Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #85: Visions of an Unblinking Terror

heroicaquest85.jpg

The library at Heroica Hall:

heroicaquest85-library.jpg

"This quest shall be your purgatory, Byblos. Survive it, and you will be deemed worthy..."

"This quest shall be your purgatory, Byblos. Survive it, and you will be deemed worthy..."

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpg

"Im not sure if I want to be worthy. This is getting too much for me to handle..."

"You have come too far to give up now. We are finally starting to understand each other..."

"You have come too far to give up now. We are finally starting to understand each other..."

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpg

"I agree, but you ask so much of me! But I guess you are right. If I make it out of this alive, I am stronger than I ever imagined. I just never imagined I'd be going on a quest again. Oh, I better hurry. The others must be waiting for me, and I haven't even decided what to bring with me!"

The first thing Byblos the Librarian grabbed was the black book, without even thinking about it. Then he started to look around for other things that might be useful. Half an hour later he arrived at the main hall pushing a wheelbarrow full of books and other essential things.

heroicaquest85-hall.jpg

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpg

"I apologize for my tardiness! I just couldn't decide what to bring with me... Shall we be off, then?"

The four other heroes waiting for the librarian to join them exchanged worried glances. They all thought if it was wise to bring the frail scholar along for the quest. But on the other hand, the Oracle had personally chosen him, so she must have had her reasons.

Party:

9695105479_fbd0eeca72_t.jpg Atramor Gibbin (CallMePie)

31 year old male human Regulator

Level 30 *Immune to Fire, Water, Lightning, Wood, Light, Darkness, and Doomed* *Negative Effects Last One Round* *Battle Style: Orderly* *Aura*

Power: 50 (30+20)

Defense: 25 (4+6+3+12)

Health: 120/120 60/60 (7+29+12+6+6)

Gold: 55

Equipment: Pheles Rod (WP: 20, user generates an Aura, doubling the user's maximum health but drawing all attacks to them, fire, ice, lightning, earth, wind, light, darkness elemental staff), Robust Shield (SP: 12, shield), Amulet of the Court (Suitable for anyone, negative effects last only one round on the wearer, immune to water, lightning, and wood, accessory), Rat's Hide (Suitable for anyone, SP: 4, backwear), Galactic Armor (Suitable for anyone, SP: 6, +6 max health, immune to fire, light, darkness, and doomed, bodywear), Tricorne (Suitable for everyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: General's Dagger (WP: 7, pierces SP, cannot be upgraded, dagger), Tiger Claws (WP: 15, double WP against humanoids, darkness elemental, dual strike, daggers), Sylvania's Cowl (Suitable for anyone, grants Animal Talk, headwear), Pickaxe, Shovel, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), 2 Elixirs, Ether Core, 3 Health Cores, 2 Mulled Wines, 2 Phoenix Essences, Potion, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Soma

gallery_11254_206_17653.png Bartholomew Docken, The Dragonslayer (Brickdoctor)

32-year-old male human Warden

Level 32 1/4 *Gains Triple XP* *Takes Halved Damage from Free Hits* *Scary* *Counterstriking* *Immune to Defense Reduction, Removal of Positive Effects, Confusion, Blindness, Badly Poisoned, and Fragile*

Power: 42 (32+10)

Defense: 23 (20+3)

Health: 63/63 (6+31+8+18)

Gold: 1160

Equipment: Darksteel Crossbow (WP: 10; Blinded-effect), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Dread Hat (permanent Scary-effect; immune to Defense Reduction, Removal of Positive Effects, Confusion, Blindness, Badly Poisoned, and Fragile; Headwear), Mail of the Renegade Commander (SP: 3; Damage of all Free Hits is halved; Bodywear), Medal of Glory (Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles; Accessory), Counterstrike Gloves (After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, he counters with strength equal to his Level; Handwear)

Inventory: Pan (WP: 1; +1 Max HP; suitable for all classes), Fishstick (WP: 7; deals double Damage on ships; club)

• Cobweb Cowl (immune to Instant-KO; Backwear)

• Health Cores (3), Grand Potions (5), Remedies (5), Phoenix Incense, Phoenix Essences (2), Bones (7), Smoke Bombs (3), Teleportapple, Adamantite Shard (1/4 Adamantite)

• Bedroll, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)

1337 years old female Fenarian Necromancer ***Party Leader***

Level 33 1/4 *Gains triple XP* *Immune to Sealing*

Power: 58 (33+25)

Defence: 10 (5+3+2)

Health: 47/47 (5+32+5+5)

Ether: 52/52 (5+32+1+1+5+4)

Gold: 1295

Equipment: Crystal Mace (WP:25 (5 multiplied by the amount of gems imbued), fire, ice, wind, water, lightning elemental), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Ether:5. immune to Sealing, bodywear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max. Ether +4, backwear), Medal of Glory (earns triple XP)

Inventory: Empyreal Staff (WP:15), Staff of the Necromancer (WP:12; damages undead; +1 level to raised undead; staff), Gold Dragon Crown (+6 max ether, immunity to lightning and stunned), Seductive Perfume (adds Enamored effect to all attacks), Oriental Crossbow (WP:7, Crossbow), Jade Lamp of Summoning (summons Mediq), Nocturne Flute (WP:6, asleep effect, instrument), Soul Cage (doomed-effect to all combatants), Amethyst, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Confusion, 5x Potions, 4 Grand Potions, Health Core, Tonic, 4 Ether Cores, 2 Remedies, Phoenix Incense, 3 x Phoenix Essence, Demon Repellant (Makes the user impervious to direct attacks from demons during one battle), 7 Meads, 7 Smelling Salts, 6 Nostrum, 5x Venom, 2x Ambrosia, 3x Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, 8 Water Bombs, 3 Dirt Bombs, Ice Bomb, Flash Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Pickaxe, 4x Bone, Bedroll, Lightning Bomb

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg Nyx (played by Pandora)

19 years old female human Battle Mage

Level 28 1/3 *Natural Respite* *Immune to Sealed, Asleep and Fast Asleep*

Power: 43 (14+28+1)

Defense: 3

Health: 39/39 (5+27+5+2)

Ether: 39/39 (5+27+1+5+1)

Gold: 686

Equipment: Zee Standard (WP: 14, ice- and darkness-elemental, necromancers raise enemies with 2 extra levels, staff), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power), Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects)

Inventory: Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero), Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Healing Staff (WP: 5), Dagger of the Blue Assassin (WP: 4, Aims become Hits), Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened), Chef’s Apron (Bodywear, Immunity to fire and poisons), Phoenix Dress (Max. Ether +5, full ether restored upon revival, immunity to fire and lightning, suitable only to female mages, clerics, chi monks, minstrels and necromancers; bodywear), Ruby, Diamond, Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire, Emerald, Garnet, Aquamarine, Opal, Scroll of Sleep, 3 Meads, 2 Nostrums, Smelling Salts, Doomshroom Cap (+1 max Ether when consumed), Oneupshroom Cap (works as a Phoenix Essence when eaten), 4 Deadly Venoms, Phoenix Essence, 3 Cosmic Essences (Revives a knocked out ally with full health and ether and gives them the blessed-effect), Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, 2 Chaotic Bombs (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bomb 'X2' (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP), 2 Bedrolls, 5 Bones

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpgByblos (NPC, controlled by Quarryman)

28 years old male Metasimian Scholar

Level 30 *Well-read* *Fast Learner* *Fragile* *Weakened* *Slowed*

Power: 60 (30+30)

Health: 40/40 (10+29+1)

Ether: 40/40 (10+29+1)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Pandemonicon (WP:30 [equal to user's level], inflicts hexed on demons and doomed on humanoids; retrievable book), Tattered Robe (Max. Health +1, Max. Ether +1; bodywear)

Inventory: "Gone With the Mind" (WP:12, inflicts enamored; retrievable book), "Classical Philosophic Theories" (WP:11, inflicts fast asleep; retrievable book) "100 Venoms for Beginners" (WP:10, inflicts badly poisoned; retrievable book), Banana (restores full health to user)

heroicaquest85-scholarrules.jpg

The fivesome made their way to the gate of the wall that nowadays surrounded the slums known as the Hovels. There they were stopped by two Watchmen.

heroicaquest85-hovelgate.jpg

heroicaquest85-giselle.jpg

"Halt! State your business in the Hovels!"

heroicaquest85-geezard.jpg

"Oh, why bother, Constable Giselle? Aren't we supposed to focus on keeping the filth in? And these people seem more than capable of defending themselves against anything they might face in the Hovels - and lately there place has really quieted down, anyway."

"Didn't you hear about the gathering that Wolfgang has organized for today, Constable Geezard? The word on the street that there's going to be bread involved. And you know how it is with poor people and bread."

"Uh oh, I hope Ulric baked enough for everyone, or else there will be riots all over again."

"Tehehe, I can already see the headline in Eubric Herald, that new newspaper: The Great Bread Riot decimated the entire Hovel district!"

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpg

"Ahem..."

"Oh, yes! So, are you people short of bread, or what?"

The watchmen waited for the heroes' answer.

Atramor cast a sideways, disbelieving look at Byblos pushing around an entire cartload of books, then shook his head and turned to the watchmen.

"Gee, ya' know, that's a good question. We're only armed to the teeth, covered in armor, and luggin' 'round the spoils of a hundred battles. Makes perfect sense for us to go in to the Hovels to get some food, don't it?"

"Miss Uq, Master Gibbin, Miss Nyx, Master Byblos: it's good to be questing with you."

I turn to the member of the Town Watch asking about my need for bread.

"That depends, Constable Giselle, on whether or not the bread will provide a stat buff."

"It's Wolfgang bread, mate, it'll probably just poison ya' or somethin'." The regulator glanced back at the watchmen. "Now what's this about a Wolfgang gatherin' and why the hell ain't Patricia havin' anythin' done about it?"

I think you accidentally gave Atramor Nyx's gloves in the picture. :laugh:

Edited by CallMePie

"Now what's this about a Wolfgang gatherin' and why the hell ain't Patricia havin' anythin' done about it?"

"All I heard was that the Wolfgang were offering bread to the people of the Hovels in exchange for lending an ear for them. They're spreading their propaganda again, methinks."

"O ho ho, you mean that 'King Ulric' crap? The thought of Wolfgang leading this city cracks me up every time!"

"Yes, it's all silly business, really, with the Wolfgang preaching their 'holy word' to the poverty, even though they would listen anyone who gave them the time of the day. Our captain isn't interested in what happens at the Hovels. As long as the rubble stays inside this wall, she's happy."

"If you want to go see what the fuss is all about, we won't stop you."

"We won't? Oh well, as long as you don't get any wrong ideas listening to the howling of the wolves. Or did you want something else?"

Atramor glanced sideways at Namyrra. McCafferey, however, perched on the regulator's shoulder, had her eyes fixed on Byblos.

"I think it's worth takin' a look around at things on our way to the Oracle."

OoC: Sandy I upgraded my Standard in the marketplace, and added the Bright Polish to my Robe of the Archmagi.

Nyx pointedly ignores the silly guards and instead looks from one to the next of each of her companions.

"Namyrra, it has been too long since we quested together - it's wonderful to see you again; and Atramor, it really hasn't been long enough. :tongue: " She smiles more kindly at Atramor after her jibe "You look well. Better. You smell better too. Good to be fighting with you again, mate. :wink: Master Docken, I want to say it's good to quest with you again, but you'll give me some nonsensical answer - could you just nod? It'll stop my head from hurting."

She turns to Byblos, head cocked to one side as she examined him fully.

"Mr Byblos, are you quite well? You look... tired. Oh, I see you fight with books too! Look, I have a fighting book, and it's got great pictures, and a spider crawls out sometimes! What crawls out of your books, Byblos?"

"Master Docken, I want to say it's good to quest with you again, but you'll give me some nonsensical answer - could you just nod? It'll stop my head from hurting."

I nod.

"Indeed Nyx, it really has been far too long, way back when we were both inexperienced mages, me even more so than you, and look at us now, ready to take on a horde of demons. It's going to be good questing together again. :classic: "

"So, anyone want to talk more to these poor guards or could we move on? Wouldn't look good to be late for our appointment with the oracle, but then again, if she lives up to her title she knows already whether we'll be there on time or not.. :wink:"

Atramor tilted his hat towards Nyx in greeting, with a grin. "Aye, good to have someone on your side ya' can trust to incinerate enemies as well as you do." He then turned to Namyrra. "I'm ready to head out. But we should all keep an eye out for any of those damn Wolves on the prowl."

Nyx grins at all three of her questmates.

"I'm ready to head out too. The Wolfgang aren't too hard to spot, they all smell of wet dog; and I'm eager to meet the Oracle again, it's been a long time."

Party:

9695105479_fbd0eeca72_t.jpg Atramor Gibbin (CallMePie)

31 year old male human Regulator

Level 30 *Immune to Fire, Water, Lightning, Wood, Light, Darkness, and Doomed* *Negative Effects Last One Round* *Battle Style: Orderly* *Aura*

Power: 50 (30+20)

Defense: 25 (4+6+3+12)

Health: 120/120 60/60 (7+29+12+6+6)

Gold: 55

Equipment: Pheles Rod (WP: 20, user generates an Aura, doubling the user's maximum health but drawing all attacks to them, fire, ice, lightning, earth, wind, light, darkness elemental staff), Robust Shield (SP: 12, shield), Amulet of the Court (Suitable for anyone, negative effects last only one round on the wearer, immune to water, lightning, and wood, accessory), Rat's Hide (Suitable for anyone, SP: 4, backwear), Galactic Armor (Suitable for anyone, SP: 6, +6 max health, immune to fire, light, darkness, and doomed, bodywear), Tricorne (Suitable for everyone, SP: 3, headwear)

Inventory: General's Dagger (WP: 7, pierces SP, cannot be upgraded, dagger), Tiger Claws (WP: 15, double WP against humanoids, darkness elemental, dual strike, daggers), Sylvania's Cowl (Suitable for anyone, grants Animal Talk, headwear), Pickaxe, Shovel, Bomb XX (Deals 30 damage to all enemies and 10 damage to all heroes, all damage ignoring SP/row), 2 Elixirs, Ether Core, 3 Health Cores, 2 Mulled Wines, 2 Phoenix Essences, Potion, Remedy, Smoke Bomb, Soma

gallery_11254_206_17653.png Bartholomew Docken, The Dragonslayer (Brickdoctor)

32-year-old male human Warden

Level 32 1/4 *Gains Triple XP* *Takes Halved Damage from Free Hits* *Scary* *Counterstriking* *Immune to Defense Reduction, Removal of Positive Effects, Confusion, Blindness, Badly Poisoned, and Fragile*

Power: 42 (32+10)

Defense: 23 (20+3)

Health: 63/63 (6+31+8+18)

Gold: 1160

Equipment: Darksteel Crossbow (WP: 10; Blinded-effect), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Dread Hat (permanent Scary-effect; immune to Defense Reduction, Removal of Positive Effects, Confusion, Blindness, Badly Poisoned, and Fragile; Headwear), Mail of the Renegade Commander (SP: 3; Damage of all Free Hits is halved; Bodywear), Medal of Glory (Mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles; Accessory), Counterstrike Gloves (After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit, he counters with strength equal to his Level; Handwear)

Inventory: Pan (WP: 1; +1 Max HP; suitable for all classes), Fishstick (WP: 7; deals double Damage on ships; club)

• Cobweb Cowl (immune to Instant-KO; Backwear)

• Health Cores (3), Grand Potions (5), Remedies (5), Phoenix Incense, Phoenix Essences (2), Bones (7), Smoke Bombs (3), Teleportapple, Adamantite Shard (1/4 Adamantite)

• Bedroll, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)

1337 years old female Fenarian Necromancer ***Party Leader***

Level 33 1/4 *Gains triple XP* *Immune to Sealing*

Power: 58 (33+25)

Defence: 10 (5+3+2)

Health: 47/47 (5+32+5+5)

Ether: 52/52 (5+32+1+1+5+4)

Gold: 1295

Equipment: Crystal Mace (WP:25 (5 multiplied by the amount of gems imbued), fire, ice, wind, water, lightning elemental), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Ether:5. immune to Sealing, bodywear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max. Ether +4, backwear), Medal of Glory (earns triple XP)

Inventory: Empyreal Staff (WP:15), Staff of the Necromancer (WP:12; damages undead; +1 level to raised undead; staff), Gold Dragon Crown (+6 max ether, immunity to lightning and stunned), Seductive Perfume (adds Enamored effect to all attacks), Oriental Crossbow (WP:7, Crossbow), Jade Lamp of Summoning (summons Mediq), Nocturne Flute (WP:6, asleep effect, instrument), Soul Cage (doomed-effect to all combatants), Amethyst, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby, 5x Potions, 4 Grand Potions, Health Core, Tonic, 4 Ether Cores, 2 Remedies, Phoenix Incense, 3 x Phoenix Essence, Demon Repellant (Makes the user impervious to direct attacks from demons during one battle), 7 Meads, 7 Smelling Salts, 6 Nostrum, 5x Venom, 2x Ambrosia, 3x Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, 8 Water Bombs, 3 Dirt Bombs, Ice Bomb, Flash Bomb, Skeleton Decoy, Pickaxe, 4x Bone, Bedroll, Lightning Bomb

5909627714_af21b5c29f_t.jpg Nyx (played by Pandora)

19 years old female human Battle Mage

Level 28 1/3 *Natural Respite* *Immune to Sealed, Asleep and Fast Asleep*

Power: 44 (15+28+1)

Defense: 4

Health: 39/39 (5+27+5+2)

Ether: 39/39 (5+27+1+5+1)

Gold: 536

Equipment: Zee Standard (WP: 15, ice- and darkness-elemental, necromancers raise enemies with 2 extra levels, staff), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:4, Max. Ether +5, protects from sealed-effect), High Heels (+1 Power), Sandman's Parasol (Immune to Asleep and Fast Asleep effects)

Inventory: Book of a Thousand Creatures (WP:14, each roll has a 1/6 chance to summon a creature to aid the hero), Explosive Staff – WP: 12 (Does 1/2 damage to all enemies on a successful hit (normal damage to targeted enemy) and 1/2 WP damage to self on a roll of 4 (disregarding SP/row)), Healing Staff (WP: 5), Dagger of the Blue Assassin (WP: 4, Aims become Hits), Shiny Helmet (+1 max health), Monkey Bar (all minions, pets, summons etc are Hastened), Chef’s Apron (Bodywear, Immunity to fire and poisons), Phoenix Dress (Max. Ether +5, full ether restored upon revival, immunity to fire and lightning, suitable only to female mages, clerics, chi monks, minstrels and necromancers; bodywear), Ruby, Diamond, Amethyst, Topaz, Sapphire, Emerald, Garnet, Aquamarine, Opal, Scroll of Sleep, 3 Meads, 2 Nostrums, Smelling Salts, Doomshroom Cap (+1 max Ether when consumed), Oneupshroom Cap (works as a Phoenix Essence when eaten), 4 Deadly Venoms, Phoenix Essence, 3 Cosmic Essences (Revives a knocked out ally with full health and ether and gives them the blessed-effect), Potion, 3 Tonics, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, Fire Bomb, Smoke Bomb, 2 Chaotic Bombs (Causes 100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Bomb 'X2' (May be combined with a bomb to get it to ignore SP), 2 Bedrolls, 5 Bones

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpgByblos (NPC, controlled by Quarryman)

28 years old male Metasimian Scholar

Level 30 *Well-read* *Fast Learner* *Fragile* *Weakened* *Slowed*

Power: 60 (30+30)

Health: 40/40 (10+29+1)

Ether: 40/40 (10+29+1)

Gold: 0

Equipment: Pandemonicon (WP:30 [equal to user's level], inflicts hexed on demons and doomed on humanoids; retrievable book), Tattered Robe (Max. Health +1, Max. Ether +1; bodywear)

Inventory: "Gone With the Mind" (WP:12, inflicts enamored; retrievable book), "Classical Philosophic Theories" (WP:11, inflicts fast asleep; retrievable book) "100 Venoms for Beginners" (WP:10, inflicts badly poisoned; retrievable book), Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Confusion, Banana (restores full health to user)

"Mr Byblos, are you quite well? You look... tired. Oh, I see you fight with books too! Look, I have a fighting book, and it's got great pictures, and a spider crawls out sometimes! What crawls out of your books, Byblos?"

The librarian's eyes narrow into slits as he eyes Nyx suspiciously.

heroicanpc-byblos2.jpg

"Why such interest in my dusty old tomes? What books I carry is my business alone. It is best we make that clear right from the beginning."

"If you're done loitering around, you can find the Wolfgang's gathering place from Lamppost Square en route to the Oracle's Shrine. If you head through this gate and go straight, you can't miss it."

And sure enough, under the only lamppost in the entire Hovel district, a crowd was forming. The smell of fresh bread lingered in the air, mixing into the other, less-pleasant odors of the area. A sinister figure wearing a top-hat was reading something from a large book to the gathered townfolk. His voice was drawling, monotonous and hoarse.

heroicaquest85-wolfgang1.jpg

heroicanpc-mrgaunt.jpg

"...Aaand aaall faaarmes, aaartisans, eeenterpriiises and guiiilds muuust paaay a yeeearly tiiithe tooo the throoone, consiiisting ooof a teeenth ooof theeeir iiincooome. The colleeecteeed taaaxes wiiill beee uuused fooor cooommon goood tooo beeenefiiit aaall ciiitizeeens ooof Eeeubriiic. The Roooyal Treeeasureeer iiis iiin chaaarge ooof the cooollected tiiithes. Fiiifth laaaw, thiiird seeection. Thieeevery aaand rooobbery aaare fooorbiiidden uuunder the peeenalty ooof incaaarceraaation...."

The people in the crowd were seemingly uncomfortable, shifting and muttering anxiously, their eyes more on the stacks of bread guarded by armored Wolfgang members and werewolves. The long-winded speech just kept going and going.

heroicaquest85-wolfgang2.jpg

What will the heroes do?

Atramor looked around the Hovels, his face unreadable. It was his first time in the poor district of Eubric, but it was far from foreign to him. Every town these days had a corner where they could cram all the trash. Hell, some looked like this in their entirety.

Soon, they reached the lamppost, where he narrowed his eyes at the top-hatted figure perched on a stool and reading aloud. His words were laughable, to say the very least.

"I thought they were feedin' these people bread, not Ulric's crap. I say let Byblos chuck his book at the shriveled little bastard's head and see what happens. I can't even tell if it's a demon or a humanoid," he muttered, scratching his chin. "Looks a bit like Hybros."

Edited by CallMePie

As the party gets closer to the crowd, Namyrra sees a familiar figure talking to a tall elven lady.

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"But I don't understand this! Are the people really willing to let Wolfgang take over just because they give free bread?!"

heroicanpc-teresa.jpg

"It is not that simple, dear Sküld. The six houses in power have done very little to make things better around these quarters. The Wolfgang, on the other hand, has always been favourable to the denizens of Hovels. If we don't count the riots that took place a year ago, the Hovels have been a much more peaceful place since Ulric took out the rivalling crime gangs. And it is not just bread they've given to the poor. Have you seen the renovation projects that have started around the Hovels in the past year or so? Most of them are being funded by the Wolfgang."

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"But aren't they still robbing people? How can anyone trust them, Teresa?"

heroicanpc-teresa.jpg

"Robbing from the rich and giving to the poor, mostly. And didn't you just hear what that man said? If Ulric is made king, they will enforce punishment over thievery. I'm sure many original members of the Wolfgang object to that, but I hear they have gotten a lot of new members ever since the riots. Not just criminals, but common people off the streets who are tired of the way this city treats people. It's survival of the fittest here. I'm inclined to believe that under Ulric's rule, everyone would have better chances of making a living for themselves, no matter what race or class they were born in."

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Well, I've gotta say everyone has been nicer to my tribe ever since we moved out of the Hovels. We aren't treated like icky bugs anymore. But, ummm... Are you a Wolfgang member now too, Teresa?"

heroicanpc-teresa.jpg

"Ha ha, nothing like that. It's just that my work at the Embassy has really opened my eyes to the discrimination that people of different races have to endure every single day in this city. Just look at this crowd, Sküld. The majority of the people living here are greenskins or other minority races. Freedom comes with a steep price in this city... I have to say I'm not opposed to see that changed."

Suddenly Sküld spots Namyrra, and waves at the party.

heroicaquest85-wolfgang3.jpg

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Miss Namyrra! Over here! It's great to see you again! I still feel awful that you got eaten by that demon because of me..."

"Alright, keep your hair on. Jeez, you're touchy for a librarian." Nyx mutters as she moves away from Byblos towards Atramor.

"Hey Atramor, who exactly is the ruler of Eubric right now?" she whispers out of the corner of her mouth "And that dude doesn't look anything like Hybros, Hybros has never evah smiled that wide. Digging the hat, though. If only these people knew who was really controlling the Wolfgang and that..."

Nyx trails off as a small child runs up to Namyrra and the group.

"Ruler?" blinked Atramor. "Are ya' jokin'? The idiot Houses are the closest thing we have to leaders, and we're the closest thing we have to the law." He paused, and frowned, glancing at the creature still running its stitched mouth. He didn't care for the way that had sounded. "Well, I dunno, have you listened to the way Hybros laughs? Fits this freak's smile."

Atramor scratched his chin even as the kid ran up to Namyrra.

"She got eaten by a demon?" The regulator shook his head. "Nevermind. Kid, don't listen to a word that...possessed toy is sayin'. It might talk like it gives a damn, but ya' can't trust these Wolfgangers with so much as a coin."

"Ruler?" blinked Atramor. "Are ya' jokin'? The idiot Houses are the closest thing we have to leaders, and we're the closest thing we have to the law."

"Uhm, yeah, I thought so, but I miss stuff sometimes. Thanks."

Nyx turns and regards the little girl and elf woman who had appeared, briefly making a "sick" face and sticking her tongue out at the mention of Namyrra being eaten by a demon.

"I wouldn't trust the Wolfgangers either. They have a very powerful witch at the very heart of their organisation, striving and gaining control, and I doubt she has good intentions for Eubric."

"I wouldn't trust the Wolfgangers either. They have a very powerful witch at the very heart of their organisation, striving and gaining control, and I doubt she has good intentions for Eubric."

"Which is why I wonder why we're still standin' 'round here talkin' about it rather than handin' that freak his raggedyass," grumbled the regulator. "We make a scene, we beat the crap outta the furry bastards, we give everyone the bread anyway. Everyone's happy but the Wolfgang."

"I can get with that." Nyx replies simply to Atramor, shrugging. "What do the rest of you think?"

"Well, if what you say Nyx about a powerful witch gaining control of the Wolfgang is true I suppose their plans for the people of the Hovels aren't as benevolent as they'd like the people to believe. They'll probably just use them to achieve their own goals, and then crush them into the ground again afterwards as it always is in the perpetual power cycle. We might as well give them a proper beating."

"Yes, this I heard from Master Thothwick, that the Bog Witch Baba who enslaved Bluto Ziegfried has come to Eubric and is now effectively controlling the Wolfgang. I say we kill them all for the loot and XP!"

Sküld is taken aback by the heroes' aggressive tone, but bravely greets them anyway.

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Umm, hi everyone! My name is Sküld Verdandi, and I'm an altar girl at the Oracle's Shrine. I was supposed to meet you at the gate, but then I ran into this gathering and stayed to listen in. Sorry..."

The elven woman also walks to the party.

heroicanpc-teresa.jpg

"Heroes of Heroica, I presume? I am Teresa, a representative of the Embassy. I'm sorry but I couldn't help but to overhear that you are here to cause a scene with the Wolfgang. I would strongly advice against it, if you ask me. The Hovels have been quite peaceful since the riots. The people around here don't have a high regard towards your organization, I'm afraid. Assaulting the Wolfgang representatives even though they have done nothing wrong would not help you gain anyone's trust, but would only vilify you further. But that 's just my two cents..."

At that moment, the pale orator on the stand closes his book.

heroicanpc-mrgaunt.jpg

"Theeese aaare the laaaws ooof Uuulric Wooolfkiiin wiiill impooose iiif yooou eleeect hiiim the kiiing ooof thiiis ciiity. The pooower iiis iiin yooour haaands, ciiitizens ooof Eubriiic. Uuulric iiis the meeessiah of a neeew eeera, prooomising tooo briiing peaaace aaand juuustice tooo Eeeubric aaat looong laaast. Tooo shooow hiiis cooontinued beeenevoleeence tooowards the pooor and depraaaved, heee oooffers thiiis breaaad tooo yooou."

The Wolfgang attendants then start to direct the crowd.

heroicaquest85-wolfgangattendanta.jpg

"Alright, everyone! Line up here, please!"

heroicaquest85-wolfgangattendantb.jpg

"There's plenty for everyone, so no need to push or cut the line."

Most of the people in the crowd form a haphazard line, while some stay back, observing the situation. Living in the Hovels is bound to make people suspicious of everything, after all.

heroicaquest85-wolfgang4.jpg

The man in the top hat stands on the side with a pair of werewolves. Sküld pulls Namyrra's sleeve.

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Alright, let's go see the Oracle now. I really worry for her..." She then looks at the heroes, who are staring at the group of Wolfgang members. "Unless you're really up for a fight, like you said."

"It's easy to take advantage of this poor. Toss a few coins or breadcrumbs their way and they'd elect a troll the 'king of Eubric'. Wolfgang only attacks people actively tryin' to fix the city, it seems. They've done plenty wrong, they just won't admit it in the face of their 'new leaf', or whatever this is. Believe me when I say they don't show the rest of the city this 'kindness'. Let's at least take on Stitches over there. You look at that thing's face and tell me it wants a better Eubric."