in Canada gotten a summer catalog? I think it has the Han Solo falcon on the front - and maybe this was sent to only Americans (or some areas of Canada?) 

I don't think we're likely to see much articulation on AT-STs and other small walkers, because it's really difficult to get right. Devising joints and connections that walk the line between being poseable and solid enough to actually hold a pose is already a challenge, and on top of that, sets have to stand up to being played with. AT-ATs are probably going to remain the walkers with the most articulation and poseabilty (even though they still can't splay their legs out to the side like in the films, nor raise and lower their heads).

Has anyone bought the new Imperial landing craft yet and determined how easy it is to modify to get those side compartments to close seamlessly? That gap is utterly hideous and should not be on a finished retail model if you ask me.

6 hours ago, darththeling said:

Anyone not getting catalogs anymore? I'm on the East Coast of Canada and the last Lego Shop at Home catalog I got was January with the Diner on the front.

Summer 2018 catalog didn't come so I requested a catalog in late June via the website. 2 weeks later, the January 2018 one came again, with the Diner on the front. So my question is: Has anyone in Canada gotten a summer catalog? I think it has the Han Solo falcon on the front - and maybe this was sent to only Americans (or some areas of Canada?) 

I'm from Quebec and received mine 2-3 weeks ago, weird :(

On 9/6/2018 at 6:51 AM, JoeyB said:

I have the RO AT-ST as well, modified to have two seats. I see the idea of the designer to have a solid walker for children to play with the head, which is great. Walker articulations are thought to "imagine" the articulations while moving.

I've tried to modify it sometime ago, but didn't get a good design for it. It becomes unstable very easily. The head has a lot of weight, so it's difficult to have it stable. It should have more continuous articulations to fit the legs in the right place, but they are too soft for the weight. Maybe a mix of discrete and continuous articulations would work, but I haven't tried that.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:22 PM, RetroInferno said:

I'm from Quebec and received mine 2-3 weeks ago, weird :(

Thank you for letting me know, my PO box was still empty last week of Lego catalogs so I ordered one. Lego's been known to skip catalogs on me before so I feel my paranoia is justified. :) 

For those of you that didn't know about that service and appreciates having a physical catalog: https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/CATALOGS 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:29 AM, darththeling said:

Thank you for letting me know, my PO box was still empty last week of Lego catalogs so I ordered one. Lego's been known to skip catalogs on me before so I feel my paranoia is justified. :) 

For those of you that didn't know about that service and appreciates having a physical catalog: https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/CATALOGS 

I just got mine a week ago

Umm..I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the UCS snowspeeder is listed as "retiring soon" on my S@H...is that not overly soon?

Meanwhile, the Slave-I is still on stock, without any sign of retirement...

On 9/16/2018 at 5:29 PM, darththeling said:

How about saving the environment? :wink:

Edited by brobert

2 hours ago, brobert said:

Umm..I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the UCS snowspeeder is listed as "retiring soon" on my S@H...is that not overly soon?

Yes you're right. Retiring Soon on the UK S@H too. As I don't know sales figures I could be entirely wrong, but I get the impression that the Snowspeeder hasn't been the best selling set. There were some big discounts pretty soon after its release. Slave 1 on the other hand probably appeals to more people.

25 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes you're right. Retiring Soon on the UK S@H too. As I don't know sales figures I could be entirely wrong, but I get the impression that the Snowspeeder hasn't been the best selling set. There were some big discounts pretty soon after its release. Slave 1 on the other hand probably appeals to more people.

Well, unfortunately I haven't seen the discounts around here...well I was going to "suprise myself" with it for this Christmas anyway... :classic:  I just hope that if the sales are indeed low, and god forbid the Y-wing doesn't sell as well either, they don't come to the wrong conclusions that they need to focus more on the "master builder" line rather than "classic" display UCS sets...would be a shame.

I think display UCS sets are safe. I think they just looked at how people tried to classify a UCS set and decided to create the Master Builder Series Tag to use on playsets. There are plenty of display models they can build to use one tag and plenty of playset type environments to use the MBD tag.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:57 PM, brobert said:

The Slave-I is an excellent set for display. It's also minifig scale and a perfect companion of the UCS MF. The UCS snowspeeder has less versatility and of course it isn't minifig scale. I think the minifig scale property is something that wider the appealing of an UCS set.  The Y-Wing is oversized for a minifig, but as it holds a minifig pretty decently I guess it will sell better. 

Has anyone noticed that there is no mention anymore of the Black VIP Card "perks" :iamded_lol: if you click on your VIP account? I was kind of hoping there would be a very last promotion towards the end of the year, but it seems all hope is gone now…

This whole thing was a "bloody shambles", if I can quote Lord Sugar.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:52 PM, dvogon said:

The Slave-I is an excellent set for display. It's also minifig scale and a perfect companion of the UCS MF. The UCS snowspeeder has less versatility and of course it isn't minifig scale. I think the minifig scale property is something that wider the appealing of an UCS set.  The Y-Wing is oversized for a minifig, but as it holds a minifig pretty decently I guess it will sell better. 

Yes, the Slave-I is indeed awesome, I have it (my father has it...:laugh_hard:) too, I only ever saw the Snowspeeder assembled live once or twice but I quite like it. I'm not that bothered about scale since the other sets are all over the place too anyway. In any case, it's even sold out in TRU here...

Edited by brobert

Does anyone know the origin to the imperial conveye gunner? Is he in the movie? So far there is except him a few odd choices of mini figures in the Solo wave, I also think the droids of kessel are strange despite very little screening time. Either the way of lego work in very mysterious ways, or lego gets insufficient intel from Disney ahead of new movies.

Hey guys, I recently bought a lego bulk and there were a lot of clone troopers marked with permanet markers. Any idea on how to get the marks off without damaging the print? I found out that if you put whiteboard markers on them it cleans away most of the permanet marker but still leave traces of it behind. Suggestions?

15 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Does anyone know the origin to the imperial conveye gunner? Is he in the movie? So far there is except him a few odd choices of mini figures in the Solo wave, I also think the droids of kessel are strange despite very little screening time. Either the way of lego work in very mysterious ways, or lego gets insufficient intel from Disney ahead of new movies.

See here:

https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/22/2/1527550878-soloconcept2.jpg

Either the concept art was never used or the scene was cut. Considering the reshoots both seems possible.

However, keep in mind Lego often has to work with concept art and preliminary material. When discussing the Solo-line Lego designers said they were really afraid that their sets and figures would not show up, especially the patrol troopers. They did not criticise Disney openly but you could see they were not exactly happy.