Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

REVIEW: 7760 Shunter Engine

traintech1.jpg

I have talked about it often and now I finally have it. In this topic I'll try to show you why I like this little engine so much.

All thumbs are clickable.

The set I got off ebay. And I consider myself lucky because it is in absolute pristine condition. I got it from a seller who had his sets in a display case for more than 20 years. I also got a 7823 Cargo Crane from him, also in superb condition.

Anyway, lets start with the box. Back then they showed pictures of the real model on the box, not "CGI" like today. Note the door, more on that later. The back side shows pics of the alternate model and some "play action". The box itself shows some minor shelf wear but is in pretty good and sturdy condition.

7760-box-01.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-box-02.jpg_thumb.jpg

The box is a flip top box like with the bigger sets today with the difference that you got to the contents, no "cover only lid". The inside of the lid again shows some more pics of the alternate model and some of the building process. My box even has the plastic tray inserts. The instructions, like everything else, is in A+ condition, so are the rest of the stickers which were never used.

7760-box-03.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-box-04.jpg_thumb.jpg

Now for the model itself. Mine fortunately came with all the stickers. Then again, I probably wouldn't have bought it if some were missing ;-) IMHO the most important stickers are the technical info on the back and the yellow-black warning stickers. Without them it just doesn't look complete. There's lots of pics on brickshelf that show it without them. Also very important are the piston rods. They add a lot of charm to the model. The motor can easily be replaced with a 9V motor but it just doesn't look right, either. The gray "rubber tires" and the piston rods are an integral part of the overall look. That's why I've decided to stock up my 12V tracks again X-D

7760-complete-02.jpg_thumb.jpg

What makes this model so wanted are some special pieces you only find in this set:

7760-special-parts.jpg_thumb.jpg

The blue 2x3 windows and the blue weight bricks are found only in this set. The doors and the 2x2 windows are rare but can be found in other sets. The doors were even on sale at S@H for a while.

Now for what I mentioned earlier - the doors. As you can see on the box picture the doors open "backwards". When you look at the cabin this makes sense since the second weight brick reaches inside the cabin by one stud (left most image). By using the door backward the hinges hide that one stud (middle image). Oddly enough the instructions show the doors used "forward" (right most image).

7760-door-01.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-door-02.jpg_thumb.jpg amwmxdbp8g0471jr6.jpg

Anyway, the model is a quick build, nothing spectacular. Once you're finished and after a quick overhaul after the long break it's off to duty.

7760-complete-06.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-complete-07.jpg_thumb.jpg

Well, there's not much more to add except that IMHO it looks brilliant "in action" X-D

7760-terminal-01.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-terminal-02.jpg_thumb.jpg 7760-terminal-03.jpg_thumb.jpg

There's a few more pics in the whole blue gallery[1]. Hope I could show you why I like it so much *wub*

[1] Thanks Athos X-D

Good that you enjoy Hobbes, you are lucky also fine set. *sweet*

and fine review *y*

I have often wondered why this set is so extremely (and I mean extremely!) expensive. It starts off on bricklink for about 275 dollars, up to a massive 3000! 8-

Can you tell me Hobbes why it has to be so expensive (I'm sure you did'nt get your copy for free)?

I didn't get it for free but didn't pay as much as brickshelf sellers ask, either.

As to why it is so expensive, I think it's mostly because of the rare parts and it being a 12V model and 27 years old by now. You can get one without box or instructions and missing stickers for less than 100 Euros on ebay, though.

12V trains are considered by many train fans superior to 9V and later. Not so much for the quite simple models but IMHO more because with exactly simple models like that TLC managed to bring forward some very nice looking trains. And this locomotive is one of the best looking among them. My 2 cents...

Thanks for the explanation, 27 years old.... man.... your set is in great condition for that age!

(Only the rubberbands on the wheels are showing the same cracks like most paintings from Rembrandt from the Golden Age do.. :-D )

:-)

Thanks for the explanation, 27 years old.... man.... your set is in great condition for that age!

I know, that's why I'm so happy I got it. I still have that ebay auction burnt into my brain where a MISB(!) set got away for 806(!) Euro shortly before last christmas... *wacko*

Congrats, tiger. A wonderful set in beautiful condition. And a lovely review with very good pictures. *y*

I can imagine why this is a dream set for you, and why it was one back in those days for every little

train loving boy and girl. It

(Only the rubberbands on the wheels are showing the same cracks like most paintings from Rembrandt from the Golden Age do.. :-D )

Yeah, but I'm watching an ebay auction with the original gray rubber tires in sealed bags. Black ones would do, too, but gray just has more charm :-)

and although I was a space boy then, I can still feel that it

Wonderful little set! And some nice parts too :-D Treasure it well, but I'm glad to see it set up in use rather than behind glass. As for the crane, you bought two? Or that was just the size of the set?

As for the crane, you bought two? Or that was just the size of the set?

No, I bought two :-$ The one on the right came from the same seller as the locomotive.

Excellent review Hobbes. I love this old shunter engine. What a great little set and it sounds like you really snagged a good one off of Ebay.

I shared the following image a while ago, but here's a shot of a diesel engine that's part of the Nevada Southern Railway. Someone (perhaps you) mentioned that it looks like 7760.

bouldercity.jpg

Lego should bring back some of these as Train Legends.

I shared the following image a while ago, but here's a shot of a diesel engine that's part of the Nevada Southern Railway. Someone (perhaps you) mentioned that it looks like 7760.

Yep, I remember, it was me ;-)

How high did your auction run?

Up to my bid ;-)

Nice review!

I didn't know that those 2x3 windows existed! And that those new orange life jacket which can be found in fire sets are not new pieces!

Your set is in excellent condition! It looks new, just with few dust ;-)

It's a very little nice locomotive.

I like to see Eurobrickers making reveiw with the sets they like a lot...

Look, what I found:

switcher-4.jpg_thumb.jpg

(Click image for gallery)

Bah... I want one now XD

Auction 1 (no instructions, no box)

Auction 2 (instructions, rest of stickers, box)

Auction 3 (instructions, rest of stickers, box)

Auction 4 (instructions)

Buy it now 1 (instructions, box)

Buy it now 2 (instructions, rest of stickers, box)

Yeah, but I'm watching an ebay auction with the original gray rubber tires in sealed bags. Black ones would do, too, but gray just has more charm :-)

You know, you're right. Back then I liked Trains/Town, Castle & Space. Since my dad was with Austrian Railways and I lived right across my hometown's train station Trains came first. But I would have given a lot to get that Explorer and 6080 King's Castle (my brother got 6073)... ah, those...

Happy-days.jpg

A few years ago I was lucky enough to win an ebay auction for a MISB 7760, and I believe the cost was somewhere around $600 *sweet* . I have not opened the box yet, but I certainly will at some point. Lego sets aren't happy when they are only kept in their boxes, but at the moment a have no room for a train layout :-( .

But when I build my 7760, I will build it with a 9V motor :-/ . The reason for this decision is that I want all of my trains to be able to play on the same railroad. I am telling you this, Hobbes, because when the time comes I will be more than happy to send you the new rubber tires. I hope they won't be dried from age, however.

If you are interested, please send your mailing address in an email to saturncoupe1999@yahoo.com.

Enjoy your trains!!!

Well, the auctions ended:

Auction 1 (no instructions, no box)

EUR 71.14 (less than I paid)

Auction 2 (instructions, rest of stickers, box)

EUR 178.77 (more than I paid)

Auction 3 (instructions, rest of stickers, box)

EUR 262.10 (more than I paid *wacko* )

Auction 4 (instructions)

EUR 106.00 (less than I paid)

Auction 5 (no instructions but box)

EUR 90.77 (less than I paid)

Auction 6 (instructions, box, rest of stickers, one MF missing)

still open

That should give you a rough estimate what you'd have to pay should you want to buy one ;-)

Hobbes: I realize this is an older review, but after attempting to build this little loco in red, and re-designing it to look more like the original model, I can see your love for this little set. 12V trains were truly amazing, and this little set must be among one of the best. Admiring my version in red, I can only imagine how much better this set looks in blue with it's rare 2x3 windows and blue shutters. There's only a few sets that offered these parts in blue (meaning the windows and the shutter 1x2 bricks). It's great to look back at these fantastic sets, and I must say that I really enjoy attempting to restore them to the originals.

A+ set and a great review. Added to TRAIN TECH!

PS. I envy the fact that you have this among your collection. What a great find!

12V trains were truly amazing, and this little set must be among one of the best.

Agreed, with both statements. To me it's the ultimate train theme LEGO ever made. My favorite trains are 7740, 7760, 7725 and 7750. I loved to browse through the catalogs as a kid and this is my favorite page:

basuluzv5k9mfouhe.jpg

I like it because of the presentation of the sets, the angle they were photographed. Also the background of 12V photography was plain and simple - just brown ground (almost like a carpet) and some lights and overhead power lines in the back. Reminded me of a big train station/train yard. And since I lived across from my home town's train station and my dad worked at one I loved those pictures.

I wish LEGO would re-release 7740 for the PF system. With SNOT and colors more like the original. there are lots of ideas on brickshelf. I'm not so fond of the PF system and Emerald Night (I like the German DB series better) but I would buy a revamped 7740 - and add a 12V motor first thing...

I believe if the prices would have been printed in the catalogue as well, we all would start to cry. :cry_sad:

Look here to find a beautiful MOC of a TEE, Hobbes.

Indeed the 12V era brought great sets, i too remember me driving my 7735 around my room! :wub:

I wish we hadn't sold it back in the day, but as the Brickster has clearly shown with his MOCs we can revive them with the newer systems.

I also remember Holodocs 12V loot when i was at his house, i'd be lying if i didn't say i was a little jealous, especially after he mentioned what he paid for it. The lucky bastard! :tongue:

Except for nostalgia, I think that most of old 12V trains are too angular and I'm not a big fan of them (of course this system is far ahead of 9V and RC in terms of interactivity). However I like this small shunting locomotive because its angular design match the real design. Furthermore its blue colour makes it original, neither black or red like others.

BTW this is an excellent review!

I also remember Holodocs 12V loot when i was at his house, i'd be lying if i didn't say i was a little jealous, especially after he mentioned what he paid for it. The lucky bastard! :tongue:

Did I tell you what I sold the "remains" of the bricks for? :grin:

Let me say it this way: I got more than what I paid... :cry_happy:

(Still owning 7745, 7866, acouple of 12V track, 6698, 6990, 6781, 6886, 6986 and 6989 from that loot.

Yes, you may call me lucky bastard)

Hello all,

This is my first post, so I wanted to make sure it was a good one. :classic:

After much procrastinating I finally decided to dip into 12V trains and begin building an obsession that could not be afforded to me as a child (In Australia Lego is rather expensive, even more so when the 12V and 9V trains were going around, I'm 27 now FWIW and my parents were migrants from the old Yugoslavia). I've put together a rather nice collection, but the one that had always caught my eye was the 7760. After much researching and looking through photos sent to me from no less than 10 different sellers on Bricklink (seeing as I was spending a lot of money I wanted to be very anal retentive about this), I finally decided to make my move on one that I felt was in the best condition for the price. When it arrived I was very surprised to see how good it actually was! Box - perfect, Instructions - perfect, Stickers - perfect, Bricks - perfect!

I've made a slight mod to it though (purists please don't shoot me), and installed some nice lighting to the set. I cut down the correct length of wire to ensure it was a perfect fit, and tracked down some stickers to place on the lighting bricks.

The allure of this set is the rarity of the parts, in particular the blue weight bricks and the 3x2 blue windows (the windows cost an OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT on bricklink, with the cheapest selling for $29.00 US each, if you have any of these spare, CHERISH THEM!). In any case, below are some images of the progress of putting this beauty together, including the lighting modification. Quite an easy mod to make, and the effect when the train runs is priceless. I have to say that I'm a very, very proud and happy owner of one of these now, and won't be letting it go any time soon!

77601.th.gif77602.th.gif77603.th.gif77604.th.gif77605.th.gif77606.th.gif77607.th.gif

77608.th.gif77609.th.gif776010.th.gif776011.th.gif

That last shot shows the lights in action front the front as the train flies towards me. :classic:

I hope that fellow owners of this magical piece of history enjoy it as much as I do.

Good review !

Picked one up last week, but the 2 weight bricks are missing, but the price was very good (50€, instr., no box). But it took me some time to find one in this price range.

Cheers