Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #84: Bad Blood

The heroes, feeling totally prepared now, set out walking down the Eubric highway. The sun rises in the sky a little, and the day turns out to be, while a little chilly, quite blinding and bright. A small breeze picks up.

86fba716-8648-4d4d-8307-90dc79bfcd30_zps120159e2.jpg

The road seems fairly safe, but the heroes keep their eyes peeled as they walk. Naturally, conversation strikes up among the heroes.

OoC: Roleplaying time. :sweet: We'll move on soon, but get to know each other.

EDIT: And you're all online. :grin: Go to town!

Edited by Zepher

As she meanders along the road with her company, Karie's curiosity on the the rest of the party grows. An Assassin of the Light and a Metasimian Black Knight. Surely some conversation would spark?

"So, any cool stories you guys want to share? Moments of badassery? Of just flat out, sheer dumb luck?"

Karie, I'm going to be absolutely clear. This mission is extremely delicate, and instigating either house could result in a lot of bloodshed. Don't let it happen again.

I soften a little. That said, out here I don't see why we can't joke around some. Thothwick, should we tell our thief here about the time Nyx nearly blew us to Helvetia?

Karie, I'm going to be absolutely clear. This mission is extremely delicate, and instigating either house could result in a lot of bloodshed. Don't let it happen again.

I soften a little. That said, out here I don't see why we can't joke around some. Thothwick, should we tell our thief here about the time Nyx nearly blew us to Helvetia?

"Look, I'm more than a little inquisitive. I'm sorry if you felt I was being a little instigative, but don't you find it suspicious that an armed caravan gets attacked, and the one guy who survives to tell the tale happens to claim it was the rival house who supplied the bandits? That and did you see both of their reactions? I was rather polite about the whole thing, and both Grady and Henry begin to direct the statement elsewhere. I'm not saying they're responsible, I just have an inkling suspicion."

Perhaps the Hinckwells were all the same, greedy, treacherous merchants who felt the need to hide all their transactions in fear of banks finding loopholes. What did her father say again? "A man prides himself not on the size of his wallet, but the integrity of his business"? Something like that.

Karie gives a small giggle.

"Well that sounds like it would merit some degree of mirth! Yeah, Thothwick, wasn't it? If you'd please?"

"Mreoow? <What the hell is mirth?>"

"Look, I'm more than a little inquisitive. I'm sorry if you felt I was being a little instigative, but don't you find it suspicious that an armed caravan gets attacked, and the one guy who survives to tell the tale happens to claim it was the rival house who supplied the bandits? That and did you see both of their reactions? I was rather polite about the whole thing, and both Grady and Henry begin to direct the statement elsewhere. I'm not saying they're responsible, I just have an inkling suspicion."

"Curiosity isn't a sin, Karie, but we should exercise caution. As I stated earlier, these feuding families can be dangerous. Believe me, I know of where I speak, I was at the Founders Day Ball Master Rone referenced earlier."

Karie gives a small giggle.

"Well that sounds like it would merit some degree of mirth! Yeah, Thothwick, wasn't it? If you'd please?"

"Aha, yes, those confounded bombs..." Thothwick sighed, at let out a reluctant chuckle, and addressed Karie. "Ms. Nyx is a thoroughly charming lady, but she possess a certain proclivity for pyrotechnics that I imagine gets the better of her more she'd like. Speaking of which, Mater Rone, did you happen to catch Mr. Hinckwell talking about a wondering explosives expert? Sounds like someone you and I know. Believe me, Karie, we'll be in luck if we stay out of their way..."

"Look, I'm more than a little inquisitive. I'm sorry if you felt I was being a little instigative, but don't you find it suspicious that an armed caravan gets attacked, and the one guy who survives to tell the tale happens to claim it was the rival house who supplied the bandits?

This whole thing is suspicious, which just capitalizes the need for haste.

"Aha, yes, those confounded bombs..." Thothwick sighed, at let out a reluctant chuckle, and addressed Karie. "Ms. Nyx is a thoroughly charming lady, but she possess a certain proclivity for pyrotechnics that I imagine gets the better of her more she'd like. Speaking of which, Mater Rone, did you happen to catch Mr. Hinckwell talking about a wondering explosives expert? Sounds like someone you and I know. Believe me, Karie, we'll be in luck if we stay out of their way..."

Hmm. You're right. I didn't think of that before, but I fear you may be right. Still, he always has worked for money above all else. Perhaps there'll be a way to press that advantage when the time comes.

Edited by The Legonater

Hmm. You're right. I didn't think of that before, but I fear you may be right. Still, he always has worked for money above all else. Perhaps there'll be a way to press that advantage when the time comes.

"Neither Shadeaux nor Hinckwell are short of funds. Regardless of which side he's on, we'll be hard pressed to outbid them."

Edited by Professor Flitwick

Karie acquires a puzzled look as Dyric and Thothwick begin talking about an explosives expert, clearly unaware of who they were speaking about.

"I'm out of the loop here, who's this explosives expert were talking about?"

"Mreoow mreoow. <I'd like to know as well, to ensure I don't wind up losing all my lives due to some stupid bomb.>"

Should we tell her?

It might not be worth getting her involved.

Edited by The Legonater

"Ugh! I'm right here you know!"

Karie stuff her hands in her pockets, looking about her surroundings for anything suspicious. She felt exposed on the open road, similar to the forest's in Eubric. Now there was something she didn't want the others involved in. Demons and ancient legends.

Karie acquires a puzzled look as Dyric and Thothwick begin talking about an explosives expert, clearly unaware of who they were speaking about.

"I'm out of the loop here, who's this explosives expert were talking about?"

"Mreoow mreoow. <I'd like to know as well, to ensure I don't wind up losing all my lives due to some stupid bomb.>"

Should we tell her?

It might not be worth getting her involved.

"Hmm... I think, at the risk of sounding patronising, Mr. Rone is right. You'd need not concern yourself with this individual. Just take no mind of this old man's worries."

Suddenly, Thothwick stopped in his tracks. A realisation spread over his face, and he grinned.

"'Old Man'? Bah! Listen to me! Ha! Being around so many young heroes does make one feel older than ones years!"

Trust us, kid. When and if something goes down with him, we'll fill you in. I wink assuredly.

Edited by The Legonater

"Ugh! I'm right here you know!"

Karie stuff her hands in her pockets, looking about her surroundings for anything suspicious. She felt exposed on the open road, similar to the forest's in Eubric. Now there was something she didn't want the others involved in. Demons and ancient legends.

Karie looks around for anything of note in the bushes, but finds nothing. The trees seem sparse - only a bird or two sits in them. The heroes are almost totally alone. The bandits most likely did not come back this way, it would appear.

OoC: I'm going to force you guys to role play a little more because I like it and the quest won't be ridiculously long no matter what, but do feel free to dig/investigate things on the side of the road/take action.

OoC: I'm going to force you guys to role play a little more because I like it and the quest won't be ridiculously long no matter what, but do feel free to dig/investigate things on the side of the road/take action.

I'm not complaining! :laugh:

Slightly bored and more than a little peeved, Karie hopped the fence and looked about in the grass for anything of worth or interest, Hershey slipping down and helping her look about.

OOC: Hershey's helping for roleplay purposes.

Karie scrounges around in the forest. She sees a little frog hop by, and Hershey almost gives chase before deciding better. Eventually, the two of them stumble upon an old rusty hilt in the ground. Karie frees it and finds a nasty looking crooked blade.

Rusty Dagger (WP:2 - Deals the Badly Poisoned Effect, Breaks After 3 Uses)

The universe, working in its strange ways, actually does give Dyric some results. Straying to the other side of the highway, and rustling around in the trees a little, Dyric chances upon a sword buried in the dirt, stabbed there with the hilt facing up. On the hilt is the Shadeaux house insignia, and on the blade itself is some dried blood. Sadly, it is nearly impossible to tell the sword's age, and who the blood might belong to is a total mystery as well. Dyric gives the sword a tug, but it snaps coming out of the ground and is useless. The sun hangs high in the sky now - the heroes can assume it is a little past midday, and with fall approaching nightfall can only be a few hours away.

Karie pockets the dagger, trying to attract as little attention to herself as she can.

"Hey, Dyric, you find anything?"

There's a sword, Shadeux make, it's shed someone's blood. It could be connected to the attack, but it seems older than it should be. We should keep it handy either way. You?

Karie waggles her rusty dagger in the air.

"Nothing but scrap metal."

Karie wraps her cape around her as she makes her way back to the road Hershey trailing behind her feet.

"Jeez, it's getting chilly out. If fall felt more like spring I might have enjoyed it more."

Edited by Kintobor

The heroes continue to walk as night begins to fall on them. There is talk of designating a watch, but even as the night falls, the heroes spy the smoke of an inn a little way ahead. They walk the last bit in darkness, under a huge hovering moon.

6167646837_49b59794e9_b.jpg

From outside it is clear that the inn is crowded, and that the heroes will be safe within - there is certainly no trickery or ambush awaiting them inside. They open the door. The lighting is dim, but the room is warm and the people seem friendly.

414b961b-8caf-4c6c-ab4d-6622fd1c13ff_zps1ec44c5c.jpg

Some armored men stand at the bar, ordering drinks, but there is room for the heroes to slip through and talk to the barkeep (and probably proprietor as well) if they so wish. A number of the patrons walk around, and two more sit at a table in the back, sipping down drinks and lamenting the troubles of life. What would the heroes like to do?

Karie wanders to the bar, squeezing through the crowd. She finds a seat and motions the barkeep over.

"Busy night, I see? What do you got to drink?"