Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

Hi Jim!

After the release of the building instructions, is there any chance for the ev3 programs to be released as well, or that's not included in LEGO's autorization?

Hi Jim!

After the release of the building instructions, is there any chance for the ev3 programs to be released as well, or that's not included in LEGO's autorization?

Good question. I'm waiting too excited ...

I could also really use them :-)

Hi guys,

We have no explicit permission to share the project files. On the other hand; TLG hasn't said it's prohibited. So basically, I don't know :tongue:

Let me see what I can do.

---------------

I've already got a short and clear answer......not yet! So be patient, or create your own program. This is part of the fun anyway :sweet:

I will let you guys know if the situation changes.

I am New to Mindstorms, but not to Linux

Concerning other WiFi drivers, this is what I found so far

- The kernel modules are already compiled and stored at lms2012/open_first/lmsfs.tar.bz2 (you can find ath9k)

- rtl8192cu (support for netgear wna1100) compiles correctly for the ev3 kernel target from

http://www.orbit-lab....6.39-1.tar.bz2

Next step is copying the compiled modules to lmsfs and test it. I will get back with results.

Edited by lm2012

Hi,

Welcome to EB :sweet:

Please be aware that you need to use proper interpunction and capitalization. Thanks :thumbup:

I read in a separate thread (do not recall which one), that for whatever reasons, TLG put two different firmwares on the EV3 EDU vs. Retail versions. Besides this, the two bricks are virtually identical. There are here 2 questions: 1. Is the EDU firmware available somewhere? and 2. Can one revert to the EDU firmware just in case? I am assuming (speculating) that the Companion Software CD that TLG sells to run the EDU version may/should contain the EDU firmware ... Anyone can confirm / shed more light?

I already switched firmware on my EV3 from edu to retail and back a few times. The main difference (don't know if there is any other) is that Edu firmware contains an on-brick datalog applet. If you have Edu software, it allows to reinstall Edu FW...

Thank you Philo. Since I asked my initial question, my son found some info on how to enable EDU transducers on the Retail version (just some minor configuration file modification). I have not tried it yet. Questions are:1. Is this legit? and 2. Even if the software can handle e.g. the gyro, would this mean the Retail firmware can handle them as well? Or would I need to update/change the firmware as well? The reason I am interested in the EDU version is only to use the gyro and others sensors for sale on the EDU site ... to satisfy my son's curiosity of course.

What is perfectly legit is to download and install the blocks needed to use them! You can find the gyro block here. And since they made the blocks available on retail website, it clearly means that the edu sensors work with home edition... (but I have not explicitely tested)

Edited by Philo

They work!

The Edu firmware is indeed for data logging. Otherwise I haven't found any differences.

Gyus, what can you say about this part?

14149.jpg

They work!

The Edu firmware is indeed for data logging. Otherwise I haven't found any differences.

Thank you Philo and Jim ... I just enabled the various sensors in EV3 (even the NXT ultrasound) and just ordered the gyro sensor ... ready for some more contraptions. Cheers.

Edited by DrJB

Gyus, what can you say about this part?

14149.jpg

Last I checked on the EDU website, it is rather pricey ($20 for 30x i.e., 67 cents a piece). It is meant to increase traction of the tread links (and hopefully reduce noise too) ... though I'm sure you knew all of this already. What 'I' can say about it? ... wish it was a bit cheaper so one can buy few and experiment with .... for now I'm using rubber treads, for both traction and 'quiet'. My 8043 is rather noisy when moving.

Edited by DrJB

Last I checked on the EDU website, it is rather pricey ($20 for 30x i.e., 67 cents a piece). It is meant to increase traction of the tread links (and hopefully reduce noise too) ... though I'm sure you knew all of this already. What 'I' can say about it? ... wish it was a bit cheaper so one can buy few and experiment with .... for now I'm using rubber treads, for both traction and 'quiet'. My 8043 is rather noisy when moving.

Do you have them, are they effectiv?

"for now I'm using rubber treads, for both traction and 'quiet'"

I guess not :wink:

I would like to place an order to try them, but last time I heard they were out of stock. Maybe I will give a TLG a call.

Thank you Philo and Jim ... I just enabled the various sensors in EV3 (even the NXT ultrasound) and just ordered the gyro sensor ... ready for some more contraptions. Cheers.

No problem :thumbup:

No I do not (have them). Just ordered the EV3 extension set, should know in few days. If I recall, TechnicBricks did a review of such part sometime back. Might be worthwhile to pay a visit.

To follow-up on above discussion. Yes, I did 'update' my EV3 installation and now it can handle many sensors. Of interest is that the energy meter bb491 is also one of such extended sensors list. Apparently, and I have not tried that yet, such meter can measure many other electrical 'variables', not just energy. That sure sounds promising. Question is: Has anyone tried using the energy add-ons componnets to Mindstorms? ... Set 9688-1 is marketed as a Mindstorms Add-On, but I have seen very few projects where it is used. Kind of like the capacitor element 9916.

Edited by DrJB

I've already got a short and clear answer......not yet! So be patient, or create your own program. This is part of the fun anyway :sweet:

I will let you guys know if the situation changes.

Jim, any update on this? I just got the Gyro sensor today and my son is already building the GyroBot ... but without the program, I'd have to go back to my 'modern control' class notes ... assuming I can still make sense of all that full-state-feedback jargon. By the way, your contributions to this forum are commendable.

Question is: Has anyone tried using the energy add-ons componnets to Mindstorms? ... Set 9688-1 is marketed as a Mindstorms Add-On, but I have seen very few projects where it is used. Kind of like the capacitor element 9916.

Well... I tried it, but it is of very limited use. You can only measure the energy (and current, and voltage) going in and out the small NiMH (200mAH!!!) battery included, Nice to learn about energy harvesting and such, but you can't use that for general purpose measurement. I'd rather recommend Mindsensors' Current and Voltage meters for that.

Well... I tried it, but it is of very limited use. You can only measure the energy (and current, and voltage) going in and out the small NiMH (200mAH!!!) battery included, Nice to learn about energy harvesting and such, but you can't use that for general purpose measurement. I'd rather recommend Mindsensors' Current and Voltage meters for that.

Thank you Philo, you confirmed my suspiscion that, together with the capacitor, most likely such meter will see very little usage.

Edited by DrJB

Jim, any update on this? I just got the Gyro sensor today and my son is already building the GyroBot ... but without the program, I'd have to go back to my 'modern control' class notes ... assuming I can still make sense of all that full-state-feedback jargon. By the way, your contributions to this forum are commendable.

I am afraid I haven't got permission to distribute the programs, so I can't share them yet.

Thanks for the compliment. I am by no means an expert, but I like to help my fellow Mindstorms and Technic enthusiasts :sweet: