Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

Great news!

I merged the topic.

Hi

I realy need some advice about my ev3 home edition, I noticed in the software there isn't a gyro sensor building block any advice how I can get them? Or do I need to create my own?

Edited by legofanboy1986

Hello everyone, would like to ask a question here.

I want to give my wife Lego mindstorm as a gift since she is into robot & programming very much.

But can't decide it, should I buy #31313 or the edu version #45544?

Cause I have a friend here offer me the same price for 31313 and for 45544.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

Since your wife is not a kid, I recommend the Educational version. It has more value for money (rechargeable battery for instance, and a nice storage bin).

The retail version has a bit more play value and fun factor.

If you buy the home version, do you still have the parts you need to build the educational models?

Hello,

just got here, looking for info about my abandoned but much loved NXT 2.0.

I wanted to point what I believe is a wrong link: on the pinned post "Technic, Model Team and Mindstorms Index", on the TABLE OF CONTENTS, the link to "Mindstorms Index" is

www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86618

whereas I guess it should be

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81075entry1964584

And thanks for such a great forum, I think I'll learn a lot here - and maybe, hopefully, contribute somehow.

Theo

So being my NXT fixed now I want to have fun with it ,but a big enemy stands between me and NXT - the power.

Are there other ways of powering it ? I want to use it in a MOC with both PF and Mindstorms , but 12 AAs cost a lot, considering the fact that I need to test the Moc while doing it :sceptic:

The official battery is not an option, it cost way too much

@Jim : Sorry for bringing back to life this topic

General discussions can be brought back to life anytime, especially Mindstorms :wink:

So being my NXT fixed now I want to have fun with it ,but a big enemy stands between me and NXT - the power.

Are there other ways of powering it ? I want to use it in a MOC with both PF and Mindstorms , but 12 AAs cost a lot, considering the fact that I need to test the Moc while doing it :sceptic:

The official battery is not an option, it cost way too much

@Jim : Sorry for bringing back to life this topic

I use rechargeable AA batteries.

You can hack an 9V DC adapter like staak on Brickshelf:

extpower_supply2.jpg

I use rechargeable AA batteries.

You can hack an 9V DC adapter like staak on Brickshelf:

Thanks! Will try it :classic:

It works , but my adapter has different voltage settings and the NXT is working ok at 7'5 volts right now , at 9v it shuts off

Expect a NXT MOC!

On 9/21/2013 at 8:54 AM, DrJB said:

Anyone on here got the Voice Command to work on the iPad EV3 Commander? Somehow I always get the error: We're sorry, there seems to be a problem recognizing your voice command. Please try again. Or is this another flaky option?

I'm getting the same error message, couldn't find any replies to this... anyone know how to get it to work?

On 25/8/2016 at 11:50 PM, LXF said:

It works , but my adapter has different voltage settings and the NXT is working ok at 7'5 volts right now , at 9v it shuts off

Expect a NXT MOC!

Try to keep the little button inside of the battery compartment pressed in to trick it into thinking there is a stable power supply. You can see the pin on top of the battery pack - it is there to push the button and enable this function, although I recommend running at 7.5V.

NXTBatteryPack1Web.jpg

Edited by Lasse D

Recently, someone posed the question/suggestion to have a separate Mindstorms section on Eurobricks. I (probably) answered that there's not enough Mindstorms content and/or activity to justify a separate section. But now that I am working on my EV3 robot again, I see that lots of forums are not active anymore, and the Facebook group is not ideal to find information. So, I am contemplating on creating a dedicated Mindstorms subforum. It will be much easier to find and share information. But it's useless if only a couple of members are interested. So, my question is simple.....any active Mindstorms builders on EB who would like to have such a subforum?

@Jim I really enjoy Mindstorms creations and discussions, but I haven't built much with Mindstorms in the past couple of years, so I don't know if I can be considered an active builder. The EV3 set was the set that ended my dark ages, and initially I was a frequent visitor to the official Lego Mindstorms message board. I realized fairly quickly that I was much older than a typical poster. A lot of kids/young teenagers get into Mindstorms because of school or because they have parents who want to expose them to programming and robotics. You could tell their age by the content of the messages and their type of reactions.  By opening an active Mindstorms board you may be attracting a crowd that's not quite a match for Eurobricks and its mostly 18+/AFOL policy.

At the same time, I would love to see a replacement for the Lego Mindstorms board, where projects are shared and discussed in depth. I don't know if simply opening a message board will attract the type of content that you are looking for. 

I think having a Mindstorm subforum could be useful. The Mindstorm indexes are out of date.  New Mindstorm threads get buried in the sea of  Technic discussions.  Maybe it could include Boost, WeDo, and any other programmable LEGO electronics.  Recently, I won an EV3 at a silent charity auction and still learning to use it. I should use Mindstorm where possible since my LUG is puristy.  :laugh:   They don't seem all that into using inexpensive Arduino, Esp8266, STM32 microcontrollers for automation and control. I'd be interested in topics to flash custom firmware on the PUP's STM32F04 too.  :classic: 

I agree, especially about including Boost and WeDo - I am new to all three platforms, but am needing to learn about them for a club at school, and would find this helpful.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:32 AM, Jim said:

Recently, someone posed the question/suggestion to have a separate Mindstorms section on Eurobricks. I (probably) answered that there's not enough Mindstorms content and/or activity to justify a separate section. But now that I am working on my EV3 robot again, I see that lots of forums are not active anymore, and the Facebook group is not ideal to find information. So, I am contemplating on creating a dedicated Mindstorms subforum. It will be much easier to find and share information. But it's useless if only a couple of members are interested. So, my question is simple.....any active Mindstorms builders on EB who would like to have such a subforum?

Yes please! I feel that the mindstorms community is too spread out for something that has quite a steep learning curve :)

6 hours ago, dtoerien said:

I agree, especially about including Boost and WeDo - I am new to all three platforms, but am needing to learn about them for a club at school, and would find this helpful.

I second that.

20 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

I would love to see a replacement for the Lego Mindstorms board, where projects are shared and discussed in depth. I don't know if simply opening a message board will attract the type of content that you are looking for. 

This is exactly what is bothering me. There's no active board where you can find answers to simple questions. But this might indeed attract minors to the board.

10 hours ago, MattL600 said:

Yes please! I feel that the mindstorms community is too spread out for something that has quite a steep learning curve :)

This is why I would like to have information in one place and easily obtainable. Facebook sucks when I comes to keeping track of things.