Zeahl

REVIEW: Friends Animals Series 3

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

It's that time of the year again! A new series of the friends animals has arrived and I have acquired them all to bring you another review (and to complete my collection, of course).

If you haven't read my reviews of the last 2 series, click on the links and start reading (but don't forget to come back here when you're done!)

Series 1 review

Series 2 review

all-bags.jpg

Let's get started and see if this series still holds up.

The bags

The design of the bags hasn't changed a bit from the last series.

bag-front.jpg

On the front is still a picture of the set that's included, with a cutesy picture of the animal in the top right corner and the Friends girls holding the animals of this series in the bottom left.

bag-back.jpg

On the back the new animals are also represented and it makes clear it's series 3 in a number of different languages.

bag-contents.jpg

Inside the bags we find a smaller transparent bag with the parts in it, and a small booklet which contains the instructions for the main set, and a link to the website where you're supposed to find the instructions for the alternative set and the combined set you can make when you've got all 3 sets of the wave. I say supposed because, no matter how hard I looked, on the site I could only find the instructions for the normal and combined sets, the instructions for the alternative build where nowhere to be found. (no worries, I still got them build, I just had to use the small sample image in the manual as a reference, which provided a welcome challenge).

manual-example.jpg

The inside of the booklet is basically the same as it was for the previous sets. clear instructions, with no part callouts (not that you would need them for these sets).

41023 - Fawn's Forest

Set Nr: 41023

Theme: Friends

Year released: 2013

Nr of parts: 35

Price: £2.99 / US$4.99 / €4.99

Build a beautiful forest home for the little fawn with flowers, leafy branches, mushrooms and berries, and then take care of her online!

41023-parts.jpg

The part collection for this set is quite nice. You get the expected collection of brown, green and pink pieces, but for me the best parts are the magenta cherries and the printed mushroom head.

41023-deer.jpg

Oh deer... This animal takes some getting used to. When I first saw pictures of it I hated it. When I first got it out of the bag I disliked it. After looking at it for a while longer I.... Kind of started to like it. By the time you're reading this it will probably be impossible to get me to part with it.

I am still convinced the snout is too short, but dammit, I can't stop myself from liking it all the same. All I can say is, reserve your judgement of this piece until you've got to hold it in your own hands. It really does look better in real life then on any of the pictures.

It's got a hole in it's back for attaching accessories.

41023-done.jpg

When you've completed the model, it should look like this. It's a nice little tree, with colorful blossoms on the leaves, a small hole (probably made by a woodpecker), and a classic mushroom. On the ground is another leaf with a feeding bowl placed on top for the fawn to eat cherries out of. I like it, it's a nice little spring scene (which we get in the autumn, but who cares, right?).

41023-alt.jpg

The alternative model is also quite nice, for a change. It created some nice undergrowth for the fawn to frolic around in. I just don't know how I feel about feeding it decorative bows...

41024 - Parrot's Perch

Set Nr: 41024

Nr of parts: 32

Build a pretty perch for the little parrot with columns, a pink roof and a seed tray, then take care of her online!

41024-parts.jpg

Some nice white fences, a couple of bright light blue round bricks and a dark pink basket make up for the most recognizable parts in this collection, but for me the biggest surprise was the Technic pins (I know you can see them on the front of the bag, I just didn't really look at the picture all that well before opening the bag).

41024-parrot.jpg

And then we come onto my biggest disappointment for this series, the "parrot".

It's just a normal friends bird, painted green. It doesn't even look like a parrot. In my oppinion they should've either used on of the existing parrot molds (which may not be cute and detailed enough for this series), or made a new mold. Or, as a third option, just call it anything but a bloody parrot!

Anyway, it's got a small hole on the top of the head to attach an accessory. And the molding is of good quality and detail.

41024-done.jpg

With the build done you get a small perch for the "parrot" to sit on and feed, and a bird house which has some characteristics of a roman temple. I quite like both of them, the perch for it's simplicity, and the birdhouse for it's great architectural design.

41024-alt.jpg

The alternative model I am less excited about. It just looks like some blocks jumbled together by a 5 year old.

41025 - Puppy's Playhouse

Set Nr: 41025

Nr of parts: 39

Build a fun playhouse for the little puppy with a seesaw, kennel, bone, dish, bow and flowers, then go online to take care of him!

41025-parts.jpg

This set has some nice medium lavender slopes and medium dark flesh masonry bricks, among a collection of white and tan parts.

41025-dog.jpg

And we get another dog, are they running out of animal types to use? I wonder. Well, at least it's not another poodle.

The dog actually looks kinda cute, with it's little cocked head (including hole for accessories). Everything considered it's a pretty nice mold.

41025-done.jpg

The dog gets a nice looking doghouse to sleep in, complete with a bowl containing a bone, which is the only sustenance LEGO dogs apparently need. Additionally there's a see-saw for the dog to play on (or a catapult to launch him with, depending on your mood).

41025-alt.jpg

For the alternative build the dog get's a shittier doghouse, which offers much less protection, and the feeding bowl gets better protection from the rain. Wouldn't want that bone to get soggy!

The combined build

all-alt.jpg

The combined build makes yet another protective alcove for the bone (still don't want it to get wet), a place for the deer to stand, with what I assume is supposed to be a faucet to fill the bowl with water. And a great looking house for the "parrot". The models all look well enough, but unlike the previous series, they don't really form a larger scene, which I found to be the best part about the combined models.

Conclusions:

all-animals.jpg

(Disclaimer: I don't believe in giving numerical scores. It is up to the reader to decide what they think of any given model, and I believe mandatory scores detract from this notion.)

minifigs: Like before, the animals are all made very well, but they may be a bit too cute for some. Though I still can't get over that damn "parrot".

Parts: A nice collection of parts, for the small price you pay.

build/design: No real complaints here. What you get is pretty nice, especially the main models.

Playability: Still the same, some playability, but adding a minidoll of you own makes the possibilities endless.

I am still very much in love with these sets, and hope this isn't the last we will see of them.

all-allanimals.jpg

The fawn and the hedge hog are definitely the best of this series and the turtle comes in a close third.

I really wish Lego City would release more animals, I can't bring myself to using many of these in my layout, I have used the turtle (as a tortoise) and the hedgehog (as an echidna) but that's it so far. I'm really curious to see what next series Orangutan looks you. BTW Its spring here where I live, Its always spring somewhere, Lego might be made in Europe but its sold worldwide.

Edited by Ajax

I didn't like any of series 2, and I see them everywhere (Does no one else like it? :lol:) and I missed out on series one (cute turtle come back!) but I must get the little adorable deer! it's so cute!

Thanks for the review. I like these little sets, and I'm sure that my daughters will too. I wish the fawn's legs were split, but it's growing on me.

On the sets themselves... I don't have much to say, but on your review... Well, nicely done on all technical points, but I actually laughed out loud at "parrot," dog catapult, "oh deer," and "shittier doghouse." I certainly did not expect that.

GOURD job.

Thanks for the entertaining review!

I was also unsure of the fawn until I saw it in real life. I don't know what it is, but there is something really cute about it that just isn't being captured by any of the shots that I've seen.

Does anyone know when the official street date is for the figures? I have the first 2 series plus a series 3 puppy found at 1 target and now that I have the money for the other figures, I want them plus debating on a second puppy but couldn't find them at the closer target(bunch of series 1 and 2 though) or the closest walmart(plenty of series 2, no series 1).

Does anyone know when the official street date is for the figures? I have the first 2 series plus a series 3 puppy found at 1 target and now that I have the money for the other figures, I want them plus debating on a second puppy but couldn't find them at the closer target(bunch of series 1 and 2 though) or the closest walmart(plenty of series 2, no series 1).

They're supposed to be out and about already, but I couldn't find them in any store either, so I had to order them from the online LEGO store.

They're supposed to be out and about already, but I couldn't find them in any store either, so I had to order them from the online LEGO store.

I was debating about doing that but if lego would have a really cool exclusive winter themed poly, I wouldn't want to use up my $5 vip on my order since i'd just need the 3 series 3 and some PAB parts.

Great reviews on all 3 waves of these animal collectibles!

I just picked up a couple bags from waves 2 & 3, and I think I'm hooked.