Rick

10243 Parisian Restaurant

Lovely!

I'll be getting the Palace Cinema first (I'm a little behind on these), then it's on to this one.

I think there should of been one more minifigure. A lady walking a poodle :head_back: :head_back: :head_back:

Or a guy stood outside the restaurant busking with an accordion?

Or a guy stood outside the restaurant busking with an accordion?

Or a guy with a wooden trolly selling onions and cheese to the chef.

I was looking at snoted walls for a while, and I think the technique can be recognised from one of the pictures. From the front, there's a tile and bricks, than a white rail on the side of the window. On the inside, it looks as a bench in front of the window. I think that's where the conection to the wall is. It's blocked by the red table, but it looks like some headlights attached to plates on the floor. That's how I see it. But it is very interesting, and I spent some time thinking about it with a collegue, and that's what we came up with.

Anyway, i'm wondering how Jamie attached the snot walls on the first floor. I like this tecnique and have developed one on my own for my "italian-style" buildings (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1344), but this time i can't figure out how he made it.

Any ideas?

10086625363_c0b3e053e8_c.jpg

There are somemnay clever part usage:

The black technic ski-stick at th entrance.

The blade part in green as a plant. By the wy, that leaky 2x2 brick at the edge - as a pot - is new?

The robot arms(?) in white at the top of the columns.

The way the lamppost are made at the terrace. This part is my faourite!

The black fence above the ground floor terrace.

The SNOT curtain.

The grey feathers below the roof.

Fantastic!

This looks great! The colors are beautiful and all the little details :wub_drool: Hopefully it's out earlier than January.

this is a sure mod for me, i'll get a second set, to double the 2nd floor and make the building 4 story tall.

i'll then make the second floor a bar with a live band.

3rd and 4th floors will be a loft type apartment

I suppose the only wrinkle with a four story version is that the only way to get to the fourth floor is to go in one 3rd floor door and out the other 3rd floor door to access the up-going stairs. Not an issue if the fourth floor is used by the same tenant as the 3rd floor.

Actually, see how there are two doors on the second floor, one of which only leads to an almost-not-even-there balcony? Just remove that tiny balcony and the door behind it will line up with the top of the stairs. Brilliant!

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm planning to upgrade my order to 4 to create a 4-story duplex.

Still keeping track...

2007 - CC - business/corner

2008 - GG - business/residential

2009 - FB - govt

2010 - GE - business/corner

2011 - PS - business/residential

2012 - TH - govt

2013 - PC - business/corner

2014 - PR - business/residential

2015 - :grin: hmmm

I'd love to see a hospital as the next modular set, assuming the pattern holds.

Other than the smaller stature, I really like this modular. Even though there's a piece count increase, the building is smaller. I didn't mind the price increase with TH because it was a larger building, but it doesn't seem equal here.

On to the building itself... I do like the olive green color as it's different but still muted enough to fit with the other modulars. Won't be putting it next to GG, though! I like all of the details inside... Murphy bed, restaurant, new tiles, attic studio, vine cover over the outdoor seating, new plants. I don't have PC or TH yet, but I might get PR as soon as I can.

Now, I have to watch the video because I somehow haven't done that yet!

I'd love to see a hospital as the next modular set, assuming the pattern holds.

Me too! That or a modular police station, although I'd rather have the hospital. We've been needing a good hospital for awhile.

Beautifull! Maybe the best one yet... The build and color sheme are excellent.

Can't wait untill January. I might even pick up an extra one for the parts.

I already commented on the Brothers Brick but I'm curious on your thoughts:

"I noticed how similar this building is to my “French Cafe” that was featured on here in the past. The restaurant/ bakery on the bottom floor, a bedroom in the middle floor, and a studio on the top, with a fold down roof. Also little details like the dumpster and rat in the back. I don’t mind it at all, but it’s interesting on how their models sometimes appear to be inspired by those in the community."

Edited by CarsonBrick

What a great modular! I can't wait to build it! :wub:

"I noticed how similar this building is to my “French Cafe” that was featured on here in the past. The restaurant/ bakery on the bottom floor, a bedroom in the middle floor, and a studio on the top, with a fold down roof. Also little details like the dumpster and rat in the back. I don’t mind it at all, but it’s interesting on how their models sometimes appear to be inspired by those in the community."

Do you mean http://www.eurobrick...opic=72535&st=0? That's a very nice building, but honestly i don't see any significant resemblance to the Parisian Restaurant. :look:

My neighbours have a kitchen, bedroom, a hobby room and garbage bin as well, but that doesn't mean that they have copied (or are inspired by) me. :laugh: It's quite common to have them, as is the case of a garbage bin for a restaurant etc. But who knows... Jamie could just as well be inspired by your building (in a global way). :wink:

7674611098_454c22f875_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...s/58252782@N06/

Stylistically, they seem quite different. Certain combination of ideas do match: french something (cafe vs restaurant), apartment on 2nd, hinged top floor, and dumpster+rat, but some of those ideas seem rather general and some have even been used in previous official Modulars. The reasoning behind the hinged top seems different between the two builds. At least in your build, we can find the damn seagull.

Edited by badbob001

Not really seeing much similarity there. A bistro/café is very French/European in nature. Most would have an apartment above, most would have a dumpster or bins out back.

Seriously, that IS a lovely set. Beautiful. I love that scooter too. Brilliant. I hope we see more of these in future city sets.

Am I being blind, thought? I can't see the reported seagull in any of those pictures.

Happy too see the images of this set. It looks like one of the better modular buildings. I went to Paris this summer, so I can see the resemblance to the restaurants around there in this set. I really like the stairs to the rear patio, even though I don't recall seeing them in Paris. I already have the Pet Shop and Grand Emporium. The Town Hall has been on my list for quite some time, so either this or that one should be my next modular building. I predicted that last years modular building would be a restaurant, which was wrong as it was a cinema. I was pleased to see a topic earlier with the leaked title of this set, but the images were not shown.

I was initially not sure about the new Olive Green colour. I don't have it in my collection yet, but I should loosen-up to it. I may have spotted 2 new molds; The bowl piece used for the flower baskets and lamps. I welcome this new mold (despite being quite picky about new molds), as it has good possibilities. I actually had the idea of hanging flower baskets before, but wasn't sure what would be the right piece. The other piece is those V-shaped things below the roof. They might just be an old mold that I don't have though.

10243 Parisian Restaurant

Ages 16+. 2,469 pieces.

Have an unforgettable evening at the amazing Parisian Restaurant!

US $159.99 - CA $189.99 - DE 149.99 € - UK 132.99 £ - DK 1299.00 DKK

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning January 2014 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone.

Interesting to see the pricing. I am pleased to see that Canada and the US are becoming more even in pricing.

The $10 price raise is inconsistent, but that kind of went for the Town Hall set. Additionally, the fact that it's coming out in January might mean that I'll be able to get it for my birthday if there is an early release in December! :sweet:

Also, loving the new moped and flower-pot pieces. :classic:

Please, Please, Please don't horribly misuse the term "moped". Moped means Motor+Pedals, meaning a bike using a combination of pedals and a weak motor. This bike has no pedals. Please don't screw with a word for such an awesome idea to refer to a plain old motorcycle. Sorry, I just like real mopeds, so I'm a bit oversensitive to the terminology.

Oh, and about the price difference; I think that they are just making Canada and the US more even, as the price is $10 less in Canada.

It is a fantastic looking set, with tons of fantastic little details, and tons of fantastic pieces! :laugh: I love it!

It is a fantastic looking set, with tons of fantastic little details, and tons of fantastic pieces! :laugh: I love it!

Would you say it was... fantastic?

@CarsonBrick:

as a magician (see username) I use the psychiological principal which you're experiencing right now quite often in my shows: finding smilarities if you really want to find them.

There are two reasons which cause this effect:

1. You are personally involved with / attached to your creation thus increasing the chances that you see similarities to other people's work which others might not see - the technical term for that is "self-serving bias".

2. There is a finite number of how you can do certain things. For example, have 10 people draw an image of a house. 9 of them will draw one door, two windows and even some smoke coming out a of chimney.

In your case it's the roof that you can open with a hinge. How many possible (and pracical) ways are there to allow someone to look inside the attic of a LEGO building? One: taking off the roof or two: adding a hinge. It's a 50:50 choice.

To take this even further: I believe if you ask 10 people to think about a clichee residential building in Paris which has a restaurant in the first floor and then ask them to tell you what they believe is in the second floor and who/what you find in the attic, most of them will give you the combination: apartment on the second floor and storage / studio in the attic.

However, I'm also sure that LEGO desingers consciously or subconsciously are influenced by the images of AFOLs that they see on the internet.

To this day I cannot believe that the designer who created the LEGO Haunted House has never seen THIS CREATION of an AFOL before.

Wow. This is the first modular since the original Cafe Corner that made me go: "Whoa that is a new Lego set?!"

It fixes the major complaint I have with the Green Grocer, the scale. The GG was just way to big for it's architectural style compared to the other modular buildings. To a lesser extent the Fire Brigade sufferes this same problem to my eyes. By making the main building only 24 studs wide and shorter the Parisian Restaurant is the first "full sized" modular that will look good next to the CC. GRogall's modular line up picture really illustrates this point. I intentionally did not buy GG in favor of the Town Plan set because of the scale issue. (I would have got both if I could have afforded it.) Some day I will rebuild my FB and build a faux GG in 24 studs wide.

To me the PR is everything most people think the GG is. :wink:

To this day I cannot believe that the designer who created the LEGO Haunted House has never seen THIS CREATION of an AFOL before.

Wow! That's almost a direct ripoff. The similarities are so numerous that I really can't see how it wasn't copied almost brick for brick. Was there any discussion about this somewhere? I'd be interested to see it.