Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

2 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

These episodes keep getting better and better

Also my own theory

Hide contents

Iron Baron is an Oni. Maybe even the last Oni in the realm if it's to be believed the Oni left the first realm

A bit ironic that the season will probably end before the sets even come out in most areas.

I love that theory! It explains why

He and his gang of hunters entered the Oni territory and only he returned. Perhaps there was one Oni left who stayed behind to rule over the hunters.

I completely agree. 

Also, really?

Spoiler

They never even thought about looking for the armour in Firstborne's nest? That would have been, like, the first place I looked if I were in their position. It was right there in the legend; the First Spinjitzu Master entrusted the armour to Firstborne. Obviously she'd keep it in her nest. 

Also, I love Faith's character dynamic. Calling it now; she's gonna take over the Hunters when Iron Baron is defeated. 

It's interesting world-building too, far more than I expected, to flesh out the Dragon Hunters to the point where we now know that Iron Baron is using the fear of the Oni to control them. We haven't had a villain group with this sort of depth since the Serpentine!

Over on the Ninjago side, it seems that Garmadon might not be that evil after all. Apparently there's some 'greater foe' in the Departed Realm and his attempts to militarise Ninjago are all in an effort to defeat this being. Makes me wonder why he isn't even trying to get Lloyd and co. on side. Unless, of course, he's making the whole thing up to justify taking over Ninjago. Now that would be a twist . . one that I'd quite like, TBH. But, considering how they're implying more and more that the Oni are mostly extinct . . and all the dead Oni are in the Departed Realm . . . oh, especialy since Mystake all but confirmed that she's the only 'good' Oni and all the others are bad to the bone. Which is a bit of a shame . . 

Can't to see what the last four episodes have in store!

I do wonder. Did the hunters always live in the first realm? Or did they get there accidentally from another realm?

On 7/12/2018 at 7:23 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

As much as I'd love that, and it does make sense that Oni, as shapeshifters, would be capable of switching genders at will, I doubt they'd put it on a children's show. For PG-13 reasons. 

Though there would be something beautiful about a male Oni hiding by pretending to be a woman for years . . .

I might use that in a story sometime, actually . . .

Yeah, fair point. Besides, I love the direction they actually went with her backstory. 

(Also, I would love to see the story you create around that idea!)

A kind of big gripe has emerged for me in episode 89 overnight:

Spoiler

The scene where Jay explicitly points out the scene parallels between then and the Pilot. Those sorts of call backs are clever and great for long time fans (at least I enjoy them), but I feel that having characters point them out in the actual episode takes the charm away from the moment. It’s almost like the Hagemans, or whoever created that scene, thought it was super clever and wanted to make sure long time audiences appreciated it too. I do think that at least one fan would have picked p on the irony on their own. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but that sort of stuff really takes me out of the moment a bit.

21 minutes ago, Tobias_Jay said:

Yeah, fair point. Besides, I love the direction they actually went with her backstory. 

(Also, I would love to see the story you create around that idea!)

A kind of big gripe has emerged for me in episode 89 overnight:

Hide contents

The scene where Jay explicitly points out the scene parallels between then and the Pilot. Those sorts of call backs are clever and great for long time fans (at least I enjoy them), but I feel that having characters point them out in the actual episode takes the charm away from the moment. It’s almost like the Hagemans, or whoever created that scene, thought it was super clever and wanted to make sure long time audiences appreciated it too. I do think that at least one fan would have picked p on the irony on their own. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but that sort of stuff really takes me out of the moment a bit.

To be fair, Cole did that in Ghost Story too, when they visited the Caves of Despair.

And yes. I definitely want to see Mystake's true form. I bet Mystake isn't even her real name! XD

Episode 91 is out on youtube, I wont post a link, since I dont know if it is allowed. And now I wait for tomorow, to see episode 92. 

Edited by Daimar

21 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Spoiler

They never even thought about looking for the armour in Firstborne's nest? That would have been, like, the first place I looked if I were in their position. It was right there in the legend; the First Spinjitzu Master entrusted the armour to Firstborne. Obviously she'd keep it in her nest. 

Spoiler

The reason they didn't is cause they didn't know where the nest was. If the hunters new that. The would have found it already. The map in the oni fortress is what led the Ninja to it

Spoiler

Hey look a Ninja vehicle lasted more than one episode :p

I really liked episode 91. Though I wish the Dieselnaut could actually split like that in the toy.

I wonder if Lloyd's plan to have Skylor control the Oni Titan will work. We won't know till the 17th as it seems the episodes aren't airing daily after today.

Without giving away too much, I felt that Sons of Garmadon peaked at its seventh episode, Game of Masks, and the final episodes were a little lackluster in comparison, whereas the seventh episode of Hunted only makes me think the best is yet to come - I’m really excited to see what happens after that cliffhanger and if

Mystake will reveal herself as an Oni and battle against Garmadon

One minor nitpick that really bugged me -

How did Garmadon not know Skylor was the master of Amber? He was literally the character who told the ninja what her power set was in Tournament of Elements. Does he not have any memories?

One really cool thing I’m not seeing discussed from episode 90 was

the “great darkness” in the Departed Realm and Garmadon’s true motivation to “protect his father’s realm.” I feel like this is a tease for S10, where the ninja have to potentially unite with Garmadon to defend the realm from an end-all threat.

That was such a good episode, but i hate Cliffhangers. The season gets better and better with every passing episode.

Edited by Ordinareo

3 hours ago, legozebra said:

Without giving away too much, I felt that Sons of Garmadon peaked at its seventh episode, Game of Masks, and the final episodes were a little lackluster in comparison, whereas the seventh episode of Hunted only makes me think the best is yet to come - I’m really excited to see what happens after that cliffhanger and if

Hide contents

Mystake will reveal herself as an Oni and battle against Garmadon

One minor nitpick that really bugged me -

Hide contents

How did Garmadon not know Skylor was the master of Amber? He was literally the character who told the ninja what her power set was in Tournament of Elements. Does he not have any memories?

One really cool thing I’m not seeing discussed from episode 90 was

Hide contents

the “great darkness” in the Departed Realm and Garmadon’s true motivation to “protect his father’s realm.” I feel like this is a tease for S10, where the ninja have to potentially unite with Garmadon to defend the realm from an end-all threat.

Spoiler

They never said that Garmadon doesn't know. But the fact that HaruMystake didn't tell him was a red flag.

Awesome episode. I loved the chase scene. Makes it a real pity that the other Hunter vehicles don't appear in sets. And aww, they lost the Destiny's Wing. I liked that plane. Even though it wasn't really a - actuslly wait. That's been bugging me. Those vehicles, the Wing and the other two, the Ninja were using the last couple of episodes are hovercraft, right? So they can float over uneven terrain, but not fly properly? Because that's the only explanation I can find for why they didn't just fly over the mountain. 

And yes, I wish that the Dieselnaut could split as well . . maybe it could be modified?

But Harumi confuses me a little . . she let herself get captured so that Lloyd would find and use the Oni Mask of Hatred? Did she hope that the Mask would turn him evil if he used it? Or something?

Spoiler

And yes, that 'great darkness' is definitely teasing a future season. I still think it's all the dead Oni who want to come back to life and destroy Ninjago and the First Realm.

It's an okay season so far.

Now it feels like Mad Max meets How to Train Your Dragon.

2 hours ago, makoy said:

It's an okay season so far.

Now it feels like Mad Max meets How to Train Your Dragon.

You say that like it's a bad thing. XD

On 7/14/2018 at 10:59 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

You say that like it's a bad thing. XD

LOL. Not intentional... but I wish it will get better. Few more episodes left!

So episode 92 is out.

Spoiler

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by the return of Master Wu. We had all this interesting stuff going on about young Wu relearning his wisdom, and growing up with guidance from the other ninja, and then BAM! - old Master Wu is back again, and all of that development was for nothing. We'll see how the last couple of episodes handle Wu, anyway. A part of me was hoping that Wu wouldn't get his old memories back fully at all.

I have some thoughts on Harumi's arc as well, which I'll add in a bit.

So I’m guessing the Hagenmans will pull a plot twist on us and reveal the McGuffin of the season will be powerless, and you have to lead the dragon with respect, not with golden armor. I like it, even though things in the dragon/Oni realm seem very straightforward and not that interesting compared to the Ninjago stuff. 

So... on Harumi...

If this is truly how she dies, I’ve got to say I’m really disappointed. Sons of Garmadon set her up to be one of the most complex and interesting Ninjago villains, only for her to literally flip flop this season between seconds of regret to full evil. I feel that once she became a villain and her plot was revealed, she took a major step backwards in character development and devolved into a shell of who she was. This season in particular it felt like she has even a puppet for Garmadon more than ever. Her one moment of regret when Mr. E died didn’t really lead to anything other than her decision in the final moments of the episode; and right after Garmadon threatens to kill her the next episode or so she’s begging to become his spiritual daughter of evil. I feel like there were hints of character development (perhaps her lack of a father figure with her real father dead and the emperor probably too busy to care for her) so she went for Garmadon, but that’s really all conjecture. I just feel like Ninjago’s best villain (or at least one of the best) was mishandled during Hunted and while her death was meaningful and fit with the character, it seems like such a waste to kill her in this fashion. I really hope she somehow survived the building collapse, but that death seems final.

Edited by legozebra

2 hours ago, legozebra said:

So... on Harumi...

You've summed up my thoughts on this pretty well.

Spoiler

love a good redemption arc. The way Harumi was set up, with a tragic backstory and hints of showing remorse early on this season, made me think we were going to get a satisfying story arc for her. Harumi really had the potential to be one of Ninjago's most interesting characters, but if this is the resolution for her character, it's deeply disappointing. 

We had some tantalising clues that we could get a least a bit of nuance and complexity with her character. But no, instead we get a basically one-dimensional minion of Garmadon (who himself has also been robbed of much character depth post-resurrection). Then all of a sudden she faces her reckoning, and then supposedly dies. Her story sorta makes sense, but it could have been so much more. Harumi could have easily been the best villain in Ninjago so far.

And what was the whole deal about wanting Garmadon as a father figure to her? Why did she want this? Why did Garmadon? To create drama between Harumi and Lloyd, Garmy's biological son? That didn't go anywhere.

So yeah, I feel like a lot of great potential has been squandered in one episode. This really was one of my favourite seasons up to now :/

Edited by Kopaka25

1 hour ago, Kopaka25 said:

You've summed up my thoughts on this pretty well.

Hide contents

love a good redemption arc. The way Harumi was set up, with a tragic backstory and hints of showing remorse early on this season, made me think we were going to get a satisfying story arc for her. Harumi really had the potential to be one of Ninjago's most interesting characters, but if this is the resolution for her character, it's deeply disappointing. 

We had some tantalising clues that we could get a least a bit of nuance and complexity with her character. But no, instead we get a basically one-dimensional minion of Garmadon (who himself has also been robbed of much character depth post-resurrection). Then all of a sudden she faces her reckoning, and then supposedly dies. Her story sorta makes sense, but it could have been so much more. Harumi could have easily been the best villain in Ninjago so far.

And what was the whole deal about wanting Garmadon as a father figure to her? Why did she want this? Why did Garmadon? To create drama between Harumi and Lloyd, Garmy's biological son? That didn't go anywhere.

So yeah, I feel like a lot of great potential has been squandered in one episode. This really was one of my favourite seasons up to now :/

I agree with a lot of your points, although I wouldn’t really call it a

season ruined, at least for me. It was still a great episode for story and character (one of the next we’ve had after two lackluster chase-filled eps), and I’ll have to admit Harumi’s death scene with the child mirroring how she ended up was one of the most emotional scenes in Ninjago and made me really feel for Harumi - until she died. 

And I agree - what was with the daughter thing? I suspect it was to make Garmadon suddenly care about Harumi just for her to die, and cause him to stop at nothing to, as they keep saying, “destroy” Lloyd, but it was not handled particularly well if that was the goal. 

The one thing I’m kinda on the fence with for this episode, Harumi aside, is the true form of an Oni. In SOG they were depicted as being human-like warriors, and the Oni Masks and Oni Stronghold we saw in last season and this one hinted at much larger, more grotesque beings. Mystake’s transformation almost looked like it was a baby Oni, or perhaps a young one - a bit underwhelming for all the hype. I’m guessing those are next season’s villains, so it does make sense they need to come in fun size for armies, but I’d have liked to see a constraction/CCBS type build for the Oni to change things up a bit.

There's definitely still plenty to enjoy this season, I just feel that some interesting aspects, namely

Spoiler

Harumi's arc and Young Wu

have been thrown away.

Spoiler

Maybe it's unfair to judge the show based on what I was hoping for rather than what it's trying to be. Post-SoG Harumi has about as much depth as any other Ninjago villain. I was just hoping that the writers would do something more interesting with the character.

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

I agree with a lot of your points, although I wouldn’t really call it a

Hide contents

season ruined, at least for me. It was still a great episode for story and character (one of the next we’ve had after two lackluster chase-filled eps), and I’ll have to admit Harumi’s death scene with the child mirroring how she ended up was one of the most emotional scenes in Ninjago and made me really feel for Harumi - until she died. 

And I agree - what was with the daughter thing? I suspect it was to make Garmadon suddenly care about Harumi just for her to die, and cause him to stop at nothing to, as they keep saying, “destroy” Lloyd, but it was not handled particularly well if that was the goal. 

The one thing I’m kinda on the fence with for this episode, Harumi aside, is the true form of an Oni. In SOG they were depicted as being human-like warriors, and the Oni Masks and Oni Stronghold we saw in last season and this one hinted at much larger, more grotesque beings. Mystake’s transformation almost looked like it was a baby Oni, or perhaps a young one - a bit underwhelming for all the hype. I’m guessing those are next season’s villains, so it does make sense they need to come in fun size for armies, but I’d have liked to see a constraction/CCBS type build for the Oni to change things up a bit.

Spoiler

I also didn't dislike this episode but the Wu moment and the size of the true Oni was also a little bit of a letdown but they are shapeshifters, they may just grow for battle but Mystake didn't to avoid hitting Skylor :def_shrug:.

42759014364_93c69f509c_o.jpg

28588896157_64ab8877ca_o.jpg

Edited by Agent Kallus

Okay, no. 

Spoiler

I do not know why you're all so certain that Harumi is dead. So a building collapsed. People have survived worse on this show. It would be one thing if she were inside, but on the roof? She could easily have jumped clear. 

I'm certain that this whole thing is just to make Garmadon think that she's dead. We're seeing it from his perspective because if we're told that she's alive moments after Garmadon watched her die, there'd be no dramatic tension. Now we get to wait until the next episode, or maybe the finale, which will reveal that she's alive after all. 

And, besides, who says that death is the end? Even if she didn't die, you know where dead people go in Ninjago? The Departed Realm. You know where the 'great darkness' that Garmadon was talking about before is? The Departed Realm. Even if Harumi is dead now, there's still plenty of ways she could have an impact on the plot. 

Besides, the writing these past couple of seasons has been too good for the Hagemans to just waste a compelling and fascinating character like this. I don't believe it. I refuse to believe that Harumi is just going to disappear like that. 

Now, the other major reveals. Mystake's Oni form . . yeah, it's a little disappointing, but it makes sense. If they make a new part for her wig, similar to the bit that Black Panther has but with bigger horns, I could see something like that being a generic, massable army building figure. So yeah, I can see them setting up for next season, with more Oni, in that. 

It is a bit of a shame that this is how the Young Wu plot ends, but really I'm just glad that Master Wu's back. And I'm sure he's cooking up something. I think you're right, it's totally possible that the Dragon Armour doesn't do anything and the bond with Firstborne is based on trust and respect. 

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Okay, no. 

Hide contents

I do not know why you're all so certain that Harumi is dead. So a building collapsed. People have survived worse on this show. It would be one thing if she were inside, but on the roof? She could easily have jumped clear. 

I'm certain that this whole thing is just to make Garmadon think that she's dead. We're seeing it from his perspective because if we're told that she's alive moments after Garmadon watched her die, there'd be no dramatic tension. Now we get to wait until the next episode, or maybe the finale, which will reveal that she's alive after all. 

And, besides, who says that death is the end? Even if she didn't die, you know where dead people go in Ninjago? The Departed Realm. You know where the 'great darkness' that Garmadon was talking about before is? The Departed Realm. Even if Harumi is dead now, there's still plenty of ways she could have an impact on the plot. 

Besides, the writing these past couple of seasons has been too good for the Hagemans to just waste a compelling and fascinating character like this. I don't believe it. I refuse to believe that Harumi is just going to disappear like that. 

Now, the other major reveals. Mystake's Oni form . . yeah, it's a little disappointing, but it makes sense. If they make a new part for her wig, similar to the bit that Black Panther has but with bigger horns, I could see something like that being a generic, massable army building figure. So yeah, I can see them setting up for next season, with more Oni, in that. 

It is a bit of a shame that this is how the Young Wu plot ends, but really I'm just glad that Master Wu's back. And I'm sure he's cooking up something. I think you're right, it's totally possible that the Dragon Armour doesn't do anything and the bond with Firstborne is based on trust and respect. 

I think there’s a 50/50 chance Harumi will return. They gave her the standard Ninjago death sendoff (complete with sad music, slow mo, and flashbacks), but the death was ambiguous enough (plus I can’t believe the Hagenmans would just waste her like that) so you might be right about her return. 

It looks like the Oni form of Mystake has a part like the Black Panther piece, but with acle receptacles to interchange different horn elements.

36 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Hide contents

I think there’s a 50/50 chance Harumi will return. They gave her the standard Ninjago death sendoff (complete with sad music, slow mo, and flashbacks), but the death was ambiguous enough (plus I can’t believe the Hagenmans would just waste her like that) so you might be right about her return. 

It looks like the Oni form of Mystake has a part like the Black Panther piece, but with acle receptacles to interchange different horn elements.

I do hope we get that new part. It looks awesome, and the MOC potential is endless. (I'm sure we'll end up with some minifigs that have ridiculously oversized horns, though. XD)

Hmmm . . if we got the three-stud-tall  Toy Story legs, a secondary torso like the ones Garmadon uses, a little extra height by using a couple of brackets on the two necks, and this part with some brick-built horns thrown on, we might just be able to make the tallest mini figure ever! 

Heh, wait. If we got Lord Garmadon and gave him Outrider-style extra arms in both torsos . . . WE COULD HAVE A MINIFIGURE WITH TWELVE ARMS!!!!

That escalated quckly, but the point stands that minifig customisation possibilities are just about endless these days. And it just gets better. 

Just to say, my rule of thumb is, if a character doesn't disintegrate, or die of old age, they aren't dead.

Also, has anyone bothered to ask where the mask of Vengeance is?

Regarding the subject of

Spoiler

Oni being different from their silhouetted representation. Have we considered that there might be larger counterparts, similar to the Buffmillion compared to the other Vermillion? Or perhaps the silhouetted figure is a "powered up" Oni.

Did anyone notice that Mystake was nude, in her Oni form...

3 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Just to say, my rule of thumb is, if a character doesn't disintegrate, or die of old age, they aren't dead.

Also, has anyone bothered to ask where the mask of Vengeance is?

Regarding the subject of

Hide contents

Oni being different from their silhouetted representation. Have we considered that there might be larger counterparts, similar to the Buffmillion compared to the other Vermillion? Or perhaps the silhouetted figure is a "powered up" Oni.

Did anyone notice that Mystake was nude, in her Oni form...

I’m hoping that Mystake is revealed to be a relatively weak Oni compared to the rest, as the time in human form shrunk her/diminished her power. The silhouetted figure could work as either a constraction figure to replace the void of Star Wars constraction’s cancellation or as a figure in the scale of a Nexo Knights Battle Armor to take the $10-$15 impulse buy price point, all of which I’d be open to...

Spoiler

The episode’s ending was either a send off for Harumi or a catalyst for redemption. As much as her ‘death’ was maybe underwhelming, all of the scenes preceding were a kind of hinting at these being her last moments. The parallels to when she lost her parents, she had a semi-redemption and there was the slow motion blinking in the direction of Lloyd. Thus, she is either truly dead, or maybe (and personally I think unlikely) she’s made a realisation and will try to protect the people of Ninjago alongside Lloyd.