Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Meta-wise, it makes sense the writers want to use it to keep the door open to explore more realms in future seasons. In-universe-wise, the characters try to destroy it after the slightest inconvenience (and didn't seem too broken up about it when it actually was shattered). The heroes don't seem to have any interest in exploring realms outside of Ninjago. So after the third time the Realm Crystal causes them trouble, and the second time their goal is actively to destroy it, it's going to be harder to understand why they don't just do it before the next time a realm crossing villain pops up. 

When are the next episodes scheduled to air? Liking the season start so far, intrigued how it will continue.

Edited by Ordinareo

Spoiler

Cole is in next year's sets and so they obviously won't proper kill him, but what if he dies but survives as a ghost because he's been one before? I don't expect them to do it but it'd be cool.

I think that this season has been pretty good so far, here are my predictions for the finale...

Spoiler

With the golden weapons being re-forged and the tornado of creation being brought up in episode 95, the ninja are almost certainly going to use that power again. 

To be able to be part of the tornado of creation, Cole will probably survive the Oni cloud due to previously being a ghost and discover a way to ultimately defeat the Oni (because there has to be some reason they put his face at the beginning of each episode).

I'm really not sure about where Garmadon will end up this season, it'd be interesting if he interpenetrated Vinnie's advice incorrectly and continued with his villainous endeavors. Whichever way his story goes, I at least hope he stays part of the show. 

40 minutes ago, JasonEffex said:

I think that this season has been pretty good so far, here are my predictions for the finale...

Reveal hidden contents

With the golden weapons being re-forged and the tornado of creation being brought up in episode 95, the ninja are almost certainly going to use that power again. 

To be able to be part of the tornado of creation, Cole will probably survive the Oni cloud due to previously being a ghost and discover a way to ultimately defeat the Oni (because there has to be some reason they put his face at the beginning of each episode).

I'm really not sure about where Garmadon will end up this season, it'd be interesting if he interpenetrated Vinnie's advice incorrectly and continued with his villainous endeavors. Whichever way his story goes, I at least hope he stays part of the show. 

Spoiler

I think the most obvious direction he'll interpret Vinny and Lloyd's words will lead to him sacrificing himself to save Lloyd. He's been saving Lloyd all season and insisting it was only to increase their odds of survival, so it could be building up to one final actually altruistic act.

Episode 98 is out 

Spoiler

I honestly thought Lloyd was going to be killed off.

And Took 10 seasons but we got the four golden weapons and the Tornado of creation back.

Honestly if they wanted to end it here and Reboot the series. I would be totally fine with that.

Edited by Takanuinuva

Well that episode...

Spoiler

...felt super, super rushed.

It was okay, but I feel really disappointed by this season. 

Spoiler

Should they do a big time skip now? I think That'd make sense. Like season 11 starts 15 years into the future and Jay and Nya have a kis or something maybe.

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:
  Hide contents

Should they do a big time skip now? I think That'd make sense. Like season 11 starts 15 years into the future and Jay and Nya have a kis or something maybe.

Spoiler

I don't think there's any reason to believe Season 11 won't be business as usual.

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:
  Hide contents

I don't think there's any reason to believe Season 11 won't be business as usual.

Hence the should, I what I'd like not what I expect. Same applies 

Spoiler

to what I said earlier about Cole become a ghost again or that I'd rather Lloyd died.( Not cause I dislike him but then the victory would have been more earned and It'd shake up the status quo.)

I have placed my thoughts below :D 

Also, I would not suggest reading it if you don't want your perception to be changed. If you really liked Season 10, it is best that it remained that way.

Spoiler

This season is, in my opinion, very disappointing. I can't tell whether it's because it's just a four episode special and they didn't want to put as much effort into it, or the quality has in fact dropped. 

The main villains of this season is the Oni, and they are, story wise, incredibly weak. All they want is to destroy without any proper reason whatsoever. Saying that destruction is in their nature is just lazy. I would have preferred some depth on their part. 

Cole should have stayed dead. They could make it in such a way that he get's reunited with the first spinjitzu master and have them come back at a later season when he is needed again. But he didn't even get scratched by that fall. I know he is pretty strong and all, but that fall should have in the very least hospitalized him. And when he tries to get to his driller, he has to walk through some of that Oni darkness, which as it turns out, wasn't even a problem at all, thus contradicting what they have previously established. When the ninjas grieve for the loss of Cole, it seems really forced and unnatural, and all of a sudden Lloyd and the ninjas suddenly stopped caring about the trouble and hand and chose to mourn. In the past episode where Sensei Wu sacrificed himself and get's eaten by the Great Devourer, it played out much better, and the Ninjas didn't stop, but went forward to face the Great Devourer even after losing their ship as well. 

Nya should have honestly said no to Jay's proposal. There was no build up whatsoever. Jay and Nya did not even talk for the most part. It seems like they were relying on what little of their relationship that has been established in the past seasons, which isn't enough. Especially if we are going to get the pay-off of Nya accepting Jay's proposal. Also, somehow I think that Nya's personality has changed ever since Season 8. Don't know what did the writer did, but she just seemed to lack the quirkiness that she had before. (Plus, It also seems that Jay isn't what he used to be. His jokes are not creative anymore, and somehow Cole manages to be a better goofball than he is. In the older seasons, despite the whining and his other weird character traits, he was also pretty fierce, and it's not quite showing recently. 

Garmaddon was also very weirdly written as well. In Season 8, he presumably had no soul, but now all of a sudden, we can see him express some emotions. His relationship and interactions with Lloyd was pretty good, and it seems to be leading to something. But in the final episode, Garmaddon just walks away, without saying anything to Lloyd. Although it may seem like he started to change, and starts to question himself, at the way the story is written right now, he could be a complete villain all over again the next day. There wasn't a solid payoff with his character. 

Lloyd was also kinda bad. When he was down there with Garmaddon, on their quest to destroy the realm crystal, he suddenly lost all of his training and couldn't fight. You'd think that 10 seasons in and he would already be a master. He even trips and falls down when holding the Golden Armor. In the end it also seemed like he died. He took the First Spinjitzu Master's hand, suggesting that he isn't going to return to Ninjago. But without explanation, he suddenly wakes up. They already did that with Cole. If you don't want your characters to die anytime soon, then don't try to make it like they did. There are many other ways to create emotional moments. 

Also, Kai doesn't have any confidence in himself anymore. What happened to his impulsive and cocky personality? :(

Well, I may be totally wrong, but those are just my thoughts that I needed to get off my head. I totally understand that it is a cartoon for kids and is still enjoyable nonetheless, but compared to the other seasons this one doesn't quite hold up. Not saying that the older seasons are really great, but they had heart and the goofiness that this season tries to have, but it didn't work as well.

The writers just cannot do a good special, first Day of the Departed and now this? At least DOTD had good music. Why did they stop hiring the fold to do the intro music? To save money? That's just lazy. They may need to take a break of specials. Maybe a few normal seasons

I think they should have made season 10 a full season, because over all this season felt really rushed and the Oni were not flushed out very well, considering their villains from the beginning of time and it doesn't answer questions like who the 3 Oni Warlords were, or how Mystake' betrayed the Oni .

Edited by Dr.Cogg

3 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

I think they should have made season 10 a full season, because over all this season felt really rushed and the Oni were not flushed out very well, considering their villains from the beginning of time and it doesn't answer questions like who the 3 Oni Warlords were, or how Mystake' betrayed the Oni .

Like are they going to answer this next season perhaps?

25 minutes ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Like are they going to answer this next season perhaps?

I think this was called the end of the arc for a reason. There aren't exactly any Oni left to answer those questions.

Edited by GarmaFan

15 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

I think this was called the end of the arc for a reason. There aren't exactly any Oni left to answer those questions.

That's not entirely true, for one, there was one Oni left who had died before, then was brought back and two, how do we know that was all the Oni, when before Ninjago, they had been conquering all the other realms, which I would image that they would leave some forces behind at each conquered realm.

Spoiler
On 2/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, ExeSandbox said:

I have placed my thoughts below :D 

Also, I would not suggest reading it if you don't want your perception to be changed. If you really liked Season 10, it is best that it remained that way.

Hide contents

This season is, in my opinion, very disappointing. I can't tell whether it's because it's just a four episode special and they didn't want to put as much effort into it, or the quality has in fact dropped. 

The main villains of this season is the Oni, and they are, story wise, incredibly weak. All they want is to destroy without any proper reason whatsoever. Saying that destruction is in their nature is just lazy. I would have preferred some depth on their part. 

Cole should have stayed dead. They could make it in such a way that he get's reunited with the first spinjitzu master and have them come back at a later season when he is needed again. But he didn't even get scratched by that fall. I know he is pretty strong and all, but that fall should have in the very least hospitalized him. And when he tries to get to his driller, he has to walk through some of that Oni darkness, which as it turns out, wasn't even a problem at all, thus contradicting what they have previously established. When the ninjas grieve for the loss of Cole, it seems really forced and unnatural, and all of a sudden Lloyd and the ninjas suddenly stopped caring about the trouble and hand and chose to mourn. In the past episode where Sensei Wu sacrificed himself and get's eaten by the Great Devourer, it played out much better, and the Ninjas didn't stop, but went forward to face the Great Devourer even after losing their ship as well. 

Nya should have honestly said no to Jay's proposal. There was no build up whatsoever. Jay and Nya did not even talk for the most part. It seems like they were relying on what little of their relationship that has been established in the past seasons, which isn't enough. Especially if we are going to get the pay-off of Nya accepting Jay's proposal. Also, somehow I think that Nya's personality has changed ever since Season 8. Don't know what did the writer did, but she just seemed to lack the quirkiness that she had before. (Plus, It also seems that Jay isn't what he used to be. His jokes are not creative anymore, and somehow Cole manages to be a better goofball than he is. In the older seasons, despite the whining and his other weird character traits, he was also pretty fierce, and it's not quite showing recently. 

Garmaddon was also very weirdly written as well. In Season 8, he presumably had no soul, but now all of a sudden, we can see him express some emotions. His relationship and interactions with Lloyd was pretty good, and it seems to be leading to something. But in the final episode, Garmaddon just walks away, without saying anything to Lloyd. Although it may seem like he started to change, and starts to question himself, at the way the story is written right now, he could be a complete villain all over again the next day. There wasn't a solid payoff with his character. 

Lloyd was also kinda bad. When he was down there with Garmaddon, on their quest to destroy the realm crystal, he suddenly lost all of his training and couldn't fight. You'd think that 10 seasons in and he would already be a master. He even trips and falls down when holding the Golden Armor. In the end it also seemed like he died. He took the First Spinjitzu Master's hand, suggesting that he isn't going to return to Ninjago. But without explanation, he suddenly wakes up. They already did that with Cole. If you don't want your characters to die anytime soon, then don't try to make it like they did. There are many other ways to create emotional moments. 

Also, Kai doesn't have any confidence in himself anymore. What happened to his impulsive and cocky personality? :(

Well, I may be totally wrong, but those are just my thoughts that I needed to get off my head. I totally understand that it is a cartoon for kids and is still enjoyable nonetheless, but compared to the other seasons this one doesn't quite hold up. Not saying that the older seasons are really great, but they had heart and the goofiness that this season tries to have, but it didn't work as well.

Honestly all of this describes how I felt. Though the Oni were the biggest letdown; the rest didn't bother me as much. I thought they would be basically unstoppable, but that would take more than 4 episodes to resolve. The greatest villains that predate Ninjago? Why do they destroy? Just it being in their nature feels like a cop-out. Maybe if they said they believed there's some kind of purity in destruction or something. I also wish they'd have been destroyed differently, maybe. I guess the tornado one-shotting all of them didn't do it for me.

Jay's proposal literally came out of the blue; that was probably the worst time for it. Nya could've just as well said no given the dire situation. Take care of the army of ancient demons first. I also agree she's missing something her character had previously. Cole's return seemed pretty random as well, it could've been done better. I also thought when Lloyd took the FSM's hand he'd be gone forever. That's what happens when they take the mystical elderly guy's hand I'm pretty sure. Dead, goneso. And yes, they've faced all kinds of enemies including ghosts; you'd think all that experience would've helped in some way (on top of his spinjitzu.)

I guess all that build-up just didn't really have a good payoff for me. Still enjoyable, but a lot could have been handled better.

1 hour ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Are you you sure?

Also I still think the Overlord is an Oni..

Surely, that would've been brought up by now if that was the case.. they've practically went out of their way to not even say his name this whole trilogy.

12 hours ago, Dr.Cogg said:

That's not entirely true, for one, there was one Oni left who had died before, then was brought back and two, how do we know that was all the Oni, when before Ninjago, they had been conquering all the other realms, which I would image that they would leave some forces behind at each conquered realm.

With the Oni Masks that are mostly broken, and were only for bringing one back at a time (using the hair of an Oni's wife, son, and brother). The Oni also took over the Realm of Oni and Dragons, and the cloud dissipated there.

I'm just saying, "The End" seems pretty final. This is what they've been building up to, it's just hard to see how they'd go from this to bringing them back, say, two seasons/waves later. Even Season 2 ended with them saying it was possible the Overlord would return.

Edited by GarmaFan

On 2/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, Dr.Cogg said:

Agreed. The first two episodes were pretty nice. The next two felt very off, rushed and forced indeed. At least, stretch it to five episodes with the fourth being the preparation episode and the fifth being the concluding battle. With that, I think, (the three) ninjas would have room to use the vehicles of the golden weapons in battle.

Also...why on earth wasn't there black clouds when the Oni make their assault on the Monastery? And personally, I think it might have been better if the Oni have stuffs/sets of their own like battle beasts, destroyer wisp or even more deadlier Oni Titans, Just have something. Because, yeah, just by themselves, is pretty weak. With stuffs like battle beasts and stuffs, the battle might be even more deadly and interesting.

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)