Rick

10243 Parisian Restaurant

I couldn't resist looking into this myself. I've been able to attach them using two snot pieces

that are called "plate 2x2x2/3 w. 2. hor. knob" in LDD. In the picture below, the yellow plate should of

course be white, but this shows it better.

ParisienRestaurantwindow.png

I've been trying to figure that one out myself, it's certainly some cunning piece of SNOT work! No matter how I arrange things I just can't quite make it fit. Those side bits have surely got to be connected somewhere, because there doesn't appear to be any way they could simply be held in place.

Tricksy Mr Berard, very tricksy. :classic:

Great work on the rest of it though.

I couldn't resist looking into this myself. I've been able to attach them using two snot pieces

that are called "plate 2x2x2/3 w. 2. hor. knob" in LDD. In the picture below, the yellow plate should of

I tried it for myself as well and I think you're right. Here's my LDD screenshot.

10220955476_b469964cac_o.png

Parisian Restaurant first floor window by .Rick., on Flickr

Ah, yes, that looks like it'd do it. I too had been stuck trying to use the headlight brick and got stuck with the lip. That part suddenly looks a lot more interesting than when I first saw it, it's clearly been designed exactly for that kind of purpose.

Oh, well done, ronenson! That looks to be the solution.

Besides, that is a really interesting part. Definitely one to take aboard for future mocs,.

Anyone know what "Chez Albert" refers to?

Awesome looking set!

"Chez Albert" literally means "at Albert" in French. It is a very common way to name a restaurant. If your name is John and you would open a restaurant in Paris you could name it "Chez John" (or more likely: translate your name in French also and it would be called "Chez Jean" :classic: )

The English equivalent would be "At Albert", "Albert's" or "Albert's place". Albert is a also a very common name in France, but maybe the Lego designers are making a tribute to a famous Lego employee, who knows ...

Edited by Legoverzamelen

Hello all,

First of all thank you very much for the quality of this forum !

My name in Ben, I am French (nobody's perfect !) and Albert is not so common in France.

2013-10-13_11h35_42.jpg

This first name was very popular from 1900 to 1930.

Nowadays, every year, only 58 children are named Albert and its ranking is 994th.

Kind regards,

Ben

Edited by Benj87_fr

Hello Ben and welcome Le' Eurobricks :thumbup:

Albert is actually getting more popular in Denmark, allmost 200 boys (I presume) was named Albert in 2013. It's rank is the same as in France though

Man, are we bored waiting for that darn Modular or what? :grin:

ParisienRestaurantwindow.png

Very nice work ronenson! and thanks everyone else for your help. I've updated the files to correct this.

Edited by Johnnhiszippy3

This first name was very popular from 1900 to 1930.

If it was the name of who founded the restaurant, and that it is a relatively old restaurant, that still makes sense ;)

If it was the name of who founded the restaurant, and that it is a relatively old restaurant, that still makes sense ;)

The Modular Building range to me seems to be set in the 1950s/1960s (with the exception of the computer in the Town Hall), so it's quite possible it's owned by someone born in the early years of the 20th century.

Ok, a lovely set i must say, really wonderful to look at and a great joy to build but...

forgive me for bringing this up, but this set really makes me think whether Jamie created this by himself,

or with (a lot of) inspiration from the AFOL community. When i look at those gray feathers close to the roof,

it looks very similar to the ones in my police station Moc a few years ago (check Muntstraat Police HQ if you like)

It feels a bit like he used my idea, which should be some sort of compiment i suppose?...

Hi Jasper,

I'm really happy to hear that you like the Parisian Restaurant. It means a lot to me coming from you because I respect your work.

I just wanted to clarify one of your remarks about me using your idea for the feathers because I’m sensing your disappointment and frustration.

The feathering technique used in the Parisian Restaurant actually was developed back in 2007 when I was working on the Green Grocer. I hold onto many things that were originally intended for other projects but didn’t quite work out. They are my misfit creations. They make me happy, so I hold on to them sometimes for years with the hope of using them some day when the timing is right. The tricky part is making sure they aren’t discovered by you guys first before the sets get out!

That seems to have happened here and highlights just how cool it is to have so many thousands of builders around the world trying to build similar details at the same scale with a limited palette of bricks. Coincidences are inevitable and exciting because they validate good ideas and the builders that discover them.

My naïve side hopes the 30+ models that I’ve worked on show the level of integrity I work hard to maintain. Please rest assured that the last thing I would ever want to do is to take someone else’s clever idea and claim it as my own. Half the fun of my job is surprising you guys :classic:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5965446

I wish you many years of building fun!

jamie

Hi Jasper,

I'm really happy to hear that you like the Parisian Restaurant. It means a lot to me coming from you because I respect your work.

I just wanted to clarify one of your remarks about me using your idea for the feathers because I’m sensing your disappointment and frustration.

The feathering technique used in the Parisian Restaurant actually was developed back in 2007 when I was working on the Green Grocer. I hold onto many things that were originally intended for other projects but didn’t quite work out. They are my misfit creations. They make me happy, so I hold on to them sometimes for years with the hope of using them some day when the timing is right. The tricky part is making sure they aren’t discovered by you guys first before the sets get out!

That seems to have happened here and highlights just how cool it is to have so many thousands of builders around the world trying to build similar details at the same scale with a limited palette of bricks. Coincidences are inevitable and exciting because they validate good ideas and the builders that discover them.

My naïve side hopes the 30+ models that I’ve worked on show the level of integrity I work hard to maintain. Please rest assured that the last thing I would ever want to do is to take someone else’s clever idea and claim it as my own. Half the fun of my job is surprising you guys :classic:

http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=5965446

I wish you many years of building fun!

jamie

This is customer service! Lego never ceases to amaze me! :)

Thanks for joining in, Jamie! And thanks for all the great sets to you (and your colleagues!)

/Bregir out

Coincidences are inevitable and exciting because they validate good ideas and the builders that discover them.

Dear JJ.

As PMed the other day, you definitely have the skills to be an expert creator designer :wink:

Dear Jamie, I believe that taking the time to respond and elaborate about your creation process to help JJ feel better about his concern also delivers a positive message to the AFOL community.

Thanks for taking care!

Edited by SwissBrick

Coincidences are inevitable and exciting because they validate good ideas and the builders that discover them.

With tens of thousands of MOCs created annually, I believe more and more coincidences may (and will) occur in MOCs and sets. I do not believe most people just blatantly copy another's work to use as their own, many people will view more and more MOCs and sets and it is inevitable that good ideas will be remembered (consciously and subconsciously) and used as solutions and modified in many MOCs (and maybe sets) wheither we are conscinous of the copying or not. In the psychology field this "copying" is referred as "Standing on the shoulders of giants". I hope the LEGO designers continue to look at MOCs and maybe get ideas from the best of them.

I would like to add my thanks to Jamie and all the LEGO designers who give us such great sets. I look forward to each new surprise, keep surprising me!

The Prarisian Restaurant is the latest example of a surprise and delight to me. I am looking forward to building it!

And finding that darn seagull! ;) ;)

Andy D

I find it interesting how there are some similarities to this and the new restaurant, yet how different they are. This looks really different to the final GG product. I've been bricklinking GG and I may have to make it a double wide website like that . That looks really neat. Although I think the feathers work a lot better in the new restaurant.

Thanks for sharing your input. It's neat to see the design process.

I met Jamie for the first time recently at BrickCon in Seattle. He is a very genuine person and was quite open about the design process he went through. He even shared with me a little behind-the-scenes story about his "burned soup" quote from a couple of years back.

What impresses me about him and his post is how he sincerely cares and thinks about this community.

I agree with Jamie that he has a pretty impressive track record of creative techniques and originality.

I also remember when I first saw Jasper's police station a couple years back. I saw it early on in my return to LEGO, and it was one of the first MOCs where I was at a lack for words to describe how impressed and jealous I was of the technique and skill (and also the fact that there are so many people with enough bricks to build bigger) MOCs).

Both Jamie and Jasper are great builders.

And a special thanks to Jamie for taking the time to explain his process and even give us a peak behind the curtain.

Thanks for commenting Jamie. :sweet: It's fascinating to see WIP versions of sets, so thanks for sharing that picture of what ended up as the Green Grocer. If there are any have more to share, please do. :grin: I understand you don't want to give away secrets though. After all, this version was only now safe to share.

Jamie, you should release more Wip of your works... It is very inspirating this altered version of the GG...