Lance

Ninjago: Masters Of Spinjitsu TV Show Thread

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

To be honest, I don't really see a need to explain the changes beyond "they look better". The ninja's designs in the movie fit their personalities in the show really well as far as I'm concerned—in Jay's case, arguably better than his original appearance, which always struck me as a little too cool and serious-looking for a nerdy jokester like him. As for Kai's scar, it may be an inconsistency in the sets—but in the show, where he never had the scar and always looked more generic for it, it's a total non-issue.

I'd prefer if they just said the ninjas were updated. I don't think the redesigns have to be explained necessarily, I'm more annoyed that the excuse they go with is that they're "growing up" when they're not (besides Lloyd) and everyone just buys it and comes up with semi realistic explanations that are just.. slightly reaching in a show that runs on Rule of Cool

Tom Anderson has been taking so much hate for the changes. He also posted a poll asking which garmadon people wanted to see return if he did return. One of the options was a silly garmadon like the movie.... On another note according to set leaks Cole might not have his scar anymore

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Tom Anderson has been taking so much hate for the changes. He also posted a poll asking which garmadon people wanted to see return if he did return. One of the options was a silly garmadon like the movie.... On another note according to set leaks Cole might not have his scar anymore

To be honest I voted for silly Garmadon. One of the things I loved about the movie's portrayal of him was how similar his portrayal was to one of my favorite moments in the series (Garmadon as temperamental leader, as seen when he was soliciting ideas from the Serpentine). I feel like the movie did a slightly better job of balancing that with the tragic elements of the character—in the series, his evil in the latter half of the second season seemed forced, whereas in the movie both the humor and tragedy of the character manifested as him being a volatile, reckless character who was afraid of change.

Edited by Lyichir

21 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I thought funny Garmadon was Season 2 Garmadon.

A bit of interesting news - you can watch a special recap "season" on the Cartoon Network app right now! (provided you live in the US or know how to use a VPN) There are 10 episodes in total, and each covers a specific topic. The episodes are edited really well, and are quite fun to watch. There is additional content as well, which kind of messes with the current continuity introducing some new stuff and ideas. According to Tommy Andreasen, one of the creators of Ninjago, he's not sure whether these episodes are canon :D In any case, you can read a short synopsis of the episodes here:

https://bricksamurai.com/ninjago-decoded-recap-episodes-cartoon-network/

A preview for Sons of Garmadon has been posted - apparently it was sent out to reviewers.

Ignoring the awful cam job, it's shaping up to be a pretty good season - I'm excited to see where we go from here. There are some mild spoilers (mostly the ones concerning why their looks change) so proceed with caution.

Spoiler

I'm not sure how much I like the whole time travel explanation. If anything, I wish it happened after Hands of Time - if they had better coordination, they could have changed appearances at the end of the season, or something like that. I wonder if Misako will change as well...

They don't look that different honestly. The new suits have been a thing every new season. And they could have easily just changed there hairstyles. The changes are a-ok in my book.

3 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

They don't look that different honestly. The new suits have been a thing every new season. And they could have easily just changed there hairstyles. The changes are a-ok in my book.

Yup - I’m totally cool with it; the new hairstyles look awesome in the show and if anything, their eyebrows are more distinctive under the masks

The term we are looking for is not "time-travel."

The term we are looking for is "time-jump."

One is a fictional, unnatural phenomenon, whereas the other is a plot/narrative device.

4 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

One is a fictional, unnatural phenomenon, whereas the other is a plot/narrative device.

Except in the clip they directly attributed their change in looks due to messing around with time travel in the past and not a time jump into the future as we all previously speculated.

Edited by legozebra

3 hours ago, legozebra said:

Except in the clip they directly attributed their change in looks due to messing around with time travel in the past and not a time jump into the future as we all previously speculated.

Well.. they're not really "directly" talking about their changes because, as Cole says, they wouldn't even be aware they had changed, and they aren't.

29 minutes ago, Dardanel said:

I think it's just a tongue-in-cheek explanation. Hopefully, they stick to the "growing up" version.

It's a tongue-in-cheek explanation, but an explanation nonetheless. Besides, it's only been one year and they're still just teenagers, and "time travel mumbo jumbo" covers the weirder things like Jay's hair changing color, or their new face details. And the future reflections, which are clearly their original designs aged up. 

8 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Did you look at the sneak peek?

Edited by GarmaFan

8 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

It's a tongue-in-cheek explanation, but an explanation nonetheless. Besides, it's only been one year and they're still just teenagers, and "time travel mumbo jumbo" covers the weirder things like Jay's hair changing color, or their new face details. And the future reflections, which are clearly their original designs aged up. 

They're teenagers? That never would have even crossed my mind, it started with Kia as a blacksmith and later on they are all teachers, like if they are teenagers then 17 is the youngest they could be right?.

Or like is it actually cannon that they're mid-teens?

Oh... we forgot that the producers mentioned it was a time jump it seems ("...it's been a year..." -Cole).

Yeah, Jay's comment makes the time-travel bit more of a "what if?", and it's been made pretty clear that the designs aren't changing.

That and the fact they're still teenagers is kinda like Ash, the main character from Pokemon. Sure it's been 20 something years, but he's still 10. I guess all of his adventures could've just taken place over the course of a year, though I feel NINJAGO's story would fit better in a year as a whole in comparison (though technically we've been over three years so far of time at the minimum).

Edited by Penkid11

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

They're teenagers? That never would have even crossed my mind, it started with Kia as a blacksmith and later on they are all teachers, like if they are teenagers then 17 is the youngest they could be right?.

The creators and writers would rather not discuss age (as me and a lot of other people learned the hard way), and there is no real solid explanation they have going for that. They just want it to be, something like how Batman's been going on for decades, but still looks the same, something like that.
Though now the Hageman Brothers and Tommy Andreasen have mentioned the ninja "growing up" when talking about the new looks, in one way or another, a couple of times each, so I think they've accepted the ninja growing older now. And with such radical changes to their look, you could argue that the only explanation canonically was that it took time. 

On 12/11/2017 at 11:56 AM, legozebra said:

Ignoring the awful cam job

That's not the original video, I think someone just recorded over the high quality one, of which there are a couple copies of:

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Logically they'd have been in their mid-teens in the beginning and late teens now.

Edited by GarmaFan

1 hour ago, gamejutzu said:

Though now the Hageman Brothers and Tommy Andreasen have mentioned the ninja "growing up" when talking about the new looks, in one way or another, a couple of times each, so I think they've accepted the ninja growing older now. And with such radical changes to their look, you could argue that the only explanation canonically was that it took time. 

Or.. it could be because of time travel. Hair is fine, but the more drastic things can be time travel.

But, it doesn't have to because of them literally being older. Time travel can be the in-universe explanation, but their design changes can represent the show and characters being a bit more mature.

3 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Yeah, Jay's comment makes the time-travel bit more of a "what if?", and it's been made pretty clear that the designs aren't changing.

Jay's comment is supposed to be a joke that they have changed and Cole is right, but neither of them can actually know that. You mean that the designs are changing, or that they "aren't"?

Personally I just think time travel is a smoother way of explaining it away. "Change one thing, change everything". 

We know what the ninja are supposed to look when they're older (reflections, Old Man Lloyd), and "they had makeovers but then changed back" just sounds clunky over "time has literally been altered". 

4 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Jay's comment is supposed to be a joke that they have changed and Cole is right, but neither of them can actually know that. You mean that the designs are changing, or that they "aren't"?

Personally I just think time travel is a smoother way of explaining it away. "Change one thing, change everything". 

We know what the ninja are supposed to look when they're older (reflections, Old Man Lloyd), and "they had makeovers but then changed back" just sounds clunky over "time has literally been altered". 

The new designs won't change back.

Time travel is the bumpy road. Saying they're a year older is the smoother way of explaining it away.

Who's to say they won't look like that when they're older? These are the same characters, are they not? Who says we will reach that day in the series? Who says that those designs are even concrete, seeing as Cole is going to stay alive by the look of things (their future not being set at the time)?

If they retcon the new designs in favor of the old ones, I will feel something beyond mortal pain.

39 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

Time travel is the bumpy road. Saying they're a year older is the smoother way of explaining it away.

Who's to say they won't look like that when they're older? These are the same characters, are they not? Who says we will reach that day in the series? Who says that those designs are even concrete, seeing as Cole is going to stay alive by the look of things (their future not being set at the time)?

If they retcon the new designs in favor of the old ones, I will feel something beyond mortal pain.

Well.. as you said:

The reason him being not there may have implied that, but the next season they made the reason for that being that he learned to become invisible. Or, at least that's what Tommy Andreasen said.

Yes, they are not only the same characters, but they are characters, and thus, their designs can be altered on a whim. If the designs aren't concrete, that kinda just gives credence to the theory that they were altered by the timey-wimey ball. And we still literally saw Lloyd transform into his elderly self before our eyes. Green eyes, sure, he unlocked a new power, but not the other stuff.

I'm just saying, I think their design changes are just a bit too drastic to be simple aging (eyebrows, mouths, facial details). And I just can't reason a way for them to change so much in the span of a year (when surely at least two years have passed in the span of the show already) that doesn't sound like a bit of a stretch. Like.. Kai has his movie scar now. Did the mark on his eyebrow jump sides? They're thinner, did he pluck his eyebrows?

Eh, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how and if they'll handle flashbacks, or references to the old looks. If they actually bother to animate new ones anyway. Maybe a potential "Season 8 Classic Kai" would have his current face, but without a scar and with the old spiky hair. 

Is it just me that noticed the animation quality has improved a lot since Season 6? The way Lloyd and Nya's animations move in the preview make it look really improved, looks like halting the season for The Ninjago Movie improved the show's quality a bit. I can't wait for the whole Season 7 arc in 2018 since they probably had a lot of time to figure and write things out.

Edited by Ordinareo

After after looking at descriptions and official word on Twitter, it looks like the characters dressed in green (in the Temple of Ressurection) are Ninjago's royal family. I've got no idea who the guy with the helmet and beard is, but the other one is apparently the princess of Ninjago. In that case the old guy is probably her father, or some other relative.
It's a little weird that for all the years the show's been going on we're now finally seeing any sort of administration in Ninjago besides police.

This whole time I thought Harumi (princess) had white hair because she was actually old. But I guess not. The ninja will probably have to balance protecting them and fighting the SoG. This also might explain the baby. Maybe it's a newborn of that family? Maybe Cole is carrying it around to protect it from the chaos for the time being.

EDIT: never mind, from the set animations it looks like

The royal family is as much of an obstacle to the ninja as the Sons of Garmadon

Edited by gamejutzu