XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

Going to buy some lego this week for double vip points, only havent really decided what to buy. Considering the following sets:

1. Attack on hoth ucs set

2. Snowspeeder ucs set

3. U-wing and Resistance bomber

4. Tie Fighter ucs.

Anyone who got one of these sets and would like to share their opinion on it? :-)

Edited by tom20arc

1 hour ago, tom20arc said:

Going to buy some lego this week for double vip points, only havent really decided what to buy. Considering the following sets:

2. Snowspeeder ucs set

4. Tie Fighter ucs.

Anyone who got one of these sets and would like to share their opinion on it? :-)

Assault on hoth is an incredibly underrated set. If you don't have any of the older hoth sets, it's a great pickup. UCS snowspeeder looks great on display and is a very fun build. The u-wing is an excellent set, probably the best of the rogue one wave, but it doesn't really have room in the cargo bay down the bottom. TIE is very impressive on display (it's massive) but the build is boring, monotonous and repetitive.

I have 1, 3 and 4 of the sets you listed.

1. Assault on Hoth gets a bad rap, but given that I didn't have any of the original sets which comprise the UCS bundle, I found it to be a good deal, with lots of play features nicely integrated.

2. I have the original UCS Snowspeeder and the new one looks like a huge improvement in accuracy... This is probably my favorite of all five sets you listed, though I haven't bought it as I'm waiting to find it under list price. Hoping it goes on sale for Wookie Weekend or whatever they're calling next year's Han Solo launch (though that's probably too soon, since it's only 6 months old).

3. Have not yet built the Resistance Bomber but most who have say it is their favorite of sets from TLJ (which may not be saying much). U-Wing is okay, but I think you have to be a fan of the ship to value it as a set. I found the design of the source material kind of absurd... the cargo section is clearly tacked on, the in-movie landing gear looked ridiculous, there's no astromech even though there's clearly space for one, the folding wings seem like a gimmick.

4. UCS TIE was a bit monotonous to build, but the end result is a really nice display model.... I'm not a huge fan of using mostly square and angled bricks to accomplish curved surfaces/spheres (e.g., the new BB-8 quasi-UCS set), but I think it actually turned out nicely in this case. And it or the U-Wing will probably be retired first of all the sets you listed. 

Attack on Hoth and UCS TIE were both put on sale 20-25% off at the LEGO Store for Force Friday II (plus double VIP points at the time), which means they are likely candidates to go on sale again, perhaps for Black Friday (if that sale extends to The Netherlands?).

Generally I limit my full-price purchases at the LEGO Store to D2C/exclusives, given that they rarely go on sale anywhere, whereas all the general-release sets will eventually be marked down at other retailers. So of all these I would probably suggest the Snowspeeder since it's least likely to go on sale anywhere any time soon.

Edited by jdubbs

6 hours ago, tom20arc said:

2. Snowspeeder ucs set

4. Tie Fighter ucs.

I’d go for the U wing or Tie Fighter... just because they are the most likely to go retired this next year. They’re both great sets too. The snowspeeder and resistance bomber are also great sets, but they are likely to be around for 12 months or more...

I'm thinking about making a MOC of Jabba's Sail Barge but I'm having a little trouble with the dimensions of the ship.

The only measurement I've found is 30m for length (about 70cm in minifigure scale). Using a couple of schematics of the ship and the program paint to find out the proportions, I've got 12,5cm for the highest part at the back of the barge (excluding sails and railing) and 9,2cm for the lowest part near the center (excluding sails and railing). After making a skeleton of the ship to picture the dimensions, it feels a tad too short (length and width are fine).

Does anyone have more knowledge of the Sail Barge and can help me find other more accurate mesaurements or confirm the ones I found? Thanks.

I really enjoyed the Tie Fighter build, the cockpit was amazing, the wing structures werer brilliant in how they connected and the display is top notch. 

On 12-10-2017 at 10:54 PM, Brikkyy13 said:

Assault on hoth is an incredibly underrated set. If you don't have any of the older hoth sets, it's a great pickup. UCS snowspeeder looks great on display and is a very fun build. The u-wing is an excellent set, probably the best of the rogue one wave, but it doesn't really have room in the cargo bay down the bottom. TIE is very impressive on display (it's massive) but the build is boring, monotonous and repetitive.

On 12-10-2017 at 10:54 PM, jdubbs said:

I have 1, 3 and 4 of the sets you listed.

1. Assault on Hoth gets a bad rap, but given that I didn't have any of the original sets which comprise the UCS bundle, I found it to be a good deal, with lots of play features nicely integrated.

2. I have the original UCS Snowspeeder and the new one looks like a huge improvement in accuracy... This is probably my favorite of all five sets you listed, though I haven't bought it as I'm waiting to find it under list price. Hoping it goes on sale for Wookie Weekend or whatever they're calling next year's Han Solo launch (though that's probably too soon, since it's only 6 months old).

3. Have not yet built the Resistance Bomber but most who have say it is their favorite of sets from TLJ (which may not be saying much). U-Wing is okay, but I think you have to be a fan of the ship to value it as a set. I found the design of the source material kind of absurd... the cargo section is clearly tacked on, the in-movie landing gear looked ridiculous, there's no astromech even though there's clearly space for one, the folding wings seem like a gimmick.

4. UCS TIE was a bit monotonous to build, but the end result is a really nice display model.... I'm not a huge fan of using mostly square and angled bricks to accomplish curved surfaces/spheres (e.g., the new BB-8 quasi-UCS set), but I think it actually turned out nicely in this case. And it or the U-Wing will probably be retired first of all the sets you listed. 

Attack on Hoth and UCS TIE were both put on sale 20-25% off at the LEGO Store for Force Friday II (plus double VIP points at the time), which means they are likely candidates to go on sale again, perhaps for Black Friday (if that sale extends to The Netherlands?).

Generally I limit my full-price purchases at the LEGO Store to D2C/exclusives, given that they rarely go on sale anywhere, whereas all the general-release sets will eventually be marked down at other retailers. So of all these I would probably suggest the Snowspeeder since it's least likely to go on sale anywhere any time soon.

On 13-10-2017 at 4:26 AM, thorin said:

I’d go for the U wing or Tie Fighter... just because they are the most likely to go retired this next year. They’re both great sets too. The snowspeeder and resistance bomber are also great sets, but they are likely to be around for 12 months or more...

19 hours ago, Flagg1900 said:

I really enjoyed the Tie Fighter build, the cockpit was amazing, the wing structures werer brilliant in how they connected and the display is top notch. 

Decided to go for Assault on hoth and UCS Snowspeeder. I really like the hoth theme, and since I dont got a lot of Hoth sets its a great pickup. Also just love the design of the UCS Snowspeeder, one of my favourite star wars ships.  Might pickup the UCS Tie Fighter too in the future before it retires and doubles in price :P

Thxn for the opinions! :-)

On 14-10-2017 at 2:31 AM, Terrasher said:

I'm thinking about making a MOC of Jabba's Sail Barge but I'm having a little trouble with the dimensions of the ship.

The only measurement I've found is 30m for length (about 70cm in minifigure scale). Using a couple of schematics of the ship and the program paint to find out the proportions, I've got 12,5cm for the highest part at the back of the barge (excluding sails and railing) and 9,2cm for the lowest part near the center (excluding sails and railing). After making a skeleton of the ship to picture the dimensions, it feels a tad too short (length and width are fine).

Does anyone have more knowledge of the Sail Barge and can help me find other more accurate mesaurements or confirm the ones I found? Thanks.

Nice, good luck with MOCing :classic:

Could you share a picture of the frame you have?

1 hour ago, TWP said:

Nice, good luck with MOCing :classic:

Could you share a picture of the frame you have?

Here's a pic: MOCQJym_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

On the bottom is the "frame". It's just a really rudimentary skeleton to get the idea of the dimensions of the ship. On top is what I've built so far. It'll probably be a little bit taller than it should, but just a little.

13 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Here's a pic:

On the bottom is the "frame". It's just a really rudimentary skeleton to get the idea of the dimensions of the ship. On top is what I've built so far. It'll probably be a little bit taller than it should, but just a little.

Seems fine to me. I've remeasured it for you and got to the same conclusions. Just build it how it is now with the frame, and after you can always enlarge it by 2-3 studs depending on what works with parts, and see if it looks better. Cross-reference it times with the film, and see if it's also accurate enough. The sail barge is just not that high, however, in lego versions they make it higher, so that's what you think it should be :wink:

I don't know of a better forum to ask but can anyone enlighten me as to why TLG seemingly promote scalpers/profiteers by creating exclusives but condone the practice at the same time? I'm referring in particular two recent designer signing limited events; one being the UCS MF signing at the Leicester Square store (limited to 100) and the other is Marco Bessa signing the NYCC Boba & Han in carbonite brickheadz. The later is already exclusive by its limited number but then they have created a 'super exclusive' by Marco signing some of them. Marco even posed for photos whilst signing, adding validity to the signature. They are appearing all over EBay for extortionist prices...as expected. TLG would absolutely know this would happen. My question is why? My initial thought is that the intent is to increase perceived value/hype amongst fans to drive future sales of non-exclusive variants. It seems very hypocritical but maybe I'm off-target and missing the point?  

I'm a guy who jumps all over, I've been through most of the themes... and then I stumbled along here. 

I'm a long time Star Wars fan, and still am, and I'm quite surprised at myself for only having, through my 8 years of Lego building, only acquired 5 Star Wars sets, 2 of which have been sold. Other than Medieval MOCS. Star Wars is the best one, in my opinion next. So I come here with just one question. What would be some good starter sets, for me, and average builder with about 2-3 years of MOC experience, who likes to recreate scenes from the movies? I like to recreate the scenes and I then make brickfilms. Also, I'm trying to get into ship building, so some helpful tips for that would be accepted as well. So, what are some great sets to start of my Star Wars MOC experience?

Any advice is appreciated.

-T

4 hours ago, Tyndale said:

I'm a guy who jumps all over, I've been through most of the themes... and then I stumbled along here. 

I'm a long time Star Wars fan, and still am, and I'm quite surprised at myself for only having, through my 8 years of Lego building, only acquired 5 Star Wars sets, 2 of which have been sold. Other than Medieval MOCS. Star Wars is the best one, in my opinion next. So I come here with just one question. What would be some good starter sets, for me, and average builder with about 2-3 years of MOC experience, who likes to recreate scenes from the movies? I like to recreate the scenes and I then make brickfilms. Also, I'm trying to get into ship building, so some helpful tips for that would be accepted as well. So, what are some great sets to start of my Star Wars MOC experience?

Any advice is appreciated.

-T

If you're willing to spend a lot on your first set, I recommend the Slave I. Amazing build, beautiful ship and you can recreate one of the final scenes of Episode V.

Nah, get the new Millennium Falcon UCS :wink:. Go big or go home is what I say!

All jokes aside, I recommend either the U-wing or the TIE striker.The U-wing is a great ship and comes with enough rebels to start a small army. The TIE striker would be a good one too, an also Krennic's shuttle is a great ship. All would be discounted somewhere I would think, and they will probably be retired soon, so i would pick one of them up.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

If you're willing to spend a lot on your first set, I recommend the Slave I. Amazing build, beautiful ship and you can recreate one of the final scenes of Episode V.

This. ^^^^^^

If you are not willing to spend this much the Y-Wing is amazing for it's cost.

13 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

This. ^^^^^^

If you are not willing to spend this much the Y-Wing is amazing for it's cost.

TIE Striker, Force Awakens X-wings, Slave 1, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Krennics Shuttle

all greatly designed ships that are currently available 

3 hours ago, Whovastron said:

TIE Striker, Force Awakens X-wings, Slave 1, A-Wing, Y-Wing, Krennics Shuttle

all greatly designed ships that are currently available 

Those are good options. If you are a long time star wars fan, Rogue One would fit very well as most of the sets could be used elsewhere. I would get the TIE Striker, the Y-Wing, and the X-Wing from the Force Awakens, all those sets may be found with discounts, so it would be a good start.

Then I would modify the X-Wing to match the original trilogy Blue Squadron X-Wing, which is an interesting small MOC project for a ship using the new cockpit piece to obtain a better shaped original X-Wing. These small things are very important (and fun) in a MOC ;)

Is there some sort of list that shows which LEGO minifigures are also shown in the movies (especially the Force Awakens)? It’s hard to see what minifigure represents a character in the movies.

Edited by Moexy

On Bricklink, each SW minifig has a sub-category that denotes whether it is from OT, CW, Rebels, Ep 1,2,3,7, Rogue One or other.

Is that what you meant?

Not exactly. For example: First Order Officer (75166) from The Force Awakens line, is there a movie character that corresponds with it? There are so many variations in LEGO that I don’t know if they correspond with a character from the movies.

Thank you for the trouble!

Edited by Moexy

4 hours ago, Moexy said:

Not exactly. For example: First Order Officer (75166) from The Force Awakens line, is there a movie character that corresponds with it? There are so many variations in LEGO that I don’t know if they correspond with a character from the movies.

Thank you for the trouble!

I don't know if there's a database, but you can be sure that people on the Internet have identified them (or failed to do so).  :laugh:

For the particular example you cited, I think the guy is supposed to be Colonel Datoo.  But it's hard when the Star Wars sets keep reusing the same generic minifigure heads.

18 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

I don't know if there's a database, but you can be sure that people on the Internet have identified them (or failed to do so).  :laugh:

For the particular example you cited, I think the guy is supposed to be Colonel Datoo.  But it's hard when the Star Wars sets keep reusing the same generic minifigure heads.

Thank you for the info! A database would come in handy :wub: 

For the moment I’m just collecting all Minifigures from the force awakens and the last Jedi :laugh:

What to buy first? Jabba's Palace 9516 or the UCS Tie Fighter and U-Wing? I also just go the original sandcrawler sealed and was wondering if that was a good choice of set to buy for around 210 USD shipping included. 

31 minutes ago, star wars geek said:

What to buy first? Jabba's Palace 9516 or the UCS Tie Fighter and U-Wing? I also just go the original sandcrawler sealed and was wondering if that was a good choice of set to buy for around 210 USD shipping included. 

It really depends what you're interested in, figures or vehicles? Jabba's Palace would be an instant buy if you like minifigures as it has an outstanding collection included plus the model is really excellent too. The only problem with buying the palace is the sudden urge to buy the Rancor pit to go with it. As for the two ships, they never really struck me as wow vehicles I must have. In fact I took my U-wing apart for parts as it looked strangely proportioned and bulky.

I'd say the Sandcrawler is a great price as Bricklink is showing around $300 without the shipping.

54 minutes ago, star wars geek said:

I would definitely stay away from the U-wing, if you're only in it for the ship. It has an ugly, massively oversized troop bay in the bottom of the fighter (which can be modded to be smaller), but it just is way out of proportion. Good minifigs though. The TIE is great, but overpriced. I would go with a sandcrawler, but be careful what you pay. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for the more recent one. As far as Jabba's Palace goes, it is great. Amazing minifigs, but small model. I would either buy that, a sandcrawler, or something like UCS Slave 1 or the UCS Snowspeeder. Both are fairly recent and not yet overpriced, and they are Star Wars classics. But, go with whatever you want to buy that has both good figures and a good model.