Sign in to follow this  
Kintobor

Heroica RPG- Quest #83: Four's Company

heroicaquest83.jpg

-The following quest is for chosen heroes only. If you wish to play, check out the Rules and FAQ section-

Four heroes left the warm, inviting comforts of the hall and out into the cool autumn air, knowing that their latest endeavor, for some of them their first. Those four heroes are:

33d49a56-cc25-4f65-8d7c-91269463436f_zpseb21ce9b.jpg

Avalanche (Dragonfire)

29 years old male yeti Barbarian

Level 1

Power: 4 (1+3)

Health: 8/8

Gold: 3

Equipment: Earthshaker (WP:3)

Inventory: Potion, Bottle of Mead, Smoke Bomb, Venom

9526423509_a47eccbb56_o.png

Purpearl Berthadhiell (Purpearljellyblob)

180 Years Old Female Elven Mage

Level 1

Health: 5/5 (5)

Ether: 5/5 (5)

Gold: 5

Equipment: Crimson Arcanon (Wand WP:3)

Inventory: Ruby (Fire), Potion, Bedroll

ava-heckz.jpg

Heckz Brutenhal,The Ghostbuster (Eric-Su)

32 year old male Mage.

Level 13 1/2 *Immune to Sealed*

Power: 22 (13+9) (Spellpower: 27 (13+9+5))

Defense: 3

Health: 17/17 (5+12)

Ether: 23/23 (5+12+1+5)

Gold: 39

Equipment: Rawr (WP:9), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5, handwear) Robe Of The Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether + 5, Immune to Sealed

Inventory: Rat Scepter (WP:3, 4x damage to enemies named “rat”; wand), Pitchfork of Abomination (WP:1, pierces all defenses including SP but breaks after one use; suitable to all classes), Opal (Ice), Garnet (Earth), Amethyst (Darkness), Health Core, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Grand Potion x2, Ether Core, Remedy x2, Elixir, Smelling Salts, Mead, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Shovel, Bone x2, Crystal Ball (worth 50 gold/100 gold at magic shops)

9581024822_74460301e3_o.jpg

Arasmyth RuGard (played by Kadabra)

214 Year Old Elven Evoker

Level 15.5

Power: 24 (15+9)

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 82

Equipment: Suume (Bow, WP:8 9, Wind and Lightning Elemental), Robe of the Elven Warlock (SP:3), Ranger's Quiver (WP+1 to bows/crossbows)

Artefacts:

Gemstones: Topaz

Scrolls: Scroll of Sealing

Consumables: Potion, Grand Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Water Bomb

Summon: Sera, Angel of Wrath (Lightning elemental)

The party members trickle to the front gates of the villa, a large sea of red and blue uniforms creating a perimeter as German Shepherds on leashes scrounge about the ground for any hint of a scent. A few masked men accompany them in various colored garb, their weapons looking less standardized than the Watches. The party's ears are blasted by the sound of the Town Watch lieutenant bringing his megaphone to his mouth and hollering at them.

"Heroica! Over here!"

The party makes their way over to the origin of the noise as they finally meet their employer among all the commotion: two official looking men and a dwarf in dark clothing watch the guards scurry to and fro.

hinckwell_manor.jpg

9336893385_2896ed4238_o.jpg

"Ah, it seems your arrival is well timed, gentleman and lady! I'm Lieutenant Paolo of the Town Watch, at your service. You couldn't have arrived at a better time!"

The dwarf tips his hat, giving a small grin.

9864383275_4affd3b7c7_o.jpg

"Falner Drunderm, Coroner, at your service!"

The Hinckwell captain stays quiet, and merely folds his arms, staring the party over. Paolo begins to curl his mustache.

"I've got my hands full with so much paper work after the Baker's Guild incident that I'm positive the Eubric Forest is no more. Since I want this cleared up as quickly as possible, yet professionally, I called you lot in to help in the investigation. I'm more than certain your curious as to why I called you here, so allow me to fill you in.

Earlier today we received word that a group of patrolling guards had found four Hinckwell men dead in the gatehouse leading up to the villa. The men patrolling the grounds smelt a strong burning odor coming from the gatehouse and investigated. The conundrum this mystery falls into is that the door was locked from the inside, and the only way in and out of the gatehouse is through the front door. We're not so much curious as to who the murderer is as to how it happened. If you can solve this conundrum, as promised, I'll bestow upon you two bottles that I'm certain you'll enjoy, one that buffs your experience and another that makes your luck somehow increase.

I'm certain you have some questions, so please, ask away. As well, I'm giving the decision as to who wants to be party leader to you, so you will also need to decide that."

Paolo crosses his arm and looks the party over, the cool breeze nipping all but the yetis cheeks.

Welcome! You have 24 hours to confirm. Feel free to talk to anyone here, and look about the front gates. I'll move you into the gatehouse once you're ready. As a protip, think like detectives. What are key things you need to know in order to fully grasp the situation? Best of luck, and to our newer players, remember to bold your questions and actions.

Good luck!

Edited by Kintobor

Purpearl winks at Lieutenant Paolo as a sign of confirmation and introduces herself to Falner.

"Greetings Coroner Falner, how do you do? I am happy to lend a helping hand :thumbup: "

"It also seems like we need a party leader, so I would like to nominate Arasmyth as party leader "

Purpearl glances at the company at the front gates and notices a few unnamed guards

"Hello! I am Purpearl! How are you?"

Avalanche hurries up to the gates, hoping he isn't late. He sees only Purpearl there before him and gives a small sigh of relief. Turning to Lieutenant Paolo, he dips his head in greeting. "Pleased to meet you. I am Avalanche." He offers his paw to the Lieutenant, remembering the human custom of shaking hands. Hearing Purpearl's comment, he ponders for a moment, then agrees with her. "I agree. Arasmyth should lead us." He looks around, hoping to see something that could give him a clue as to what happened to the poor guards.

OOC: I may not be very active from Monday to Friday (but may be on in the evenings),but I'll be active at weekends. And my stats need editing- could you please add a Venom to my inventory and take away 3 gold? I bought it in the Hall today.

Edited by Dragonfire

Arasmyth RuGard, elven aeromancer extraordinaire, at your service,Arasmyth introduces himself in confirmation of his readiness. I'd be happy to lead, I suppose. Just two questions. What was the method of death, and who were the victims? We're they high ranking soldiers, prominent family members, or just random guards? Thanks much.

Avalanche nodded to Arasmyth. "We're just waiting for Heckz then." He noticed the black-helmeted guard to the right of the lieutenant. "Greetings. I am Avalanche. Could you perhaps tell me whether or not you found out the cause of the burning odour?"

Purpearl winks at Lieutenant Paolo as a sign of confirmation and introduces herself to Falner.

"Greetings Coroner Falner, how do you do? I am happy to lend a helping hand :thumbup: "

"It also seems like we need a party leader, so I would like to nominate Arasmyth as party leader "

Purpearl glances at the company at the front gates and notices a few unnamed guards

"Hello! I am Purpearl! How are you?"

The lieutenant blushes.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance as well, m'dear! I'm doing rather well, however I'm feeling a little nostalgic as of late. Before all this I was a mercenary who warded off bandits on the roads in the Low Kingdoms. Ah, twas the life, myself and my mates, cutting through the bush fighting off who knows what sinister, scarred, scallywag we'd encounter! One time we were surrounded by a swarm of werewolves, each brandished to the teeth in...."

"Now you've got him going about the frontier again. Just let him wind down."

As Purpearl joyfully introduces herself, most of the guards simply nod, with the exception being one of the hooded individuals in a skirt and outfit reminiscent of a jesters outfit leaving with another hooded figure in blue, a rapier wrapped around their waist. The white hooded individual responds in a young, feminine voice.

syndicate_peon_minstrel.jpg

"Purpearl, was it? Yeah, I'm doing good. The name's Olivia. One of the new recruits to the Syndicate. We're uh...."

She turns to the member in blue, who simply shrugs.

"We're a joint organization with the Watch. It seems Paolo hired you guys to help with the investigation, right?"

Avalanche hurries up to the gates, hoping he isn't late. He sees only Purpearl there before him and gives a small sigh of relief. Turning to Lieutenant Paolo, he dips his head in greeting. "Pleased to meet you. I am Avalanche." He offers his paw to the Lieutenant, remembering the human custom of shaking hands. Hearing Purpearl's comment, he ponders for a moment, then agrees with her. "I agree. Arasmyth should lead us." He looks around, hoping to see something that could give him a clue as to what happened to the poor guards.

OOC: I may not be very active from Monday to Friday (but may be on in the evenings),but I'll be active at weekends. And my stats need editing- could you please add a Venom to my inventory and take away 3 gold? I bought it in the Hall today.

The lieutenant responds to Avalanche's gesture, shaking his hand.

"Pleased to meet you as well. Let me guess, rookies? It's usually the new heroes that are the most pleasant, it seems."

Looking about, Avalanche finds no evidence, although one of the German Shepherds takes a liking to him, sniffing him.

OOC: Noted. I'll fix that as soon as possible.

Arasmyth RuGard, elven aeromancer extraordinaire, at your service,Arasmyth introduces himself in confirmation of his readiness. I'd be happy to lead, I suppose. Just two questions. What was the method of death, and who were the victims? We're they high ranking soldiers, prominent family members, or just random guards? Thanks much.

The dwarf seems to cut his droning monologue short at the sound of Arasmyth's question. He takes a long sip of his drink.

"Interesting you should ask. The victims all died from different methods, oddly enough, although there is a link between all of them. Traces of a sleeping agent were found in three of the four men. I'll give you an autopsy report once you head inside that will go into further detail."

"As for who they were, three of them were low ranking guards, while the other was a lieutenant and established swordsman."

9354927832_1cca06a7e9_o.jpg

"A damn fine swordsman... You'll have to excuse me. Captain John Dolen. I'm just wrapping up business here before my crew sets sail."

Avalanche nodded to Arasmyth. "We're just waiting for Heckz then." He noticed the black-helmeted guard to the right of the lieutenant. "Greetings. I am Avalanche. Could you perhaps tell me whether or not you found out the cause of the burning odour?"

The captain looks over the yeti with a look of disapproval.

"Ah, yes... greetings. The men discovered the odour emitting from one of the bodies. One of the men were burnt to death."

Nice to meet you, Captain. I fought under Commodore Largus in the Lion-Elf war, and I've worked with your family before that, too. Sorry to hear that you lost some good men. What was the lieutenant's name, and did he have any enemies or rivals?

After running to the gates, Heckz wipes his sweat off and greets the other heroes "Heckz Brutenhal- " he looks at Purpearl and smiles " -at your service. Arasmyth as the party leader sounds good" But I as the party leader sounds great. Heckz approaches Paolo and asks "Do we have any suspects? And do we have any witnesses?"

Nice to meet you, Captain. I fought under Commodore Largus in the Lion-Elf war, and I've worked with your family before that, too. Sorry to hear that you lost some good men. What was the lieutenant's name, and did he have any enemies or rivals?

"Hmm. Largus? Not the name on everyone's tongue around here. Comstock, Commodore of the Southern fleet is the name to admire these days.

The lieutenant's name was Alan St. Germain. His only rival was one Lydia Corenell, a member of the Lion Knights. She's unfortunately gone missing, so her being a suspect is unlikely."

After running to the gates, Heckz wipes his sweat off and greets the other heroes "Heckz Brutenhal- " he looks at Purpearl and smiles " -at your service. Arasmyth as the party leader sounds good" But I as the party leader sounds great. Heckz approaches Paolo and asks "Do we have any suspects? And do we have any witnesses?"

"We have one suspect, one of the Hinckwell's kitchen girls, a miss Abigail Libman, who went out to deliver the guards dinner at ten o'clock last night. She didn't return, and she's the only known person to go to the guardhouse at that time yesterday night, as well as the last. She hasn't turned up yet, so we've got the Syndicate prowling the streets looking for her. If they're doing their job, she'll turn up."

Arasmyth smirks at the energetic young mage. He reminded Arasmyth of himself. Largus is a good man, I'm sure Comstock is as well. I'm ready to head out whenever you three are done asking questions.

Edited by Kadabra

Purpearl turns to Lt. Paolo and Captain John, "Do you have any records of the guards' patrol times and did you notice anything that went missing from the gatehouse?" Purpearl smiles at Olivia and her Blue hooded companion, "Yes Lt. Paolo hired us! Do we have Abigail's age and a description of her? Please let us know if you manage to find Abigail! Thank much! Anyway, tell me more about yourselves. It will be awesome if we could chat while we move on inside, we would need all the help and information we can get to help solve this case."

Edited by Purpearljellyblob

Purpearl turns to Lt. Paolo and Captain John, "Do you have any records of the guards' patrol times? And do we have Abigail's age and a description of her?" Purpearl smiles at Olivia and her Blue hooded companion, "Yes Lt. Paolo hired us! Did you see anyone suspicious during your patrols? Please let us know if you manage to find Abigail! Thank much! Anyway, tell me more about yourselves. It will be awesome if we could chat while we move on inside, we would need all the help and information we can get to help solve this case."

"That won't be necessary. The villa was under minimal security las t night, so no one was patrolling the grounds. The Hinckwells's were out last night at a dinner event, so all patrols were taken inside the manor. We've barely touched the scene, so if anything's gone missing, you'll be the one's to find out about it. As to Abigail's description, she's sixteen, medium build, black hair tied back in a pony tail."

"No, nothing yet. Actually, we just got a message to return to headquarters, but I feel that the reason is because we're focusing our search. About ourselves? Well..."

She looks back at the blue garbed member, who shakes their head in disapproval.

"Well, if you're interested, you should drop by the Albatross. I could introduce you to some people. As for coming with you..."

She looks back again at the blue garbed, who once again disapproves.

"I'lll probably see you soon, Purpearl. Being the lackey I usually get the blunt end of the stick."

Edited by Kintobor

-The Party-

33d49a56-cc25-4f65-8d7c-91269463436f_zpseb21ce9b.jpg

Avalanche (Dragonfire)

29 years old male yeti Barbarian

Level 1

Health: 8/8

Gold: 3

Equipment: Earthshaker (WP:3)

Inventory: Potion, Bottle of Mead, Smoke Bomb, Venom

9526423509_a47eccbb56_o.png

Purpearl Berthadhiell (Purpearljellyblob)

180 Years Old Female Elven Mage

Level 1

Health: 5/5 (5)

Ether: 5/5 (5)

Gold: 5

Equipment: Crimson Arcanon (Wand WP:3)

Inventory: Ruby (Fire), Potion, Bedroll

ava-heckz.jpg

Heckz Brutenhal,The Ghostbuster (Eric-Su)

32 year old male Mage.

Level 13 1/2 *Immune to Sealed*

Power: 22 (13+9) (Spellpower: 27 (13+9+5))

Health: 17/17 (5+12)

Ether: 23/23 (5+12+1+5)

Gold: 39

Equipment: Rawr (WP:9), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5, handwear) Robe Of The Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether + 5, Immune to Sealed

Inventory: Rat Scepter (WP:3, 4x damage to enemies named “rat”; wand), Pitchfork of Abomination (WP:1, pierces all defenses including SP but breaks after one use; suitable to all classes), Opal (Ice), Garnet (Earth), Amethyst (Darkness), Health Core, Tonic, Grand Tonic, Grand Potion x2, Ether Core, Remedy x2, Elixir, Smelling Salts, Mead, Phoenix Essence, Bedroll, Shovel, Bone x2, Crystal Ball (worth 50 gold/100 gold at magic shops)

9581024822_74460301e3_o.jpg

Arasmyth RuGard (played by Kadabra) *Party Leader*

214 Year Old Elven Evoker

Level 15.5

Power: 24 (15+9)

Health: 22/22

Ether: 20/20

Gold: 82

Equipment: Suume (Bow, WP:8 9, Wind and Lightning Elemental), Robe of the Elven Warlock (SP:3), Ranger's Quiver (WP+1 to bows/crossbows)

Artefacts:

Gemstones: Topaz

Scrolls: Scroll of Sealing

Consumables: Potion, Grand Tonic, Smoke Bomb, Water Bomb

Summon: Sera, Angel of Wrath (Lightning elemental)

Edited by Kintobor

Avalanche had an idea. "Captain Dolen, is it possible that something like a poison gas was in the gatehouse and the guards choked to death? That would explain the locked door- one of the victims could have accidentally triggered something... Or- could one of the victims actually have been the culprit and accidentally died after killing his peers? Just guessing here."

The lieutenant chuckles in a friendly tone.

"Getting ahead of yourself, aren't you Avalanche? It's an interesting, and plausible theory, but it would be best to examine the evidence first. We'll head inside once everyone's finished asking preliminary questions."

Avalanche smiled back at the lieutenant, liking his friendly manner. He was finished asking questions and ready to go inside.

Just then, he heard Falner Drunderm's comment. He ambled over to the dwarf and asked one final question, "You said traces of a sleeping agent were found in three of the four bodies. Was the unaffected body by any chance the one who was burnt to death, and was it that of the highest-ranked man?"

"Someone's a little excited! Hoho! Reminds me of the time we we're on a mountain pass, I was as excited as I'd ever been, what with the advent of a swarm of hungry dire wolves flooding the mountainside! I drew out my axe and..."

"Now you've got him going. You'll be handed an autopsy report once you head inside the gatehouse. Inside will include age, race, rank, and method of death, as well as any other outstanding features. It's good to know though that we have some individuals who are more than interested in the case."

"Your enthusiasm is most welcome in this time, yeti."

Heckz looked at the furry yeti, regreting that he destroyed his pointy hat so he could cover his head in case of lice. He turned to Lt. Paolo again "Did Abigail join the kitchen staff recently? After that, I have no more questions."

"I have no more questions either," replied Avalanche. He saw Heckz looking at him oddly and realised what he was doing. "For your information, no, I don't have lice. What do you think I am, a feral troll? Just because I look like an animal doesn't mean I am one!"

"I have no more questions either," replied Avalanche. He saw Heckz looking at him oddly and realised what he was doing. "For your information, no, I don't have lice. What do you think I am, a feral troll? Just because I look like an animal doesn't mean I am one!"

How the heck can people tell what I am thinking just by looking at them?. "Ha! I wouldn't think of such a foolish thing! The only thing I could be thinking is...um...why you came to heroica?" And if you are sure you have no lice.

"Why did I come to Heroica? For the same reason as you, probably- seeking adventure and bored of a simple life! And you can comb through every inch of my fur and I challenge you to find a single louse there!" shouted Avalanche angrily.

"Why did I come to Heroica? For the same reason as you, probably- seeking adventure and bored of a simple life! And you can comb through every inch of my fur and I challenge you to find a single louse there!" shouted Avalanche angrily.

Heckz was about to do what the yeti just proposed but he realised it wil just make him angrier. "Yeah, sure, I came to Heroica seeking adventure and bored of a simple life...".

Fuming, Avalanche turned his back on the mage and joined Purpearl and Lieutenant Paolo waiting to enter the gatehouse.

OOC: I just realised that Avalanche is the only hero who cannot cast spells here. Everyone else is a mage/evoker.

Edited by Dragonfire

"If you're ready to head inside, I'll lead the way."

"Am I dismissed, or am I still needed? I have incredibly important matters to attend to."

"Very well then, be on your way."

The captain nods, and with a gesture to the party, he departs, scowling as he heads in the direction of the docks.

"I ought to get going as well. I'll see you around Purpearl!"

As Olivia leaves, the blue garbed peon approaches Purpearl, their palm relaxed on the rapier fastened to their belt. The peon simply looks Purpearl over, nods to themselves, and turns around, catching up with Olivia.

"Those lot give me the willies they do... I'd watch yourself Purpearl, the Syndicate may look friendly, but they've got a dark past."

The party follows Paolo and Falner to the gatehouse, the smell of burning and death already starting to linger in the area. Paolo pushes the door open as the party enters the cramped gatehouse.

inside_the_gatehouse_blood.jpg

What would have been an inviting room had turned into a morgue, as three bloodied bodies lay about the room, each one as gruesome as the last. Paolo, covers his mouth at the sight and smell, and Falner takes a second to look away. The parties begin to churn at the sight. Not even the strongest of men could look upon the incident without flinching.

"Well, here's the scene, lady and gentlemen. If you've ever read a detective novel you'll know what to do. You can begin your investigation here, or move into the back room. If you'll excuse me-"

Paolo rushes for the door, and the party can hear him beginning to hurl outside. Falner sips his drink and pulls out a notebook.

"Here, take this. Any evidence you collect can be stored in this notebook. I've already included the autopsy report."

He hands the notebook to Arasmyth, then takes another sip of his drink. The party prepared themselves for what else may lie in the gatehouse...

Autopsy Reports/ Victims:

alan_st._germain.jpg

Alan St. Germain- A high ranking Hinckwell Lieutenant, age 57, half elf. Death was due to strangulation. Found in the storeroom.

marcus_sassina.jpg

Marcus Sassina- A well known Hinckwell guard, known for his no nonsense attitude, age 45, human. Death was due to single stab wound in the back. Traces of deadly poison and a sleeping agent were found in the victim's body. Found in the front room.

connor_strong.jpg

Conner Strong- A Hinckwell Enforcer, aged 32, human. Death was due to a single bludgeoning blow to the head. Death was instantaneous. Traces of a sleeping agent were found in the victim's body. Brother, Algonni Strong was involved in Wolfgang dealings. Found in the front room.

rick_richards.jpg

Rick Richards- Hinckwell guard rookie, and an apparent favorite of Heinrich, age 21, halfling. Death was due to a single slash to the neck, causing loss of blood. Traces of a sleeping agent were found in the victim's body. Found in the front room.

And so it begins! In order look at something, simply bold anything you'd like to investigate or look at it. If you wish to enter the other room, simply bold your action. If you think you're onto something, share your theory. If you want a professionals opinion, ask either Paolo or Falner, just remember they can only help you so far. There is no penalty for theorizing. Everything in this room is examinable, so examine to your little Lego avatar's hearts content! If the image is too graphic, please let me know. I have a clean, bloodless version as well.

Edited by Kintobor