Nom Carver

LAAT/s project phase two: The real thing.

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So I finally got my hands on the new RGS and I must say it looks amazing, but is waaaay to big and with all its battle stations I would need at least 5 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas battlepacks (?) to fill it properly, and in some aspects I feel it a little flimsy and that handle feels a little stressed while moving it, since I ran out of dust-safe shelving space, I had to alter it to fill the next requirements:

• Be smaller (no shelf space)
  • Have one seater cockpit (I have only one pilot)
  • Have no bubble turrets (they make no sence to me)
  • Tight close side doors (if the doors are not going to close why the need of them)
  • Minimal play features (I simply display and swosh around a little)
  • Be strong and sturdy like a brick (a real brick)
  • Be aesthetically sleek

Now the backstory:

During the clone wars, the LAAT/i was one of the fastest and most effective ways to deploy troops into the battlefield, however many were downed by the CIS during deployments behind the enemy lines, and the crescent need of sending troops from onboard of the cruisers straight to the ground required of a vehicle capable of traveling on the limits of a planetĀ“s orbit, for those reasons Rothana Heavy Engineering developed a new variant: the LAAT/s fast enough to outmaneuver a heavy bomber/fighter thanks to its higher maneuverability due to its smaller size and aerodynamics, travel through hostile enviroments without further modifications thanks to it air lock pressurized side doors, and quick land/take off capacities to deploy and extract safely troops behind hostile ground, all this characteristics combined with the strength and fire power of the regular LAAT/i make it the ideal vehicle for elite troops and support personnel.

10159764806_f5621733e0.jpg

P2180634 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10026008176_a1bed98c3c.jpg

P2110792 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10025946124_c5d62aa8a1.jpg

P2110780 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10026011876_cbee4130b8.jpg

P2110773 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10026078913_6ec5995c24.jpg

P2110756 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10026017146_f314ee5e6b.jpg

P2110738 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10025998535_d6cc160597.jpg

P2110732 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

10025999885_1a70bf181e.jpg

P2110726 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

I know you are not big fans of set modding, but I hope you liked it, comments and criticism are welcome.

Edited by Nom Carver

Well, I for 1 like it, a bit rough the edge's , but I like it !

Being a bit of a Moc/Modder myself, I took a look at this iconic aircraft myself. And that came out completly different. So, I reccon, there's a lot of different LAAT's around , not just one.I like the smaller version, the look you didn't change , it feels like a LAAT Special , just for that fast hitting the target , what I don't "like" ( I feel there is room for improvement ) is the door section... the curve is gone.. so the model is a bit whacked out of sinc. The bubble canopy is to high on the model, just lower that by one or two plate's and I think your set.

Don't do the lime green stuff, replace that with something else, red, normal green, or any colour, just to set it apart from the rest.That is my take on your model, just fool around a bit more , and never be satisfied with something, keeping a critical eye on your own models can help you to improve yourself !!!

grtz Saint

Edited by Saint

Thanks for your feedback, regarding to the side doors, that is indeed its greatest flaw, I would use some help on that matter, the original solution doesnt work on this size, regarding to the green bricks, I dont have those bricks in any other color.

Lemme think .... hmmmm still thinkin... do some tinkering ... hmm I'm thinking some kind of hinge connection.. you should have some from the set. If you stick the minimum of 2 on each side on the connection you can build it ( in pricipal ) with a "bend "

A larger collection helps with MOC / Modding , but if you don't have a lot, you should take a look in what you've got. ( easy for me doesn't say easy for you )

Even a simple hinge connection with clips can help, you just stick the plate in, and by angle it will fit ( just try very gentle ) , don't try to put it in straight.

I hope this helps a bit :wink:

grtz Saint

Really nice mod :thumbup:

Could you replace the gray technic brick that shows up when the door is open with a "classic" brick?

Even a simple hinge connection with clips can help, you just stick the plate in, and by angle it will fit ( just try very gentle ) , don't try to put it in straight.

I hope this helps a bit :wink:

grtz Saint

I tried that before, you mean these: 44302.gif, I actually have quite a bit of spare bricks since I only kept built very few of the sets I buy, but the problem lies on the fact that the "sliding(?) mechanism" of the doors requires of one of these:2444.gif and that means that there needs to be a plate holding it on a very low position, the shape of the door is the easy part, the problem is how to keep the opening/closing "mechanism" working without getting to complex.

Really nice mod :thumbup:

Could you replace the gray technic brick that shows up when the door is open with a "classic" brick?

That technic brick is the backbone of the ship, inside there are a couple of technic beams that provide EXTRA structural support so its solid as a stone.

Thanks for your aid and compliments, I hope some one comes with another solution regarding to the doors, meanwhile the will do as they are.

Thats perfect :cry_happy: !!!, thanks a lot Bob :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Glad to help :classic:

Forgot to mention I used a 2L technic axle and a 1x2 brick with cross hole.

Glad to help :classic:

Forgot to mention I used a 2L technic axle and a 1x2 brick with cross hole.

No problem, I figured out already, Thanks again.

I like but its to blocky, one question, is that the clone wars LAAT or the Episode II version?

Blocky? the only blocky part of it was the rear end and now thanks to Bob has been fixed, is actually sleeker than the oficial set.

Regarding to your question, is the latest version.

Blocky? the only blocky part of it was the rear end and now thanks to Bob has been fixed, is actually sleeker than the oficial set.

Regarding to your question, is the latest version.

I guess you're right, I got the clone wars version a few years ago and it had a lot of the smooth curved slant pieces, if you know what I mean.

I guess you're right, I got the clone wars version a few years ago and it had a lot of the smooth curved slant pieces, if you know what I mean.

Yes, The new one has this brick 60477.jpg instead of these 42022.gif .

So when are going to see my awesome creations?? :grin:

And no honors for little old me ?? :cry3: Nah, just kidding.. This looks a lot better, I still think you should lower the cockpit section by 1 or 2 plates to blend it in more.

Grtz Saint

And no honors for little old me ?? :cry3: Nah, just kidding.. This looks a lot better, I still think you should lower the cockpit section by 1 or 2 plates to blend it in more.

Grtz Saint

Doing so would compromise the shape of the nose but thanks for the tip.