Rick

10243 Parisian Restaurant

Also includes a rat, seagull and 2 clams

Sure, found the rat and the two clams....but where is the seagull they're mentioning in the set description?

I looked at the pics several times but can't find it.

Can anyone help a blind guy to find it ?

Edited by Routemaster

Sure, found the rat and the two clams....but where is the seagull they're mentioning in the set description?

Here you go!

10086624233_e603808a2d_c.jpg

I tried to scan the parts list in the photo but it's too small for me to make out.

Here you go!

10086624233_e603808a2d_c.jpg

If that is the seagul, where is the turkey?

I also could not find the hotdogs, maybe they got eatten by the seagul, who flew away!

Andy D

Wow! That's almost a direct ripoff. The similarities are so numerous that I really can't see how it wasn't copied almost brick for brick. Was there any discussion about this somewhere? I'd be interested to see it.

When the first images of the set became available a long discussion about the issue started in THIS THREAD (on page 6). It went on for several pages and even included a letter by Adam Grabowski, the designer of the set. It's the amount of small details which are similar between the two builings which makes me doubt that he has never seen the other building before.

But anyway, back on topic.

If that is the seagul, where is the turkey?

I also could not find the hotdogs, maybe they got eatten by the seagul, who flew away!

Andy D

This is what happened:

1) Seagull eats hotdogs

2) Angry chef kills seagull

3) Chef tells the guests today's special is "turkey" ('cause honestly, would you eat seagull?)

:laugh:

Edited by Brick & Mortimer

Jamie has invaded my mind and stolen my chimney design from an unreleased MOC. I suspect TLG are dabbling in the dark arts

I just realized that in the kitchen the knives and the rollin pin should be hanging downwards and not upwards.

This is what happened:

1) Seagull eats hotdogs

2) Angry chef kills seagull

3) Chef tells the guests today's special is "turkey" ('cause honestly, would you eat seagull?)

:laugh:

Is it a tip for solving Secret of Monkey island? :grin:

I just realized that in the kitchen the knives and the rollin pin should be hanging downwards and not upwards.

Lego is trying to live dangerously ! :laugh:

Plus that is one big seagull ! :laugh:

Wow, based on the designer's video alone I think this may have just become my new favorite of the series. I've got a birthday coming up in January, I think I know what I'll be putting on the top of my wish list the next time my wife asks what I'd like.

After seeing GRogall's line up picture, I never noticed how small this is compared to the rest. Yes, it has more pieces with the details, but it is considerably smaller than the rest. I realize skylines have different heights, but that is almost too jarring since the rest have been relatively close. It doesn't help add to how close it is to the town hall in that picture.

Also, the main level is almost entirely tiled. That adds up a lot of pieces right there. I don't particularly like the dark red carpet on the sidewalk that turns into red-brown the moment you walk in the door. I like the dark red carpet, just not the transition.

I was looking at snoted walls for a while, and I think the technique can be recognised from one of the pictures. From the front, there's a tile and bricks, than a white rail on the side of the window. On the inside, it looks as a bench in front of the window. I think that's where the conection to the wall is. It's blocked by the red table, but it looks like some headlights attached to plates on the floor. That's how I see it. But it is very interesting, and I spent some time thinking about it with a collegue, and that's what we came up with.

Yes, it must be like this!

The positioning next to the Town Hall does make it look small. It would fit in better in between or next to the Pet Shop.

After seeing GRogall's line up picture, I never noticed how small this is compared to the rest. Yes, it has more pieces with the details, but it is considerably smaller than the rest. I realize skylines have different heights, but that is almost too jarring since the rest have been relatively close. It doesn't help add to how close it is to the town hall in that picture.

Also, the main level is almost entirely tiled. That adds up a lot of pieces right there. I don't particularly like the dark red carpet on the sidewalk that turns into red-brown the moment you walk in the door. I like the dark red carpet, just not the transition.

Nice to see some well thought out, objectivity. Thanks. Not saying I don't like the parisian cafe, but it's not at the top of my list. Thrilled to have a new building, but the Starbucks/Barnes and Noble MOC is much more appealing.

I actually like that it mixes up the heights a bit. Certainly it means you need to be a little more careful about what's sitting next to it, but I think varying the scale a bit gives modular city a more organic feel, just like buying an extra Grand Emporium to make it a five story building rather than just three.

I suspect that the part count is misleading in that it seems like there are lots of small bits (tiles, feathers, flowers, etc.) as opposed to structural brick and it probably comes off feeling like a much smaller build than most of the line. Scale-wise it likely comes off as puny compared to the fire house or town hall. Overall, though I'm quite happy with the outcome.

Now that I'll grant you. It is an awkward/abrupt transition that could have been better done, but what set isn't without a nit worth picking here or there? Still, that is the sort of thing that, if it bothers me once I have the set in front or me, I'll just tweak to my tastes.

Two functions: in the regular model, it's a balconet. But suppose you want to add an additional story by duplicating the second floor. You remove the balconet from the new third floor and re-attach it at the base of the staircase between the third and fourth floors, so that it isn't a suicide magnet.

For those who are interested in adding another level i made up this quick picture :classic:

post-42073-0-39340700-1381253575_thumb.jpg

I definitely like it with another level added. It draws your attention to the middle level(s) better as it was lost before between the busy ground floor and attic. Almost balances out the building better? I've never bought two of a modular (too expensive!), but might have to this time between the olive green and great parts...

For those who are interested in adding another level i made up this quick picture :classic:

It looks good with that extra level. Now could you photoshop a freakin' seagull in it somewhere as well?

Ok I have arranged the modular row a little!

Thanks for doing that.

Your sig-pic now clearly shows that the restaurant's roof isn't significantly lower than the roofs of the two pet shop buildings. What's that, maybe a brick and a half, approximately? Nothing to get agitated about, in my opinion.

It of course is the lowest building so far, but the height difference is not as big as some make it out to be, or as the direct comparison next to the monstrous proportions of Town Hall made it seem.

I'm so looking forward to this set, it will be a real joy to build!

Edited by Roger_Smith

It's great to see how this new offering is bringing out the creativity and MOC abilities in so many AFOLs. I think I'd also like to add a floor and make it a taller building. Plus, remove that white fungus looking trim that's obscuring a beautiful blue roof on the top level.