Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

12 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Agreed. The first two episodes were pretty nice. The next two felt very off, rushed and forced indeed. At least, stretch it to five episodes with the fourth being the preparation episode and the fifth being the concluding battle. With that, I think, (the three) ninjas would have room to use the vehicles of the golden weapons in battle.

Also...why on earth wasn't there black clouds when the Oni make their assault on the Monastery? And personally, I think it might have been better if the Oni have stuffs/sets of their own like battle beasts, destroyer wisp or even more deadlier Oni Titans, Just have something. Because, yeah, just by themselves, is pretty weak. With stuffs like battle beasts and stuffs, the battle might be even more deadly and interesting.

I think in this season they nerfed the Oni to make them beatable, here is a list of Oni powers in the show:

#1 Black clouds (make humans choke and go unconscious). 

#2 Tentacles (paralyze humans and put them in a state of deep darkness).

#3 shapeshifting ( Mystake').

#4 Attack reflection ( both Omega, and the mask of Vengeance).

#5 Oni Magic ( Oni can not use elemental powers, but they can use telekinesis(mask of deception), stone armor( mask of Hatred) and Darkness blasts.

P.S. One thing to note, according to the cave drawing and the mask of vengeance, there are big fig Oni and four armed Oni (excluding Garmadon), which were not shown in this season.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

16 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I think in this season they nerfed the Oni to make them beatable, here is a list of Oni powers in the show:

#1 Black clouds (make humans choke and go unconscious). 

#2 Tentacles (paralyze humans and put them in a state of deep darkness).

#3 shapeshifting ( Mystake').

#4 Attack reflection ( both Omega, and the mask of Vengeance).

#5 Oni Magic ( Oni can not use elemental powers, but they can use telekinesis(mask of deception), stone armor( mask of Hatred) and Darkness blasts.

P.S. One thing to note, according to the cave drawing and the mask of vengeance, there are big fig Oni and four armed Oni (excluding Garmadon), which were not shown in this season.

Damn, that's wasted potentials to make the Oni awesome...Is it because of more effort and resources being diverted to season 11/summer wave?

Still, wish they get a good full season treatment and even a small wave treatment. Oh well...:shrug_oh_well:

BTW, Garmadon's face when he gets more powered-up on the oni side, looks quite hilariously ridiculous hehe. I think it would've been much better to at least have the design in par with Three General Mask or The Omega.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

That trailer appears to have been leaked prematurely, as the animation appears unfinished, at least according to Tommy Andreasen. Whether or not this is Season 11 or a miniseries remains unclear. According to a tweet thread (source below) the new series consists of 30 11 minute episodes, which is 15 22 minute episodes  so we might be looking at a bit of a soft reboot for the series. The series is also apparently called ‘Ninjago” as opposed to ‘Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu’.

(Source: https://ninja-guy-yo.tumblr.com/post/184562231916/considering-that-would-be-15-normal-22-minute)

Edited by Tobias_Jay

1 hour ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

I don't think they would fully reboot the series

Nor do I, but it would make sense for them to make the show feel different after March of the Oni, as that felt like the end of a saga. Now season 11 is moving into a new show, which is still the old show, but with a different runtime and slightly different title. 

If we are getting thirty 11-minute episodes this season, I would not be complaining. I wonder if, with the new runtime, we will see a change in the style of episodes. Maybe the show will take inspiration from other Cartoon Network shows, like the last couple of seasons of Adventure Time, with each episode having a more contained storyline with a consistent threat throughout. 

8 hours ago, Tobias_Jay said:

Nor do I, but it would make sense for them to make the show feel different after March of the Oni, as that felt like the end of a saga. Now season 11 is moving into a new show, which is still the old show, but with a different runtime and slightly different title. 

Ah so more like Ninjago Rebooted which kinda shifted the series a bit. Less like The Ninjago Movie where they changed... everything

8 hours ago, Tobias_Jay said:

Maybe the show will take inspiration from other Cartoon Network shows, like the last couple of seasons of Adventure Time, with each episode having a more contained storyline with a consistent threat throughout. 

Considering how eh, poorly handled the Oni were I think it wouldn't make sense to make every episode have a different threat I mean they had four episodes and they still couldn't make the oni as well developed as other villainous fractions like the SOG, Vermillion, sky pirates etc. That's not even taking into account the fact that they have to make sets.

Was quoting a post from the sets discussion topic but on second thought moved my response here since I didn't want to derail that one any further:

On 5/18/2019 at 7:39 PM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

So a press release from TLG advertises the new seasons to be like the old ones but also different to attract new fans. And episodes will just be 11 minutes.
Sad to see Ninjago also being sacrificed on the altar of profits. I hope it will still be somewhat good and keep the good whitty dialogues as well as asian-mystic adventurous nature

I don't see it as a "sacrifice", necessarily. Shows like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Hanazuki: Full of Treasures, Wander over Yonder, and Star Vs. the Forces of Evil have demonstrated that you can have compelling, emotional storytelling in 11-minute episodes just like in 22-minute ones. And it's not like the people making the show are somehow saving any money this way — a season of 30 episodes that are each 11 minutes long add up to a greater running time than 10 episodes that are each 22 minutes long, which has been the norm for previous seasons.

Networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have been increasingly favoring shorter cartoons like this partly due to more flexibility in scheduling, and I suspect they also do well online since they require both smaller time commitments from viewers, less buffering on streaming services, less memory to download to a mobile device for offline viewing, etc.

From the perspective of viewers, it can also help make the storytelling in each individual episode less choppy, since commercial breaks can be scheduled BETWEEN episodes instead of right in the middle of an episode (it's often awkward re-watching episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender on DVD and seeing just how often you hear a character say something, cut to black, and then they or another character restate what you just heard because people watching the show live need to be reminded what was happening before the commercial break.

Obviously there's no guarantee of how well Ninjago will do with this format, but I don't really understand all the cynicism I've seen about this change.

Edited by Aanchir

23 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I don't really understand all the cynicism I've seen about this change

Me too. How can someone judge the  show from a teaser and format is beyond me. You have cited several great examples that storytelling can come in different packages and as long as used properly, the writers  can drive the story forward to make a good story arc.

Ninjago is not known for very deep and intricate storytelling so it may actually benefit in this format if it means making the pacing snappier and avoiding padding the runtimes.

New teaser just dropped from Lego's youtube channel!

Gotta say, despite the change in tone from previous 3 seasons, I'm still quite excited for this! Really looking forwards to this now. :thumbup:

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

Teaser certainly has me very interested, and the glimpses of young Wu and Garmadon show that we will be getting some flashbacks and deep cuts to Ninjago lore as well, which should be really interesting! Can’t wait to see how Clutch Powers factors in and the animation looks great. It looks like they’re doing something a little different when Samurai X attacks with a stylized background like in TLNM, which is a welcome inclusion to spice things up.

I'm glad that not only they're introducing new characters like Clutch, Akita or Antonia but they're still bringing back old ones - Lil' Nelson (who probably shouldn't be called Lil' because he has mid or normal legs now) and hopefully they'll bring back more of them (Skylor!)

Also, the "Hey, ho, Ninjago" at the beginning which is probably part of the new theme sounds great

Season 11 will be shown in Ukraine starting from June 1st with 4 episodes per weekend.

So the first four episodes have been released, albeit not in English, and the animation style is certainly... different. At some points it looks really great, as the parts now stretch during fight sequences which makes it look a lot more fluid, but the city and landscape shots are a lot less vibrant and lifelike than they were in SoG and Hunted. It’s really interesting seeing how random questions Tommy Andreasen asked a few months ago are really apparent here (“do you guys still want the previously on recaps,” “do people like Zane’s visions and do they make sense in canon?”) and how people’s responses to his questions influenced the look and feel of the season.

22 hours ago, legozebra said:

do you guys still want the previously on recaps,

I would've preferred dropping it completely if I'd known the compromise they would make. 

Looking at the season. I'm predicting that

Spoiler

In order to combat the Fire Snakes. Lloyd Zane and Cole will have to go to this Ice realm and retrieve something from the Ice Samurai. While Kai Jay and Nya hold the fort back in Ninjago.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:11 PM, Aanchir said:

Networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have been increasingly favoring shorter cartoons like this partly due to more flexibility in scheduling, and I suspect they also do well online since they require both smaller time commitments from viewers, less buffering on streaming services, less memory to download to a mobile device for offline viewing, etc.

Maybe that's because Cartoon Network endlessly plays Teen Titans Go? Forcing the other cartoons to adapt. 

2 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Maybe that's because Cartoon Network endlessly plays Teen Titans Go? Forcing the other cartoons to adapt. 

If I had to guess, I'd wager that it's more likely the other way around (they play Teen Titans Go so often in part because the 15-minute length lines up well with their preferred scheduling strategy and/or kids' viewing habits).

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

If I had to guess, I'd wager that it's more likely the other way around (they play Teen Titans Go so often in part because the 15-minute length lines up well with their preferred scheduling strategy and/or kids' viewing habits).

teen titians go was the first cartoon to take that format to success though. 

A good several episodes have been released so far in Ukrainian (?) and the 11-minute format is... interesting, to say the least. It allowed for some really exploratory and unorthodox episodes, like some

focusing entirely on two random characters (Antonia and Nelson) without any ninja in them at all or another from the perspective of an NGTV news broadcast.

As far as animation goes, the switch from WilFilm to DHX Media in some ways is an improvement over SoG/Hunted/MotO and in others is a huge downgrade. One of my favorite things about the Oni Trilogy was the hyper-detailed, complex, vibrant city that felt very much alive and almost a character in it of itself. Here, city rendering seems to have been massively downgraded in favor of more dynamic motion during fights and some really cool fire/particle effects. Elemental Powers look much cooler and better for some characters (Lightning, Green Power) but I much preferred the look of Kai's fire and Nya's water with WilFilm. Fight sequences are improves, which is great - a standout is the Samurai X fight sequence which looks really dynamic and much better than its ever looked with WilFim. So there are tradeoffs here and there... I just miss the old city, though :(.