Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

How do the EV3 Large Servo and Medium motors compare to other Technic Power Functions?

I'm pretty impressed with the EV3 motors' control and accuracy, but I've never owned any others. Are there any disadvantages to them? Are they going to be just as good for applications such as crawlers or fast vehicles?

From the Lego EV3 "45502 Large Motor Product Sheet" released in January 2013, we have these specs:

* 160-170 rpm (compared to 220 rpm for the Lego Power Functions XL Motor but similar to the NXT motor's 170 rpm per Philo's Motor Comparison webpage http://philohome.com...s/motorcomp.htm )

* Running torque of approximately 30 ounce-inches (equivalent to 21.2 Newton-centimeters)

* Stall torque of approximately 60 oz.-in. (equivalent to 42.4 N-cm.). Compare this with the PF XL Motor's stalled torque of 40 N-cm. and the NXT motor's stalled torque of 50 N.-cm.

The Lego EV3 "45503 Medium Motor Product Sheet" has these specs:

* 240-250 rpm (slower than the PF Medium Motor's 405 rpm)

* Running torque of approximately 11 oz.-in. (equivalent to 7.8 N-cm.)

* Stalled torque of approximately 17 oz.-in. (equivalent to 12 N-cm). Compare this to the PF M-motor's stalled torque of 11 N-cm.

Edited by matthewclso

I have tested the Netgear WNA1000M, which didn't work.

I haven't tested other Wifi dongles with the AR9271 chipset (besides the WNA1100).

Are any of those dongles listed small dongles?

That one is a bit smaller than the Netgear, but still too big. I really wonder why Lego didn't target for the Micro USB dongle.

There's a software update for the Educational software btw. Version 1.01

Bluetooth Workaround ( Firmware 1.03 ):

- disable "iphone/ipad..." option

- connect

- pair

- enter PIN

- enable "iphone/ipad" option

- connect

....have fun!

Thanks, I will try that tonight!

I updated my EV3 brick to firmware v1.03 almost right away when I connected it for the first time to the Mindstorms software. I've got a new BT 2.1 adapter underway in the mail, just to exclude it from possible causes. Hopefully I can get things working now.

Now I don't have any BT problems anymore. :thumbup: Strange....

I've tested a micro size EDIMAX Wifi dongle with no luck. I had a look at the EV3 Linux Armstrong sources and it should be possible to enable that one for sure....but that would take some time and research to do. :wacko:

Maybe the LEGO EV3 team will provide an update with more compatbibility soon. :sweet: I don't want to have that ugly and big Netgear dongle in my EV3, too. :sick:

Just connected a 10€ ( ebay ) WNA1100 Wifi without problems. :classic:

But it's impossible to enter the SPACE character on EV3 for WPA2 network password so far!

There is a space bar on the display but hitting it doesn't do anything.

Edited by gerkenz

I have changed the title of this topic from "New Mindstorms EV3 Unrevealed" to "Mindstorms (EV3) General Discussion"

I have also created a Mindstorms Index which contains a lot of useful links (I hope). If you miss anything, let me know, so I can update the Index.

Version 3.62 of RobotC has been released. This is most likely the last version, before version 4 which will support the EV3.

RobotC version 3.62

I will dig out my wifi that I was told to buy. I have not tried wifi yet, its on the list to do!

BrickCC, I think you can program the EV3 with that already, I seen news about it just had no time

True, but it is not an official release yet.

I think much like LeJos.

You mean you want to learn Android, so LeJos would be better to learn as well?

I think if you are used to RobotC, LeJos isn't a very big step.

Regarding the USB wifi adapter, I finally managed to dig around with the EV3 source code (from https://github.com/m...ards/ev3sources).

I looked over to the Linux kernel source code and its default configuration (assuming that this has been to one used by LEGO for building the official firmware...), and I could not see where the support for the WNA1100 USB dongle is selected.

The WNA1100 is based on an Atheros AR9271 chip: The Linux kernel supports it over the 'ath9k_htc' module.

However, the default Linux kernel config file enables the common code for Atheros devices (CONFIG_ATH_COMMON is set), but there is no support for AR9271 based devices (CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set).

-> So I am wondering if I should enable it manually, or if the support is done in another way...

I have tested the Netgear WNA1000M, which didn't work.

The WNA1000M is based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS which is handled by the 'rtl8192cu' module.

However, the kernel used by LEGO is a 2.6.33-rc4, and the 'rtl8192cu' module has only been added in 2.6.39+

Edited by MinusZwei

My bluetooth connection worked but I didn't manage to control the everstorm from my phone, so I tried to update the firmware, on the EV3-brick display it says "updating" for 20 min. now, how long does it take to update. I took out the batteries, restarted, tried to update again and that worked, I have a connection between Phone and ev3 but still can't control it, when I select ev3rstorm on the app i get "select device:" and a blank screen, has somebody advice or help for me.

Edited by vliet

I guess you are using Android. Haven't got any experience with that. Have you read some of the previous pages in this topic?

I can't wait to be able to afford these high end technic sets again... My wishlist right now is the EV3 followed by the mobile crane... soon I suppose!

Looking forward to seeing you more often in this topic :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you more often in this topic :wink:

I've actually never done anything with the mindstorms before, It's one of those things I always wanted to try but couldn't stomach spending $300 for a 600 piece set before. But after spending the last couple years with exclusively Technic it seems like the next logical move.

Thank you for the welcome!

It's not cheap but if you are mildly interested in electronics, programming, robotics, etc, you will have loads of fun! And the new motors are way better than the NXT ones. So...do it! :wink:

Off topic: how about uploading a profile pic?

Jim (or Ted) I'm using android on a Samsung Galaxy S3, this Friday I'm going to try again, I've got all day then.

My bluetooth connection worked but I didn't manage to control the everstorm from my phone, so I tried to update the firmware, on the EV3-brick display it says "updating" for 20 min. now, how long does it take to update. I took out the batteries, restarted, tried to update again and that worked, I have a connection between Phone and ev3 but still can't control it, when I select ev3rstorm on the app i get "select device:" and a blank screen, has somebody advice or help for me.

You have to pair with the phone first, and make sure that the EV3's Bluetooth isn't in iPhone/iPad mode.