XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

11 hours ago, thorin said:

I struggled with this same decision a couple years ago when the new one came out. Ultimately I went with paying more and ebaying the 6210 for the following reasons:

1) Sails are fabric in lieu of stiff plastic. Personally I like the fabric ones since they inherently have a matte finish and don't feel so glossy/fake.

2) The nose. I totally agree with retroinferno... The nose on 75020 sucks. Sucks sucks sucks. Straight up ugly. In fact... I think it ruins the entire set. It's is too noticeable and "wart" looking. The smooth conical nose of 6210 blends in perfectly.

3) You get the Sarlac and a skiff... Yes, you can pick these up all over, but I personally wanted a couple of skiffs (to match the movie) and this made it easy to pick up an extra skiff right off the bat.

4) My only negatives to 6210 were the minifigs. Particularly the all-green Jabba and the all-green Gamorean guard. They are printless and it makes them look much older than the rest of the set. I did buy Jabba's Palace and the Rancor Pit... So that makes up for it. I'm still out Max Rebo and Ree Yees... But I suppose I can pick them off later if I want... I didn't have any hesitation pairing the old 6210 with the new palace and pit...

...there is no easy way to bricklink a new nose design, and there was no way I could build it like 75020 was designed and keep a straight face (pun?) As you can tell, the nose design was the "deal breaker" for me.

I concur on each point and it was exactly my reasoning when I picked up 6210 in mint condition for a good price last year. I already had the updated Jabba, several Gamorean Guards and Max Reebo so the fig's weren't a big issue for me.

Edited by Markalus

Thanks for the thoughts on Jabba's Sail Barge!

Today I purchased a 6210. Built once display only condition, with box, instructions, and non-applied sticker sheet.

Got it for considerably less than a MISB 75020.

In the end, the front bow of 75020 was the killer for me. As for the "dated" mini figs in 6210, I actually don't mind them. They have a certain amount of old school charm.

12 hours ago, eliminator said:

Thanks for the thoughts on Jabba's Sail Barge!

Today I purchased a 6210. Built once display only condition, with box, instructions, and non-applied sticker sheet.

Got it for considerably less than a MISB 75020.

In the end, the front bow of 75020 was the killer for me. As for the "dated" mini figs in 6210, I actually don't mind them. They have a certain amount of old school charm.

Congrats! That's a nice pickup. You'll love it.

Is there any news of another Lego poly-bag promotion with the times(in the UK)? Because around the the release of episode 7 there was a poly-bag promotion with a mini FO tie and  a mini Poe's x-wing.

Is there any rhyme or reason to when shop.lego.com offers double or triple points? I believe they just did double points before the UCS Snowspeeder was released... any way of predicting if they'll be offered again any time soon? I've never bought anything directly from LEGO but I'm planning to buy a number of their exclusives in the near future, so I'd like to time the order correctly...

48 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Is there any rhyme or reason to when shop.lego.com offers double or triple points? I believe they just did double points before the UCS Snowspeeder was released... any way of predicting if they'll be offered again any time soon? I've never bought anything directly from LEGO but I'm planning to buy a number of their exclusives in the near future, so I'd like to time the order correctly...

I don't believe there's ever been triple VIP points for USA/Canada. (Perhaps a couple of times on specific sets). IMO, if you want to maximize your dollar, wait until there is double VIP points and a free gift set. Over the past few years, I've made several purchases during the holiday season where Lego has offered the annual free holiday set and double VIP points at the same time. Last year I was selling the Snow-globe sets locally for $30-35 each. Much better than triple points.

The next double VIP promo is scheduled to run 1-4 July.

41 minutes ago, eliminator said:

I don't believe there's ever been triple VIP points for USA/Canada. (Perhaps a couple of times on specific sets). IMO, if you want to maximize your dollar, wait until there is double VIP points and a free gift set. Over the past few years, I've made several purchases during the holiday season where Lego has offered the annual free holiday set and double VIP points at the same time. Last year I was selling the Snow-globe sets locally for $30-35 each. Much better than triple points.

The next double VIP promo is scheduled to run 1-4 July.

Thanks, good to know... I have a vague memory of seeing triple points offered late last year, but it could been EU people here posting about it in their locations. 

1:Death Star 

2:First order star destroyer 

3:Jabba sail barge

I'm free to other suggestions too:)

I think you should do something original, something not Star Wars. Creatively, I think it limits you to just make something you saw in Star Wars. And your options are kinda limited. The Death Star is a ball, I can attest to that having Bricklinked one myself, and No matter what you do, you can't really improve on that. Next, there are 100s of different designs for Star destroyers already, from Venetor class to the First Order. So, I guess you would have a lot of examples. But again, it wouldn't be original. Finally, making Jabba's sail barge could be interesting, but it's not the prettiest vehicle. I mean it's a big brown blob, with sails.

So this is my suggestion. Make something original. Join one of the games on Eurobricks, like Brethren of the Brick Seas, if you like pirates, or Andromeda's Gates, if you like space ships. (once it starts back up again) Or, if you feel the need to build Star Wars stuff, there's Stars of Nar Eurbrickia. 

I'm not the best builder myself, but I pride myself on the fact that everything I build is original. I do draw influences from the media, particularly Star Wars, but I want everything I make to be my own. And it's hard sometimes, a LOT of what I do comes out looking like a box.

So, my advice would be to make something you call your own, even if it doesn't look the best. And maybe join a Eurobricks game, Corrington and Kawashita could use your help! :classic:

Well, their aren't a lot of First Order Star destroyers out there... and with the new set coming out for the Last Jedi, i would like to see another one.

@Aggron44 - I've merged your thread into the general Q&A one to keep the forum tidy.  Please feel free to create a new one when you've built it :classic:

Cracked open the Vader Transformation set and put it together.  Noticed an interesting quirk with the identical Anakin heads that came with the set.  I had to check the parts list in the back of the manual just to make sure they were supposed to be identical.  One of the heads is slightly paler, almost cloudy or opaque in color to the other.  Think like the glow in the dark pieces.  I even took it into a dark room to see if it did glow, but it didn't.  The printing is even slightly lighter than the other head.  The other head is the regular tan color with crisp printing.  I actually don't mind the unintentional variation, I put the "paler" head on Darth Vader and the "tan" head on Burnt Anakin.  I tried to take a picture, but it wasn't obvious in the shot.  You have to see it in person.  I'll keep trying to get a comparison picture to share with you guys.  Has anybody else encountered this?

The differently toned heads were mentioned at least in one video review, maybe Jang or Brickshow. It'll be interesting once I get my copy to see if it's done deliberately, even if no official attention is called to it.

Has it ever been officially stated why Lego decided to make their stormtroopers (and TIE pilot) different for Rebels sets? It's not a huge issue for me; my son's only just turned 7 and we've only been collecting for the last couple of years, so most of his stormtroopers are the Rebels ones (thanks to a fair few purchases of the cheesy little troop transport for army building - oh how I wish that was a proper to scale set as has been featured on MOC and Ideas pages numerous times). However now that the high-quality modern movie-styled stormtrooper is becoming more common (he seemed to be part of only the big sets for a while, like the 2014 Star Destroyer) it's starting to be a bit more annoying (to dad here anyway haha).

It just doesn't make any sense to me for the following reasons:

1 - surely it costs more money to come up with a new print job when they already had the latest and most accurate stormtroopers already in production and on template.

2 - There's nothing in the show to suggest that these are not just normal stormtroopers who merely look slightly stylised due to artistic licence, so it's not like they're an earlier rendition like Phase 1 and Phase 2 Clones.

3 - If they wanted to differentiate style as they did with the faces on The Clone Wars Lego, this makes even less sense because as a show Rebels is far more cartoony than The Clone Wars, yet Rebels Lego uses the same human/unmasked faces and uniform quality that the movie sets do (such as Tarkin, imperial officers, The Inquisitor etc.) - so why would they have humans and officers as equally 'realistic' (in Lego terms) for both Rebels and movie-based sets, yet have just Stormtroopers that look different?

4 - And sure, the prequels troopers have had some print changes over time, but there's nothing to suggest that that's not solely based on real-world quality-evolution, just like the original trilogy; once the helmet printing was all brought up to modern higher quality standards (around 2012 I believe?) all prequel sets and The Clone Wars sets have again shared the exact same paint job styles on their respective troopers, irrespective of the fact that ones represented a CGI cartoon and the other actual human beings (who admittedly didn't act like actual human beings, but I digress :pir_laugh2: ).

5 - Even more bizarrely, The flippin' Freemaker Adventures sets use the movie stormtrooper figures (along with the same Dengar), and that's a self-aware comedy Lego cartoon. If any theme was to be less movie-accurate than the rest, surely this would be the theme?

5 - Just to be geeky, all of Star Wars media is now canon and meant to be connected and just as valid as one another, meaning Rebels exists in the movies backstory, even explicitly so in Rogue One, so why would any theme even want to be subject to stylised representation in its merchandise when nowadays it's officially meant to be all as valid as one another?

Yours confusedly,

Daddy Stardust

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

While I do think it's a shame they used the Rebel Stormtrooper design instead of the more realistic ones, I do understand why they used them. The stomtroopers in Rebels have a different look, much like the clones in The Clone Wars. This is probaly due to the artistic style, since the Rebels TV show isn't about looking realistic, but more about the animation style they've choosen. Lego probaly doesn't use the cartoony Clone Wars style head prints anymore because I think they realized they were very weird looking next to the normal figures (and gave many kids nightmares). So yeah, to me they are in-universe the same, even though the figures don't look the same. 

I almost feel like I don't want to buy battlepacks with normal stormtroopers in them just because all of my stormtroopers are from rebels battle packs (due to the sheer quantity of figures).  The mix of varying standard stormtrooper helmets just irks me.  I feel like if I ever bought a few of the recent rogue one battlepacks, I would have to buy rebels helmets from a third party source.

I believe, but do not quote me on this, that all of these design choices are in keeping with the McQuarrie esthetic to the entire series. 

Looking at all of he designs, including Vader, it is clear everything top to bottom is homage to the concept art used in the OT. 

Rebels Stormies do look more like their concept art design in the show than the actual production suits used during filming. 

I for one love them and do not mind mixing and matching them. If anything because I have so many more of the Rebels ones they are the truly disposable troop types in my display. The more movie accurate ones, and my fewest in number, fill more elite roles and their appearance reflects this. 

But I do understand arguments for both sides. Maybe with Battlefront 2 coming out we will once again get devoted Battlepacks that cater to folks that need regular OT based stormies. The current pack is ok but I just don't want to amass death troopers. 

I suspect any Battlefront II sets we get will either be Clone Trooper/Battle Droid battlepacks (neither have featured in a battlepack for a while) or possibly based on the single player campaign.

The classic stormies look the best IMO, but if I want mass ranks of stormies, I don't feel having Rebels' ones in the background messes things up too much. Stormies have already gone through a lot of redesigns over the years so having them all looking identical is a pipedream anyway if you've been collecting for a while.

Edited by TeufelHund

Probably three ... but not very easily, mostly due to fingers. Two easily. 

I'd like to remake mine someday. Not a fan of the system scale representation.

16 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

What's the max number of troops that fit in the U-wing's hold without modification? I wanna get that set.

If you take the trooper housing thingy off and then put troops in, you can fit 6 (Make sure to take there weapons off and place them in that huge upside down cockpit thingy.) With a tiny modification I added space for 2 more. By tiny i mean i removed 6 or 7 pieces.

Anyone notice some of the new sets are now being retired? such as the IMPERIAL TROOPER BATTLE PACK. Did that set just get release in January, less than 6 months and now it is being retired. Anybody have any insight as to their decision making on that. I always thought Battle packs had a year or so to live. 

2 hours ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

Anyone notice some of the new sets are now being retired? such as the IMPERIAL TROOPER BATTLE PACK. Did that set just get release in January, less than 6 months and now it is being retired. Anybody have any insight as to their decision making on that. I always thought Battle packs had a year or so to live. 

The smallest sets tend to have the shortest lifespan. The January wave of battle packs may have sold through more quickly since there were only two of them this year.