Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

So just saw episode 79. Ummm? Wow! Just Wow! Without getting into spoilers it might be the most well crafted, well paced, action packed and cinematic episode of the show to date. No major things revealed beyond one that we all knew the answer to already. I don’t think I saw a single negative or even slow moment in the episode. An amazing emotional roller coaster. When you see it the biggest question you will still have is “why the holy hell didn’t they let these people make the movie!?!?” 

29 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

So just saw episode 79. Ummm? Wow! Just Wow! Without getting into spoilers it might be the most well crafted, well paced, action packed and cinematic episode of the show to date. No major things revealed beyond one that we all knew the answer to already. I don’t think I saw a single negative or even slow moment in the episode. An amazing emotional roller coaster. When you see it the biggest question you will still have is “why the holy hell didn’t they let these people make the movie!?!?” 

Absolutely agreed. I say this every season, but this really is the best looking season. They’ve taken Ninjago to a whole new level this time around and I absolutely love it. I don’t know a great deal about the cartoon scene at the moment, but I want to say that Ninjago is one of the best put together and cinematic cartoons out there. You honestly can’t lose.

Now, spoiler chat:

Spoiler

The beginning scene had me feeling all kinds of things. Seeing Zane’s near-lifeless body with his sacrifice theme playing in the background was a little too much, what an emotional punch. Also P.I.X.A.L’s reveal as Samurai X was perfect, the only way she would reveal her identity would be when the fate of her friends was in danger. Such a clever way to do it.

Edited by Tobias_Jay

Yeah, on top of the stunning visuals, the clever, deliberate and carefully crafted use of music in this episode was quite frankly astonishing. There is a musical moment near the beginning that will just leave long time fans shattered. This might actually be a reasonable contender for overall series best episode to date, just for how tightly woven and flawlessly executed it is. Just as the characters have grown up, aged and matured, particularly Lloyd, this is the show itself maturing to match them. The tone, the color pallets, the animation, the action. For the kids who started watching this at 9, this episode proves it can still engage them at 16. Or 35. Or 50. 

I loved the new episode. Visuals are brilliant, so much love for Zane as a character (something that, after seeing him in the movie, I will never take for granted again) and . . 

Spoiler

Pixal finally has a body again! And it only took fifty episodes. XD Still, seeing her take off her helmet to reveal that she somehow built her hair into it makes me hope that sometime soon, in a Battle Pack or something, we get a version of her with her wig. (She just had to be a fudging exclusive minifigure and I just had to be in a Dark Age through 2012-2014, grumble grumble.)

But, remember that trailer? With the really creepy little song that I think everyone assumed was being sung by Ultra Violet (I did, anyway) while the mechanical spider crept up on Nya? "The spiders in the house sleep, sleep. The spiders in the house sleep, deep. Don't wake up or else, you'll find a spider in your mouth . . ."

HARUMI WAS SINGING THAT LULLABY . . .

I really hope there's some other reason for this, but . . between this and the previous episode, where Harumi said she was going to 'do something useful' right before Violet got a call tipping her off about 'Snake Jaguar' . . it does not bode well for my lingering hopes that Harumi is, in fact, not the Quiet One . . .

Also I do hope they retrieved Zane's motorbike as well, and it was just off-camera, because the previous episode really seemed to imply that the Falcon's AI had been downloaded into the drone part of the bike, so it would really suck for it to be left behind . . .

3 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I loved the new episode. Visuals are brilliant, so much love for Zane as a character (something that, after seeing him in the movie, I will never take for granted again) and . . 

Hide contents

Pixal finally has a body again! And it only took fifty episodes. XD Still, seeing her take off her helmet to reveal that she somehow built her hair into it makes me hope that sometime soon, in a Battle Pack or something, we get a version of her with her wig. (She just had to be a fudging exclusive minifigure and I just had to be in a Dark Age through 2012-2014, grumble grumble.)

But, remember that trailer? With the really creepy little song that I think everyone assumed was being sung by Ultra Violet (I did, anyway) while the mechanical spider crept up on Nya? "The spiders in the house sleep, sleep. The spiders in the house sleep, deep. Don't wake up or else, you'll find a spider in your mouth . . ."

HARUMI WAS SINGING THAT LULLABY . . .

I really hope there's some other reason for this, but . . between this and the previous episode, where Harumi said she was going to 'do something useful' right before Violet got a call tipping her off about 'Snake Jaguar' . . it does not bode well for my lingering hopes that Harumi is, in fact, not the Quiet One . . .

Also I do hope they retrieved Zane's motorbike as well, and it was just off-camera, because the previous episode really seemed to imply that the Falcon's AI had been downloaded into the drone part of the bike, so it would really suck for it to be left behind . . .

Spoiler

I love that Pixel is back. Although a little disapointed that they used the same hair as Nya, just recolored silver. Previously Pixel used the Cavewoman hairpiece in light bluish grey. Other interesting part usage in the episode, that I hope makes its way into sets is Zane using Hawkeyes Bow.

Also regarding Harumi, you may be right. One of the first things I twigged on with the sets is her imperial regalia is using the same symbols as the Temple of Resurrection set. You know the place with all the dead skeletons in the basement that you use the three masks to bring back Garmadon? But that symbol, when finally seen up close on those window panels is interesting. It's a Dragon head with flaring around it that somewhat resembles traditional iconography for the Phoenix. Just as Lloyd is the Grandson of a mixed Dragon and Oni, I think Harumi is either a Dragon or a Phoenix. So there may be something else going on there. Harumi may very well be steering both sides to bring something together. I suspect that this story arc does not completely finish in season 8. Some preliminary pictures of Season 9, the Search for the Golden Dragon Master sets leaked out today. Very Dragon heavy. Harumi seems to appear in them. (2 green figures in a set, assume one Lloyd) Also there is a set Throne Room Showdown that involved Skylar (yay Skylar's back), Samurai X and someone blurry at the throne. 2 other sets have what looks like Ultra Violet.

They might do the Harumi turns evil thing and really break Lloyd's heart. But have in place an opposite type character to kid of bring him back. Chamile would be perfect. 

Also wandering into speculation as I rewatch the episodes. Have they been hiding another female Ninja candidate right in front of us all along. We obviously Have Nya, Skylar Pixel. Chamile once you figure out who she has to be and what her relationship to a main character is. (Chamile is the master of shape, The master of disguise. Jay is the master of Lightning. Jays Mother is the previous master of lightning. The ditsy blonde lady wanting to go on her honeymoon. Jay's father was the worlds finest actor, the master of disguise... the master of shape. So yeah, Jay has a sister and we;ve met her. She kinda hates Jay and Lloyd. More interesting is the other one that is really subtle. Have you noticed Dareth's Lady Friend? The one he keeps proposing to. The one in the always collor coded Lavender outfit. The reporter Gayle Gossip. "Gayle" as in Gayle force winds. Gossip, as in information carried with the wind. She's likely the new wind Ninja. The heir to Morro. 

Anyway just my meandering speculation

[/spoiler]

Edited by Faefrost

17 minutes ago, Faefrost said:
  Hide contents

I love that Pixel is back. Although a little disapointed that they used the same hair as Nya, just recolored silver. Previously Pixel used the Cavewoman hairpiece in light bluish grey. Other interesting part usage in the episode, that I hope makes its way into sets is Zane using Hawkeyes Bow.

Also regarding Harumi, you may be right. One of the first things I twigged on with the sets is her imperial regalia is using the same symbols as the Temple of Resurrection set. You know the place with all the dead skeletons in the basement that you use the three masks to bring back Garmadon? But that symbol, when finally seen up close on those window panels is interesting. It's a Dragon head with flaring around it that somewhat resembles traditional iconography for the Phoenix. Just as Lloyd is the Grandson of a mixed Dragon and Oni, I think Harumi is either a Dragon or a Phoenix. So there may be something else going on there. Harumi may very well be steering both sides to bring something together. I suspect that this story arc does not completely finish in season 8. Some preliminary pictures of Season 9, the Search for the Golden Dragon Master sets leaked out today. Very Dragon heavy. Harumi seems to appear in them. (2 green figures in a set, assume one Lloyd) Also there is a set Throne Room Showdown that involved Skylar (yay Skylar's back), Samurai X and someone blurry at the throne. 2 other sets have what looks like Ultra Violet.

They might do the Harumi turns evil thing and really break Lloyd's heart. But have in place an opposite type character to kid of bring him back. Chamile would be perfect. 

Also wandering into speculation as I rewatch the episodes. Have they been hiding another female Ninja candidate right in front of us all along. We obviously Have Nya, Skylar Pixel. Chamile once you figure out who she has to be and what her relationship to a main character is. (Chamile is the master of shape, The master of disguise. Jay is the master of Lightning. Jays Mother is the previous master of lightning. The ditsy blonde lady wanting to go on her honeymoon. Jay's father was the worlds finest actor, the master of disguise... the master of shape. So yeah, Jay has a sister and we;ve met her. She kinda hates Jay and Lloyd. More interesting is the other one that is really subtle. Have you noticed Dareth's Lady Friend? The one he keeps proposing to. The one in the always collor coded Lavender outfit. The reporter Gayle Gossip. "Gayle" as in Gayle force winds. Gossip, as in information carried with the wind. She's likely the new wind Ninja. The heir to Morro. 

Anyway just my meandering speculation

[/spoiler]

Uh . . . is there any confirmation for all, or even any of that? Because, as great as it would be for Harumi to be a dragon/phoenix hybrid or something, I can't see that as something they're likely to do, and since the series got something of a soft reboot, I'd be remarkably surprised if they revived a minor character from the pre-movie era of Ninjago like Chamille.

Yes, I also noticed that I never the Throne Room confrontation, the blurry person in the middle has white hair like Harumi, but styled differently, in what I think is Ginny Weasley hair. Which means; either Harumi gets an appearance change to reflect her turning evil, if she actually does turn evil, or this person is related to her. Maybe her mother? (She was adopted, after all.) Or maybe it's just a coincidence. After all, if we always based familail connections on hair colour, we would have spent 2012 wondering if Zane was Lloyd's long-lost brother. 

And who the heck is Gayle Gossip . . wait, the reporter lady who got Dareth to hold her camera once way back in 2013? When did he ever propose to her, or show any interest at all?

Besides, considering Morro died as a teenager, I somehow doubt he has an heir . . unless ghosts can get people pregnant. Can ghosts get people pregnant? . . . That is a question I could have lived my whole life without asking. 

Also, are you certain that Cliff Gordon actually is Jay's father? Because my takeaway from that whole event was that Nadakhan altered everyone's memory to make them think that he was, and that was undone when time was unwound. Of course, I could be wrong, but . . 

So, speculation is all good and well, but I think you're reading faaaar too much into this. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

The baby liked the Tea, Wu loves tea, last time we saw Wu he was lost the time vortex, so that seems to be pretty clear foreshadowing for Wu being the baby.

Rampant speculation but likely right, so maybe spoilery just to warn ya.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

The baby liked the Tea, Wu loves tea, last time we saw Wu he was lost the time vortex, so that seems to be pretty clear foreshadowing for Wu being the baby.

Rampant speculation but likely right, so maybe spoilery just to warn ya.

Spoiler

Well, considering Wu's voice actor primarily plays the baby...

Just now, Penkid11 said:
  Hide contents

Well, considering Wu's voice actor primarily plays the baby...

All but confirmed then.

13 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Also, are you certain that Cliff Gordon actually is Jay's father? Because my takeaway from that whole event was that Nadakhan altered everyone's memory to make them think that he was, and that was undone when time was unwound. Of course, I could be wrong, but . . 

We saw Jay's real mother in Hands of Time and she mentioned going on a honeymoon with Cliff Gordon. Nadakhan said he just revealed the truth.

What if Harumi for some reason wants to open a portal to the first realm, which is probably where season 9 takes place, my guess is Harumi is the Queen of the Oni/Dragon Hunters ( this is based on speculation from the Throne room set, where it looks like Pixal and Skylor are attacking Harumi and she has two Dragon hunter/ Oni fighting for her).

P.S. I would really like it if Pixal was able to change to look human like Zane, because it would be interesting to see what she would look like as a human.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Loved the callbacks to each of the unique ninja’s themes in this episode - Nya’s master of water theme, Zane’s sacrifice theme, etc all came together in a fantastic episode. I really enjoyed the use of elemental powers to help solve problems, and while the motivation behind PIXAL’s turn as Samurai X is a little threadbare (she wanted to hide her identity to protect her friends, but her only friends are Ninja and Cyrus Borg, who has an army of Nindroids protecting him), but the reveal itself was excellent. This was definitely the best episode of the season, and one of my favorites ever.

I think there is going to be some sort of twist towards the back half of the season. The SOG motives still seem unsure. The “Bwahahaha! They want to bring back Garmadon!” is that really what’s going on there? They actually seem rather well behaved for an evil biker gang cult. No casualties and minimal property damage outside of a rowdy karaoke night. Just some light targeted  theft. Most other villains have been a bit more villainous. Or am I missing something? 

20 hours ago, legozebra said:

Loved the callbacks to each of the unique ninja’s themes in this episode - Nya’s master of water theme, Zane’s sacrifice theme, etc all came together in a fantastic episode. I really enjoyed the use of elemental powers to help solve problems, and while the motivation behind PIXAL’s turn as Samurai X is a little threadbare (she wanted to hide her identity to protect her friends, but her only friends are Ninja and Cyrus Borg, who has an army of Nindroids protecting him), but the reveal itself was excellent. This was definitely the best episode of the season, and one of my favorites ever.

Spoiler

I think Pixel keeping Samurai X a secret was more than anything about Zane. And her guilty but understandable desire to want to get out of Zane’s head for awhile and just be her own independent self. Samurai X was a bit of freedom, a bit of privacy, a bit of recklessness, a guilty pleasure and a guilty secret. Something she had all to her self. A surprisingly human and humanizing thing for an AI robot girl. And something Zane seemed to immediately understand and empathize with once she was revealed. 

On 2/17/2018 at 6:16 PM, GarmaFan said:

We saw Jay's real mother in Hands of Time and she mentioned going on a honeymoon with Cliff Gordon. Nadakhan said he just revealed the truth.

That. Plus it can be reasonably inferred from the trophies and things in Gordon’s house that he was likely the prior Master of Shape. The Man of a Thousand faces if you will. Jay inherited his Mother’s power. Which raises some interesting questions about Chamile , no? 

Edited by Faefrost
Bad auto correct

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I think there is going to be some sort of twist towards the back half of the season. The SOG motives still seem unsure. The “Bwahahaha! They want to bring back Garmadon!” is that really what’s going on there? They actually seem rather well behaved for an evil biker gang cult. No casualties and minimal property damage outside of a rowdy karaoke night. Just some light targeted  theft. Most other villains have been a bit more villainous. Or am I missing something? 

Hide contents

I think Pixel keeping Samurai X a secret was more than anything about Zane. And her guilty but understandable desire to want to get out of Zane’s head for awhile and just be her own independent self. Samurai X was a bit of freedom, a bit of privacy, a bit of recklessness, a guilty pleasure and a guilty secret. Something she had all to her self. A surprisingly human and humanizing thing for an AI robot girl. And something Zane seemed to immediately understand and empathize with once she was revealed. 

{snorts} "AI robot girl". It's that kind of attitude towards mechanical people that leads to things like Ninjago Movie-Zane. Which was the absolute worst thing in a movie that was fifty percent terrible things.

But you have a point about the SOG. There has to be more to it. This season's writing has been too good for their motivation to be "We want Garmadon back because reasons,". Remember, we haven't even seen the last Mask yet. 

Gosh, the way people talk about the Ninjago Movie in this topic makes it sound like it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever...

Like, was I let down a bit by the Ninjago Movie? Yes. Did I still enjoy it? Also yes. I appreciated the sort of father-son narrative it focused on (which I feel like it handled much better than the TV series). The characters, while not all particularly well-developed, were likeable. The humor was fantastic. The visuals were stunning. All in all it was a pretty solid kids movie—it just wasn't as exceptional as the previous two Lego movies had led us to expect.

And it's not like the TV series itself is flawless, either. At its best, it's great, but there have been a number of points that fall pretty far short of its best (Wrong Place, Wrong Time, anyone?). The voice actors for the main characters are much less diverse. The plot can be convoluted and often downright silly, sometimes severely undercutting the genuine emotion (my appreciation of Zane's emotional sacrifice scene in season 3, for instance, is always undercut by the knowledge that it only became necessary because their ridiculous original plan, to pitch a shrinking diet pill into the Overlord's mouth, was thwarted).

This isn't a situation like, say, The Last Airbender where one of the best animated series in a generation gets adapted in a way that almost universally makes things worse. This is a case where a TV series based on a Lego toyline got adapted, and they decided to change some things up with mixed results. It's not the end of the world and it's pretty far from even the end of the theme.

4 hours ago, Dardanel said:

Some interesting info from Tommy Andreasen:

Looks like S9 starts right where S8 ends after all.

I think it's been pretty clear that S8 and S9 are strongly interconnected. Just going by their appearances such as skin color and markings it looks like Ultra Violet and Killow are from the same people as the S9 villains. Dragon Hunters? 

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Gosh, the way people talk about the Ninjago Movie in this topic makes it sound like it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever...

Like, was I let down a bit by the Ninjago Movie? Yes. Did I still enjoy it? Also yes. I appreciated the sort of father-son narrative it focused on (which I feel like it handled much better than the TV series). The characters, while not all particularly well-developed, were likeable. The humor was fantastic. The visuals were stunning. All in all it was a pretty solid kids movie—it just wasn't as exceptional as the previous two Lego movies had led us to expect.

It probably is better than I give it credit for ,though most of the humor was very Marmite I for one hated the ultimate video mash up clip thing, but will admit I liked Movie Garmadon.

Its not that what the film disappointed more it is about what the film was not that disappointed me.

This isn't a situation like, say, The Last Airbender where one of the best animated series in a generation gets adapted in a way that almost universally makes things worse. This is a case where a TV series based on a Lego toyline got adapted, and they decided to change some things up with mixed results. It's not the end of the world and it's pretty far from even the end of the theme.

That was a better situation, because ( I need to use a generic member of society lets so call them Gene Erics ) when Gene hears about the last Airbender they think of the cartoon not the live action, but Gene hadn't heard of ninjago before the movie and so when they hear ninjago they're think of the movie. 

Sorry this may be a little off topic. 

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And it's not like the TV series itself is flawless, either. At its best, it's great, but there have been a number of points that fall pretty far short of its best (Wrong Place, Wrong Time, anyone?). The voice actors for the main characters are much less diverse. The plot can be convoluted and often downright silly, sometimes severely undercutting the genuine emotion (my appreciation of Zane's emotional sacrifice scene in season 3, for instance, is always undercut by the knowledge that it only became necessary because their ridiculous original plan, to pitch a shrinking diet pill into the Overlord's mouth, was thwarted).

It’s not that the movie had no redeeming qualities. Just that virtually none of the redeeming qualities can be found in the story, characters, character arcs and character interpretation and performance, in the movie. (Ok I’ll give you Movie Garmadon was kind of fun.) It was visually stunning and the music was fantastic. As for “diversity of Voice cast”? The movie had a greater breadth of voice cast. Which is normal. A tv show tends to rely on a dependable pool of contract actors each doing multiple roles. Movies can afford to cast each spoken part individually. But diversity? I’m not sure that that’s the right word for it. I mean yeah they brought in Jackie Chan to play Wu (I will admit I love Jackie Chan but largely hated his mean spirited take on Wu.) But they replaced the Asian Voice actor who voices the one clearly identifiable Asian Main character, Kai, with the annoying comic relief Mexican guy from Ant Man... because diversity? 

Edited by Faefrost
Garmadon

9 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I think it's been pretty clear that S8 and S9 are strongly interconnected. Just going by their appearances such as skin color and markings it looks like Ultra Violet and Killow are from the same people as the S9 villains. Dragon Hunters? 

Pretty sure Killow and Ultra Violet are just normal humans with body paint... and swole in Killow's case. The fingers are another thing, but the characters are flesh and blood humans in all but appearance anyway so maybe everyone has fingers but we don't see it? 

2 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Pretty sure Killow and Ultra Violet are just normal humans with body paint... and swole in Killow's case. The fingers are another thing, but the characters are flesh and blood humans in all but appearance anyway so maybe everyone has fingers but we don't see it? 

"Swole"?

Personally, I think Killow is wearing some kind of fat suit exoskeleton. Which is why his head is so disproportionately small. 

First thoughts on Episode 80. Whoever is doing the fight choreography this season deserves a raise. 

Episode 80 is up! Some really fun character moments, fight choreography, and man, that twist was quite well done!

Loved how Harumi was really played as the femme fatale in this case - I’m guessing her whole character and giving out food to the homeless was all an act. Her motivations still are unclear though - why would she want Garmadon back? My only theory is that, because she was adopted, she might be actually be Garmadon’s daughter, aka Lloyd’s sister. Now that double twist would be really exciting!

11 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Episode 80 is up! Some really fun character moments, fight choreography, and man, that twist was quite well done!

Hide contents

Loved how Harumi was really played as the femme fatale in this case - I’m guessing her whole character and giving out food to the homeless was all an act. Her motivations still are unclear though - why would she want Garmadon back? My only theory is that, because she was adopted, she might be actually be Garmadon’s daughter, aka Lloyd’s sister. Now that double twist would be really exciting!

Hmmm? 

Spoiler

Lot’s of question about Harumi this episode. (Yeah LuhLoyd, if your girlfriend is constantly singing that creepy spider song, she might just have a few “issues” just saying. ) 

the Harumi as Lloyd’s sister theory is interesting. But still raises more questions than it answers. If anything I could more see her as Wu’s daughter. The white blonde hair would make sense then. It might explain why SOG had baby Wu. 

other than Nya has Lloyd ever met a woman that hasn’t abandoned him, or tried to kill him or similar. Dude might be starting to get a bit of a complex there? Oh wait Nya went evil and tried to kill him during the Stone Army season. So he’s batting 1000! Can’t wait till he hits college!