Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

Major spoilers for episode 77:

Spoiler

Mistake’s story of The First Realm has me nerding out. I always had a fan theory that the FSM isn’t human, subsequently Wu and Garmadon aren’t either. So the fact they are Oni and Dragon pleases and intrigues me. The episode overall was quite enjoyable, not quite as action-packed as the last two, but very exposition heavy, which I appreciate. Intrigued as to how Zane’s mission undercover will go. I wonder if the next episode will be purely focused on him?

Enjoyed Episode 77, although the humor felt off in a few places and it tended to drag out smaller moments, unlike previous fast-paced episodes. Harumi didn’t have much to do this episode, and I’m hoping she doesn’t fade into the background as the ninja go out and fight the SoG. Looking forward to the next episode though - Zane as a ruthless undercover agent is quite the exciting premise!

Spoiler

New episode was great. Garry Chalk does a fantastic job as Killow. Also it appears that Killow is higher in ranking than Mr. E? I feel that the episode didn’t do enough to hide the identity of the Quiet One. I was hoping the imminent reveal would be a bit more surprising but now I feel they didn’t do enough Mask the secret identity.

Is anyone hearing any word of whether we'll see episode 80 soon? In the past we’ve known two weeks in advance on episodes but I’ve not seen anything.

29 minutes ago, Tobias_Jay said:
  Hide contents

New episode was great. Garry Chalk does a fantastic job as Killow. Also it appears that Killow is higher in ranking than Mr. E? I feel that the episode didn’t do enough to hide the identity of the Quiet One. I was hoping the imminent reveal would be a bit more surprising but now I feel they didn’t do enough Mask the secret identity.

Is anyone hearing any word of whether we'll see episode 80 soon? In the past we’ve known two weeks in advance on episodes but I’ve not seen anything.

To my knowledge the episodes fall Friday night/Saturday morning every week, as there’s no evidence to suggest otherwise - so 79 comes next week and 80 the week after.

On 01/02/2018 at 2:18 AM, legozebra said:

Regarding the Weekend Whip intro - Tommy Andreasen mentioned the more somber/dark intro will make sense by episode 5, where a fun pop song wouldn’t fit the dark story. I’m hoping the payoff to this will be sweet...

Well, episode 5 is up next week. I'm getting shivers . . 

1 hour ago, Tobias_Jay said:
  Hide contents

It does seem like Killow has more authority than Mr. E and Ultra Violet. 

Speaking of Mr. E and the Quiet One . . 

Spoiler

Where does the reveal that Mr. E is a Nindroid put the theory that either he or the Quiet One is the Overlord? It's possible that whatever remained of the Overlord could have inhabited a leftover Nindroid body and laid low for a while, right? Personally, I'm still mostly certain that Hutchins is the Quiet One . . but, even so. 

Hey, wait. If Mr. E's a robot, how could he use the Oni Mask's powers? Did he grow two extra robot arms?

On 2/2/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tobias_Jay said:

Major spoilers for episode 77:

Hide contents

Mistake’s story of The First Realm has me nerding out. I always had a fan theory that the FSM isn’t human, subsequently Wu and Garmadon aren’t either. So the fact they are Oni and Dragon pleases and intrigues me. The episode overall was quite enjoyable, not quite as action-packed as the last two, but very exposition heavy, which I appreciate. Intrigued as to how Zane’s mission undercover will go. I wonder if the next episode will be purely focused on him?

And that follows some classic eastern myths pretty closely. Often in such myths the "First Emperor" is similarly the son of the Oni and the Dragon or similar. 

Just caught episode 77. The Set makes a lot more sense now. Very good episode, with lots of development for Zane and Cole.

So it looks like Killow, Mr. E and Ultra Violet are a trio of Captains with the Quiet one in charge. I know it seemed Killow was over Mr. E, but that seemed more a matter of each's domain within the organization. Killow was in charge of recruits. Mr E brought him one. Killow expected Mr. E to clean up the mess. 

Some interesting things that caught my eye. Mr E is a Nindroid! I know some speculated Pixel, but that makes no sense. I'm betting Cryptor or a unknown prototype. Not Echo Zane but something else. 

Also on a side note, I finally wayched all of the Hands of Time. Good season. But I noticed something that I had missed in earlier episodes. Young Wu has Blonde hair. Young Garmadon has Dark hair. Misako seemingly has medium brown hair. And Lloyd is clearly blonde... hmmm?

Cant wait to get episode 78. I'm loving how fast this season moves. There is no down time. Each episode takles place immediately after the last, giving it an almost 24 like feel. 

50 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

Just caught episode 77. The Set makes a lot more sense now. Very good episode, with lots of development for Zane and Cole.

Reveal hidden contents

So it looks like Killow, Mr. E and Ultra Violet are a trio of Captains with the Quiet one in charge. I know it seemed Killow was over Mr. E, but that seemed more a matter of each's domain within the organization. Killow was in charge of recruits. Mr E brought him one. Killow expected Mr. E to clean up the mess. 

Some interesting things that caught my eye. Mr E is a Nindroid! I know some speculated Pixel, but that makes no sense. I'm betting Cryptor or a unknown prototype. Not Echo Zane but something else. 

Also on a side note, I finally wayched all of the Hands of Time. Good season. But I noticed something that I had missed in earlier episodes. Young Wu has Blonde hair. Young Garmadon has Dark hair. Misako seemingly has medium brown hair. And Lloyd is clearly blonde... hmmm?

Cant wait to get episode 78. I'm loving how fast this season moves. There is no down time. Each episode takles place immediately after the last, giving it an almost 24 like feel. 

You call that sense? I'm not seeing it. The in-show version had no spinning saw blades, no whirling hammers, and that giant tyre is a stretch, at best. That said, I do like the motorbike. And the giant doors are pretty good, while the prison cell area . . isn't incredibly accurate, but it was there. (Just wish they'd put a door piece there instead of standard bars.)

However, you are right about the good character development for Zane and Cole. I was worried that it would be a Lloydfest like the movie was, but no fear. :)

Still, they should have at least put a dartboard somewhere in there, if not the pool table. Would that be so much to ask for? -.- I'm definitely adding in a 'S.O.G. Downtime' area beyond the doors when I get mine, including a dartboard, a pool table and a den for Killow. Even if he can't sit in it. XD

Edited by Feng-huang0296

2 hours ago, Faefrost said:

And that follows some classic eastern myths pretty closely. Often in such myths the "First Emperor" is similarly the son of the Oni and the Dragon or similar. 

It’s the little things like this that make appreciate this show so much more.

6 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Speaking of Mr. E and the Quiet One . . 

Hide contents

Where does the reveal that Mr. E is a Nindroid put the theory that either he or the Quiet One is the Overlord? It's possible that whatever remained of the Overlord could have inhabited a leftover Nindroid body and laid low for a while, right? Personally, I'm still mostly certain that Hutchins is the Quiet One . . but, even so. 

Hey, wait. If Mr. E's a robot, how could he use the Oni Mask's powers? Did he grow two extra robot arms?

Spoiler

I think one thing this last episode confirmed is that Mr. E is not the Quiet One, regardless of previous belief. But it definitely laid ground for solid guesswork as to who is... Unless I'm mistaken, this was the first episode to make mention of the Quiet One anyway.

The theory that the Overlord virus inhabited a discarded Nindroid (or even built his own body and inhabited it as Zane did) after being defeated is what I’m going with for now until told otherwise. This rivalry of Zane and Mr. E seems to indicate that. However the idea the Overlord would take orders from anyone doesn’t add up... I just don’t know.

This is what I’m enjoying most about this season, so much room for guesswork. Maybe its because so little has been spoiled for me. 

And yes, I agree that we haven’t seen the last of Hutchins...

8 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

You call that sense? I'm not seeing it. The in-show version had no spinning saw blades, no whirling hammers, and that giant tyre is a stretch, at best. That said, I do like the motorbike. And the giant doors are pretty good, while the prison cell area . . isn't incredibly accurate, but it was there. (Just wish they'd put a door piece there instead of standard bars.)

However, you are right about the good character development for Zane and Cole. I was worried that it would be a Lloydfest like the movie was, but no fear. :)

Still, they should have at least put a dartboard somewhere in there, if not the pool table. Would that be so much to ask for? -.- I'm definitely adding in a 'S.O.G. Downtime' area beyond the doors when I get mine, including a dartboard, a pool table and a den for Killow. Even if he can't sit in it. XD

I meant the Street Race Of Snake Jaguar set, 

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

I meant the Street Race Of Snake Jaguar set, 

Oh. Right. Heh . . yeah. Thought you were referring to S.O.G. HQ.

Thouhg, speaking of Street Race of Snake Jaguar, I'm kind of disappointed that Zane's bike only lasted for one episode. I mean, they could rebuild it, but they usually don't with stuff like that. (Still, I love how they actually take the time to show vehicles being destroyed now, so there's no more questions like "What happened to the Ultra Sonic Raider?" Now, if we can just get a retroactive explanation to why no one's heard from the Ultra Dragon or the elemental blades  since 2013, then I'll be content.)

20 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Oh. Right. Heh . . yeah. Thought you were referring to S.O.G. HQ.

Thouhg, speaking of Street Race of Snake Jaguar, I'm kind of disappointed that Zane's bike only lasted for one episode. I mean, they could rebuild it, but they usually don't with stuff like that. (Still, I love how they actually take the time to show vehicles being destroyed now, so there's no more questions like "What happened to the Ultra Sonic Raider?" Now, if we can just get a retroactive explanation to why no one's heard from the Ultra Dragon or the elemental blades  since 2013, then I'll be content.)

Well, according to Tommy Andreasen, the Ultra Dragon took the Elemental Blazes to the Spirit Coves... for some reason. I hope they at least get a mention in next season’s Dragon-heavy storyline. Dragon hilts are used in next wave’s sets, so I’m hoping there will be at least references to them.

15 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Well, according to Tommy Andreasen, the Ultra Dragon took the Elemental Blazes to the Spirit Coves... for some reason. I hope they at least get a mention in next season’s Dragon-heavy storyline. Dragon hilts are used in next wave’s sets, so I’m hoping there will be at least references to them.

(I'm the guy who discovered the dragon head hilts. You don't need to tell me.)

I hope we get an updated Ultra Dragon sometime. Maybe 2019? Because I was in a Dark Age for most of 2012-2014, and missed the first version. 

4 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

(I'm the guy who discovered the dragon head hilts. You don't need to tell me.)

I hope we get an updated Ultra Dragon sometime. Maybe 2019? Because I was in a Dark Age for most of 2012-2014, and missed the first version. 

Set wise you didn’t really miss that much. The Ultradragon was more of a statue. Not a lot of movement to it. 

Slightly off topic, but you know what I'd really like to see at some point? An official timeline for the history of Ninjago. Because there are some things that don't add up all that well. 

Hands of Time was good in this regard; it gave us a concrete date for the time of the Serpentine War; a bit over forty years before the beginning of the series. This is a timeframe that makes sense; it explains why Pythor could have been one of the Anacondrai originally sealed in the tomb and still be alive in the present day, and how Skales and Fangtom could know each other. 

But Acronix cited the Destiny's Bounty as being two hundred years old. Let's not get into how he could possibly have recognised the Bounty, given the original Bounty was destroyed on the Dark Island and the one he saw was the Bounty 2.0, which bore noticeable differences to the original, not to mention that he also stated it was legendary partly because it could fly, when it only gained that ability after Jay upgraded it. 

So that has to mean that Captain Soto, as well as Nadakhan, and their respective crews, lived two hundred years ago. So how is it that the members of Nadakhan's crew lived in the alternate realms for two hundred years without dying of old age?

And now it's revealed that the First Spinjitzu Master left the First Realm to create Ninjago. But for piracy to have emerged, there had to be civilisation, an economy, and that takes time to be put together. Unless the First Spinjitzu Master created the world as though it had already been going for some time? And then, apparently, he lived long enough to father two sons at just the right time for them to grow to become old me now in the modern era, before apparently dying. So how old was he? Two hundred? Three hundred? And why did he suddenly kick the bucket? Assuming that actually was his skeleton in the tomb in Possession, he didn't look like he'd died in a fight. 

I really hope some of this gets made clear later in the SOG arc, or the still-unnamed one that comes after it this summer. 

Loved that episode.  This is a solid season, takes me back to 2012. 

I like that they're tying up loose ends like the FSM's origins. The animation is amazing too, I love how Ninjago City looks.

8 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Slightly off topic, but you know what I'd really like to see at some point? An official timeline for the history of Ninjago. Because there are some things that don't add up all that well. 

Hands of Time was good in this regard; it gave us a concrete date for the time of the Serpentine War; a bit over forty years before the beginning of the series. This is a timeframe that makes sense; it explains why Pythor could have been one of the Anacondrai originally sealed in the tomb and still be alive in the present day, and how Skales and Fangtom could know each other. 

But Acronix cited the Destiny's Bounty as being two hundred years old. Let's not get into how he could possibly have recognised the Bounty, given the original Bounty was destroyed on the Dark Island and the one he saw was the Bounty 2.0, which bore noticeable differences to the original, not to mention that he also stated it was legendary partly because it could fly, when it only gained that ability after Jay upgraded it. 

So that has to mean that Captain Soto, as well as Nadakhan, and their respective crews, lived two hundred years ago. So how is it that the members of Nadakhan's crew lived in the alternate realms for two hundred years without dying of old age?

And now it's revealed that the First Spinjitzu Master left the First Realm to create Ninjago. But for piracy to have emerged, there had to be civilisation, an economy, and that takes time to be put together. Unless the First Spinjitzu Master created the world as though it had already been going for some time? And then, apparently, he lived long enough to father two sons at just the right time for them to grow to become old me now in the modern era, before apparently dying. So how old was he? Two hundred? Three hundred? And why did he suddenly kick the bucket? Assuming that actually was his skeleton in the tomb in Possession, he didn't look like he'd died in a fight. 

I really hope some of this gets made clear later in the SOG arc, or the still-unnamed one that comes after it this summer. 

There's a good chance atleast some of this will be answered in the remaining episodes. And since they're setting up next season, it could be answered there instead

On 2/11/2018 at 7:29 PM, Faefrost said:

Set wise you didn’t really miss that much. The Ultradragon was more of a statue. Not a lot of movement to it.

I dunno, I thought its wing-flapping function was a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind either getting as a set or MOCing a re-imagined Ultra Dragon, though, given how beautifully some of the other builds from that year (Destiny's Bounty and Ultra Sonic Raider) have been re-imagined, and how much Ninjago dragon design has advanced since then.

Edited by Aanchir

On 2/12/2018 at 7:06 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

-Well.. it looks similar.. maybe the Bounty was a unique enough ship that it could be recognized despite the adjustments? And Acronix would have only seen illustrations of it considering it's before his time. Acronix didn't say it was legendary, he just says "a 200 year old flying pirate ship". Which can either be taken to mean "THAT flying pirate ship" or "THAT pirate ship.. that's flying?"

-According to the creators, time flowed differently in the other realms everyone else was sent. Somehow conveniently enough that everyone looks the same. 

-The Overlord said he had been forming plans for "thousands of years" in episode 25, so about that old. 

Edited by GarmaFan

3 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

-Well.. it looks similar.. maybe the Bounty was a unique enough ship that it could be recognized despite the adjustments? And Acronix would have only seen illustrations of it considering it's before his time. Acronix didn't say it was legendary, he just says "a 200 year old flying pirate ship". Which can either be taken to mean "THAT flying pirate ship" or "THAT pirate ship.. that's flying?"

-According to the creators, time flowed differently in the other realms everyone else was sent. Somehow conveniently enough that everyone looks the same. 

-The Overlord said he had been forming plans for "thousands of years" in episode 25, so about that old. 

That makes . . a certain degree of sense . . 

Except the thousands of years part. Because I really jus really makes it even more suspect as to why the First Spinjitzu Master suddenly dropped dead . . wait . . unless he never died? There's not necessarily any evidence to suggest that the skeleton in his tomb actually was him. Now that I think about it, that skeleton was just lying against a rock in the bottom room. You'd think there'd be a dais, a big glass case, magic, eternally lit torches, at the very least a coffin. Yeah, now that I think about it I don't think that was the First Spinjitzu Master, just some hapless adventurer who went down there in pursuit of the Realm Crystal, got trapped and died of starvation. Which means that the First Spinjitzu Master might still be alive!

On 2/12/2018 at 11:06 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

I’d say having the origins the First Spinjitzu Master has would give a man special abilities, like a longer lifespan, maybe even immortality. The First Spinjitzu Master probably did live to be around 300 years old. The age of piracy is said to have started around the time of the Stone Wars (see Skybound) which is said to have been an ongoing battle starting after Ninjago was created. Why he died though, could be that he chose to, because he knew the world would be in good hands with Wu at least. Or maybe he lost his gift of immortality fathering Wu and Garmadon. It is known that Elemental Masters lose their powers after their children inherit them. Perhaps he sacrificed his abilities for them to be seen in Wu and Garmadon. The tomb of the First Spinjitzu Master strikes me as a place he created himself as ‘a place to die’, what with the statues and the very clearly manufactured ‘tests’. I get the impression that he travelled there, laid to rest with the Realm Crystal in hand and passed on. But that’s just my theory. I doubt we’ll get much more concrete information, unless season 9 is in fact about travelling to the First Realm. But for now it’s just fun to theorise together :)

Edited by Tobias_Jay

15 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

That makes . . a certain degree of sense . . 

Except the thousands of years part. Because I really jus really makes it even more suspect as to why the First Spinjitzu Master suddenly dropped dead . . wait . . unless he never died? There's not necessarily any evidence to suggest that the skeleton in his tomb actually was him. Now that I think about it, that skeleton was just lying against a rock in the bottom room. You'd think there'd be a dais, a big glass case, magic, eternally lit torches, at the very least a coffin. Yeah, now that I think about it I don't think that was the First Spinjitzu Master, just some hapless adventurer who went down there in pursuit of the Realm Crystal, got trapped and died of starvation. Which means that the First Spinjitzu Master might still be alive!

It's not as extravagant as you'd expect from the resting place of a god, but it's not like a random spot in a cave like Morro's was. It's definitely marked with significance. In fact.. I think that is what you'd call a dais?

image.png.6b6d1f893a8e52623fa775a86c42efb6.png

And.. it's implied he built the tomb himself, and the idea of him hopping into a coffin and politely closing it before he died is a little silly... even if that's metaphorically what he did anyway heh, talk about digging your own grave

I mean, it's by a waterfall, doesn't look that comfortable a spot, but it's a peaceful sight.

46 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

It's not as extravagant as you'd expect from the resting place of a god, but it's not like a random spot in a cave like Morro's was. It's definitely marked with significance. In fact.. I think that is what you'd call a dais?

image.png.6b6d1f893a8e52623fa775a86c42efb6.png

And.. it's implied he built the tomb himself, and the idea of him hopping into a coffin and politely closing it before he died is a little silly... even if that's metaphorically what he did anyway heh, talk about digging your own grave

I mean, it's by a waterfall, doesn't look that comfortable a spot, but it's a peaceful sight.

. . That's a dais? I thought it was just a random rock formation . . but, now that you mention it, it does look somewhat shaped . . huh.