Rufus

NEWS 10241 Maersk Line Triple-E

So does this set come in a box? :tongue:

-Sci

We get it. You like boxes all of a sudden now. :poke:

I'm sure they're going to put it as a Creator Expert set, so it will have one of those boxes. Which, I'm really not too fond of based on all of the other Creator Expert boxes. I never liked the Creator boxes, maybe because of the very basic and consistent (besides the logo revamp) look ever since it started.

I really like the creative lifeboat, but overall, it does look like a boing build. I'm just not that into the design to even consider it, not a bad set though.

Is that a new piece used on the mast?

No, those are all standard pieces. I'm not sure which one you're asking about. The diagonal bar is held in place with this in white (new color, perhaps). The top of the vertical mast looks like a light saber holder.

It was mentioned in the video, that the hull is azure. Isn´t it really Maersk blue? They wouldn´t make an azure Maersk ship, would they?

It was mentioned in the video, that the hull is azure. Isn´t it really Maersk blue? They wouldn´t make an azure Maersk ship, would they?

It should be because that color is a trademark color of Maersk. What we call Maersk Blue used to be called Pastel Blue and have LEGO color ID 11 according to Peeron.

The size and repetition of that model! *huh* Surely Maersk ships sometimes carry different coloured containers? Only a few bits of this model stand out for me, The mini lifeboat NPU, Gold propellers, the little crane (That, as they often are, cannot actually function) and the use of mugs for the front deck. I like all that dark red, but azure? Come on, we've only had Maersk Blue in Maersk sets, and now none?

Is that some kind of Ozi machine gun which becomes part of the lifeboat crane. Overall I think I'd have prefered a boat which does not look like the real thing, but instead in minifig scale which can hold about 4 - 6 of the containers from the Maersk train. Problem is at £109 it's not like it's a cheap way of buying blue bricks to make your own design.

Thank you very much for the information and the pics, Rufus and grogall! :classic:

For sure this is a nice set - but since I don't buy non-System-scale sets, I won't buy this.

I really hope that this set will only be one of two exclusive sets being released in January 2014 (like this year the Horizont Express and the Arkham Assylum) because I want a non-licensed System scale set, too (either an exclusive City, Castle or OT set) - otherwise I'll be getting very angry.

Klaus-Dieter

It is medium azure.

I guess it is easier for them to make it medium azure, or else they would have to make many new parts in maersk blue.

Also, the shade of blue of the real ships are possibly not always exactly the same. On most of the photos the Triple E looks brighter than the maersk blue, it is possible that the medium azure is closer to the real one.

It's one of the best detailed design Maersk in my opinion. I'll give him props for a great design; I always like his creations the best. The ship very unique and rare parts in the model which is tempting to buy just for the parts to use toward MOC's. The stickers is always a let down for me to on whether to get a set or not...due to them falling off or ruining bricks. I usually just leave them off anyways on all my models.

But, seriously...how many times will LEGO re-deisgn this ship?

I am more tempted to hold my $150 and wait for the Parisian Restaurant.

It is medium azure.

I guess it is easier for them to make it medium azure, or else they would have to make many new parts in maersk blue.

Also, the shade of blue of the real ships are possibly not always exactly the same. On most of the photos the Triple E looks brighter than the maersk blue, it is possible that the medium azure is closer to the real one.

Have just read that Maersk changed their corporate blue a few years ago; the shade is now close to Medium Azur. Hence this colour change.

I was hoping this would of been minifigure scale so that I could use it in my lego city. I guess i can always mod it but $149 seems too much to spend on a set just to mod it. Maybe if i have enough vip point I might give it a try.

Making that ship at minifig scale would be rather big.

The scale isn't yet right here, there should be more than 10 containers in width, imagine if you do that with 6-wide or 8-wide containers :look:

A Maersk ship thats not in Maersk blue? But biggest letdown is the stickers..and I will not buy any Lego model to display that relies on stickers to look nice. Sticker quality is awful lately, with stickers curling up an falling off not long after applying them. On smaller sets I can live with it but on expensive display models like this (and the ICS X-wing its a big NO-NO)

Also seems odd to make a "scale model" of the ship with the ship in half scale of what should be proper scale..

Would have prefered smaller containers (not nessesary with print or in same colour) so that the right amount of containers would be onboard

With 1x2 plates they could make more on-scale containers indeed. And more color variety. That, I would probably have bought. But here all these grey containers full of stickers do not convince me :sceptic:

Edited by antp

STAMPs were also an issue with the Maersk train a few years ago. I wonder if perhaps some of the STAMPs are a mandate from Maersk, so their logos and trademarks don't have to be chopped up into several sections.

I hate STAMPs, but having grown up in the 90s I'm fairly used to them. Hopefully nothing a careful cut with a craft knife can't fix.

Stickers in general have never been a problem for me. Maybe the containers could have been printed since so many are identical, but I feel like sets with lots of unique and specialized prints just seem wasteful, and those can be a necessity in a licensed product where the accurate patterns and textures can't be achieved with bricks alone.

Anyway, this set looks lovely. Love that engine, and the little window showing it off. The scale is impressive, as is the detail. Look at the little lifeboats!

STAMPs were also an issue with the Maersk train a few years ago.

Just the one on the front of the train, and it was not really useful to be applied (I didn't put that one, but put most of the others).

Is that a new piece used on the mast?

The radomes are inverted minifig ice skates, everything else looks normal. I make it 19 STAMPs a side, plus the one on the back. *Weeps for humanity* Edited by The_Skirrid

No, those are all standard pieces. I'm not sure which one you're asking about. The diagonal bar is held in place with this in white (new color, perhaps). The top of the vertical mast looks like a light saber holder.

That's it. I guess I hadn't seen it before. Thanks! :classic:

Edited by Lego Spy

Is this the first "non Star Wars" set to carry one of those UCS Style display name plates?

Is this the first "non Star Wars" set to carry one of those UCS Style display name plates?

I believe the 10177 Boeing Dreamliner set also came with a display plate.