Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Wrong Ninjago thread? :tongue:

They sound exciting!

-Sci

Nah, unless there is a topic for Ninjago books. Is there? :look:

I usually count this thread for discussion on the storyline, though even that tends to leak into the set discussion topic. With these books coming back, I'm sure they'll be following the storyline of the show. :classic:

Edited by just2good

After the episode Pirates Vs Ninjas. Nya never used the Samurai Mech. Is there any reason why she wouldn't use it to help the Ninja on the Dark island? Were the parts used to get the bounty flying again?. Were the parts used to build Kai's mech and Cole's drill machine? Nya is my favorite character in Ninjago and seeing her become a side character and then damsel in distress was really disappointing for me.

This was something that bothered me too. The latter half of the last season as a whole felt rushed for me, but that's a different subject entirely. I imagine the mech and Nya herself got shifted to the sidelines with trying to incorporate a large amount of new characters, plot points, and vehicles in such a short time span.

After all, the show is based on the toys, and it makes sense that a set that wasn't being sold at the time would generally have less focus.

if i recall correctly, Kay stated that Nya used some pieces from samurai mech to build up his new fire mech, when they were in the dark island...

if i recall correctly, Kay stated that Nya used some pieces from samurai mech to build up his new fire mech, when they were in the dark island...

If that's the case they could have made an episode with Garmadon an the Mega Weapon where the Samurai Mech was damaged beyond repair and they used the parts that worked to make Kai's Mech

Yeah, I wonder what happened to it. But I'm also wondering what happened to the Tornado of Creation. I mean, after the Devourer destroyed the Destiny's Bounty, they could have easily recreated it using the Tornado. They could have also fixed the Raider with one, and pretty much well repaired NINJAGO city in no time. And again, in the Last Voyage they could have used it. Heck, they could have used it on the Celestial Clock to destroy it. And on Garmatron. And on the Overlord. And on the Destiny's Bounty, again. And they also could have built more flying vehicles to get off the Dark Island.

But anyway, it makes no sense why Nya didn't bring her Mech with her. Probably due to fuel and space constraints on the Bounty. If it flew, it would use too much fuel by the time they got to the Dark Island. If they stored it on the Bounty, well, where? In The Stone Army and The Day NINJAGO Stood Still there was no room for the Mech. Nya was not at the museum at the time, and she was flying the Bounty in the latter.

The show did kinda suffer in the Stone army season. The ninja never used there NRG forms, No tornado of creation. And Samurai X just disappeared. I guess that's what happens when the writers have to include the toys. The whole Mega Weapon plot was never much use anyways. Just a reason for the ninjas to lose there golden weapons. If I could, I would rewrite the stone army season and have a better way to stop the mega weapon.. A reason for Samurai X's disappearance and Let the ninjas reclaim there golden weapons

My reason they couldn't use there NRG forms is that it took a lot of energy to maintain that form. While in the NRG form they drew energy from there golden weapons. Without them using the NRG form wouldn't last as long and just tire them out afterwards. They would still have some minute form of elemental power. Kai could make small flames, Jay could make small lightning bolts, Cole would have more strength and Zane could make small ice crystals.

Instead of the episode where Garmadon goes back in time. I would have an episode where the ninjas would get the mega weapon and take it back to the place it was made and turn it back into the golden weapons. The Samurai Mech would be destroyed in some fashion.

I think it's big dissapointment that Nya could had got a position in this team but still gets neglected by the plot writers, who are more willing to market Lloyd. In theory, Samurai X can get more forms as the ninja do. It's not really doing with the Samurai Mech.

Cartoon discussion goes into Culture and Multimedia, not in the Action Themes Forum. This is the point I am merging it with the existing discussion.

I think it's big dissapointment that Nya could had got a position in this team but still gets neglected by the plot writers, who are more willing to market Lloyd. In theory, Samurai X can get more forms as the ninja do. It's not really doing with the Samurai Mech.

That's not the business of the writers, it's the business of the set designers. Nya's role in the Stone Army arc was reduced in part because the 2013 set lineup was not very big, leaving less room for a huge cast of characters (only one of the Ninja, Lloyd, even appeared in more than one set) and less budget for new minifigures.

Also, the set designers and show creators may have been concerned that her samurai outfit and mech would make her allegiance unclear to younger viewers, when at that point in the story she should have been very clearly on the side of the Ninja. By having her in her classic outfit in the show and omitting her from the set (bringing her classic outfit back in the sets was probably not a plausible option once it had been out of use for a year), that potential confusion was eliminated. And from the viewer's perspective, it's not hard to imagine she just didn't get an opportunity to retrieve it before she and the Ninja left Ninjago.

Overall, I liked the most recent season. It was good to have some "filler episodes" that could explore wacky scenarios without upsetting the continuity, and I think the Stone Army arc was handled marvelously. The Mega-Weapon was eliminated from the story in a very confusing fashion, and that probably could have been handled a bit better, but the time travel story was still a neat concept to explore, and a good way to finish up that filler arc so that the story could start fresh with the Stone Army.

Anyway, Takanuinuva, I agree with your theory about why the Ninja didn't use their NRG forms after their weapons were stolen. From a storytelling sense, it would have completely defeated the point of them losing their elemental powers if they could just turn them back on at full, mind-blowing capacity whenever they needed to. So having them lose their NRG forms as well as their other non-Spinjitzu powers gave the loss of the golden weapons a little bit more impact. Of course, that doesn't explain why after they got their elemental swords they didn't go back to using their NRG forms when they had fought themselves into a corner.

Well, the Elemental Weapons are very different to the Golden Weapons. Though they are said to be more powerful (or interpreted to be, as they contain pure elemental powers), when "combined" they don't create a shockwave like the Golden Weapons did. The idea though, of the ninja not being able to use their NRG forms without their weapons because they did not have elemental powers is probably wrong. Cole was able to unlock his NRG form when he was not able to use the Scythe, and Jay was able to use his NRG form without the Nunchucks. Perhaps the Weapons have a sense of "ownership"? Whoever "owns" the Weapon/s has control over NRG forms. Thus, when Garmadon stole the Weapons after the Devourer was destroyed they belonged to him and not to the ninja. But my theory is almost completely unfounded, so it is as unlikely as the former.

I don't think the ninja ever had a real reason to use the NRG forms on the Dark Island anyway. Their powers, yes, but not their NRG forms. It was said by Sensei Wu that they had to focus in order to use their (elemental) vehicles? Then maybe a similar thing is happening. Or, maybe they all just got another issue and could not be at peace with themselves

Well, the Elemental Weapons are very different to the Golden Weapons. Though they are said to be more powerful (or interpreted to be, as they contain pure elemental powers), when "combined" they don't create a shockwave like the Golden Weapons did. The idea though, of the ninja not being able to use their NRG forms without their weapons because they did not have elemental powers is probably wrong. Cole was able to unlock his NRG form when he was not able to use the Scythe, and Jay was able to use his NRG form without the Nunchucks. Perhaps the Weapons have a sense of "ownership"? Whoever "owns" the Weapon/s has control over NRG forms. Thus, when Garmadon stole the Weapons after the Devourer was destroyed they belonged to him and not to the ninja. But my theory is almost completely unfounded, so it is as unlikely as the former.

Yeah, you've arrived at a similar theory to what I had. It's true that they didn't need to be holding the Golden Weapons to use their NRG forms, but they were still technically in possession of them. It's not uncommon in fantasy for magical artifacts to choose and bond with an owner (it's actually a critical plot point in the last Harry Potter book). Lord Garmadon using the Golden Weapons himself and then running off with them could possibly have broken that bond the weapons had with the Ninja.

I don't think the ninja ever had a real reason to use the NRG forms on the Dark Island anyway. Their powers, yes, but not their NRG forms. It was said by Sensei Wu that they had to focus in order to use their (elemental) vehicles? Then maybe a similar thing is happening. Or, maybe they all just got another issue and could not be at peace with themselves

Well, there are a couple moments people have pointed out where it would have really helped them to be able to levitate, which seems to be one of the things that the NRG forms allow. One example is when they were trying to return the helmet of shadows to its pedestal. Of course, from a visual and storytelling perspective, it makes sense not to make that kind of thing too easy, because that eliminates a golden opportunity to have the Ninja perform some awesome ninja flips and other acrobatics. But their failure to use the NRG forms at that or any subsequent time suggests that even with their elemental powers restored, the NRG forms were still not available to them.

I'm not too upset about the disappearance of the NRG forms during that season for a couple reasons. First of all, as in the case I just mentioned, the show has more action when the Ninja's powers are more limited, and second, the NRG forms didn't really look quite as cool in the show as they did in the sets, in my opinion.

Well, I don't think Cole had the ability to levitate (it was never shown, at least). Jay could both fly and levitate, Kai could fly and Zane could levitate. But anyway, there was probably too much stress on them in the moment for them to be used regardless. Speaking of Episode 24, I did find Garmadon's speech to Misako rather amusing. "Being evil these days is really unappreciated!" :laugh:

Uh, no. I'll get around to it. Thanks for reminding me.

EDIT, HERE you go. May need to do a bit of downloading. Plus, the video is kind of slow. There's also some other cool videos.

-Sci

I can't access that site, or the video is gone. Has anybody found those videos elsewhere? I'm really, really keen to watch the audition one.

Oh and thanks for the links to design artwork guys. Love seeing stuff like that.Wish i had half the talent those artists have.

I spent a couple of evenings this week watching all the episodes and was very impressed with the quality of the show. Obviously as a mature adult some of it seems a bit silly, but despite a few moments of lazy writing and the odd irritating character, (I'm looking at you Jay), I have to say for something designed to sell the sets to kids, Ninjago the show outstrips all other promo shows I've seen. Very clever stuff. I was completely uninterested in Ninjago apart from a mild interest in new parts created for the sets. I'm so glad I decided to give the show a chance. Hugely entertaining and on some level quite touching. I'm totally looking forward to the new season.

Edited by Jargo

I can't access that site or the video is gone. Has anybody found those videos elsewhere? I'm really really keen to watch the audition one.

Why didn't you watch it when I posted that in May?

-Sci

Because I didn't have any interest in it then. Like I said in my post, I've only just got into Ninjago.

Because I didn't have any interest in it then. Like I said in my post, I've only just got into Ninjago.

Ok, I found it on Youtube with English subtitles

-Sci

Oh yikes. According to WIkipedia, the show has an estimated budget of 4,600,000 British pounds *huh*

EDIT: Am I the only one getting tired of the confusion of which season is what number? Many people call the pilot episodes a season, then the next thirteen a seperate season and episodes 14-26 Season 3. Wikipedia doesn't even include the pilot episodes as a Season. And then there's the disc copies, all four volumes of which are referred to as Season Two.

I am aware that officially the next Season is Season 4, but still.

Edited by JayWalker

Oh yikes. According to WIkipedia, the show has an estimated budget of 4,600,000 British pounds *huh*

EDIT: Am I the only one getting tired of the confusion of which season is what number? Many people call the pilot episodes a season, then the next thirteen a seperate season and episodes 14-26 Season 3. Wikipedia doesn't even include the pilot episodes as a Season. And then there's the disc copies, all four volumes of which are referred to as Season Two.

I am aware that officially the next Season is Season 4, but still.

I think the most common way of describing them is the Pilot movie and mini movies involving the skeletons are Season 1. The Snake / Green Ninja series and the sort of filler episodes up to the destruction of the golden weapons are season 2 (but they are split between Season 2 part 1 and Season 2 part 2). The Stone Army series up to Garmadon turning good are season 3.

The Season numbers actually seem to correspond more to the Cartoon Network production orders than anything else.

Technically its Pilot and mini-episodes are season 1, the Serpentine and Green Ninja strories are Season 2, and the teambuilding filler and the Stone Army are Season 3 according to Cartoon Network. The DVD cases do not count the pilot as a season, making the latter two Seasons 1 and 2 respectively. I prefer the latter personally.

That's odd, I have all four of them just on the shelf above my computer. Or, rather, all 5 of them, including the Pilots. Each one of them says Season 2 on the side. (except the pilots, obviously)

Regional difference.

Out of curiosity, do the teambuilding/stone army DVDs you have have a slower speed when compared to the Serpentine/Green Ninja DVDs?

Anybody remember this debacle?

Guess what... My new DVD is defective! The sound is off on all the episodes (only the episodes)! Everything is a tad deeper, and now I have to go throught Target to get another one! If anyone has this fault in their DVD, I would love to be informed.

Today is March 5th. The Second season got released today... GUESS WHAT?

Let me just say that it is going to take more than one man to solve this problem. Buy yourself copies and listen for yourself.

I can finally explain what happened with an example. This website takes the episodes directly off of the DVDs.

Compare the sound of Day of the Great Devourer with Darkness Shall Rise.

Turns out, it's a speed difference, and even now, I still haven't gotten it resolved with Lego. All DVDs are defective like this in US versions of both the Part 1 DVD and the Full DVD of Season 2(US).

Edited by Penkid11

I haven't noticed any actual differences... I'll have a check later on.

Anyway, two things. Can we finally change the topic title to "Spinjitzu"? That small error has been annoying me ever since this topic was made last year. And, does anyone know what the title of the music that plays in The Day Ninjago Stood Still and Day of the Great Devourer? The one that plays when Jay and Zane are on the "Ice slide" and when Misako felt like doing some parkour XD

I haven't noticed any actual differences... I'll have a check later on.

Anyway, two things. Can we finally change the topic title to "Spinjitzu"? That small error has been annoying me ever since this topic was made last year. And, does anyone know what the title of the music that plays in The Day Ninjago Stood Still and Day of the Great Devourer? The one that plays when Jay and Zane are on the "Ice slide" and when Misako felt like doing some parkour XD

In Day of the Great Devourer, it's part of a piece titled "Taking the Bait". Here it is on Michael Kramer's Soundcloud: http://m.soundcloud.com/michaelkramer/taking-the-bait