studdles

Reproducing LEGO Sails

Just a standard Canon pixma laserjet. You can feed paper in from the top rather then the bottom tray, which works well. The paper came from cartridge world as opposed to an art shop, so I new they were printer compatible. They had several different stock types and weights.

I had to be a bit creative about fitting them onto A4 page. You get a little bit of extra space if you rotate the longer sails.

I want to redo the sail from Lego Viking 7018. The red dragon has totally faded, but it won't fit onto an A4 sheet. I'm wondering about cutting down an A3 sheet and selecting custom paper size

Hi! Me to have been made custom sails only I did not use a printer. Because printer ink is not water proof. So I use screenprint instead, with real textile inks that colors in the fibres of the cloth. I use regular cotton from a pillow case for example. Then after print I soak it in a thin mix of water and carpenters Hite e glue, that makes the stiffness to look like lego original cloth.

I use pre-treated artist canvas that comes in loose A4 sheets. The one I used was from Cartridge World and is called True Canvas 100% cotton canvas. A4 226 gsm (170gm2). My only issue was that on my printer I couldn't get a rich hue, I had to ramp the saturation right up, but your milage may vary

Thanks for sharing your sail making experience with us Israel Hands. I really like the use of pre-treated artist canvas and will be looking to buy some in the near future.

The Pirate Bay Sails

For references you might want to look at these links 

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/10076-library-sails/

Master Index
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/8875-lego-pirates-master-index/

Making Sails 1
https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/3351-tutorial-making-sails/

Making Sails 2

I'm going to see if I can reproduce the tattered sails 32652 from the "Silent Mary set 71042" but add the red stripes 

BrickLink - Part 32652 : Lego Cloth Sail Tattered Long with 4 ...

I also like the style of these from "Red Beard Runner set 6289"

Custom Replacement Laser Cut Cloth Sails for Lego 6289 6290 Red ...#

I'll if I can design something similar for the Pirate Bay. 

At the very least, just use the techniques here to make another set of sails, and use the worse set for the island mode

OK, I have a slight problem posting more pictures until I can get my password sorted, but for now...

I used two type of Canvas paper from CartridgeWorld. This was about probably over 5 years ago now

Paper Type: Canvas
20 sheets
Paper Weight: 220 GSM
£6.99 5 years ago
Not bad, but very shiny. A little bit too high gloss looking 

Paper Type: True Canvas 100% Cotton
5 sheets
Paper Weight: 226 GSM
£5.95 5 years ago
Re-order: A4TCANV
More expensive per sheet, and thicker then original Lego sails, however it has a nice textured Matt finish. Only downside is that you have to over saturate the colours, otherwise they appear "washed out". 

I don't know if you can still get these, but look for "Paper Type: True Canvas 100% Cotton" for printing. 

I have a few scraps left over. I might give them a test print over the weekend. I'll also see if I can design some tatty sails for the Pirate Bay set. 

As i said before, there are a couple of ways to make the holes in the sails. Standard hole punch. The only downside is that they are little large, around 6mm diam. The best I've found is to use "eyelet pliers" or a "belt punch". If you go to buy these tools, make sure the punch size is around 4.5mm to 5mm. Some sets have multiple sized heads. Dont get the 10mm one - way too big

Edited by Israel Hands
edit

Hi,

Does anyone scanned the sails of the new BSB? And the big flag with crossbones?

I like the idea to reproduce the sails with a more torn look. That would be more accurate to a shipwreck. I prefer the design of the Shipwreck Island’s sail, but with the new crossbones logo.

2 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Hi,

Does anyone scanned the sails of the new BSB? And the big flag with crossbones?

I like the idea to reproduce the sails with a more torn look. That would be more accurate to a shipwreck. I prefer the design of the Shipwreck Island’s sail, but with the new crossbones logo.

I just made vector versions from all the new sails. Israel, would you be interested in hosting/merging my files with your collection?

I also combined the new sails with the tattered look from 71042 Silent Mary. It also lets you mix and match, depending on whether you want the shorter or longer tattered sails on either the top or the bottom rigging. There's also a version for the bow. You can find both PDF and Illustrator files over at my Bricksafe: https://bricksafe.com/pages/DavidOrtmann/pirates-of-barracuda-bay
Let me know if you have any feedback!

BSB-2020-tattered-and-new.jpg.png.2d7adec6e9836ff16216bbe44bb93f47.png

Edited by Alazon

The one and only disappointment of the new LEGO Ideas BSB is the sails. The original 89 BSB has the stripes printed back and front. But the new LEGO Ideas BSB only has print on one side, and that means the ship only displays well from one side. I know that LEGO have only printed on one side for a long time now, but it really bugs be that the sails on the new BSB are inferior to the original 89 BSB sails. 

Alazon, Have you matched the size of those sails to the new Pirate Bay set. I think the old BSB sails may be too small. Also, will it be possible to include a scale rule on those plans. 

I'm not in a position to assemble my set yet, but I can scan the sails and upload them, which is a start. 

Is there someone who has the set assembled, willing to print off the new tattered sails, (even if its on standard paper), and photograph them in-situ, so we have an idea on how they look? 

"ClassicLook" I;ll have an attempt. Thanks to Photoshop its quite easy to overlay different elements and i like the idea of the Shipwreck Island sails. 

Which new crossbones do you mean? The one that is white skull with black outline?? 

13 hours ago, Alazon said:

Let me know if you have any feedback!

Alazon would it be possible to include a scale rule on each print, 5 cm or 10 cm to help with scaling when printing. One of these sort of things

Map Scales Graphics For Measuring Distances. Scale Measure Map ...

And also, can you change the black outline to a lighter gray, as a cut guide. That way, if you're not 100% spot on when cutting, the lines wont stand out

cc_-_lower_main_sail.jpg

55 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Alazon, Have you matched the size of those sails to the new Pirate Bay set. I think the old BSB sails may be too small. Also, will it be possible to include a scale rule on those plans. 

I'm not in a position to assemble my set yet, but I can scan the sails and upload them, which is a start. 

Is there someone who has the set assembled, willing to print off the new tattered sails, (even if its on standard paper), and photograph them in-situ, so we have an idea on how they look?

And also, can you change the black outline to a lighter gray, as a cut guide. That way, if you're not 100% spot on when cutting, the lines wont stand out

My sails are 100% scanned and vectorized from the new Bay sails! The tattered sails are matched in size for the bay.

I'll gladly change the outline and add a ruler as you proposed. I will print the tattered sails today and take a photo tonight!

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

"ClassicLook" I;ll have an attempt. Thanks to Photoshop its quite easy to overlay different elements and i like the idea of the Shipwreck Island sails. 

I don't know who is the creator, I've just found it at an other forum. This is a good inspiration for me.

49788619462_4dd71be684_z.jpg93636151_2878718322163745_4856764956940435456_o by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Which new crossbones do you mean? The one that is white skull with black outline?? 

I mean this logo:

49787761988_a7a0b378e7_o.jpg21322_Box3_v29 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

It would be great to have it in vectorized form. I'll try it on one sail.

32 minutes ago, ClassicLook said:

I mean this logo:

49787761988_a7a0b378e7_o.jpg21322_Box3_v29 másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

It would be great to have it in vectorized form. I'll try it on one sail.

Like this?:

Zwischenablage02.jpg.89275dc64e7333e335b4e322ad3d0918.jpg

I'll upload it to my Bricksafe in a few seconds. If you have any other wishes or want to have a go at it yourself, drop me a line or use the vector files! There's a pure black and a white version (with outlines, as seen above) available.

Edited by Alazon

48 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

This guy bought 2 "Pirates of the Barracuda Bay" sets! Nice!

Yes and he completed it with classic sets. My only complaint is the water... it's so unnatural with those straight lines.

34 minutes ago, Alazon said:

Like this?:

Zwischenablage02.jpg.89275dc64e7333e335b4e322ad3d0918.jpg

I'll upload it to my Bricksafe in a few seconds. If you have any other wishes or want to have a go at it yourself, drop me a line or use the vector files! There's a pure black and a white version (with outlines, as seen above) available.

Yes, that is what I plan to do. Maybe I'll give a try to the torn sails as well.

Edited by ClassicLook

13 hours ago, Alazon said:

My sails are 100% scanned and vectorized from the new Bay sails! The tattered sails are matched in size for the bay.

I'll gladly change the outline and add a ruler as you proposed. I will print the tattered sails today and take a photo tonight!

I've updated most files in my Bricksafe. And here are the promised photos (haven't finished building the third building) from a very first test of the torn sails (standard paper for now):

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Edited by Alazon

Spoiler

Just now, Alazon said:

I've updated most files in my Bricksafe. And here are the promised photos (haven't finished building the third building) from a very first test of the torn sails (standard paper for now):

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Now these look much better on the island than the rolled ones.

12 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Looking forward to see, how it looks overall once you've finished building! :thumbup:

Finished the set and added my torn sails, made from paper for the time being. Next step: Printing both sides of the sail!

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

2 hours ago, Alazon said:

Finished the set and added my torn sails, made from paper for the time being. Next step: Printing both sides of the sail!

Wow, that looks much better than the original! :drool:

I've further enhanced my PDF so you guys can print those sails at home. Now, there are additional pages for double-sided printing of the sails:

640x360.jpg

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker and created an account just for this thread. I love these custom Pirates of Barracuda Bay torn sails! I'll definately be using them for my build.

Does anyone have a vector version of the Renegade Runner sails? The sails in the sail library are low res and artifact-y. I'm afraid they won't print well. I haven't done a vector conversion in many years, and I'm really unhappy with my efforts so far. If someone's already done it, it seems silly to duplicate the work.

Thanks everyone!

30 minutes ago, PookaKnight said:

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker and created an account just for this thread. I love these custom Pirates of Barracuda Bay torn sails! I'll definately be using them for my build.

Does anyone have a vector version of the Renegade Runner sails? The sails in the sail library are low res and artifact-y. I'm afraid they won't print well. I haven't done a vector conversion in many years, and I'm really unhappy with my efforts so far. If someone's already done it, it seems silly to duplicate the work.

Thanks everyone!

I have a vector copy here: 

On 4/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, Alazon said:

I've further enhanced my PDF so you guys can print those sails at home. Now, there are additional pages for double-sided printing of the sails:

640x360.jpg

Im going to print a few batches of these on fabric and see how they turn out. Single sided since printing on both sides of fabric is impossible on my printer.