Rufus

NEWS 10241 Maersk Line Triple-E

The ships are equipped with LRAD systems, which is basically a narrow and directed sonic blast. I thought I had seen a video where a cruise ship used it against some pirates in a little boat, but can't locate it now.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

snapback.pngFaefrost, on 30 September 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Is this the first "non Star Wars" set to carry one of those UCS Style display name plates?

I believe the 10177 Boeing Dreamliner set also came with a display plate.

Yes it does! It's the only sticker applied to my copy (to avoid STAMP) although the tail doesn't look quite right without it (but I can live with that).

Edited by kungpo

Is this the first "non Star Wars" set to carry one of those UCS Style display name plates?

Well, the 10177 Dreamliner have been mentioned above:

10177stk01.jpg

And I would say the 10187 Volkswagen Beetle also have it:

10187stk01.gif?0

Stickers, stamps, whatever. They won't be used by me. Besides, when was the last time you saw a container ship that didn't have many different colored containers from several shipping companies on it? A great advertisement for Maersk, and I don't mind the Maersk logo on the side of the ship, but putting the Maersk name on every container is overkill.

Edited by Off the wall

Stickers, stamps, whatever. They won't be used by me. Besides, when was the last time you saw a container ship that didn't have many different colored containers from several shipping companies on it? A great advertisement for Maersk, and I don't mind the Maersk logo on the side of the ship, but putting the Maersk name on every container is overkill.

I agree wholeheartedly. This model could be elevated from "good" to "great" with a rainbow of oceangoing containers in dark tans, browns, yellows, etc. The 2x4 tiles are a little harder come up with in any other color than Light bley, but hey, that's part of the fun of collecting, I suppose.

This model would look very dramatic with a greater variety of shipping containers.

As I suggested previously, I think it would look more on-scale with 1x2 than with 2x4, and that's probably easier to find in various colours.

Sorry, those props are NOT counter-rotating. CR means one clockwise, the other counter-clockwise... look at the stacked rotors of any helicopter built by Kamov, the two props one behind the other on a Westland Wyvern or the opposed "handed" props on a WWII P-38 Lightning.

Beautiful model, though... just wish they'd include parts to fill in the "window" for those who are so inclined. Woulda been REALLY nice if it'd been to-scale with the previous Maersk container ship, but I can understand why it's not... (Cost, price, sheer SIZE.)

The 2x4 tiles are a little harder come up with in any other color than Light bley, but hey, that's part of the fun of collecting, I suppose.

They are not so hard to obtain. E.g. #10220 have a few of 2x4 tiles - 4x red, 1x yellow, 11x white

The 2x4 tiles are a little harder come up with in any other color than Light bley, but hey, that's part of the fun of collecting, I suppose.

If you take a closer look, you'll see that only top containers are made of 2x4 tiles because of plate top.

All other containers are made of regular 2x4 bricks.

Edited by robt

-2009: 10193 Medieval Market Village

-2010: 10210 Imperial Flagship

-2011: 10217 Diagon Alley

-2012: 10223 Kingdoms Joust

-2013: 10937 Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

2014: 10241 Maersk Line Triple-E ?!

I hope I am not right with my assumptions :sceptic:

I was expecting a LOTR or Hobbit set, but crossing my fingers for a castle or a pirates set :wink:

Roebuck, I think you're comparing apples and oranges here, or in other words: you forgot quite a few sets, and the Maersk sets should rather be seen in a line of their own: the other Maersk ship in 2004 and 2010, Maersk train in 2011 - and Orthanc this year, Haunted House 2012...

I know about the other sets you mention off course, but I was under the impression we got a new exclusive released in January each year in connection to a ongoing Lego series or often as a “grand finale” set for a series that was about to “take a brake”. Like the sets I have mentioned in the previous post. This set does not fit in well with the previous years sets, but maybe you are right and I am taking about fruit :wink:

Does LEGO have some kind of ties to these guys? Why do they do Maersk stuff occasionally? Seems random.

Maersk

Does LEGO have some kind of ties to these guys? Why do they do Maersk stuff occasionally? Seems random.

One (if not main) reason is that Maersk as Lego is a Danish company.

I've read that directors of both companies in the 60s/70s were friends.

I guess that the companies kept good links then.

Now, here's a fun fact for you.

I just switched by Discovery Channel, and lo and behold, there's a documentary on the construction of the Maersk Triple-E.

Apparently, the real ship is so big it has to be built in huge sections, which are then welded together.

Any guesses as to what they refer to these sections as? No? Anybody?

"Megablocks."

I kid you not. How ironic is that? Has to be one of the most hilarious coincidences I've ever heard of.

Edited by L@go