Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

I have a question about the recent episode. At the beginning we see a flashback of Harumi playing with two ninja "dolls", one is red, the other is green. She calls the red one "Shadowthief" and the green one apperently owns the "sword of fortune", but the ninja himself is not named, are this suposed to be some kind of callbacks to the 1998 ninja theme (they had green and red ninjas and one of the green ones was a female, maybe Harumis hero) or are these names from the ninjago comics? I did not put this in spoilers, because its not really telling anything about the episode, I was just intrigued by that scene, thats all.

6 hours ago, Daimar said:

I have a question about the recent episode. At the beginning we see a flashback of Harumi playing with two ninja "dolls", one is red, the other is green. She calls the red one "Shadowthief" and the green one apperently owns the "sword of fortune", but the ninja himself is not named, are this suposed to be some kind of callbacks to the 1998 ninja theme (they had green and red ninjas and one of the green ones was a female, maybe Harumis hero) or are these names from the ninjago comics? I did not put this in spoilers, because its not really telling anything about the episode, I was just intrigued by that scene, thats all.

I think it was intended to be just random names and things a kid would make up; not to have any meaning in it. There isn’t anything in the comics or expanded universe material that reflects this.

19 hours ago, legozebra said:

I think it was intended to be just random names and things a kid would make up; not to have any meaning in it. There isn’t anything in the comics or expanded universe material that reflects this.

Okay, thanks. I just thought it was something from the ninjago comics, did not read any of them, thats why I asked. I allready searched thru the ninjago wikia but did not find anything, so I thought, that someone here might know more. Thanks, for clearing that up for me.

I like the "Quiet One's" outfit, makes them look like the leader of the SoG, also we will be getting that minifig with the season 9 sets.

Caught Episode 82, and . . 

Spoiler

Wow, this one rocked! We finally saw the Temple of Resurrection, and the reveal that it was in the Palace all along was brilliant! Also, the way the set's 'action feature' was repeated by the Temple roof collapsing in on itself was pretty sweet to see. The return of Misako (yay they didn't change her!) is pretty good, even though it wouldn't have been nice to see her not be a damsel. Here's hoping we get her in a set again soon. 

The summoning rite was hilariously overblown and totally awesome. It bugged me a bit that Harumi simply repeated the same three things over and over again for the first party, but that's a minor gripe at best. 

We finally saw the Katana VII . . I was hoping they'd use it for more . . . then again, the Ninja Nightcrawler apparently only existed for one day and then was never seen again . . .

And, finally . . hot damn. Lloyd's sure changing his tune. This is exciting. I wonder what it'll mean going forward?

Spoiler

You know I'm wondering. When Garmadon was cured of his evil back in the stone army season. Was that evil version of him sent to the departed realm? Meaning there are two dead Garmadons? Otherwise wouldn't bringing Garmadon back just bring back Sensei Garmadon?

1 hour ago, Takanuinuva said:
  Hide contents

You know I'm wondering. When Garmadon was cured of his evil back in the stone army season. Was that evil version of him sent to the departed realm? Meaning there are two dead Garmadons? Otherwise wouldn't bringing Garmadon back just bring back Sensei Garmadon?

Spoiler

The Oni Masks corrupted Garmadon's spirit to turn him back into Lord Garmadon.

26 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:
  Hide contents

The Oni Masks corrupted Garmadon's spirit to turn him back into Lord Garmadon.

Is that the canon explanation?

9 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Is that the canon explanation?

Well.. a second Garmadon hasn't mentioned yet. And the masks are called Hate, Deception, and Vengeance, sounds like corruptive qualities.

19 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Caught Episode 82, and . . 

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, this one rocked! We finally saw the Temple of Resurrection, and the reveal that it was in the Palace all along was brilliant! Also, the way the set's 'action feature' was repeated by the Temple roof collapsing in on itself was pretty sweet to see. The return of Misako (yay they didn't change her!) is pretty good, even though it wouldn't have been nice to see her not be a damsel. Here's hoping we get her in a set again soon. 

The summoning rite was hilariously overblown and totally awesome. It bugged me a bit that Harumi simply repeated the same three things over and over again for the first party, but that's a minor gripe at best. 

We finally saw the Katana VII . . I was hoping they'd use it for more . . . then again, the Ninja Nightcrawler apparently only existed for one day and then was never seen again . . .

And, finally . . hot damn. Lloyd's sure changing his tune. This is exciting. I wonder what it'll mean going forward?

There was a promo showing both vehicles in use later in the series.

Fun game for episode 83. Watch it and see just how many of your favorite movies it homages in it's scene setup and camera work. Overall a really great episode. With a lot of time spent with some of the long time supporting and background cast that we had not seen much of this season. 

Spoiler

Episode 83 was kickass. I love the way Garmadon characterised his resurrection - "I've worn many masks, but only one was brought back!" And Garmadon unlocking his own True Potential as a callback to the Ninjas unlocking theirs way back in 2012? It's official. Sons of Garmadon is hands down the best season to date! I can't wait for the finale!

My only (way minor) gripe is that they changed the inhabitants of the prison. During Skybound there was a mixture of loads of different previous mooks - the Giant Stone Warrior was particularly memorable - but this time, it was exclusively S.O.G. and I feel like this was a bit of a wasted opportunity to have, say, members of the Stone Army, or the Vermillion, sign on with the S.O.G. Like I said, though, minor.

For a second I thought the Sons of Garmadon were going to chant DESHI BASARA during the fight sequence :laugh:

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Hide contents

Episode 83 was kickass. I love the way Garmadon characterised his resurrection - "I've worn many masks, but only one was brought back!" And Garmadon unlocking his own True Potential as a callback to the Ninjas unlocking theirs way back in 2012? It's official. Sons of Garmadon is hands down the best season to date! I can't wait for the finale!

My only (way minor) gripe is that they changed the inhabitants of the prison. During Skybound there was a mixture of loads of different previous mooks - the Giant Stone Warrior was particularly memorable - but this time, it was exclusively S.O.G. and I feel like this was a bit of a wasted opportunity to have, say, members of the Stone Army, or the Vermillion, sign on with the S.O.G. Like I said, though, minor.

Spoiler

Yeah, I was wondering where the other prisoners were. It would be the perfect time to insert some past characters - however, I suspect this may be due to the change in animation models - in previous seasons they could reuse old models like the Skulkin and Stone Warrior, but here all the models have been revamped (We know this because the Sensei Wu flashbacks use a new model without a 3D mouth and Cole's original face model as seen in a flashback looked different), so it wouldn't make sense to redesign old models just for a quick cameo.

47 minutes ago, legozebra said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I was wondering where the other prisoners were. It would be the perfect time to insert some past characters - however, I suspect this may be due to the change in animation models - in previous seasons they could reuse old models like the Skulkin and Stone Warrior, but here all the models have been revamped (We know this because the Sensei Wu flashbacks use a new model without a 3D mouth and Cole's original face model as seen in a flashback looked different), so it wouldn't make sense to redesign old models just for a quick cameo.

Misako, Dareth, The Mechanic (episode 75), and the police chief were the same from previous seasons. They don't mind reusing old models.

The last time we saw The Mechanic he was behind bars, but he was in the first episode of the season. They probably all escaped at some point.

2 hours ago, Master_Data said:

Hide contents

Misako, Dareth, The Mechanic (episode 75), and the police chief were the same from previous seasons. They don't mind reusing old models.

The last time we saw The Mechanic he was behind bars, but he was in the first episode of the season. They probably all escaped at some point.

Setting up for 2019 and beyond, then? I can live with that. ^^

The finale is up! Love the lead in to the next season and splitting up the team. Can’t wait for S9...

Ok awesome episode. Non stop tension. Great Lloyd moments at the end. And a pretty good indication that Season 9 will give a bit more for the rest of the team to do. I mean really other than Zane’s magnificent episode the rest of the team has mainly been “and supporting cast” to the Lloyd show this season. (It also explains why there isn’t a Lloyd Dragon flyer set next release wave.) 

31 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

Ok awesome episode. Non stop tension. Great Lloyd moments at the end. And a pretty good indication that Season 9 will give a bit more for the rest of the team to do. I mean really other than Zane’s magnificent episode the rest of the team has mainly been “and supporting cast” to the Lloyd show this season. (It also explains why there isn’t a Lloyd Dragon flyer set next release wave.) 

Or a Nya one for that matter. Now then . .

Spoiler

This episode was amazing. Lloyd was just perfect this entire episode, especially with that last line. "You said the greatest villain was the one that got away. So what does that make me?"  

I have somewhat mixed feelings about that giant stone ronin or whatever it was; on the one hand, if was awesome, on the other . . it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity for a version of the Garma Mecha Man from the Movie to make an appearance. Cross-promotion and stuff. I mean, they reused the Movie!Bounty, so it would have been a possibility. 

And Toddler Wu was brilliant, with all his wisdom bleeding through. Hope he grows up more next season. 

Speaking of surprise good characters, Mystake has really grown on me this season. Now I want an official minifig of her almost as much as I want a reissue of Misako in an affordable set. 

Little disapponted that we probably won't find out more about Mr. E now, but I can deal. 

And the Bounty got destroyed . . again. I mean, this is the fourth time, so I'm a little desensitised to it at this point, but still. Gotta love that the Traveller's Tea dragged part of the destroyed Bounty with the core four into the Realm of Oni and Dragons. I could see the remnants of the Bounty becoming a sort of makeshift base of operations for the core four next season. So here's hoping they take that route. (Also, as a minor note for the sake of the toy line, I could see kids - and, admittedly, myself - simply removing the upper parts of the official Bounty for play use in this context and leaving the lower hull segment intact and put away somewhere. Can't help but wonder if that was intentional?)

But, finally, the big thing; the First Realm! We saw dragons! Woo-hoo! And this just makes it all the more likely that the 'villain group' of 'dragon hunters' are actually Oni, since it's now confirmed that only the core four and Baby Wu went to the First Realm. I wonder how and why Garmadon will follow them, though . .

Super hyped for Season 9!

Spoiler

I love this episode, and it explains the new outfits and next season's set-up, I did have a few gripes though but they are more nitpicking really as overall I really like this episode but they missed opportunity to use spinjistsu, cyclon-do (airjitsu) and elemental dragons, Lloyd especially could have used spin or air jitsu as they are not related to the elemental powers, also the could have lowered the gurney or the anchor on the bounty to rescue Lloyd. but overall great.:classic:

Spoiler

I also predicted them being sent to oni realm and needing to patch up their suits, not that ninjago is at predictable :wink:

12 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Or a Nya one for that matter. Now then . .

Hide contents

This episode was amazing. Lloyd was just perfect this entire episode, especially with that last line. "You said the greatest villain was the one that got away. So what does that make me?"  

I have somewhat mixed feelings about that giant stone ronin or whatever it was; on the one hand, if was awesome, on the other . . it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity for a version of the Garma Mecha Man from the Movie to make an appearance. Cross-promotion and stuff. I mean, they reused the Movie!Bounty, so it would have been a possibility. 

And Toddler Wu was brilliant, with all his wisdom bleeding through. Hope he grows up more next season. 

Speaking of surprise good characters, Mystake has really grown on me this season. Now I want an official minifig of her almost as much as I want a reissue of Misako in an affordable set. 

Little disapponted that we probably won't find out more about Mr. E now, but I can deal. 

And the Bounty got destroyed . . again. I mean, this is the fourth time, so I'm a little desensitised to it at this point, but still. Gotta love that the Traveller's Tea dragged part of the destroyed Bounty with the core four into the Realm of Oni and Dragons. I could see the remnants of the Bounty becoming a sort of makeshift base of operations for the core four next season. So here's hoping they take that route. (Also, as a minor note for the sake of the toy line, I could see kids - and, admittedly, myself - simply removing the upper parts of the official Bounty for play use in this context and leaving the lower hull segment intact and put away somewhere. Can't help but wonder if that was intentional?)

But, finally, the big thing; the First Realm! We saw dragons! Woo-hoo! And this just makes it all the more likely that the 'villain group' of 'dragon hunters' are actually Oni, since it's now confirmed that only the core four and Baby Wu went to the First Realm. I wonder how and why Garmadon will follow them, though . .

Super hyped for Season 9!

Apparently we discover Mr. E’s identity in season 9 according to TA - I’m guessing that’s something Nya and Lloyd deal with.

Also, OG Ninja Team is back! Super excited for season 9.

Is anyone else disappointed that we didn't see Hutchins again? I'm starting to think the S.O.G. might have actually killed him . . .

For a season finale, I felt it was pretty average, but then I realized I felt that it was more like a mid-season finale than a season finale. Season 9 is going to be so awesome!

Some thoughts:

Bringing Skylor back into the fold next season makes so much sense now! Maybe they'll completely reform the the second ninja team, especially since Nya actually remembers who they are. Oh, and Harumi thinks the ninja and Wu are dead, so I can totally see them returning during next season's last episode or two to take down Garmadon with the dragons.

I really enjoyed how the season ended just as it began - that parachute scene was really satisfying.

Just a little confused as to how the Season 9 villains could be the Oni as they were depicted as having long horns. Do any of the leaked minifigures have horns?

Edited by Master_Data

6 hours ago, Master_Data said:

For a season finale, I felt it was pretty average, but then I realized I felt that it was more like a mid-season finale than a season finale. Season 9 is going to be so awesome!

Some thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

Bringing Skylor back into the fold next season makes so much sense now! Maybe they'll completely reform the the second ninja team, especially since Nya actually remembers who they are. Oh, and Harumi thinks the ninja and Wu are dead, so I can totally see them returning during next season's last episode or two to take down Garmadon with the dragons.

I really enjoyed how the season ended just as it began - that parachute scene was really satisfying.

Just a little confused as to how the Season 9 villains could be the Oni as they were depicted as having long horns. Do any of the leaked minifigures have horns?

Spoiler

No, but they're all wearing hoods and hats so maybe the horns are under there. There's one with a mohawk without horns that appears to be female, but maybe female Oni just don't have horns.