Yooha

The Settlers go to Historica – part I: Pinewood cutter

I’ve been playing Settlers Online for a couple of weeks and I thought I will try to build some buildings from the game. Since I wanted to make them as similar as possible, I rejected the principle that I use only parts with existing colors.

These designs are almost solely for “display” purpose – so they don’t have interiors, since you don’t see it in the game. You cannot rotate the view in the game either, even thought the buildings outer views are designed completely so you can see them from behind – providing that I make renders from that angle as well. J

I added the original picture of the building in this post as well.

More are yet to come, depending on my designing and building rate, thought I don’t want to rush anything.

9979297474_c649612789_o.png

9979403983_58764559f6_o.png

(I used a bit better version of rendering for this 2nd picture. It's still not perfect, but looks better I think)

9979404713_727dabecba_c.jpg

This looks very much like your inspiration :thumbup: The roof of the main building is really neat and I like the fence design in the back.

One thing I would change: add a door handle to the green door. Excellent build :classic:

Very nice! Love the roof technique! Very much like your inspiration! I don't like the green door much, but great job! :thumbup:

Neat design! I've had a similar idea to make buildings from games as well, like: the Settlers, Age of Empires, Battle for Middle-Earth, etc. I haven't gotten around to it yet though. You seem to be getting a hang of it!

A lovely house! Now I´m really inspired to build something like this in Lego! Nice use of that tree on the roof!

Very nice! My only complaint would be the green door looks a bit off... Maybe if you had done it in tiles and extended it out by a plate....

Now I´m really inspired to build something like this in Lego!

that's what I always feel like too when I see your ldd mocs. I really like them so much, that I'm very tempted to build them with real bricks. That way you could also participate in challenges ...

anyway, the main building and the idea is just totally awesome, what I do not really like is the shaq, hope you can outgrow it :wink:

Lovely! I love the roof design, never seen that before! The fence in the back is also very cool, great design as well.

Thanks for the image. I have been thinking of doing a thatched roof in yellow like that, and now I know what it looks like!

Lovely creation, Some really nice techniques you've used there!

A rendering question: there seems to be some aliasing problems around the edges of the pieces (particularly visible between the pieces on the roof) is that caused by scaling in Flickr or is that already from the rendering process?

Thanks everone! Yeah, the green door is not my best.

I love that roof technique. How did you do it? :D

Which roof, which part?

that's what I always feel like too when I see your ldd mocs. I really like them so much, that I'm very tempted to build them with real bricks. That way you could also participate in challenges ...

anyway, the main building and the idea is just totally awesome, what I do not really like is the shaq, hope you can outgrow it :wink:

Your are quite persistent about that real-brick thing. But I still not planning it :) And what is that "shaq"? I don't see any NBA player here :laugh:

Lovely creation, Some really nice techniques you've used there!

A rendering question: there seems to be some aliasing problems around the edges of the pieces (particularly visible between the pieces on the roof) is that caused by scaling in Flickr or is that already from the rendering process?

I'm almost sure that this question was raised before. I'm not sure if it was you though. The aliasing problem exist in the original picture as well. The case is somewhat better on the 2nd image: If you see the border between the reddish brown and dark brown tiles on the roof which is on the left part of the 1st image, it is much better on the 2nd image. Making it even better is possible I'm sure, I will try my best. As I said, it is balance between quality and rendering time.

Edited by Yooha

The aliasing problem exist in the original picture as well. The case is somewhat better on the 2nd image: If you see the border between the reddish brown and dark brown tiles on the roof which is on the left part of the 1st image, it is much better on the 2nd image. Making it even better is possible I'm sure, I will try my best. As I said, it is balance between quality and rendering time.

That's what I suspected, and I hear you about the tradeoff between rendering time and quality. How long do your renders typically take?

Because as long as you don't use too much transparency, I would think that some more antialiasing would enhance the photo realism of your renderings without taking forever to process.

That the impact of aliasing varies between renderings depends I think on the direction of the light, if you have light reflected on an edge and that edge gets aliased, it will be much more visibly jagged than an edge with no glare.

How long do your renders typically take?

Usually 05,-1 hours. Foliage takes longer because of the many edges and peaks I guess. Yesterday I did a new render with the "better but slower" technique wich took almost 3 hours.

That the impact of aliasing varies between renderings depends I think on the direction of the light, if you have light reflected on an edge and that edge gets aliased, it will be much more visibly jagged than an edge with no glare.

Since there are many edges on every build, the chance that at least one ray of light is reflected on an edge is very high. As I noticed the outcome depends on the colors used. As you see on the 2nd picture, the dark brown-reddish brown border looks much better than the dark bronw-dark brown. And the red.brown-red.brown on the wall looks veeery shiny - that's what you meant I guess.

And I use LDDtoPOVray for the rendering if it says anything to you, so I can change only those thing that can be adjusted in the program. There is an "antialiasing depth" part in it, I will try it. But my 2nd building looks better I think, you will see :wink:

Edited by Yooha

I've used LDD2POV-Ray as well, can't say that I know a lot of those settings unfortunately however. But I remember that it was possible to set various antialiasing parameters.

An hour or three doesn't sound bad to me, since we are talking raytracing which is insanely heavy. Try making it take a whole night or more with higher antialiasing and see if the difference can be noticed? :classic:

My worst attempt using POV-Ray was a small landscape 32x32 with a river of four 8x8 trans-medium blue plates and a bunch of other transparent details. It took 25 days (!) to render on my i7 3770K, but only less than an hour when I removed the transparent parts. So that's why I say that transparent parts are heavy :wink: